Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Yes I can definitely see a resemblance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Pierzak posted:

You clearly haven't played Dungeons of Dredmor :smuggo:

I have played Dungeons of Dredmor... I still don't understand why slightly heavier eyebrows are worth 30 dollars.

For that matter, why are :darksouls: and :xcom: worth 30 dollars. I know where they are used, but why... who are you people with all this disposable cash to throw at, like, three threads in the entire forum.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The dark souls thread is probably one of the most active threads in Games, and most people have bought the game on all the systems just because its convenient and gives them a wider player base to pvp with

So basically there's quite a bit of money to burn

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
XCom is a game series that has a lot of "welp" moments so that smiley does get used pretty heavily.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They're both games which can be absolutely brutal and that's why people love them.

But of course, unlike Dark Souls, XCOM has permadeath :getin:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
There's also :pgi:, which has no possible application outside of the MWO thread. There's one for DICE and Infinity Ward (makers of Battlefront and COD respectively). Vanity video game smilies are a thing.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

There's also a huge amount of Mass Effect smilies for some reason. :tali:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

LmaoTheKid posted:

Gonchar is a defense man in the NHL.

UZworm posted:

Havlat is a winger man in the NHL.

It's news to me that hockey players are somehow similar to video game animals with sirens on their heads

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Cease to Hope posted:

There's also :pgi:, which has no possible application outside of the MWO thread. There's one for DICE and Infinity Ward (makers of Battlefront and COD respectively). Vanity video game smilies are a thing.

And here I thought it was just a spinning cow skull.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smart Car posted:

There's also a huge amount of Mass Effect smilies for some reason. :tali:

Mass Effect is an extremely popular series spanning several games over like six years and the last game in particular generated an enormous amount of controversy.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

UZworm posted:

Wait.

Is it not?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

:wow:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Those two are really well synched.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Tagra posted:

:smug:
:smuggo:

Why did someone buy slightly heavier eyebrows?

:smuggo: is named for forums poster Chuggo who has enormous, bushy eyebrows like those depicted in the emoticon

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Sagebrush posted:

Mass Effect is an extremely popular series spanning several games over like six years and the last game in particular generated an enormous amount of controversy.

Well yeah, but the majority of the Mass Effect smilies were bought in an ME2 thread in the first year of that game's release. I can't remember the username but most, if not all, of them were bought by one guy with a pretty disposable income. Justified it by saying it just would have been spent on pizza or something else trivial anyway, I think.

That was kind of an insane thread. There was even a Mass Effect themed Secret Santa between posters that year. (I still have my gift, a knitted varren plush)

e: vvv makes sense to me

Traxus IV has a new favorite as of 02:20 on May 12, 2013

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Traxus IV posted:

Well yeah, but the majority of the Mass Effect smilies were bought in an ME2 thread in the first year of that game's release. I can't remember the username but most, if not all, of them were bought by one guy with a pretty disposable income. Justified it by saying it just would have been spent on pizza or something else trivial anyway, I think.

I always just figured part of it was using smilies and forum goodies as a way to give Sr. Lowtax money. I mean, if SomethingAwful has brought a person great joy I don't think it's unreasonable that they'd want to spend some money on it so the people running it can eat and pay their rent. I'd spend more money here if I wasn't broke.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Tsaedje posted:

:smuggo: is named for forums poster Chuggo who has enormous, bushy eyebrows like those depicted in the emoticon

Really? I always assumed it was a supposed to be a reference to Groucho Marx's eyebrows.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I always just figured part of it was using smilies and forum goodies as a way to give Sr. Lowtax money. I mean, if SomethingAwful has brought a person great joy I don't think it's unreasonable that they'd want to spend some money on it so the people running it can eat and pay their rent. I'd spend more money here if I wasn't broke.

With all the avatars and emotes I've bought over the years, I've probably given Lowtax.. drat, its gotta be more than a million dollars by now.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

It's news to me that hockey players are somehow similar to video game animals with sirens on their heads

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Yes I can definitely see a resemblance

They're used when either Martin Havlat (:havlat:) or Sergei Gonchar (:gonchar:) scores; the :siren: on the head is because hockey uses a red lamp to indicate a goal. They're both from around 2006 (I think?) and they basically refer to stupid inside jokes from the SAS hockey threads lost to the sands of the archives.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

UZworm posted:

It is. PGI is the developer of Mechwarrior Online, and that cow skull is their logo.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Met posted:

Those two are really well synched.

:wow:, :drat:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's actually one of the most popular game series in Games. In fact, according to what a Bioware employee told a goon, the Citadel DLC contains several references to Something Awful posters.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

VisAbsoluta posted:

Also, :master: originates from a great thread that was eventually goldmined. The first post using it, I guess.

In short, the OP from that thread posted a series of commentaries on some guy's LiveJournal, which in turn were replied like this: "OH and one last thing... to the person that posted a comment here anonymously two days ago: i hope it makes you feel like a very funny person to make fun of me (over the internet, not to my face) and not even sign your masterstroke!".

EDIT: VVVVVV Thanks for letting me know that I'm blind! :downs:
Although I knew of that thread, I had never bothered to actually read it until now. It sure was a joyride, but did anybody else get pretty weirded-out by the sudden turn the thread took once it was revealed that it had been a guy posing as a girl? The OP says something like "I'm not a homophobe, I just want to get this guy back" and then follows it up with something along the lines of "so I'm going to burn down this faggy spider's gay pastel-colored buttrape web of deception!". And repeats that sort of message in his posts from then on out. Like, he and his friends were clearly incredibly offended and disgusted by the thought of thinking they were chatting up a cute girl when it was actually a guy and as such it was totally reasonable to spend several days staying up all night to concoct their revenge.

And the thread was right there with them, going on about how much of a big sicko human being this guy was and how they needed to contact everybody the guy might know and tell them all about it. And plaster evidence all over his college, and contact the local media, and also sue the guy because pretending to be a girl on the internet is brain-rape. One guy even came in with some detailed fanfiction fantasy about confronting the guy in a bar, outing him in front of his friends (who immediately turn on him, natch), then they all kick the poo poo out of him while the crowd cheers. Yeah, SA was a different beast back in those days, but it's still weird to see that kind of thing go mostly unopposed. A few people tried to point out that the language being used in the thread was getting pretty creepy, but they were immediately shouted down and justified themselves by comparing the girl-impersonator to a serial pedophile rapist. There was even a mod or two who posted in there, so it's not like it just went unnoticed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
:fyh:

So, how 'bout this one. I guess the bacon thing is because the girl is some internet person, but is the repent stuff because she was yelled at by a preacher? The code is FYH, my first guess would be it standing for "gently caress you ho", but that doesn't explain anything.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Livingtrope posted:

:fyh:

So, how 'bout this one. I guess the bacon thing is because the girl is some internet person, but is the repent stuff because she was yelled at by a preacher? The code is FYH, my first guess would be it standing for "gently caress you ho", but that doesn't explain anything.

I was never clear on it either, but it came up way back in the thread:

cletepurcel posted:

It's from a GBS thread about this guy dealing with a really dumb student and her horrible stories, which included that line (I believe the character in the story was a Muslim). The girl in the avatar is the student. It was a pretty funny thread but I have no idea what made someone decide it was worth spending $30 on.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

I was never clear on it either, but it came up way back in the thread:

I vaguely remember it, one of the characters ate bacon or something and since she was Muslim this caused her to be outcast from the community, who would throw bacon at her while shouting "repent, bitch, repent." The main character also freaked out about being raped because someone smelled her breath to see if it smelled like bacon without her permission, among other ridiculous things.

It was a special thread.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ooh, so what are the Citadel DLC references?

Zenzirouj posted:

Although I knew of that thread, I had never bothered to actually read it until now. It sure was a joyride, but did anybody else get pretty weirded-out by the sudden turn the thread took once it was revealed that it had been a guy posing as a girl? The OP says something like "I'm not a homophobe, I just want to get this guy back" and then follows it up with something along the lines of "so I'm going to burn down this faggy spider's gay pastel-colored buttrape web of deception!". And repeats that sort of message in his posts from then on out. Like, he and his friends were clearly incredibly offended and disgusted by the thought of thinking they were chatting up a cute girl when it was actually a guy and as such it was totally reasonable to spend several days staying up all night to concoct their revenge.

And the thread was right there with them, going on about how much of a big sicko human being this guy was and how they needed to contact everybody the guy might know and tell them all about it. And plaster evidence all over his college, and contact the local media, and also sue the guy because pretending to be a girl on the internet is brain-rape. One guy even came in with some detailed fanfiction fantasy about confronting the guy in a bar, outing him in front of his friends (who immediately turn on him, natch), then they all kick the poo poo out of him while the crowd cheers. Yeah, SA was a different beast back in those days, but it's still weird to see that kind of thing go mostly unopposed. A few people tried to point out that the language being used in the thread was getting pretty creepy, but they were immediately shouted down and justified themselves by comparing the girl-impersonator to a serial pedophile rapist. There was even a mod or two who posted in there, so it's not like it just went unnoticed.

~*!~Different times~!*~

I thought it was amusing at first but then it kept going and I more or less blocked it out of my memory. The dude who was victimised in the thread wasn't even the weirdest person I've seen ever.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So what's going on with the flood of "<2 dogs screwing> You see? 10 bucks. I could have bought 2 new titles with that." custom titles? I'm pretty sure I've seen at least a dozen of them.

I'm not really sure why but the kinda make me laugh every time I see one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kastein posted:

So what's going on with the flood of "<2 dogs screwing> You see? 10 bucks. I could have bought 2 new titles with that." custom titles? I'm pretty sure I've seen at least a dozen of them.

I'm not really sure why but the kinda make me laugh every time I see one.

Morally Inept is a dog rapist. He buys those for people who get him mad.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Oh god, I hate duplicate titles. At least the LF sexy furry titles were unique, and the LP meat titles were personalized. Even hardhat Spidermans at least have unique quotes. Put some effort in your trolling, scrubs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hackbunny posted:

Oh god, I hate duplicate titles. At least the LF sexy furry titles were unique, and the LP meat titles were personalized. Even hardhat Spidermans at least have unique quotes. Put some effort in your trolling, scrubs

I think someone just made you angry, which is often considered the work of a troll.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I just admire the fact that Morally Inept, despite trying to underplay and separate himself from the dog-rape quote at every opportunity otherwise, has still decided to make himself the guy who buys other people avatars of dog sex. Way to make people not think of bestiality when they think of you, Morally Inept! Gold star!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The text under the fuckin' dogs is different each time, but the fuckin' dogs are the same. Ugh, I've spent too long looking at fuckin' dog titles.

While we're talking about duplicate titles... there are multiple people with the

quote:

:shepface:God I loving love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this lovely title:shepface:

title - anyone know who gave those out?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A bunch of new smileys since I last checked.

:anasta:

:cult:

:mil101:

:orks101:

:mrgw:

What's the story behind these?

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Met posted:

:mil101:

:orks101:

I'm guessing the Mil101 is a military guy talking about military facts. Probably doubles for someone leading a death by powerpoint.

Orks101 is probably the same, just for Traditional Games

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Met posted:

:cult:

This was a total bro looking guy who was filmed looking shocked while the NCAA sanctions were being levied upon Penn State. It's unclear whether he was a Penn State student or a high school student visiting.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'm curious where :homebrew: came from, if it's from GWS or whatever it's called now and some craft beer thread or what.

I still love :retrogames: more though.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

title - anyone know who gave those out?
Not sure on the who, but the where was the Diablo 3 gold making thread in the Blizzard subforum. I guess someone made a lot of money in that thread and decided to celebrate by carpet avataring a few pages of it.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Smart Car posted:

Not sure on the who, but the where was the Diablo 3 gold making thread in the Blizzard subforum. I guess someone made a lot of money in that thread and decided to celebrate by carpet avataring a few pages of it.

I might be wrong but I think it was given to people who got irrationally angry or went on long sperg fests over the Real Money Auction House and their profits derived from it. As for who gave them :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Traxus IV posted:

That was kind of an insane thread. There was even a Mass Effect themed Secret Santa between posters that year. (I still have my gift, a knitted varren plush)

e: vvv makes sense to me

It was a Goon named AG3 or AG-3 or something like that, IIRC.
And I think he / she spent in excess of $100 on all those emoticons :shepface:

And that was a pretty good thread, too!