Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Barudak posted:

Did Harrison narrate Thomas the Tank Engine? I don't think so.

Ringo did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I remember an old P.J. O'Rourke column where he went around asking senators who their favorite Beatle was. Hardly anyone picked John (and their answers showed that they barely knew their names). O'Rourke pointed out that John is the correct answer.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

SedanChair posted:

I remember an old P.J. O'Rourke column where he went around asking senators who their favorite Beatle was. Hardly anyone picked John (and their answers showed that they barely knew their names). O'Rourke pointed out that John is the correct answer.

I mean, as John's tax politics show, he was more than willing to sell out working-class interests for a few quid kept in his coffers, so I think it's debatable.

(The correct answer is gently caress the Beatles, Rolling Stones; the most correct answer is gently caress the legacy of white musicians ripping off black musicians and getting paid for it.)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The correct answer is Ringo. He's not the most important one, but he's the funnest.
The most correct answer is Johnnie Johnson.

And really, I think 1 for you, 19 for me, is a bit high. Slightly less than what's her name who wrote Pippi Longstocking had, though, hers was over 100%.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

(The correct answer is gently caress the Beatles, Rolling Stones; the most correct answer is gently caress the legacy of white musicians ripping off black musicians and getting paid for it.)

The Rolling Stones were good friends and patrons to the black guys they "ripped off" (er, at least as far as blues and reggae goes, not so sure about disco). And it's really shallow to treat musical genres as something that are inherited or transmitted through skin tone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack of Hearts posted:

The Rolling Stones were good friends and patrons to the black guys they "ripped off" (er, at least as far as blues and reggae goes, not so sure about disco). And it's really shallow to treat musical genres as something that are inherited or transmitted through skin tone.

And the Beatles more stole from India for Sgt Peppers and beyond anyway.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Jack of Hearts posted:

Meanwhile Led Zeppelin who really didn't give credit to the blues musicians they got their music from got the Kennedy Center Honors...alongside Buddy Guy :psyduck:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Cultural appropriation is a tricky issue that's outside the scope of this thread, but the systemic exploitation of black artists by the music industry is academically interesting and really reprehensible.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

Cultural appropriation is a tricky issue that's outside the scope of this thread, but the systemic exploitation of black artists by the music industry is academically interesting and really reprehensible.

I don't really doubt that, but at least with regard to the Stones, it's pretty well established that they did right by their inspirations. Howlin' Wolf's widow recounted that Wolf would affectionately refer to Mick Jagger as "my Mick Jagger." The Chess Records guys were basically delighted by the success of the Rolling Stones, who idolized them. And I don't think it's fair to regard that as racial exploitation.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

Meanwhile Led Zeppelin who really didn't give credit to the blues musicians they got their music from got the Kennedy Center Honors...alongside Buddy Guy :psyduck:

The same Kennedy Center Honors that got into a bit of a public poo poo flinging match when they were called out for only having named like two Latino artists in their history? They weren't sensitive to the fact that Zeppelin hasn't been explicit about their influences?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jack of Hearts posted:

I don't really doubt that, but at least with regard to the Stones, it's pretty well established that they did right by their inspirations. Howlin' Wolf's widow recounted that Wolf would affectionately refer to Mick Jagger as "my Mick Jagger." The Chess Records guys were basically delighted by the success of the Rolling Stones, who idolized them. And I don't think it's fair to regard that as racial exploitation.

Yeah, that's why I said "gently caress the Beatles, [pro-] Rolling Stones," because the Stones did right on an individual level (while participating in a lovely system).

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Buddy Guy owns. Listen to Buddy Guy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rand Paul addressed the Iowa GOP last night. He got a 25 second standing ovation (video at the link, go to 1:45) for suggesting that Benghazi should prohibit Hillary from higher office. And Politico notes that Paul's ideology will find a lot of sympathizers in Iowa and New Hampshire and that he's a better politician than his dad (admittedly: a low bar). It's very easy to dismiss Rand Paul because, well, he's Rand Paul and it'd be a disastrous general election with him at the top of the Republican ticket, but he'll do a lot of damage along the way and he's definitely running.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Who exactly is funding PPP to run ridiculous music polls.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Joementum posted:

Rand Paul addressed the Iowa GOP last night. He got a 25 second standing ovation (video at the link, go to 1:45) for suggesting that Benghazi should prohibit Hillary from higher office.

They really are poo poo scared of Hillary, aren't they?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Quasimango posted:

Who exactly is funding PPP to run ridiculous music polls.

Whomever they are, don't let them stop. We need more. I suggest The Ramones next.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Think about it from a really broad perspective. The Democratic party has already fielded the first minority candidate for The Presidency and won...twice.

That's gigantic..Its history and we got to witness it.

Now, they'll run the first woman candidate for President...not Vice President..and win again.

With the state that the GOP is in, it further calcifies the notion that the modern GOP is basically made by and totally for really angry, obstinate, completely off putting white guys. Guys that think The Civil Rights Act was governmental overstep. Guys that have no problem with women getting paid less than men for the same productive output in a job. Guys that will split hairs about rape.

From a brand management perspective in a population of The United States context, this is not a good fit when seeking national office like the Presidency.

Strip away the social wedge issues and the GOP is symbolized by some accountant or MBA basically wagging his finger at you and screaming about how taxes are too high. Life is more than that and people know it.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
Two terms for Hillary means it'll be 2024 by the time the GOP gets another shot at the Presidency. By that time the Supreme Court will be at least 6-3 towards the Dems, Obamacare will have been fully implemented for a decade, the Hispanic/Black vote will have increased further still etc. 2016 is literally the GOP's last stand.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Gentlemen, allow me to present what Intrade's shutdown makes :911: miss out on.

Yes, those are 15 to 1 odds on Biden winning the nomination. Along with 2.75:1 on Hillary, for that matter:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jawidar posted:

Two terms for Hillary means it'll be 2024 by the time the GOP gets another shot at the Presidency. By that time the Supreme Court will be at least 6-3 towards the Dems, Obamacare will have been fully implemented for a decade, the Hispanic/Black vote will have increased further still etc. 2016 is literally the GOP's last stand.

People said the GOP was done as a party after 8 years of Bush and 2008 and then came 2010 which might have more horrendous long term implications than even 2008. There is always going to be a audience for what they push and they can do A LOT of damage to the country without holding the white house or senate.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The GOP was also convinced it would keep the presidency for 100 years after Bush defeated Kerry. Yes, there's a demographic shift occurring, but that in no way lets anyone accurately predict the political landscape 10 years from now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

People said the GOP was done as a party after 8 years of Bush and 2008 and then came 2010 which might have more horrendous long term implications than even 2008. There is always going to be a audience for what they push and they can do A LOT of damage to the country without holding the white house or senate.

The Klan was still influential decades after their influence peaked in the 1920s. It's not exactly the same thing as that particular issue, but none of the factors mentioned assuming Hillary gets two terms (a very favorable SCOTUS to the Democrats, longterm appreciation of Obamacare, and increased minority demographics) are projected to change at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

computer parts posted:

The Klan was still influential decades after their influence peaked in the 1920s. It's not exactly the same thing as that particular issue, but none of the factors mentioned assuming Hillary gets two terms (a very favorable SCOTUS to the Democrats, longterm appreciation of Obamacare, and increased minority demographics) are projected to change at all.

Unless there is some kind of huge wave which doesn't seem to be realistic, the GOP has the upper hand to control the house and the majority of statehouses for the foreseeable future. The 2010 elections will still be screwing us in 20 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

Unless there is some kind of huge wave which doesn't seem to be realistic, the GOP has the upper hand to control the house and the majority of statehouses for the foreseeable future. The 2010 elections will still be screwing us in 20 years.

The wave is ongoing, that's the point. Hell, just the fact that Hillary winning in 2020 would be enough to (theoretically) sweep the state legislatures.

And again, holding the House has absolutely nothing to do with SCOTUS.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Looks about right for the players in the game. Nothing past 34 to one is going to run. Any of the Dwarves look like odds-buckers to you guys, if Hillary decides not to win?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

Looks about right for the players in the game. Nothing past 34 to one is going to run. Any of the Dwarves look like odds-buckers to you guys, if Hillary decides not to win?

Jim Webb would be funny. (He was Reagan's secretary of the navy)

You could basically roll on any current or former Senator or Governor from a "southern" state being a decent dark horse prospect.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

hobbesmaster posted:

Jim Webb would be funny. (He was Reagan's secretary of the navy)

You could basically roll on any current or former Senator or Governor from a "southern" state being a decent dark horse prospect.

A Virginian maybe but the days of a good ol' boy from Arkansas or Georgia having a premium on the nomination are over, the states are too stratified these days to think a favourite son candidacy will overcome the national map. Al Gore couldn't carry Tennessee and Mitt Romney never even had a chance in either of his home states.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Schweitzer... but he'll be a freshman senator by 2016.
Pretty much if anyone outside this list becomes a contender it'll be a shocker.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

Schweitzer, definitely. I'd take money on that right now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Warcabbit posted:

If Hillary decides not to run, Biden will be able to take the nomination rather easily, which is why the 15:1 odds on him are silly.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Ted Cruz is at 33 to 1 for the Republican nomination!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Ted Cruz is at 33 to 1 for the Republican nomination!

And if you really want to throw money away, they have some guy named "Mitt Romney" at 50 to 1.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Aliquid posted:

Schweitzer, definitely. I'd take money on that right now.

Clinton-Schweitzer '16 would be a legendary stomping. Really hope he's got some national ambitions; despite not being the perfect candidate on several issues, I'm really a fan of his.

Edit: vvvv Well that's a boner killer vvvv

mdemone fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 12, 2013

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

mdemone posted:

Clinton-Schweitzer '16 would be a legendary stomping. Really hope he's got some national ambitions; despite not being the perfect candidate on several issues, I'm really a fan of his.

Yeah... but a ticket with two 60 year olds and a Republican senate seat pickup?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hm. Okay, let's check this guy out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Schweitzer
Youngish, ran some governors associations so he's got contacts, western. Irish-German. Speaks arabic, good international experience. Knows water, which is a hugely important thing I, personally, don't think is getting enough attention. Las Vegas worries the hell out of me.

Got a good dog, and a rep for using a big stick. Won against a stacked republican side.
Folksy sort...

Guy's got solid potential, I tell you what.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Yeah... but a ticket with two 60 year olds and a Republican senate seat pickup?

Wrong Clinton bud :colbert:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Schweitzer is going to run for the open Senate seat in Montana in 2014. If you're a fan of the guy, you'll want him to stay there rather than throwing away a Democratic seat in the Senate on a VP spot.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Demiurge4 posted:

Hilary crushes all possible Republican candidates in trial heats by double digits, even in states like Texas. In polling, she gets 25% support from Republicans. All signs are that she will steamroller the GOP in 2016.

They're absolutely correct to be poo poo-scared of Hillary.

Which of course is why all they can talk about is Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi. I'm convinced the reason they're firing the old 1990s Clinton Scandal Machine again is to remind Republicans why they hated her and her husband in the first place, and to drive down her support among Republicans. It's a necessary first step if they're going to have any hope of beating her in 2016.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Joementum posted:

Schweitzer is going to run for the open Senate seat in Montana in 2014. If you're a fan of the guy, you'll want him to stay there rather than throwing away a Democratic seat in the Senate on a VP spot.

Is there no one on the bench for the Democrats in Montana? Or is this just one of those assume the worst for the sake of planning type things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rygar201 posted:

Is there no one on the bench for the Democrats in Montana?

I may be off-base here, but I'm not sure there are too many Democrats even eligible to run for office in Montana.

• Locked thread