Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

Official Bizness posted:

What a childish piece of poo poo. I'm completely boggling that he's petty enough to hoard his bird away from social interaction it enjoys. :psyduck: When it starts to scream without any company or you lie about it screaming he'll hopefully change his mind.

You want childish? I usually talk to and visit with Bird while I'm cooking because, well, I'm like a foot away from her and it's a good time killer while I wait for stuff to boil and all that. While I was doing that today, he came by and covered up her cage. It was awkward because I was still cooking and noisily chopping things for like the next half hour so it's not like she could even sleep or anything...

It's annoying because the ideal situation for me would be for Bird to enjoy the company of anyone and everyone who comes into the apartment, and for her to really love him. My goal is not for her to love me. I am just trying to make her happy, but I guess I've crossed the line. I should've been less involved, and I guess I need to realize it's out of my hands now. My roommate leaves after me and gets home before me, so I will not see Bird again except on the odd occasion. I hope he mans up and starts doing things properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

electricgoat posted:

You want childish? I usually talk to and visit with Bird while I'm cooking because, well, I'm like a foot away from her and it's a good time killer while I wait for stuff to boil and all that. While I was doing that today, he came by and covered up her cage. It was awkward because I was still cooking and noisily chopping things for like the next half hour so it's not like she could even sleep or anything...

It's annoying because the ideal situation for me would be for Bird to enjoy the company of anyone and everyone who comes into the apartment, and for her to really love him. My goal is not for her to love me. I am just trying to make her happy, but I guess I've crossed the line. I should've been less involved, and I guess I need to realize it's out of my hands now. My roommate leaves after me and gets home before me, so I will not see Bird again except on the odd occasion. I hope he mans up and starts doing things properly.

You should start spitting in his shampoo.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

electricgoat posted:

Oh my god, I cannot believe how big of a manchild this guy is, he's acting like a 5 year old. :psyduck:

Like Sunny doesn't like my brother but he still talks to him and stuff like that, and he's 15. :psyduck:

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If laws and the social aspects of this world actually cared about birds I'd tell you to call animal services for abuse but birds are perfectly fine in cages all the time no matter :derp:

That bird is going to die and it's going to be absolutely loving pathetic as it could have been prevented.

edit; His manchild behavior has me thinking of a neckbeard wow player who won't shut up about mlp and his bronies and I don't know why this sterotype is the one I'm choosing for this dude

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
Chili: Man, I wish I could be that childish. Also, I kind of wish I had a penis so I could ejaculate into his body wash...

Deadly Chlorine: Your statement is insulting to 5 year olds everywhere.

Zomodok: Yeah, this is just brutal. I am super animal rights, so it's very difficult being around something like this. I know this isn't really my fault, but I just feel so guilty. I don't understand how someone could do this. Like, he claimed before he got the bird that he wanted it to love him and only him and hate everyone else. I assumed it was a stupid joke, but it's obviously actually what he wants. And he is a neckbeard wow player, but I'm the MLP fan in the apartment. You were still pretty close!!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

electricgoat posted:

What the hell? Didn't you say anything? That's just so... petty, and spiteful. How can he not realise what he's doing is the cause of the bird not liking him? Why wouldn't he simply copy you if she likes you more? So much :psyduck:

This guy has obviously done next to no research at all, and if you won't outright call him out on his crap (whether he'd listen or not), and he won't read books/websites/etc to learn more, nothing is going to happen but him breaking that little bird. At least if she's away from you it might be easier for you to not get too attached anymore.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

What the hell? Didn't you say anything? That's just so... petty, and spiteful. How can he not realise what he's doing is the cause of the bird not liking him? Why wouldn't he simply copy you if she likes you more? So much :psyduck:

This guy has obviously done next to no research at all, and if you won't outright call him out on his crap (whether he'd listen or not), and he won't read books/websites/etc to learn more, nothing is going to happen but him breaking that little bird. At least if she's away from you it might be easier for you to not get too attached anymore.

It was actually a really awkward exchange. He put the cover on, and I said, "She's not tired. She's still playing. She hasn't started her sleepytime routine." He said, "She'll sleep." I said, "No, you had her up really late last night, and I'm still cooking so it will be loud and all the lights will be on. She'll be confused and might think she's being punished." And he just again said, "She'll sleep."

I think my problem is that I handle disagreements first by using logic, and then by using empathy. This works really well with reasonable people. My problem is that my roommate is clearly not a reasonable person. I don't even know what would work. My boyfriend intends to just shame him over this. I don't know if he'll actually do that, or if it will even work. I just can't really get into the mind of my roommate, so I don't know what to say to make this okay.

He was copying me for a bit, by talking more and watching her more, but that lasted like 2 days. He doesn't find watching her very interesting- he always wants to handle her, which she's not yet ready for. He just wants a cute little birdie to ride around on him all day, but she wants to do stuff like hang upside while killing the bell (which is hilarious, btw).

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I posted a few days ago about my birds being weirdos and waking me up at 3am- just thought I'd post an update.

I decided to put them to sleep in my walk-in closet so they won't be bothered by outside noises (it's the most isolated "room" in the apartment. I've never really considered it before because it seemed mean, but I decided it was a better option than setting them free or trying to find them new homes. Obviously, I take them out in the morning and move them back into the living room. They made it through a thunder storm the other night just fine, so I think I'll be ok!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

electricgoat posted:

It was actually a really awkward exchange. He put the cover on, and I said, "She's not tired. She's still playing. She hasn't started her sleepytime routine." He said, "She'll sleep." I said, "No, you had her up really late last night, and I'm still cooking so it will be loud and all the lights will be on. She'll be confused and might think she's being punished." And he just again said, "She'll sleep."

I think my problem is that I handle disagreements first by using logic, and then by using empathy. This works really well with reasonable people. My problem is that my roommate is clearly not a reasonable person. I don't even know what would work. My boyfriend intends to just shame him over this. I don't know if he'll actually do that, or if it will even work. I just can't really get into the mind of my roommate, so I don't know what to say to make this okay.

He was copying me for a bit, by talking more and watching her more, but that lasted like 2 days. He doesn't find watching her very interesting- he always wants to handle her, which she's not yet ready for. He just wants a cute little birdie to ride around on him all day, but she wants to do stuff like hang upside while killing the bell (which is hilarious, btw).

At this point I would almost advocate taking a long lunch one day and taking the bird somewhere where it would be loved and cared for. Your roommate is obviously not ready or willing to properly care for this bird and it's very sad.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Wizard of Smart posted:

At this point I would almost advocate taking a long lunch one day and taking the bird somewhere where it would be loved and cared for. Your roommate is obviously not ready or willing to properly care for this bird and it's very sad.

He'd probably just get mommy and daddy to buy a new one and then kick electricgoat out onto the street. I almost advocate taking a long lunch one day and shoving him into traffic...

Bioshuffle posted:

I posted a few days ago about my birds being weirdos and waking me up at 3am- just thought I'd post an update.

I decided to put them to sleep in my walk-in closet so they won't be bothered by outside noises (it's the most isolated "room" in the apartment. I've never really considered it before because it seemed mean, but I decided it was a better option than setting them free or trying to find them new homes. Obviously, I take them out in the morning and move them back into the living room. They made it through a thunder storm the other night just fine, so I think I'll be ok!

As long as you wake up at a normal time so that they're not stuck in a closet for more than a normal sleep schedule it should be fine... Also you're joking about setting them free right. Right? Please say yes.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Amaya posted:

Also you're joking about setting them free right. Right? Please say yes.

Yeah... this. Don't do this.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm pretty sure he was joking, I always threaten to set my birds free/make them into soup when they won't shut up. v:shobon:v

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

http://www.birdorable.com/ Welp, there goes my paycheck.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My little budgie escaped the other day. I spent 5 hours trying to get him to come down from the trees he was in. I couldn't go up and get em since he was about 60 ft up. He's fully flighted but he must've never learned to fully control it when he was a baby (got him at a pet store) and he seemed unable to fly down. He kept trying, bless his little heart, but he only ever managed to land in other trees. I'd watch as he attempted to fly down only to be carried up by the wind. It was the saddest thing I had to do. He never did get down and eventually was carried too far off by the wind. Good luck little man, I don't think I'll ever see you again but I hope you at least find your way somewhere safe where another family might find you.

I need a hug.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh my god Agent, I'm so sorry :(

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Oh gently caress. :sympathy:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Amaya posted:

As long as you wake up at a normal time so that they're not stuck in a closet for more than a normal sleep schedule it should be fine... Also you're joking about setting them free right. Right? Please say yes.
I was absolutely kidding about setting them free. These guys aren't going anywhere if I can help it. :glomp: There are some wild parrots around the area, but my birds had their wings clipped, so I'm assuming they'd become a snack instantly.

I'm sorry for your loss Agent :(

edit: removed some stuff that seemed a bit insensitive on a second read

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 12, 2013

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Unrelated to e/n roommate stuff, Mindo was sensing danger in the form of a box on the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4h55AkB1xU&hd=1

Sorry you lost your budgie Agent. :(

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thanks for the kind words. I was talking about it with some friends of mine. Reminiscing and trying to just talk it out when I discovered that the average life span of a budge in captivity is only 5-8 years. In a few months I will have had my budgie for 4 years. In that time I took him from a scared timid budgie to a hand tame explorer who loved to sleep in the sun on my shoulder and would fall asleep in my hand if I rubbed his head long enough.

It's a shame to have him taken from me and I hope to hell he's doing well out there somewhere but at least I improved his life while I had him. I can't get another budgie though, I can't imagine one was good as he was.

Still have the derptiel.

I actually took the derp with me while I was trying to get the budgie back. The derp is clipped (he turns into a jerk if you let his feathers grow out) and has been going outside for years so he was used to it. He hung out on my shoulder and sang for the budgie while I was trying to entice him back down.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Chiyo escaped outside today. Spent six hours trying to get her down. I lost my daughter. Been inconsolable. Called vets, stores, and rescues to be on the lookout. Nothing will erase her frightened cheeps and obvious shivering as she flirted from tree to tree to roof to the forest from my mind. I can't breathe. I can't eat. It was all my fault.

Agent, it was horrible knowing there was nothing I could do. I understand.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
For what it's worth Agent, when I was a girl my family found a budgie in a tree and got him to come down for some seed. We posted flyers everywhere but nobody claimed him. He wound up living another good 5 years with my grandmother as a beloved pet. A good future for your little guy isn't impossible.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Official Bizness posted:

Nothing will erase her frightened cheeps and obvious shivering as she flirted from tree to tree to roof to the forest from my mind.

Oh man 2 birds in 2 days. That is horrible. I'm so sorry for you. I know what you mean. The contact calls as they disappear from sight is heart wrenching and I don't think I'll ever forget either. Godspeed Chiyo. Somewhere in our neck of the woods a little budgie and a little lovebird are going to meet up and find a home together I think.

E: vvvv Oh man I got my sad all over your sad. God everything is awful today.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 12, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jesus christ. Bizness. I'm so sorry. Today I actually spent nearly 300 dollars to learn Rosy, my cockatiel of 17 years, has an upper respiratory infection that's a symptom of elderly cockatiels slowly on their way out. I came in here to post that, saw Agent's post, chose not to share, but Chiyo too... today isn't a good day for the bird crazies...

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

I am so sorry you guys. Paper the neighborhood with flyers. When I was younger we found a budgie in our barn that flew away for its people twenty miles from where we were. They were so happy to get him back.

Is there any way you can put a familiar cage out where they could see it? It's a stretch but I've heard of it working.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

My friend brought up the movie Rio and thinks your bird and mine are destined to have adventures and loud parties. It helps to think they're not alone.

I left her cage out with food in the area. Fliers are being made tomorrow. Called surrounding vets, rescues, and stores. Have very little hope. Have had a full anxiety attack since eight this morning. So sick and empty.

Official Bizness fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 12, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I wish I could do something, anything, for you. Both of you. The threads watched Chiyo grow up, and Blue become hand-tame.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

Oh no. :smith:

I really hope you manage to find them, they might seek out people who will see the notices anyway, try posting on local pet forums or Craigslist or whatever as well in case they flew a bit further away.

For what it's worth, I read a post where someone saw a budgie in the midst of sparrows making sparrow sounds and chilling with them, and lovebirds are pretty hardy, so they should be fine.

I really hope you guys find them, losing a bird is always sad, no matter how it happens. :smith:

Also for the derp with the infection, I've heard of a lot of birds recovering fully with sinus flushes and nebulizers and such, so she should recover soon enough. :unsmith:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Oh! I was just reminded that we found our lost :derptiel: by putting up flyers. It was weeks later and she had shown up in someones back yard. I was dubious it was ours until she started talking to us and cuddling with her boyfriend when we got her home.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
I've had budgies escape before, and it's absolutely heartbreaking. One of them had a very bad habit of making a beeline for the window, and finally escaped somehow while my family was out.

But I've found a lost budgie too. He landed on my grandfather's head while he was out in the garden, tame as anything. He was given to my family because we already owned a few budgies. He was very, very hungry, but got along well with the other birds. We rechristened him Trevor, and he happily lived with us for another 4 years.

I feel for both of you and I'm crossing my fingers that they're returned to you, or at least a loving family finds them. Poor babies. :smith:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

innocent unsuspecting me posted:

Lots of new posts in bird crazies! Must be cuteness everywhere :dance:

Nope. :smith:

Im really sorry Agent and Bizness. When I was younger we had an African Grey lost the same way. I feel your pain.

LAB, I have also heard of tiels getting better with nebulizers and flushes.

Too much sad today.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Christ guys, I'm so sorry, between the lost birds and the infection I'll take a few more chunks out of my hand any day.

If it's any consolation, I too adopted a lost budgie as a child. It was found by a tourist family in the rain and they took it to a Petco, where the family was trying to convince them to take it in. It seems like by law the store couldn't, and I already had budgies at home, so he came with me to his new place.

Please don't give up hope.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Deadly Chlorine posted:

For what it's worth, I read a post where someone saw a budgie in the midst of sparrows making sparrow sounds and chilling with them,

That was me! It was in France a few years ago and the little guy was just hopping around with the sparrow flock, eating grain and chattering along just like them, so there is a bit of hope that our lost little friends can find new families. :unsmith:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rosy's definitely going to die and the vet definitely knew it and that's why he was so nice about it. I just woke up to use the bathroom and she was huddled on the cage floor and now she's in my lap and she's breathing so loud she sounds like a squeaky wheel and her entire body convulses with every breath and there is this awful awful awful loving clicking sound with every breath too. I can't even describe it but it's like killing me and I can't do anything about it because she's obviously so very very very old and sick the meds won't do anything and she's just huddled in m y lap and there's blood flecking her feathers around her beak and oh my god. I know I only ever really post about ama in here but i've had her since i was 8 years old. 17 years. we grew up together and she helped make me the person i am today and she kept me from dying so many times and i can't help her and i can't do anything except just fold my hands gently around her.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Oh... Oh drat. This thread today.

LAB, I'm so sorry about Rosy. While it must be so hard, she's lucky that she gets to be with you at the end, and in your hands. It will hurt so much but I don't think you'll ever regret being able to be there for her. She must have had a great life being with you, for so long, and now she gets to be with you at the end too. Please accept an Internet hug and my sympathies, for both you and her. Hang in there. :(

Agent and Official Bizness, again I'm sorry, and while the chances of finding them again may be small there's still a chance, so Ill be hoping for the best. I can't even imagine having to watch Ohtori or Steve fly away like that.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Rosy's definitely going to die and the vet definitely knew it and that's why he was so nice about it. I just woke up to use the bathroom and she was huddled on the cage floor and now she's in my lap and she's breathing so loud she sounds like a squeaky wheel and her entire body convulses with every breath and there is this awful awful awful loving clicking sound with every breath too. I can't even describe it but it's like killing me and I can't do anything about it because she's obviously so very very very old and sick the meds won't do anything and she's just huddled in m y lap and there's blood flecking her feathers around her beak and oh my god. I know I only ever really post about ama in here but i've had her since i was 8 years old. 17 years. we grew up together and she helped make me the person i am today and she kept me from dying so many times and i can't help her and i can't do anything except just fold my hands gently around her.
Oh my god, I'm so sorry. :smith:

Hug her, sing softly to her for now. 17 years is a long time and you both gave each other the best you could.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My goodness everyone.. I know apologies don't do much, so I won't say sorry, but my hopes and condolances go out to all of you guys. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose Ritz, and believe me I've got all of my appendages crossed in the hopes that somebody finds your babies.

And LAB, they're right, think about the good times, and the really long, wonderful life she lived, about how much love you've given her and she's given you. Celebrate her life, like Fred the Tiel! Seeing those pictures of him and the stories really showed that he lived a wonderful life with a wonderful dad, and I'm sure the same goes for Rosy :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

She just died in my hands, in my lap. As I type this her head and shoulder are still pressed into the curve of my other palm. Rest in peace, Miss Rosy. I already miss you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm sorry to hear that. I've had Hannah sitting with me all morning because it's been a while since we've chilled together. I don't know what I would do if something happened to him.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Despite an attached note with desperate pleas to not touch the cage, someone stole the cage I'd left out yesterday.

I don't even get to keep anything of hers to remember her by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Official Bizness posted:

Despite an attached note with desperate pleas to not touch the cage, someone stole the cage I'd left out yesterday.

I don't even get to keep anything of hers to remember her by.

That's absolutely disgusting. Buncha assholes on this planet.

Maiu (gf and I refer to you as Maiu) So sad for you, my girlfriend and I offer the biggest e-hugs you could possibly imagine.