Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Year of the Snake nets you a goofy swat outfit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Lord Lambeth posted:

Year of the Snake nets you a goofy swat outfit too.

More notably, finishing Year of the Snake gets you a beat cop uniform. This is absolutely hilarious.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Chocolate Donuts posted:

More notably, finishing Year of the Snake gets you a beat cop uniform. This is absolutely hilarious.

I am looking forward to replaying the whole game in that outfit. The scene where Winston and company think you might be a cop will be amazing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Chortles posted:

I believe that the one about the drug dealer that he "disappeared" implies that Wei isn't that far from a dirty cop himself? I got the sense in the game that Wei comes off more like a snitch who moonlights for Inspector Teng than a like a mole anyway, that's how "in" he is with the triads in the main story.
Remember that his sister became an addict and eventually OD'd, so on that particular account at least his behaviour is understandable.

I mean yeah, it's made pretty clear he's anything but a by-the-book sort of cop, but to me at least he never came across as an outright bad guy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Remember that his sister became an addict and eventually OD'd, so on that particular account at least his behaviour is understandable.

I mean yeah, it's made pretty clear he's anything but a by-the-book sort of cop, but to me at least he never came across as an outright bad guy.
Degrees of bad, shades of grey... understandable but it's still why I categorized Wei the way that I did, and Raymond gets that difference, which the game seemed to skirt around in the police files on Wei.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Chortles posted:

shades of grey...

50 Shades of Wei?

It could just be a series of brutally horrible environmental takedowns, described in gory detail.

... so basically, a book of this game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
If you don't follow the PSN store thread, it's looking like Sleeping Dogs will be a Playstation Plus free game this month for NA users. Which is awesome.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
On Xbox 360, can I activate DLC offline? I brought my Xbox to a friend's house, downloaded the Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake DLC to my hard drive, and then when I got home tried to play but nothing happens when I load up my game - no map icons, no messages, etc.

I don't have console Internet access at my place.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

timeandtide posted:

On Xbox 360, can I activate DLC offline? I brought my Xbox to a friend's house, downloaded the Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake DLC to my hard drive, and then when I got home tried to play but nothing happens when I load up my game - no map icons, no messages, etc.

I don't have console Internet access at my place.

It should activate just fine. Nightmare in Northpoint is loaded separately from the main game. On the title screen you should have the option to play the main story or the separate DLC story. All the smaller DLC (and Zodiac Tournament) are part of the main campaign, and unlock once you get through the series of scripted missions at the start, but NiNP has to be accessed from the menu.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Replaying this for the third time thanks to PS+ letting me swap back to the PS3 version. Still finding new ways to have fun. Bought nearly all the DLC for maximum pissing around options and man you start off with a TON of cars in your garage. I dig the Law Enforcement Pack as all the police vehicles have a normal radio in them. I'm going off to see Winston wearing a SWAT uniform and riding a police motorcycle. Good times man, good times.

Edit: YES! Wearing the uniform gives me a taser for the heavy attack when grappling people, and I get to arrest people. This fight club is turning out very differently from normal.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 10, 2013

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

It should activate just fine. Nightmare in Northpoint is loaded separately from the main game. On the title screen you should have the option to play the main story or the separate DLC story. All the smaller DLC (and Zodiac Tournament) are part of the main campaign, and unlock once you get through the series of scripted missions at the start, but NiNP has to be accessed from the menu.

Same with Year of The Snake.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Does the order you do missions in affect the story or dialogue? I'm wondering how much the Sun On Yi's suspicion of me has to do with doing a bunch of cop missions and drug busts before a Triad mission. Or if it would have unfolded that way no matter what I did.

How about dating? I don't know if I missed an explanation, but I basically went on dates with Tiffany, Amanda, and another one in pretty quick succession, and Tiffany got mad because she found out somehow, and I can't call any of them back so far.

Basically, can I go crazy and just do all activities whenever I want without locking out other ones later?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BlindNinja posted:

Does the order you do missions in affect the story or dialogue? I'm wondering how much the Sun On Yi's suspicion of me has to do with doing a bunch of cop missions and drug busts before a Triad mission. Or if it would have unfolded that way no matter what I did.

How about dating? I don't know if I missed an explanation, but I basically went on dates with Tiffany, Amanda, and another one in pretty quick succession, and Tiffany got mad because she found out somehow, and I can't call any of them back so far.

Basically, can I go crazy and just do all activities whenever I want without locking out other ones later?

There's only one date mission for each girl.

Any other interactions with them are through side missions and/or main missions.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Aphrodite posted:

There's only one date mission for each girl.

Any other interactions with them are through side missions and/or main missions.

Thanks, thought I screwed myself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really thought "Not Ping" should have been a much bigger part of the story.

Also, kind of dumb to get :supaburn: EMMA STONE :supaburn: and put her front and center in the intro credits, and she has like ten lines of dialogue in one mission.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Supposedly there was going to be a lot more involved with the girls (a whole dating minigame set) but it got left on the cutting room floor. I wouldn't be surprised if Emma Stone recorded more than what ended up in the game.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

precision posted:

I really thought "Not Ping" should have been a much bigger part of the story.

Also, kind of dumb to get :supaburn: EMMA STONE :supaburn: and put her front and center in the intro credits, and she has like ten lines of dialogue in one mission.

Yeah, I was expecting more, because hey, Emma Stone but I think they should have just canned the whole date-thing when they realized they didn't have time to fully flesh it out. I guess the only thing it does is kind of shoehorn in various unlockables appearing on your mini-map.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: ^^^^ To be fair, that's a Godsend for those of us who loving hate searching for "hidden packages"

United Front: Even our half-finished game is better than GTA4

I never did before, but I'm going to buy literally All the DLC now just in the vain hopes it gets us another game. It apparently only sold ~2 million copies, which is goddamn criminal.

Maybe people were just that turned off by having to drive on "the wrong" side of the road.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

precision posted:

e: ^^^^ To be fair, that's a Godsend for those of us who loving hate searching for "hidden packages"

United Front: Even our half-finished game is better than GTA4

I never did before, but I'm going to buy literally All the DLC now just in the vain hopes it gets us another game. It apparently only sold ~2 million copies, which is goddamn criminal.

Maybe people were just that turned off by having to drive on "the wrong" side of the road.

No matter what we do, Square-Enix management thinks that the non-FF games published here are responsible for poor earnings as opposed to, you know, the fact that recent Final Fantasy games have been complete poo poo (:can:)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

movax posted:

No matter what we do, Square-Enix management thinks that the non-FF games published here are responsible for poor earnings as opposed to, you know, the fact that recent Final Fantasy games have been complete poo poo (:can:)

I think we covered this: Square-Enix pinned some Q4 2012 losses on "a certain HD title" but it turned out to be something else. Hang on, I'll go find it.

EDIT: Here. At the time of the report it shipped about 1.51 million copies, so obviously it slowed down since then, but that was still apparently enough to make it a solid performer for Square-Enix, so a sequel isn't out of the question.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 11, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

I think we covered this: Square-Enix pinned some Q4 2012 losses on "a certain HD title" but it turned out to be something else. Hang on, I'll go find it.

EDIT: Here. At the time of the report it shipped about 1.51 million copies, so obviously it slowed down since then, but that was still apparently enough to make it a solid performer for Square-Enix, so a sequel isn't out of the question.

Oops, my bad, I remember reading that and all too :shobon:

A sequel would be amazing, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed too hard. At least they're keeping us floating in DLC.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Yeah there were rumours floating around with (rather accurate) PS4 speculation that people have seen the build for Sleeping Dogs 2, which seems pretty plausaible. It's sold really well, it's critically acclaimed and the engine is pretty up to date so if they just expand the map, fix the camera and make a bunch of missions they can put out a cash in sequel pretty easily and I'd certainly buy it :v:

If they do those things and bother to try and make a better game then it will be loving awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sleeping Dogs 2 is just about the only thing that would make me buy a PS4 at full day one launch price.

:negative:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

precision posted:

Sleeping Dogs 2 is just about the only thing that would make me buy a PS4 at full day one launch price.

:negative:

To be fair, for that much money you could be up to your knees in pork buns for a month.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I'm glad that dating content was cut - the missions as they are now serve a unique narrative purpose: it shows Wei has trouble forming permenant romantic connections with people, which is related to how he drifts between cops and criminals, United States and Hong Kong. In most games, like GTA4, there'd be "power meters" relating to impressing girlfriends on the way to a sex reward or something, but United Front instead actually uses them to enforce ideas about the main character; same deal with the monologues at the fighting club before you get a new move.

Edit: I've really been meaning to write about this for some time, but how Sleeping Dogs treats Wei's character through its missions is a thousand more times interesting (and coherent) than GTA4. Most critics seemed to treat it as a decent GTA clone, but the "fine print" of it separates the game from what Rockstar is doing.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 12, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

timeandtide posted:

I'm glad that dating content was cut - the missions as they are now serve a unique narrative purpose: it shows Wei has trouble forming permenant romantic connections with people, which is related to how he drifts between cops and criminals, United States and Hong Kong. In most games, like GTA4, there'd be "power meters" relating to impressing girlfriends on the way to a sex reward or something, but United Front instead actually uses them to enforce ideas about the main character; same deal with the monologues at the fighting club before you get a new move.

Edit: I've really been meaning to write about this for some time, but how Sleeping Dogs treats Wei's character through its missions is a thousand more times interesting (and coherent) than GTA4. Most critics seemed to treat it as a decent GTA clone, but the "fine print" of it separates the game from what Rockstar is doing.
It's honestly one of the reasons that I liked Sleeping Dogs despite some of the moments that verged on stereotypes -- not only was "Asian male protagonist" refreshing for a landscape where 'gritty Caucasian male' seemed the norm on cover arts, but "Asian male protagonist that gets to get together with Caucasian women at all instead of the other way around? And he's actually got a generally coherent characterization with so many details that possibly-unintentionally reinforce this characterization?"

Half the fun of reading the Sleeping Dogs LP thread was seeing people's seeming "headcanons" about Wei (i.e. why he actually ended up with HKPD) and some of these evolving as the playthrough went on, and frankly this is a credit to the game's writers.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

If this is a reason any North American chose not to play Sleeping Dogs, I want to punch them in the nutters.

That the setting wasn't another generic American big city was why I was so charmed by Sleeping Dogs. Hear some different music, see some different architecture, drive on the other side and partake in the great pan-Asian experience of subsisting entirely on a diet of street vendor foods. Meanwhile, GTA V is taking place in San Andreas. I appreciate variations on a theme, but we've been here twice already!

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
So I got the game as a PS+ download and I'm enjoying it a lot so far, and I agree on loving the little characterization details. When I got the nicer apartment with a stove, microwave and so on I was almost expecting for a moment that I would be able to get food as well as energy drinks at my apartment - but haha, no, of course not, no way does Wei know how to take care of himself like that. It's a can of delicious yellow drank in the fridge and some leftovers that he brought from his old apartment, and every meal is carryout.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wish there were just a couple more little extra side-activities in addition to the ones we got, but I guess the best things always leave you wanting more, right?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Caufman posted:

If this is a reason any North American chose not to play Sleeping Dogs, I want to punch them in the nutters.

That the setting wasn't another generic American big city was why I was so charmed by Sleeping Dogs. Hear some different music, see some different architecture, drive on the other side and partake in the great pan-Asian experience of subsisting entirely on a diet of street vendor foods. Meanwhile, GTA V is taking place in San Andreas. I appreciate variations on a theme, but we've been here twice already!

I live in a left side driving country and getting in the right hand side of a car and driving on the left hand side of the road in a videogame was loving hard.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Just be glad there weren't any roundabouts, or players might've quite possibly killed themselves.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

Just be glad there weren't any roundabouts, or players might've quite possibly killed themselves.

Reading my post, it isn't really that clear. I normally drive on the left hand side, but I'm so used to driving on the right in videogames it was hard to stay on the left. The worst thing was instinctually running to the left side of the car to get in every single time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm hoping that if there is a sequel its going to be based off of the early concept of having the protag be a female assassin. Would be a different enough viewpoint to keep things fresh and leaves open the possibility of having Wei as an antagonist.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I had the best/worst moment of driving on the wrong side when I was playing Dead Island. There's a quest early in the game where you have to back a car out of house with a couple of people trapped in it. I immediately run to the left side of the car, get in, hold S, and don't realize I'm not actually going anywhere for at least 5 seconds.

I still had my fair share of head-on collisions in Sleeping Dogs.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

404GoonNotFound posted:

There was an early PS2 game called The Getaway that was an open world, 3rd person game that was set in London. IIRC, it had roundabouts in it, and driving was....awkward. Mostly because, while there were a bunch of different cars, they seemed to fall into two categories: slow as hell, or fast and impossible to control.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
gently caress the races. I want to so badly like them but they are impossible. The game pulls the "Oh hey, you bumped the invisible rock so we're going to full-stop your bike!" or "That nudge rotates your bike 90 degrees into a wall! Good luck catching up now!" or how about my favorite "Turn around the cornoer and HI WALL!".

Am I missing something here?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

RadicalR posted:

gently caress the races. I want to so badly like them but they are impossible. The game pulls the "Oh hey, you bumped the invisible rock so we're going to full-stop your bike!" or "That nudge rotates your bike 90 degrees into a wall! Good luck catching up now!" or how about my favorite "Turn around the cornoer and HI WALL!".

Am I missing something here?

Every class has one vehicle that is lightyears ahead of the rest. Figure out which one it is and buy it.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
This game is cool but I can never finish the cop missions because on my Japanese PS3 the button for making a bet and canceling is the same. Why couldn't they go with the PS3 standard scheme instead of hardcoding only some buttons...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man I just got this for free from PS+, what a cool game. I hope they make another one even if an insane amount of sales was "dissapointing" for them.

Question about the radio: Do you just listen to whatever is on or am I missing something? In missions and such it's usually mission appropriate music but when I get into a random car can I change the music?

Also storyline wise is Cop and Triad kind of 2 seperate stories you can do in any order or do you eventually have to stop one and catch up with the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Question about the radio: Do you just listen to whatever is on or am I missing something? In missions and such it's usually mission appropriate music but when I get into a random car can I change the music?

Also storyline wise is Cop and Triad kind of 2 seperate stories you can do in any order or do you eventually have to stop one and catch up with the other?

There are stations with individual sets of songs and you can change them in free roam, but during most of the mission driving sequences, it'll tune to a specific station and song, though you can still change it if you want.

With the Cop and Triad missions, there'll be points where you'll run out of one or the other until you catch up with the other and complete that 'section' of the game.

• Locked thread