Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

hailthefish posted:

If your only criteria are a CD Writer and playing Civ 4, no wonder you're getting results from 2009.

TBF, my search was "laptop prices taiwan". I'm keen on the newegg prices, but I was always under the impression that Acer/ASUS machines were 3-4000NT cheaper in Taiwan than in the states.

And yeah, I don't need much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

quadrophrenic posted:

TBF, my search was "laptop prices taiwan". I'm keen on the newegg prices, but I was always under the impression that Acer/ASUS machines were 3-4000NT cheaper in Taiwan than in the states.

I paid $24,000NT for my Acer laptop early last year, and it has no problems running Civ5. I assume it has a CD writer, but not entirely positive on that. It's a 17", Core I7, Geforce 540T, 750GB HD.

Many times the prices on electronics are the same as the US, but the "goodies" that come with them are better. Just make sure you shop around a bit, and ask what they will throw in with the sale.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Why would you need a CD writer in this day and age? Or a CD reader? My PC has one and I was thinking about using it to store mini-pizzas or something because I can't figure out anything else to do with it.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Work. Gotta make exercise mixes, perfomances, etc

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

Why would you need a CD writer in this day and age? Or a CD reader? My PC has one and I was thinking about using it to store mini-pizzas or something because I can't figure out anything else to do with it.

I use mine all the time*

*For burning recovery discs and liveCDs for the various older computers in my life.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I've replaced CDs with USB sticks in every facet of my life. Even the CD players at work have USB ports so I can just bring MP3s of the audio files to class.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

Nope! Stuff tends to cost more here than in the US, it sucks.

You should be able to find something around 20k or less that meets your needs.

Spec-wise, you should look for:
  • CPU: i5 would be best, i3 should be ok
  • RAM: 4GB should be fine, you'll want to upgrade it yourself if it's at 2GB
  • GPU: Nvidia or ATI chip would be best, onboard graphics might work but if gaming's a concern, you should really try to get a dedicated chip (on the flipside, this may result in lower battery life)
  • HDD: SSD would be nice, but not likely for cheaper models(you can upgrade it yourself if you care); otherwise 500GB would be solid. You can add USB drives anyway
  • DVDR: Do you really need the burner to be onboard? You can get USB ones pretty easy now, and they don't even need power adapters. This might open up available models for you, and result in a lighter laptop.
  • MONITOR: Well, this one's up to you really; if you want it to be portable, I'd look for 13" or less unless you need the screen space. 13" and 14" are generally the same price.

Some stuff to check out:
These are models that have an i5, 4GB RAM, a discrete GPU, 500GB HDD or more, and a built in burner. All the prices should be higher than what you can find at Guanghua, as these are from general Internet shopping sites.

If you need to look for stuff, you can always check out PCHome's 24hr site to poke around for models or check if one is available in Taiwan, and all prices are slightly higher than what you should be able to find at Guanghua.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Reminder to anyone interested: there will be beer this Saturday in Tucheng near Haishan station.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
And remember Newegg Taiwan is launching in like 4-5 months! Hopefully they'll drive down prices.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

duckfarts posted:

Nope! Stuff tends to cost more here than in the US, it sucks.

You should be able to find something around 20k or less that meets your needs.

Spec-wise, you should look for:
  • CPU: i5 would be best, i3 should be ok
  • RAM: 4GB should be fine, you'll want to upgrade it yourself if it's at 2GB
  • GPU: Nvidia or ATI chip would be best, onboard graphics might work but if gaming's a concern, you should really try to get a dedicated chip (on the flipside, this may result in lower battery life)
  • HDD: SSD would be nice, but not likely for cheaper models(you can upgrade it yourself if you care); otherwise 500GB would be solid. You can add USB drives anyway
  • DVDR: Do you really need the burner to be onboard? You can get USB ones pretty easy now, and they don't even need power adapters. This might open up available models for you, and result in a lighter laptop.
  • MONITOR: Well, this one's up to you really; if you want it to be portable, I'd look for 13" or less unless you need the screen space. 13" and 14" are generally the same price.

Some stuff to check out:
These are models that have an i5, 4GB RAM, a discrete GPU, 500GB HDD or more, and a built in burner. All the prices should be higher than what you can find at Guanghua, as these are from general Internet shopping sites.

If you need to look for stuff, you can always check out PCHome's 24hr site to poke around for models or check if one is available in Taiwan, and all prices are slightly higher than what you should be able to find at Guanghua.

This.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Reminder to anyone interested: there will be beer this Saturday in Tucheng near Haishan station.

What time - or should I check facebook :/

USDA Choice posted:

And remember Newegg Taiwan is launching in like 4-5 months! Hopefully they'll drive down prices.

really really really hoping this is going to deliver.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Newegg China isn't that great (isn't that bad either), hoping you guys get better! The mainland version is better for stuff like toasters and ovens than PC parts.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

url posted:

What time - or should I check facebook :/

Sometime after 7.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Magna Kaser posted:

Newegg China isn't that great (isn't that bad either), hoping you guys get better! The mainland version is better for stuff like toasters and ovens than PC parts.

yeah - i noticed that too.

I'm not sure why it didn't come in a lot stronger than they have.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Sometime after 7.

Sweet.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
They're hiring tons of people all over Taiwan so it's definitely happening. As to the timeline I'm fairly sure of it, the girl I ran into claimed to be the secretary for the Taiwan CFO.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

USDA Choice posted:

They're hiring tons of people all over Taiwan so it's definitely happening. As to the timeline I'm fairly sure of it, the girl I ran into claimed to be the secretary for the Taiwan CFO.

Hmnnnn, in Neihu too.

I never got around to putting a profile on 1111, since they were always spoken about as being second best to 104, and I'm very very lazy. Seeing some of those positions (Senior Information Security Officer Information security analyst, experience: Whatever) , I'm tempted if only because I love applying for positions with the experience requirement being "w/evs bro - you got dis".

But yeah, that aside, some of those positions are quite attractive (specifically Data Mining & Senior Data Mining).

e: I just told buddy to meet me at haishan at 19:30

url fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 11, 2013

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
Well I have my Skype interview with HESS tomorrow, so I guess it made it past the preliminary rounds of people who couldn't spell correctly on the application form or filled in the questionnaire with bad answers. They said it will be from 90-120 minutes and gave me some things they want me to demo :eng101:

If I somehow get eliminated after the Skype round I plan on showing up early to mid-June and take advantage of the 90-day landing visa to look for stuff. Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, it really contains a metric fuckton of helpful information.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

lokk posted:

Well I have my Skype interview with HESS tomorrow, so I guess it made it past the preliminary rounds of people who couldn't spell correctly on the application form or filled in the questionnaire with bad answers. They said it will be from 90-120 minutes and gave me some things they want me to demo :eng101:

If I somehow get eliminated after the Skype round I plan on showing up early to mid-June and take advantage of the 90-day landing visa to look for stuff. Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, it really contains a metric fuckton of helpful information.

If you have archives, go looking at the old thread about the hess interview. There is a list of questions that the interviewer (probably Ben or Christina) will ask.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

GoutPatrol posted:

If you have archives, go looking at the old thread about the hess interview. There is a list of questions that the interviewer (probably Ben or Christina) will ask.

Thanks, they were pretty much spot on. I might get into the May 19th training group, otherwise I'll be wait listed for the July 18th one.

edit: They just offered me a 20 hour position in Pingtung/Pingdong. I guess it's east of Kaohsiung. I don't mind being in the middle of nowhere, but does anyone know anything about this? I would have to be in the country in just a few days from now if I accepted this.

lokk fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 13, 2013

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

lokk posted:

Thanks, they were pretty much spot on. I might get into the May 19th training group, otherwise I'll be wait listed for the July 18th one.

edit: They just offered me a 20 hour position in Pingtung/Pingdong. I guess it's east of Kaohsiung. I don't mind being in the middle of nowhere, but does anyone know anything about this? I would have to be in the country in just a few days from now if I accepted this.

If you truly don't mind being out in the middle of nowhere, go for it. If it's Pingtung county you could be in the total boonies, but if it's Pingtung city (probably is) it could be entirely tolerable, you'll be 15-20 miles from Kaohsiung so a quick hop on the train or a pleasant scooter ride, weather permitting.

Some notes:
- The more isolated you get, the farther your money will go. In rural places you can rent literally an entire house for <10,000 NT.
- You might be the only NST at your branch, so you might have a lot of hours. This can be exhausting. But...
- You might be the only NST at your branch, so you might have more pull/leeway.
- Are you sure you won't mind? Just double checking.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=%4022.676639,120.502011&ie=UTF-8&ei=S6iQUbmEFqS6iwKN-IGoBg&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

It's right in the city it looks like. Population around 215,000 (890,753 in the county) which I know means I'll get stared at wherever I go. I'm not a bighuge city person and I specifically requested Kaohsiung, but I really wanted the 20 hour contract (I know they can still pile hours on me, but no mega split shifts or kindy). Wish I had more time to think about it, since I pretty much need to let them know in 24 hours and then get on a plane ASAP to make the May 19th deadline for May 20th training.

:ohdear:

I take it that May 25th is a good starting date to work in Taiwan since I'll be able to qualify for a refund since I'll be working for more than 183 days.

lokk fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 13, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pingtung's not quite the middle of buttfuck nowhere, but you can definitely see it from there. But at least you'll be pretty close to Kaohsiung, the weather'll be pretty good, and you can hit the beaches in Kenting relatively easily.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I have been to Pingtung several times. It's a quaint town with some of the super friendliest people in the country. They love foreigners but are equal parts fascinated and terrified of them. There's a sweet little dive bar called Jimmy's that you should check out. Tell him you want to learn how to drink gaoliang. He'll be your friend for life.

Edit: The other thing to take into account is that it's on the rail line. This is the bad dumb slow train though, not the awesome one. However, it can get you to Gaoxiong (is this the new official spelling now?) in about an hour, maybe less. From there, you can take the HSR to Taipei, which is only an hour and a half (well, to Banqiao, but I can't imagine it taking anything more than ten minutes to get to Taipei Main Station from Banqiao).

Another Edit:
It's also definitely the kind of place where Taiwanese will take you further than Chinese. Yes, everyone should speak some degree of 國語, but if you pick up a couple of phrases of Taiwanese you'll be king for a day.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 13, 2013

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
This thread is great, was hoping to get a few quick replies before accepting the offer, and that's just what I did. Not able to get much sleep here knowing that I only have a few days left in Murrika...this is happening at hyperspeed warp drive 7000 and I am barely hanging on.

Thanks goons.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

Another Edit:
It's also definitely the kind of place where Taiwanese will take you further than Chinese. Yes, everyone should speak some degree of 國語, but if you pick up a couple of phrases of Taiwanese you'll be king for a day.

And if you ever go into certain bars/clubs and the gangsters want to hang out with you, they will think its the loving bee's knees if you speak some Taiwanese at them. They love that.

trust me, the gangsters in taichung think foreigners knowing chinese is pretty blasé

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have been to Pingtung several times. It's a quaint town with some of the super friendliest people in the country.
Yeah, I had the same feeling about Nanwan, just up from Kenting by the nuke plant, when I stayed there a few years back. They were absolutely the nicest people all around.

quote:

Gaoxiong (is this the new official spelling now?)
Nope. Kenting, Pingtung (county, not sure about city), Kaohsiung, Changhua, Taitung, Taichung, Hsinchu, Taipei, Keelung, Chiayi, Hualien, Taipei, New Taipei, Tamsui, Lukang, Matsu, Kinmen. AFAIK that's the (national) governmentally approved list of exceptions, although because Taiwanese politicians have no loving balls they still let cities/counties do whatever at that level, which presents no end of pains in my rear end in the course of work.

Although that list stated, I should probably check up on that, loving local governments seem to demand changes every 30-60 minutes for no good bloody reason.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
I guess I'll just use that HESS loan to cover my apartment deposit and then pay it right back. I don't want to carry a ton of cash with me and get ripped off by airport exchange rates. If I can find worldwide ATMs in Pingtung do you think I'll be good with only bringing around $500-800 on arrival? I only have a 5-day shortened training period before they ship me down south.

Another question: I just built a desktop supercomputer a month ago and don't want it to go to waste. If I bubble wrap/carry-on the main components (mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD) can I get that PCHome site to ship me a case/power supply/monitor?

Thanks goons, hope to buy some of you a beer or whatever the Taiwanese equivalent of soju is in the near future.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

lokk posted:

Another question: I just built a desktop supercomputer a month ago and don't want it to go to waste. If I bubble wrap/carry-on the main components (mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD) can I get that PCHome site to ship me a case/power supply/monitor?

I did this, so yeah - it's doable (I carried my PSU fwiw)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

lokk posted:

I guess I'll just use that HESS loan to cover my apartment deposit and then pay it right back. I don't want to carry a ton of cash with me and get ripped off by airport exchange rates. If I can find worldwide ATMs in Pingtung do you think I'll be good with only bringing around $500-800 on arrival? I only have a 5-day shortened training period before they ship me down south.

Thanks goons, hope to buy some of you a beer or whatever the Taiwanese equivalent of soju is in the near future.

I disassembled my PC and basically wrapped each piece in clothes and put it in my check-in luggage, including case(was lucite at the time, so it broke down), bought a monitor here. You can buy whatever you need off PCHome's 24 hr site; it'll cost slightly more, but they do have a 7 day straight return policy which is abnormal here.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

I disassembled my PC and basically wrapped each piece in clothes and put it in my check-in luggage, including case(was lucite at the time, so it broke down), bought a monitor here.
I was a dumbshit and just wrapped my case, poo poo all still inside, in a bunch of clothes and stuck it in a suitcase.

Somehow it still worked when I got it to my apartment.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

I was a dumbshit and just wrapped my case, poo poo all still inside, in a bunch of clothes and stuck it in a suitcase.

Somehow it still worked when I got it to my apartment.
This can be fine too if 1) it fits in a suitcase, 2) you may want to stuff some clothes in the case to prevent cards from floppin' around if the suitcase takes a hit.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

lokk posted:

Actually the rates at the airport are pretty good. Better than what you will find at banks from what I have heard. You should be able to use your bank card at the 7-11s here as well, and the "fees" are pretty negligible at those. I think you just have to add "55" to your pin or something like that because the pins here are all 6-digit. Don't remember if you add it to the beginning or end.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I never had to insert extra digits. PINs here are 6-12 digits, but when I used my American debit card I just punched in the 4-digit code and it worked without an issue. It was always at 7-11 ATMs, too.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I never had to insert extra digits. PINs here are 6-12 digits, but when I used my American debit card I just punched in the 4-digit code and it worked without an issue. It was always at 7-11 ATMs, too.

Huh, I guess it's not the same for all cards then. Mine definitely did not work when I only used 4 digits, but when I added a couple of 5's it was fine.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
I was able to use my 4-digit PIN too.

But the ATMs I went to had US$3 fees for foreign cards instead of the NT$6 fee they charged for domestic cards. :(

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/14/4329414/photos-of-san-zhi-abandoned-futuristic-resort-in-taiwan

Anyone been to this abandoned resort town? Had no idea it existed.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

They knocked those things down a few years ago, unfortunately.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
Do you HESS guys wear your own shirts or is the only acceptable shirt the HESS logo one? If I don't have to pack any dress shirts I can save a ton of room for my PC parts :yaycloud:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

lokk posted:

Do you HESS guys wear your own shirts or is the only acceptable shirt the HESS logo one? If I don't have to pack any dress shirts I can save a ton of room for my PC parts :yaycloud:

I haven't even got a HESS shirt yet.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

lokk posted:

Wear your own shirt for kindy, Hess shirt for everything else. At my branch we had a bit of a scandal with one of our CTs so to avoid media scrutiny we got to wear our own shirts for all classes for a while.

The Hess shirt isn't too bad. It's either a t-shirt or a polo, depending on the season. You get two of them for free. Some branches don't make you wear them. Even the strictest branch won't mind if you forget to wear it every so often, as long as you don't make a habit out of it.

eta: You do need at least one dress shirt for stuff like the banquet and photo days and such, but there's no reason you can't pick one up here. If you want, you can even get one at A*Mart/Carrefour/Costco for like <NT500. It'll be a bad fit, but tailoring services here are cheap, plentiful, and require minimal Chinese (我要*pinch*)

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
At my school we are allowed to wear are own shirts on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Honestly, it's not worth it. Being around so many little kids your bound to get stains on your clothes, and I just assume my work clothes get marked on than my everyday stuff.

If that means feeling like a tool sometimes while I where my work t-shirt in public so be it.