Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
Sorry for a bit of spam, but you get to look at these fine pictures I took, since the Pawn Community's upload system doesn't want them

First some Harpies. This is a pretty face according to the game:

The Mountain Cabin boys forgot to pay their protection mon... contribution to the Arisen's heroic dragon-slaying efforts

Bovine Inspection

Nuns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Friends!Romans!Countrymen! I finally beat the Dark Arisen guy! Now I just need some goons to help me get some sweet, sweet rift crystals. My pawn is a great tank who actually looks like a knight! I've put myself onto the googledoc; whoever does use my pawn let me know, I'm a firm believer in "scratch my back I scratch yours".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Someone ruined my Pawn's streak of 5 star ratings. Somehow, this makes me feel a completely disporportionate sense of hatred, as though someone kicked my dog.

How does this game make you care about your pawn's ratings and adventures in the community so?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

What was that postgame trick to power leveling vocations someone posted earlier? I want to give Magic Archer another shot, but really don't want to gently caress around playing Mage and Sorcerer for the cast speed upgrades.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Crowetron posted:

What was that postgame trick to power leveling vocations someone posted earlier? I want to give Magic Archer another shot, but really don't want to gently caress around playing Mage and Sorcerer for the cast speed upgrades.
Go up to the church in Gran Soren, jump up and stand on the wall next to the brazier. And do nothing, watch as your pawns slay guards by the thousands.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Crowetron posted:

Get and equip the discipline ring from one of the moonbeam doors (the ones to the right, there'll be two doors, pick the right-most.) then go back to the Noble Quarter in Gran Soren and stand on top of the church's wall. Nothing'll touch you and your pawns can massacre the guards while you read a book or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Try to have at least one Sorcerer pawn with you, they can really rack up the kills. Also probably a good idea to have a wakestone on you in case you fall off the wall somehow.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
In addition to what was posted earlier: make sure you get as close to 100 xp per guard as possible but not above that value also high miasma is the best spell for farming guards by far.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is the mages ring a good idea or does grand anodyne just take too long to cast?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Scott Bakula posted:

Is the mages ring a good idea or does grand anodyne just take too long to cast?

Try it out and see how long it takes to cast; my initial assumption is that it will only be good with the mettle augment, so you can (near) fully heal between blows from a slow enemy. Mettle and recuperation are good together for this same reason, but it's hard to justify two augment slots on your main character for 'heals like a motherfucker'.

Also, the [class name] rings usually have a wide variety of spells they can boost, so saying 'mage's ring' doesn't tell us what spell it has on it :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Haha, doing holding on attacks barehanded with the bloody knuckle looks so silly. Just pounding away at the side of a chimera with your fist doesn't seem like it would do anything but it's actually doing decent damage. And then I finished it off with a punch in its lion face.

edit: being a ranger with a bow equipped but no knives makes me feel like an ACTUAL ranger, not some kind of weird knifey guy who also has a bow.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 12, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How often are the break areas in BBI? I've reached the Black Abbey but I could really do with offloading some stuff and don't particularly want to run all the way back. Are their multiple ways to reach the end as well? I went through a door and a quest marker changed but I decided to follow the path that leads to the black abbey instead

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Scott Bakula posted:

How often are the break areas in BBI? I've reached the Black Abbey but I could really do with offloading some stuff and don't particularly want to run all the way back. Are their multiple ways to reach the end as well? I went through a door and a quest marker changed but I decided to follow the path that leads to the black abbey instead

I believe the first rest area is 3 areas away from the Black Abbey, counting the tower you've already explored most of to get there. A lot of areas have multiple paths to the same door, but to progress you'll always be going through the same door.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Haha, doing holding on attacks barehanded with the bloody knuckle looks so silly. Just pounding away at the side of a chimera with your fist doesn't seem like it would do anything but it's actually doing decent damage. And then I finished it off with a punch in its lion face.

edit: being a ranger with a bow equipped but no knives makes me feel like an ACTUAL ranger, not some kind of weird knifey guy who also has a bow.

I'm kinda the opposite, where my big drawing point to ranger was that I still got awesome dagger kung fu(albeit not as good as the Assassin or Strider), but could own everything with that extremely powerful feeling bow. I love the dagger kung fu(since I usually play a monk when I get the chance), and being able to have that and Tenfold Flurry is too awesome. (Then again in my head a ranger was always the woodsy character that had a longbow but could also kick rear end with melee as well.)

I do think the bloody knuckles are hilarious fun though.

Thinking more back to it, there's probably something that I miss from every class when I'm not that class.

When I'm not an Assassin, I miss Masterful Kill and Dire Gouge.
When I'm not a Ranger, I miss Tenfold Flurry.
When I'm not a Magick Archer, I miss lighting myself on fire.
When I'm not a Fighter, I miss Heavenward Lash and Dragon's Maw.
When I'm not a Warrior, I miss...ahh...the jumping heavy attack? (AoD is silly fun but I can't say I miss having to set the thing up and wait for it. I'm angry NOW. Though it's funny that Warrior is still my third favorite class.)
When I'm not a Sorcerer, I miss the enormous bang-bang that clears everything.
When I'm not a Mystic Knight, I miss Great Cannon Sigil Madness and full party buffs while still having smashy stuff.

The only classes I think that suffers from not having anything others don't are Strider and Mage, the former which has that issue of being the Middle Ground Yellow Class(It does have the game's most balanced stat growth, at least.) Mage has the issue of really really having to like to play a support class(though if you do, it's there, since if you like offensive spells you might as well play Sorc, and if you're obsessed with buffing, IMO Mystic Knight is better there.)

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
I haven't played with Strider much, I intend to at some point, but they are supposed to be pretty decent now if you get a Skull Splitter / Downpour Volley ring. Their fast climbing abililty is also good in some situations. With the Assassin toned down, they might not be that far behind anymore.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
My level 25 pawn just came back with a full set of Dragonforged Gryphic armour :raise:

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

ChaoticGood posted:

I haven't played with Strider much, I intend to at some point, but they are supposed to be pretty decent now if you get a Skull Splitter / Downpour Volley ring. Their fast climbing abililty is also good in some situations. With the Assassin toned down, they might not be that far behind anymore.

I think actually I'll give them another whirl as well when I get back. I did forget about that climbing ability. They don't have Masterful Kill(it's just so good in BBI, in particular against Living Armors, but really, about anything), but perhaps yeah, with the rings something may be happening with them. (Then again, Assassins' nerfs, from what I know, just had to do with their augments...which anyone could use. In fact I'd argue the augments were most OP on the Mystic Knight with the Magick Cannon nonsense solo vs. the Ur Dragon.) I did max out Strider and I mean I had plenty of fun with the class, but it was just a case of 'what can I do with my dude as a Strider that I can't do as an Assassin or Ranger?' Though the more I think about BBI with it's massive enemies, perhaps that better climbing with some augments could make for a climbing machine that just will not get knocked off and is fast to boot. Could make Gorecyclops fighting more fun.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Murodese posted:

My level 25 pawn just came back with a full set of Dragonforged Gryphic armour :raise:

Oh yeah, that was me. Started with the weapon and shield and just couldn't stop.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Azaael posted:

I did max out Strider and I mean I had plenty of fun with the class, but it was just a case of 'what can I do with my dude as a Strider that I can't do as an Assassin or Ranger?

Implicate! It is the reason I am running my Arisen as a Strider 95% of the time over Ranger. The Strider bow skill set does seem kind of tepid. I have 5-fold and Pentad, but I never really know what to do with that third slot. Right now I have Mighty Bend->Terrible Bend just because I have the ring yet. (Still waiting to find a Hundred Kisses+ ring)

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I'm about to hop on in a bit if there are goons 0-50 on 360 that fancy some high adventure times with me. GT is IllGarrett if you (like me) don't check the spreadsheet often and you fancy a level 30 ranger. He's decently equipped (Thanks to a goon :3: ) but hasn't been a ranger so long so I thought he was better as a strider, personally, but still.

Will screenshot dump a bit later too most likely.

EDIT: Thanks to goons so far, especially if it was one of you who gave me a portcrystal :3:

Also, where can I find Kingbay leaf? Bonus question: If I visit BBI once will that loving purple circle go away?

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 12, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The dark bishop as a magick archer sucked because my pawns kept running around like headless chicken or dying constantly. Getting caught by maelstrom right before I killed him is the first time I've had to use a wakestone. How far through BBI am I for the first time? How do I get the merchant to actually appear. I forgot to try upgrading my stuff since its all dragonforged now. I really wish I could find more cursed stuff too since I want to use the upgraded magick archer skills

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Scott Bakula posted:

The dark bishop as a magick archer sucked because my pawns kept running around like headless chicken or dying constantly. Getting caught by maelstrom right before I killed him is the first time I've had to use a wakestone. How far through BBI am I for the first time? How do I get the merchant to actually appear. I forgot to try upgrading my stuff since its all dragonforged now. I really wish I could find more cursed stuff too since I want to use the upgraded magick archer skills

I'm impressed that you've never been one-shotted by a garm or a minotaur. Those two are my primary wakestone uses.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've yet to see a garm and the only minotaur was in a tiny room and spent the entire time on the floor because of ricochet hunter

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Scott Bakula posted:

You're 2/3rds of the way through bitterblack 1st run.

If you want to see a Garm, in the the next major segment, area 2 you'll immediately see a Lich upon entering. Let it summon some undead then kill it. Or wait about a minute or two and Death might appear. Have fun!

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Gildiss posted:

Oh yeah, that was me. Started with the weapon and shield and just couldn't stop.

Muchos gracias, he looks awesome :D

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
So as someone who loved Dragon's Dogma, but felt it got kinda repetitive towards the end - is Dark Arisen worth picking up? I lost my old DD save and won't be able to import my dude, don't know how required that is to enjoy Dark Arisen.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Jefferoo posted:

So as someone who loved Dragon's Dogma, but felt it got kinda repetitive towards the end - is Dark Arisen worth picking up? I lost my old DD save and won't be able to import my dude, don't know how required that is to enjoy Dark Arisen.

They made some quality of life improvements to the main game overworld by making fast travel more practical from a monetary perspective. You get more checkpoints and Ferrystone become inexpensive once you start doing quests in Gran Soren. It helps the game be less tedious for sure.

That said the quest system still sucks, the combat remains incredibly satisfying, the plot is barely there until you fight/kill the dragon when it finally becomes interesting, and all the other stuff you might like/hate from regular Dragon's Dogma is still there.

I will say this. Bitterblack Isle is basically all the good things about Dragon's Dogma distilled into one challenging super dungeon. You just have to (or might have to depending one how good you are) get through most of the main quest to be strong enough to survive it.

Having never bought original DD I can say it was worth the 40 bucks warts and all.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I will say this. Bitterblack Isle is basically all the good things about Dragon's Dogma distilled into one challenging super dungeon. You just have to (or might have to depending one how good you are) get through most of the main quest to be strong enough to survive it.

At what level do people generally finish the main story? And do you go directly to Bitterblack Isle from there, or is there stuff to do post game prior to BBI?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I unlocked the final main quest dungeon at about...level 50+ I think?

I would recommend doing most of the content in the final dungeon just to make sure you have a decent store of equipment and money before Bitterblack. Skilled and knowledgeable players can probably tackle the first 1/3rd of Bitteblack before that, but things get serious in the second and third segments. Coming well prepared with good equipment will let you survive encounters with Necrophagus monsters such as Garm, Elder Ogre, and Cursed Dragon far easier than you would if you hadn't explored the final story dungeon for its equipment.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I hate to beg, but is there anyone running a team in need of a Warrior, specifically mine? I've been grinding Daimon hunting for the full set of Hellfire equipment and a bow/dagger set that isn't total rear end, and I've quickly outspent my stock of RC. And buying 30k of them for five bucks is such a horrible ripoff, it's awful.

Why is purifying weapons/armor so expensive Capcom? :qq:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

S-Alpha posted:

I hate to beg, but is there anyone running a team in need of a Warrior, specifically mine? I've been grinding Daimon hunting for the full set of Hellfire equipment and a bow/dagger set that isn't total rear end, and I've quickly outspent my stock of RC. And buying 30k of them for five bucks is such a horrible ripoff, it's awful.

Why is purifying weapons/armor so expensive Capcom? :qq:

I can take her for when I start getting deeper into Everfall. You're quite a bit higher level than me though, so I don't know how that affects how much RC you get.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there anything to do with the Badges of Vows I find in the From a Different Sky quests?

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I've heard in NG+ when you get the quests you can just pop them out of storage and immediately get the crystals and finish the quest instantly.

So, when the game says 'Saving Content', what exactly is it DOING outside of sleeping at an inn or advancing a quest? Cause it's not taking the space of my manual save and it certainly isn't a checkpoint. I think the save system is my largest beef with the game. Very clunky and almost completely opaque.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Geomancing posted:

So, when the game says 'Saving Content', what exactly is it DOING outside of sleeping at an inn or advancing a quest? Cause it's not taking the space of my manual save and it certainly isn't a checkpoint. I think the save system is my largest beef with the game. Very clunky and almost completely opaque.

It seems like there's two sorts of saves. If you go into the save menu, one of the options is "go to last checkpoint" or something. That gets you your last save at an inn, even if you've manually saved since then. No idea why, I guess somebody thought it was a good idea.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ugh, trying to beat Daimon's true form as a warrior is not very fun. It's mostly just jump attack until he casts a spell and then don't be in that radius, except when he starts stacking huge AoEs or brings in his phantom claws from outside the map, then I don't know what to do. It's just boring, especially after he sucks away your pawns (can you stop that as a warrior? Hitting him only got me sucked in too.)

Gonna try again as an assassin. I've got the Dire Gouge upgrade--is that a good thing to use on him?

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
Is dark arisen best experienced through a new game? I was going to pick this up soon but I had a level 100 character with all of the ur dragon & everfall equipment so I was worried that it'd be overkill for the new dungeon. I wouldn't mind starting a new game but I have a friend in the same boat, except that I think he ended up capping out his RC in the billions due to having a top 10 pawn and wouldn't want to restart.

Sorry if this is a common question, I've been reading through the thread & google to see whats new.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Lotish posted:

Gonna try again as an assassin. I've got the Dire Gouge upgrade--is that a good thing to use on him?

Every time I tried to climb up him, he'd blast me off with lightning. Really, I don't think it's particularly worth fighting him properly. The Tagilius' Miracle, Liquid Vim, four Conqueror's Periapts, Blast Arrows thing utterly wrecks him.

Malachite posted:

Is dark arisen best experienced through a new game? I was going to pick this up soon but I had a level 100 character with all of the ur dragon & everfall equipment so I was worried that it'd be overkill for the new dungeon. I wouldn't mind starting a new game but I have a friend in the same boat, except that I think he ended up capping out his RC in the billions due to having a top 10 pawn and wouldn't want to restart.

Oh no, even if you were sleepwalking through the Everfall, Bitterblack Isle is still going to be able to kick your rear end. Level 100 is a nice place to start, really.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Lotish posted:

Ugh, trying to beat Daimon's true form as a warrior is not very fun. It's mostly just jump attack until he casts a spell and then don't be in that radius, except when he starts stacking huge AoEs or brings in his phantom claws from outside the map, then I don't know what to do. It's just boring, especially after he sucks away your pawns (can you stop that as a warrior? Hitting him only got me sucked in too.)

I remember clinging to him and Gouging him is pretty good, though Blast Arrows, even with a mediocre bow, and 4 Conq Periapts is better overall since it sits there and causes him to recoil and he just doesn't do anything(Fivefold Flurry+ hitting him in his small head/neck area). Either way stack Conq periapts for it. If you really really want to melee him though I'd say Dire Gouge or it's upgrade is probably the best bet. (But yes, fighting him as melee is just far more difficult in every way.)

As for being a warrior on him, I don't even know if you can stop the draw in. They really dicked being pure melee for him over hard. Being pure melee on Daimon is less effective than a badly-rolled Tourist with poor RNG in Nethack. I think Arc charges far, far too slow for it. It's a case of 'Bring a bow or be prepared for a lot of annoyance.' (Though does anyone have any Sorc experience on him? Is there a spell that obliterates him pretty well?)

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay time for me to try some martial arts photography too.

• Locked thread