Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It'd be strange if Oracle, IBM and Microsoft didn't offer any certifications for their database products. Although I suppose they tend to be more about the management side of them and not the querying stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't know of a standard "SQL Certification" course like there is for MSCE or Red Hat Certification. Is there one?

I guessed he was talking about one of the Oracle or MSSQL certs. Those are more for the features of the server, though, and not SQL as a language.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

I guessed he was talking about one of the Oracle or MSSQL certs. Those are more for the features of the server, though, and not SQL as a language.

The job postings literally state "Certified in SQL." That's really vague as I'm seeing different levels of certification. I assume the HR drone had no idea what to post so that's what ended up there.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

The job postings literally state "Certified in SQL." That's really vague as I'm seeing different levels of certification. I assume the HR drone had no idea what to post so that's what ended up there.

SQL wasn't even designed as a programming language (and it's not) to be used by developers or engineers. It was supposed to be used by users and ops people to query their databases. In other words, it's very easy and you should have no trouble picking it up very quickly. SQL has a standardized set of instructions but every implementation (MSSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.) has its own implementation quirks and additional/modified functionality so you may want to learn about more about specifically what back-end you'd be dealing with if looking at a particular job.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

Jo posted:

I'm considering Scala, since it seems to fit the bill, and it's Java base means I can use Swing for GUI if I have to. Haskell is a potential candidate, even if the syntax is a bit scary. Are there other languages worth considering?

I'm a total Common Lisp zealot myself, so I'd suggest that except the GUI support has always been flaky. With Quicklisp it's a breeze to try out libraries. Compared to the languages you already worked with the community is quite a bit smaller so getting help is a little harder but there's a Lisp thread here on SA.

Clojure would check more of your boxes except it isn't turtles (Lisp) all the way down.

Anyway, Lisp is interesting enough to at least try out even if you do not end up liking it. Maybe just installing Racket and working through The Little Schemer would be a good introduction.

Personally, I stopped looking for "the best" language once I discovered Common Lisp. It's the language that gets the least in my way and Lisp is so loving malleable / fluid, I find it a joy to work with. Other people can't stand it however. Like I said, it is an interesting enough family of languages to at least have played around with.

aerique fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 12, 2013

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Jo posted:

I'm looking to learn a new language.

Delphi.

mcw
Jul 28, 2005
I didn't see a C# or Windows development thread, and I'm not sure this question necessitates one, so I'll start by posting it here...

I'm a web developer. I work on a team of web developers. Until a couple months ago, I had never developed a desktop application, and was unfamiliar with C#. My employer tasked me with using Visual Studio Tools for Office to create an Excel add-in, with the understanding that there's not a single person at this company that knows anything about this technology stack. Somehow I muddled my way through it, and now I've got a usable application.

The deliverable timeline over the past few months has been pretty tight. I've spent all of it learning about VSTO, and that has prevented me from learning some fundamental things about C#/Windows development, such as:

1) How to write effective tests within Visual Studio
2) How to write effective tests for a VSTO add-in
3) How to encapsulate code within reusable libraries, and how to include them in my solution

My question: Does anyone know of a book or tutorial that covers these things and is less than a thousand pages long? I've been searching, but much of what I'm finding is specific to various third-party add-ins that I have no intention of purchasing.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Jo posted:

Haskell is a potential candidate, even if the syntax is a bit scary.

If you decide to go with Haskell (you should), the syntax will probably be the least of your worries unless you've programmed in some ML or F#.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

yaoi prophet posted:

If you decide to go with Haskell (you should), the syntax will probably be the least of your worries unless you've programmed in some ML or F#.

This is definitely true. Usually, when I want to learn a new language, I spend 5-10 min on a syntax overview and then jump into writing something like a little web app or small game with it and look up things as I go. This will not work with one of these languages.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

MariusMcG posted:

I didn't see a C# or Windows development thread, and I'm not sure this question necessitates one,
I can't answer the actual question, but are you sure there isn't a thread for that?

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

Azuth0667 posted:

All of the postings I've been looking at ask for certification so I guess that level of skills. I'm not really sure where to start here.

SQL complexity ranges from the basic query statement like

SELECT * FROM MyTableName
which says to retrieve (SELECT) everything (*) FROM the table called MyTableName

to much, much more complex queries that call data from specific columns in different tables, manipulate that data, concatenate, collate, create hash values, views, functions, stored procedures, and on and on. I only know MS SQL Server so I'm not sure what advanced things Oracle can do, but it's a lot as well.

The Structured Query Language (SQL) itself has a base set of functionality that the major companies like MS and Oracle mostly adhere to, but there are some key differences in syntax and functionality at the advanced level that each has that the other doesn't or does differently to achieve the same result.

Best thing is to pick a SQL variant like MS SQL Server or Oracle (the big 2) and learn that. If it's a large company and they are using MySQL in their production environment, run, run like hell! :supaburn:

Oracle cert:
http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=50

MS SQL cert:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/sql-certification.aspx#fbid=6fiSzyCMnvi

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dancer posted:

Thank you, that first bit is all I needed to know :). Just to make totally sure: There's no way of opening files from that computer with a text editor on my machine? Because that would be very handy indeed. (it seems to me like your last statement would only apply to things which are already installed on the work machine).

On linux you can use SSHFS, which lets you mount any system you can ssh into as a networked drive (basically). I believe there's a windows version of this now as well, but I've never used it and have no idea how well it works.

And yeah, X forwarding only applies to stuff already on the school machine - it's a way of running programs on a remote system and displaying them on the system you're actually using. (Unlike, say, RDP, you get individual programs/windows rather than a single window with a complete desktop in it.)

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

This guy doesn't know how FTP works and you're suggesting he try to figure out loving X forwarding over SSH?

To be fair, it's pretty goddamn easy using the Cygwin X server:

- select "XWin Server" from the start menu, wait for a terminal to appear
- type "ssh -X user@whatever" into the terminal
- run your programs

Jo posted:

I'm looking to learn a new language. I've got x86 and ARM asm under my belt, along with C, C++, Java, Python, Javascript, and a bit of C#.

[...]

I'm considering Scala, since it seems to fit the bill, and it's Java base means I can use Swing for GUI if I have to. Haskell is a potential candidate, even if the syntax is a bit scary. Are there other languages worth considering?

Seconding the recommendation for Clojure. Runs on the JVM, can use all Java gui libraries (and I think has a Swing wrapper to make it slightly less terrible), parallelism and immutable state everywhere. It owns. Don't know about the openGL support, though.

Scala is also pretty great.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm an undergrad majoring in CS. Right now I've finished taking the core courses that teach the methodology of programming, as well as data structures and some stuff that's a little more in depth like reading assembly language.

I'm interested in spending my summer doing some studying on my own. I'm especially interested in computer security and want to learn how programs are exploited/defended against exploits. Can anyone point me towards a book or another resource that I can use for this?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm an undergrad majoring in CS. Right now I've finished taking the core courses that teach the methodology of programming, as well as data structures and some stuff that's a little more in depth like reading assembly language.

I'm interested in spending my summer doing some studying on my own. I'm especially interested in computer security and want to learn how programs are exploited/defended against exploits. Can anyone point me towards a book or another resource that I can use for this?

I found that the quickest way of getting up to speed on security is to just go to a bunch of conventions - check out say, Summercon (http://www.summercon.org) or Defcon (http://www.defcon.org). Conventions will generally have student discounts. You might not really understand the subject material presented but I learned a poo poo-ton just by googling stuff I heard people talking about at Summercon. The problem with learning from books is that computer security is a rapidly changing field and the textbook stuff will be super out-of-date.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

UnfurledSails posted:

Check out OWASP. WebGoat is a cool way to learn about web app penetration testing. There's a cool book on reverse-engineering mobile called Decompiling Android which would be interesting too (mobile security is huge right now and it would be fun to get in on it early). Some good books which I think lead to further thought/study:

- Software Security by Gary McGraw
- Writing Secure Code
- The Web Application Hacker's Handbook

I think one of the most important thing is to recognize that security goes well beyond network security (at my school, our only security class is about crypto and network stuff) and also that people focus too much on penetration testing instead of just writing good software to begin with. OWASP is definitely a good way to get your feet wet and get a broad overview of the landscape.

SummerCon sounds awesome though. I'm in NYC this summer so I think I'll definitely try and go.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I'm a tree stump when it comes to advanced programming know-how, so please excuse me if this question is supposed to be a simple one, but it's been on my mind lately and this seems like an interesting place to get an answer.

How do programs update? More specifically, when an update is pushed out, how does it usually bring two different prior versions of software to the exact same up-to-date version?

I guess what I'm asking is if I have version 1.01 of a piece of software, and someone else has version 1.5, how come some software will update both of our version to the new one (let's say 1.6) without having us download every single update on the way chronologically? And more importantly, how would they do it without the update file having a file-size equivalent to all the intermediate versions (since it needs to know exactly which addresses need to be updated)?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

I'm a tree stump when it comes to advanced programming know-how, so please excuse me if this question is supposed to be a simple one, but it's been on my mind lately and this seems like an interesting place to get an answer.

How do programs update? More specifically, when an update is pushed out, how does it usually bring two different prior versions of software to the exact same up-to-date version?

I guess what I'm asking is if I have version 1.01 of a piece of software, and someone else has version 1.5, how come some software will update both of our version to the new one (let's say 1.6) without having us download every single update on the way chronologically? And more importantly, how would they do it without the update file having a file-size equivalent to all the intermediate versions (since it needs to know exactly which addresses need to be updated)?
If you're distributing a single patch for all versions, you just bundle each individual previous patch and apply them incrementally until you're done.

If you're doing internet updates you can just create patches that target specific versions and update directly to the latest (or to a common version) since you don't need to rely on people knowing what version they're on currently (though it's obviously more work doing it this way).

quote:

how would they do it without the update file having a file-size equivalent to all the intermediate versions (since it needs to know exactly which addresses need to be updated)?
The best way to do this depends on how your program works. If you've got giant archive data files, don't apply patches directly to the archive; patch each individual file inside the archive. Basically keep the scope of your changes small by keeping well defined boundaries between data you'd need to change.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 13, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's pretty rare to have software actually use binary patches. Usually executable files are just replaced outright, so both the 1.01 user and 1.5 user is given the same 1.6 executable. Similar for other types of code.
In fact, most often an "update" is simply the full installation for the latest version, with some code in the installer to handle any special cases of updating configuration or such.

Things like OS updates tend to work with component packages that are updated individually.

Meanwhile, large games (typically MMOs) have simple code updates and then have a data file system where they can either add on more data files that override earlier versions, or a system where it repacks the old data files installed. The latter (repacking) takes more time to update and needs a lot of scratch space during the update, but in the end gives lower installed footprint and better loading performance.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

nielsm posted:

Meanwhile, large games (typically MMOs) have simple code updates and then have a data file system where they can either add on more data files that override earlier versions, or a system where it repacks the old data files installed. The latter (repacking) takes more time to update and needs a lot of scratch space during the update, but in the end gives lower installed footprint and better loading performance.
Yeah, a lot of applications where you're changing large files do this. Or their updates have a latest keyframe-style version packaged and then incremental patches on top of that, so you're not distributing hundred-Mb patches for things that could be a few Kb in size.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

IamJacksAlcoholism posted:

If it's a large company and they are using MySQL in their production environment, run, run like hell! :supaburn:

Just curious - why is this? Is MySQL not seen as a serious db? Or is it just personal preference, that you don't like their support tools or syntax or something?

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 13, 2013

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Peristalsis posted:

Just curious - why is this? Is MySQL just not seen as a serious db? Or is it just personal preference, that you don't like their support tools or syntax or something?

There are a lot of problems with MySQL, some historical and some current, with regards to data integrity and basic database features (eg. the lack of foreign keys, mysql_real_escape_string(), etc) that have indeed given it a poo poo reputation when used as anything more than a glorified flat file (how rails used it, historically) or as "the little hash table that could" (how PHP used it, historically). Some of these have been fixed or ameliorated. The "community" that grew up around it is also bad.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Peristalsis posted:

Just curious - why is this? Is MySQL just not seen as a serious db? Or is it just personal preference, that you don't like their support tools or syntax or something?

Light reading on the subject: http://grimoire.ca/mysql/choose-something-else

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
E: ^^^^ yeah, what he said.

Peristalsis posted:

My knowledge is mostly extremely dated, but here's what I remember:
  • Their db engine either shits on your data from time to time or if you use the other one it's slower than Postgres.
  • Their unicode support "utf8" charset errors on 5.0 and 5.5 with four-byte characters and technically isn't utf8. 5.5 added utf8m4 which actually supported utf8. 6.0 deleted uft8m4 and renamed it to utf8.
  • The default character set is latin1.
  • The default character collation is Swedish.
Basically, MySQL started as the fastest little database that could, and it did so by sacrificing a lot of conceptual integrity. It's the PHP of databases. You could be really practical and get started super fast, and defer the technical debt until later. Well, it turns out things get faster over time, and PostgreSQL, which started conceptually solid, started to scale better when you factor in multiple cores, among many other things. And it did so without causing eye-stabbingly awful bugs.

Why did MySQl get popular? Because it was there at the right time and provided what people needed, so it got deployed *everywhere*. Why is MySQL going nowhere? A couple of reasons:
  • Sun's buyout of MySQL and Oracle's buyout of Sun means Oracle would be competing against itself making MySQL a flagship product, if such a feat could ever be achieved given the quality of the thing.
  • MySQL has fragmented into Oracle MySQL, MariaDB, and Percona, and the forks have notable advantages on top of MySQL, not to mention were forked by former MySQL team members, not some randoms
  • Anything that needs to do geolocation will very likely be using PostGIS anyways, which is built on PostgreSQL

New projects should use PostgreSQL.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
PostgreSQL also has two factorial operators, which is two more than MySQL has.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

"[s posted:

shrughes[/s], Doctor w-rw-rw-, Otto Skorzeny" post="415407653"]
MySQL hate

Thanks for the info - I had no idea.

1) Are there still people who disagree, and advocate for MySQL, or is this just a decided issue in database circles?
2) Is Postgres awesome, or does it just not suck as badly as MySQL? Are there cliques of people who have valid, fundamental complaints about it, as well?
3) My impression is that MySQL is considered more standard, and is more supported. For example, FileMaker can connect to a MySQL external data source, but I don't think it can connect to Postgres. Is this a pretty wide problem? If so, is it changing?
4) Is either one easier for IT departments to administer?
5) It seems to me that everyone hates Oracle, but not for basic integrity problems as much as for business practices, costs, and for being a corporate bully. I think we have access to an Oracle license. Given the choice, would using Oracle be preferable to using MySQL?

We're at a bit of a fork in the road at work in terms of where our projects are going, and if I can save myself some grief later by advocating for better decisions now, I'd like to do so, but I need to know what I'm talking about, and I'll need to have viable alternatives.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 13, 2013

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Peristalsis posted:

1) Are there still people who disagree, and advocate for MySQL, or is this just a decided issue in database circles?
There aren't a lot of people who will claim that MySQL is totally awesome, but the pretty overwhelming opinion is that it's good enough, and it's been the default free database server for so long that using something else requires some pretty compelling advantages.

Peristalsis posted:

2) Is Postgres awesome, or does it just not suck as badly as MySQL? Are there cliques of people who have valid, fundamental complaints about it, as well?
Postgres historically had some issues, but these days it's pretty awesome.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The one thing that MySQL has that Postgres doesn't is really good upgrade tools.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Don't include me in the MySQL haters club. I was making fun of PostgreSQL.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Peristalsis posted:

3) My impression is that MySQL is considered more standard, and is more supported. For example, FileMaker can connect to a MySQL external data source, but I don't think it can connect to Postgres. Is this a pretty wide problem? If so, is it changing?
4) Is either one easier for IT departments to administer?
5) It seems to me that everyone hates Oracle, but not for basic integrity problems as much as for business practices, costs, and for being a corporate bully. I think we have access to an Oracle license. Given the choice, would using Oracle be preferable to using MySQL?

We're at a bit of a fork in the road at work in terms of where our projects are going, and if I can save myself some grief later by advocating for better decisions now, I'd like to do so, but I need to know what I'm talking about, and I'll need to have viable alternatives.

Don't include me in the MySQL haters club either. I don't think highly of it, but there's a time and a place for it. If you asked me to expand on that, I would have a hard time distilling my thoughts, though.

1) MongoDB is a joke too and people still use it - can't really say anything about the database programs is "decided" unless it's already dead and buried. Don't worry about it too much IMO.
2) Postgres is pretty awesome. That said, iirc MySQL does multi-master replication; vanilla Postgres doesn't.
3) Depends on what you mean by standard. Widely used enough to get a lot of support? Prefers incorrect behavior to throwing errors?
4) phpMyAdmin is one of the most entrenched MySQL admin interfaces. Sequel Pro (mac app) is also pretty solid, and both are built for MySQL.
5) If you have a license for Oracle? As far as technical concerns go, Oracle over MySQL, every time. There's a reason Oracle continues to sell it for stupid huge amounts of money.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

1) MongoDB is a joke too and people still use it - can't really say anything about the database programs is "decided" unless it's already dead and buried. Don't worry about it too much IMO.

As a dog returns to its vomit
As a sow returns to her mire
As a burnt fools bandaged hand
goes wobbling back to the fire...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Peristalsis posted:

We had some Oracle reps come to my place of business and they laid out what they saw as the advantages of Oracle vs MySQL. When we laid out our requirements (a pretty basic set of tables, some linked primary ids, nothing super advanced), they agreed that we didn't need the bells and whistles of a serious expensive Oracle database and should just set up something in MySQL. Their summary was that an Oracle db is for really large databases that need a lot of advanced features, but if you just want a database that holds retrievable information then MySQL is good enough.

So Oracle advocates for MySQL. Plus the MySQLdb module of Python is pretty sweet and fits into our framework really nicely, so count me in as a MySQL advocate

I also have a friend whose primary job is to maintain an Oracle db, and he absolutely hates it. He hates all of their lovely tools and utilities (his words). So I'm somewhat glad that we didn't waste a bunch of money on an Oracle db that we didn't need, at least. Neither of us have had experience with other types of databases, so I can't really speak of them; I'd be happy to give something else a try for my next big db project

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 14, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

We had some Oracle reps come to my place of business and they laid out what they saw as the advantages of Oracle vs MySQL. When we laid out our requirements (a pretty basic set of tables, some linked primary ids, nothing super advanced), they agreed that we didn't need the bells and whistles of a serious expensive Oracle database and should just set up something in MySQL. Their summary was that an Oracle db is for really large databases that need a lot of advanced features, but if you just want a database that holds retrievable information then MySQL is good enough.

So Oracle advocates for MySQL. Plus the MySQLdb module of Python is pretty sweet and fits into our framework really nicely, so count me in as a MySQL advocate

I also have a friend whose primary job is to maintain an Oracle db, and he absolutely hates it. He hates all of their lovely tools and utilities (his words). So I'm somewhat glad that we didn't waste a bunch of money on an Oracle db that we didn't need, at least. Neither of us have had experience with other types of databases, so I can't really speak of them; I'd be happy to give something else a try for my next big db project

While I'm surprised that the reps didn't railroad you into getting a full Oracle DB with all that entails, the only reason they recommended MySQL instead is because they own it, there's no way they'd suggest Postgres or anything else when they could get you set up with a "perfectly fine" database now and then milk you on support or upgrades.

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

So Oracle advocates for MySQL.

Oracle owns MySQL

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ Yes, I'm aware of that. You'd expect Oracle salesmen to use the deficiencies of MySQL in order to push customers toward an Oracle db, but they really weren't trying that on us at all.

"Oracle reps" is an answer the question "Who advocates for MySQL?"

mobby_6kl posted:

While I'm surprised that the reps didn't railroad you into getting a full Oracle DB with all that entails, the only reason they recommended MySQL instead is because they own it, there's no way they'd suggest Postgres or anything else when they could get you set up with a "perfectly fine" database now and then milk you on support or upgrades.

They didn't set it up. We didn't purchase any services, they pretty much just said "Yup, I think everyone in this room agrees that you shouldn't blow a ton of money on an Oracle db." This thing is so small and straightforward that I sincerely doubt that we'll need professional support or upgrades within the next 5 years

Note that I'm not extolling the virtues of MySQL or anything, it just seems weird that the reps so easily pushed us away from purchasing something much more expensive. They kind of half-heartedly mentioned a few of the advantages of an Oracle db and then immediately relented and said "this may be a waste of your money"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 14, 2013

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
If there wasn't a strong case they'd want to be in a position of trust rather than upsell you, fail, and have you go to a db they didn't own. No surprise that they'd recommend MySQL if their consultants thought Oracle wouldn't be a good fit.

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

^^^ Yes, I'm aware of that. You'd expect Oracle salesmen to use the deficiencies of MySQL in order to push customers toward an Oracle db, but they really weren't trying that on us at all.

They did though. They recognised that you weren't going to pay for their enterprise product, so they pushed you towards the other Oracle RDBMS.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a resource for devs looking to get into free lance work? Until I can YOTJ and get somewhere that pays me appropriately, I seriously need a second source of income. I'd love to start doing some PHP work and design sites for small local businesses, but I'm afraid of potential legal repercussions and stuff. Also tax implications for when I need to file next year... And I'd have no idea how much to charge :stare:

Ideally I'd just come up with a few 'templates' and fill them in appropriately for customers, then maybe come up with a flat fee or something.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 15, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've started a C++ class, and I'm trying to make a simple program that gets the user's first and last names and then prints them. However, Visual Studio 2010 keeps choking on
code:
cin >> fName;
and all I see is an error that says "binary '>>' : no operator found which takes a left-hand operand of type 'std::istream' (or there is no acceptable conversion)" which means nothing to me. I have included iostream, and declared using namespace std. What am I missing?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
code:
#include <string>
Add that to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tarepanda posted:

code:
#include <string>
Add that to the top.

I realized that a bit ago, but I still get the same error. I noticed that when u initialize a string, the word "string" doesn't show up in blue as "double" or "int" do.