Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"miscellaneous" skills only improving via trainer

His justification for this change is the most asinine thing I've ever read, but you're generally right. He's very upfront about what he does and why he does it. He does have some genuinely good ideas, too. I'm especially fond of his spell effects plugin, because it's subtle and unobtrusive, but makes a big difference for my mage characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Off the top of my head, there's Always Hit Morrowind, which removes the CTH aspect from the game and makes every hit connect. It's a crude solution, but there really aren't any mods that will capture the combat of Skyrim beyond getting rid of the constant whiffing.

Weapon skill being just a number kind of drags that down for me, otherwise that would've been a really good solution. I did some looking around and found this, which looks really good, but is it just too bloated script-wise to work properly? Apparently non-normal weapons (silver on up basically) are kind of overpowered (see: break things) in comparison to the lower tiers, though.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Has anyone taken a look at the just released Morrowind Rebirth? I keep trying to launch it but I get a ton of broken things.

code:
Item "bm_chest_loot_ammo_01" not found on "bm_dungeonlloot_chest".
Item "bm_chest_loot_marksman_01" not found on "bm_dungeonlloot_chest".
Item "bm_chest_loot_ammo_01" not found on "bm_dungeonloot_barrel".
Item "bm_chest_loot_marksman_01" not found on "bm_dungeonloot_barrel".
Expression Error Unable to find object "misc_com_bottle_11 float" in script Float_Bottle_11.
My masters list from my Morrowind.ini:

INI code:
[Game Files]
GameFile0=Bloodmoon.esm
GameFile1=Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta (Morrowind Rebirth Edit).esm
GameFile2=Morrowind.esm
GameFile3=Tribunal.esm
GameFile4=Morrowind Rebirth 2.2 - Racial Diversity 1.2 - Addon.ESP
GameFile5=Morrowind Rebirth 2.2.esp

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Musical_Daredevil posted:

4. Install files 1-7 in this .zip folder (compiled by Hadlock). It includes dx9 full, visual c++ 2008 redist, .net framework 2.0, .net framework 4.0, and JRE win64. Number 6 can be extracted to your main Morrowind folder and number 7 to your Data Files folder. Number 8 is Oggumogoggum's megapack (described below), which is optional but highly recommended.

I've been thinking about installing and modding up this game, since I haven't played it since release and didn't have much in the way of mods back then. The zip file here, however, no longer exists. Is there a mirror of it somewhere?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Nighthand posted:

I've been thinking about installing and modding up this game, since I haven't played it since release and didn't have much in the way of mods back then. The zip file here, however, no longer exists. Is there a mirror of it somewhere?

Try it again. It's probably because I haven't logged into the account in a while.

Edit: Never mind. It seems to work for me when logged in, but not otherwise. Not sure why and I haven't gotten any messages from Mediafire. Try this one for now while I figure out what's going on.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 12, 2013

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Nighthand posted:

If you're doing MGSO then I don't think you need to bother with most of the stuff in the OP, the new installer does all the date changes and as all the other files you need as well. In fact, I think following the instructions in the OP screwed me on my last reinstall.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Are MGSO, Morrowind Rebirth and Tamriel Rebuilt all compatible? Are there any other recommended mods to add to make the world as expansive and detailed as I can?

I'm relatively new to modding, since I'm not normally a PC gamer (due to lack of funds for a worthwhile PC) so I don't much know what to watch out for when installing all of this stuff. I'm only half-confident that my laptop is going to run a modded up Morrowind.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I haven't tried Rebirth, but MGSO and Tamriel Rebuilt work fine together.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nighthand posted:

Are MGSO, Morrowind Rebirth and Tamriel Rebuilt all compatible? Are there any other recommended mods to add to make the world as expansive and detailed as I can?

I'm relatively new to modding, since I'm not normally a PC gamer (due to lack of funds for a worthwhile PC) so I don't much know what to watch out for when installing all of this stuff. I'm only half-confident that my laptop is going to run a modded up Morrowind.

I use them together, and they are all compatible, except you want to make sure to disable the grass option in MGSO, because Rebirth changes a lot of landscapes and you'll have buried/floating grass everywhere it touches. Other than that, they are great together.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Awesome, thanks all. I'll probably get to installing all this tonight and see if it works.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Isn't there some way to quickly move items from the inventory to a chest or somesuch? I've tried control- or shift-clicking. It's driving me a bit batty having to move items one by one after a night of pillaging :)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Alright, that process went pretty much exactly as expected. Took a long time, I made the newbie mistake of not testing after each mod pack, and it stuck at a black screen after the opening cutscene. Poking mods a bit made it work enough to get a character started, and now I just need to tweak things so my outdoor framerate is above 10. Indoors I get closer to 30, which is fine and playable for now. I pretty much expected the performance hit on this computer, since it's not actually very good.

The ridiculous installer for MGSO 3.0 is amazing and I love it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Good for you. I was never able to get MGSO to work for me; instead I was always stuck with a black screen. I didn't fiddle with enabling/disabling mods much. The game would give an error saying 'such and such mod failed' and I would disable it, but then the next message would just pop up with another mod, which I would uncheck from the list and so on several more times.. I eventually gave up.

What are your computer's specs? I took a noticeable performance hit just from using Oggumsmods2, so I doubt MGSO would work too well for me anyway. Going to try Morroblivion instead. Vanilla Oblivion runs fine on my computer, so I hope it's a better solution for me anyway. It looks like the install process is no more of a cakewalk, though.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Try it again. It's probably because I haven't logged into the account in a while.

Edit: Never mind. It seems to work for me when logged in, but not otherwise. Not sure why and I haven't gotten any messages from Mediafire. Try this one for now while I figure out what's going on.

Hey, just to let you know, this one's gone too.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

^^^ Most of the things in it, I think (the .net frameworks, directX version install and stuff) is now part of the MGSO installer. It checks if you have a version that works and has you install one if it doesn't. Granted that's not helpful if you're not using MGSO, but still.

RE: Computer:

I'm trying to get everything to work on a compaq laptop. Win7x64, a 2.3ghx AMD turion II, 3gb ram, and a mobility radeon HD4200 graphics weak point.

I still have some errors, mostly related to Tamriel Rebuilt I believe. I had to disable TR_Mainland due to things like "missing guar_count in cell ID something something" it's not logged since it was a while back. I also get a bunch of (apparently unimportant) "
Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_common_1." references.

Also, to get a decent framerate, I essentially have to disable MGE and Distant Lands, which is where most of the graphics improvements are, so I'm going to wait for major play until I get a new computer, hopefully some time next month.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Evil Sock posted:

Hey, just to let you know, this one's gone too.

I was afraid of that. I'll probably go back to just links again, but I need to check which ones are needed for any installation and which ones are just for MGSO.

Nighthand posted:

I'm trying to get everything to work on a compaq laptop. Win7x64, a 2.3ghx AMD turion II, 3gb ram, and a mobility radeon HD4200 graphics weak point.

If the framerate is too low to be playable you can try using the Morrowind FPS Optimizer until your new computer comes in.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Well, that took way too long.

As far as I can tell, you only need DirectX 9.0 for installation and .NET 2.0 for MGEXE, with MGSO taking care of everything it needs by itself. I've updated the OP to reflect this with links to both of them. I'm still not sure what's going on with Mediafire, but this will work (at least for now).

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I went for a stroll in Seattle and I uncovered a cult that worships Dagoth Ur.
Should I refer to the nearest Fighters or Mages Guild?
What's the protocol here?
It's really artwork by a native American not Dagoth Ur.
edit: no idea why imgur isn't showing the images yet...
doubleedit: My bbcode-fu lacks. :(

frogge fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 22, 2013

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

bobthedinosaur posted:

I went for a stroll in Seattle and I uncovered a cult that worships Dagoth Ur.

Should I refer to the nearest Fighters or Mages Guild? What's the protocol here?

It's really artwork by a native American not Dagoth Ur.
edit: no idea why imgur isn't showing the images yet...

Imgur is, you just can't have a comma and two IDs in one IMG tag. They also have to be images, not the page links.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Does anyone know a good keyring mod? I found this and it has some comments indicating bugs but I can't tell if the author updated it or not.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Some news updates from the internet:

Kingpix is alive and "working on something new." No word on the Game Experience Overhaul, though.

In Kingpix's absence, john.moonsugar has been working on fixes to known issues with MGSO. You can find the latest patch at Great House Fliggerty. I can't guarantee that every problem mentioned recently in this thread has been fixed but many of them should be.

Hrmchand, as usual, has been silently updating MGE-XE on the Skunkworks account rather than the main one. The current version is 0.9.10 beta 7. As with any beta, you install it at your own risk and should expect some bugs.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Hey guys, I got my Morrowind looking nice and pretty, but I noticed one minor issue:

See how there's like a black outline of the tree models that's visible through the ground/other trees? It goes away when it stops raining. Wondering if anyone else has seen it before.

Also, anyone know a good mod to reduce/remove cliff racers? The ones I found on Nexus have a lot of comments saying they don't work.

Sikreci fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 2, 2013

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

AceSnyp3r posted:

Also, anyone know a good mod to reduce/remove cliff racers? The ones I found on Nexus have a lot of comments saying they don't work.
I couldn't find any extinction mods that worked with my installation, but someone here pointed me towards a pacification mod that does. No idea about the trees, though, sorry.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AceSnyp3r posted:

Hey guys, I got my Morrowind looking nice and pretty, but I noticed one minor issue:

See how there's like a black outline of the tree models that's visible through the ground/other trees? It goes away when it stops raining. Wondering if anyone else has seen it before.

I'm going to wager you're running MGEXE either on its own or as a part of MGSO. 90% of the time its a shader problem, try disabling shaders entirely and reenabling them one at a time. If that doesn't work the problem may be a bit more difficult to diagnose.

also http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=5289 works for cliff racer extinction, but the pacifism mod is generally more lore-friendly and less-intrusive into leveled lists (it's really only one variable changed).

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Just reinstalled Morrowind and followed the OP's instruction and a few other minor mods as well. Has anyone played Tamriel Rebuilt in its current state? I'm curious to try it out, but if its too incomplete I guess I'll wait.

Also, are there any mods that make encumbrance like Oblivion or Skyrim, IE, you aren't slowed by your weight unless you carry more than your limit?

Broken Box fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 7, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Broken Box posted:

Just reinstalled Morrowind and followed the OP's instruction and a few other minor mods as well. Has anyone played Tamriel Rebuilt in its current state? I'm curious to try it out, but if its too incomplete I guess I'll wait.

TR is still lacking a good deal in the way of fleshing out, e.g. quests and so on, but nonetheless as it stands it's an immense and brilliant addition and you sure as poo poo won't regret giving it a whirl.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah Tamriel Rebuilt is sweet. Most of the content you won't even be able to tell is added content, it fits in so well.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Broken Box posted:

Also, are there any mods that make encumbrance like Oblivion or Skyrim, IE, you aren't slowed by your weight unless you carry more than your limit?

Even if the mod isn't done, half the point of Morrowind is to pick a direction and wander around that way just to find out what's over the next hill, which what's released of Tamriel Rebuilt so far does spectacularly. There are a bunch of NPCs and quests too of course.

If you want to wait though, you'll be waiting a while. That mod is taking a very long time to come out so you might as well download what you can now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Am I correct that this newest landmass for TR also includes the first two landmasses in the same download? I might just install it and goof off in it tonight if I can't make other plans.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

C-Euro posted:

Am I correct that this newest landmass for TR also includes the first two landmasses in the same download? I might just install it and goof off in it tonight if I can't make other plans.

Yeah it does. And although I wouldn't say it's as good as vanilla content it's still probably the closest a mod can get. They have a fairly strict content review process and generally people work only on one particular aspect of the thing, like writing or scripting or such.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I installed TR a long time ago but have never officially been to the new landmasses. I've COC'ed to a few places to test some things out, but TR has basically been a glorified landmass backstop to look at from Morrowind. It does a really good job at that, however, and from what I saw, it's a really nice looking place. One thing to keep in mind is that some areas are pretty heavy with Morrowind trees, and if you use a mod that replaces Morrowind's trees with higher-res models (like Vurt or Vality), the literal forests can really impact performance because they were never intended to be used in the numbers that TR uses them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Does anyone know of a good mod to expand Morrowind's enchanting abilities?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Private Speech posted:

Yeah it does. And although I wouldn't say it's as good as vanilla content it's still probably the closest a mod can get.

I'd actually argue some of the settlements, at least, are better than vanilla ones. Places like Firewatch are amazing, and Necrom is seriously mindblowing. I can't wait to see the new Mournhold when the next release arrives.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Azuth0667 posted:

Does anyone know of a good mod to expand Morrowind's enchanting abilities?

Morrowind Code Patch has a couple of decent options to rebalance enchanting. If that's not enough there's Inscription for MWE, but MWE has tendency to corrupt saves so it's pretty annoying to use. You'll want to make manual saves if you use it.

Mister Adequate posted:

I'd actually argue some of the settlements, at least, are better than vanilla ones. Places like Firewatch are amazing, and Necrom is seriously mindblowing. I can't wait to see the new Mournhold when the next release arrives.

The think that annoys me about firewatch are those loving arrowslits everywhere. I don't really understand why they needed to add that model, it's really bland and doesn't fit in. And some of the decoration like tapestries and such is pretty different in style from the vanilla textures; though I guess that doesn't matter if you are using texture overhauls.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Just a general game question: are Trainers a really big part of Morrowind, unlike TES 4 and 5? I'm only level 3 and I already have enough money just from looting ruins that I don't have much to spend my money on anymore except training.

Also, that cliff racer pacification mod works perfectly with my MGSO install, thanks! Now I can run around the Ashlands seeing all the cliff racers and thinking "Boy, I sure am glad I have a mod this time around!"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

AceSnyp3r posted:

Just a general game question: are Trainers a really big part of Morrowind, unlike TES 4 and 5? I'm only level 3 and I already have enough money just from looting ruins that I don't have much to spend my money on anymore except training.

Also, that cliff racer pacification mod works perfectly with my MGSO install, thanks! Now I can run around the Ashlands seeing all the cliff racers and thinking "Boy, I sure am glad I have a mod this time around!"

Training is pretty much the only big money sink there aside from lazy enchanting.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

AceSnyp3r posted:

Trainers are useful if you want to cheese your level-up stat multipliers, or if you're level 30 and swimming in gold and decide you want to try out blocking or spears. Unlike Oblivion and Skyrim, it's more effective to use them to rank up a bunch of low-level skills really quickly, rather than one high-level skill, since there's no per-level training limit and Morrowind's skill failure system makes training up new skills a bitch.

Also handy: if you get training from someone with a shop, the gold you give them will be added to their available gold. I power-leveled Alchemy by buying Ajira's restocking ingredients and selling the potions I made back to her, and when she ran out of money, just asked her for a couple ranks of training.

The Furious Pirate
Oct 10, 2005
ARGH MATEY!
Here's a link to the pluginless head and hair pack I made around two years ago. I tried my best to adhere to the art style Bethesda originally used in choosing the new heads and hair, and overall this should provide a much more lore-friendly experience for anyone wishing to get rid of the ugly stock models. I've tweaked it a little bit since I first created it.

This covers everything within Morrowind and the expansions. It doesn't touch Tamriel Rebuilt or the stock faces that team chose to re-use, though (meaning that if you have TR installed, stock-modeled faces will show up alongside the modded faces at character creation, and quite a few of the TR NPCs will be using stock faces.)

EDIT: http://www.staglanparty.com/mw/BH%20Pluginless.7z (Thanks for the hosting, Bone_Enterprise. Apologies for the original 4shared link.)

Also don't lose it again, jerkfaces. How was I to know Megaupload would get shut down?

EDIT 2: Although I put a good deal of time into compiling all of the different heads and hairs for my pack, I found something recently that I would recommend over it: Vvardenfell Visages by Telesphoros.

The versions you can find on PES and Morrowind Modding History seem to not be packaged properly, and a few textures were thrown into the wrong directories. I've uploaded a properly packages version on my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3da0zaexq2nxkel/Vvardenfell%20Visages%20fixed.zip

Overall this mod is extremely lore friendly with respect to the original facial characteristics Bethesda had intended. The only glaring flaw present is that most of the Dark Elf faces have reddish-purple eyes instead of red. If you can deal with that one picky thing this is a quality pack.

I'd suggest checking out my compilation only for curiosity's sake now (I don't even use it anymore, myself. I've switched to VV.)

The Furious Pirate fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 1, 2013

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

The Furious Pirate posted:

Here's a link to the pluginless head and hair pack I made around two years ago. I tried my best to adhere to the art style Bethesda originally used in choosing the new heads and hair, and overall this should provide a much more lore-friendly experience for anyone wishing to get rid of the ugly stock models. I've tweaked it a little bit since I first created it.

This covers everything within Morrowind and the expansions. It doesn't touch Tamriel Rebuilt or the stock faces that team chose to re-use, though (meaning that if you have TR installed, stock-modeled faces will show up alongside the modded faces at character creation, and quite a few of the TR NPCs will be using stock faces.)

https://www.4shared.com/archive/pPZN8hji/BH_Pluginless.html

Also don't lose it again, jerkfaces. How was I to know Megaupload would get shut down?

Since I despise websites that you have to create an account just do download files much less that has ads all over the loving place, I have put this on my hosting where I have some other files for this game:

https://www.staglanparty.com/mw/BH%20Pluginless.7z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Is the Tamriel rebuilt mod worth it all? I mean I'm intrigued by being able to play an even larger version of the game, but if its mostly empty space I don't think its worth my time.