Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Saucy Salamander, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cheekio posted:

I have a fun general question that isn't about fixing anything!

Compiz apparently has a bug where live window resizing hogs the CPU and makes responsive web design pretty much impossible, so I'm looking at options. I believe I can just replace the buggy unity/compiz altogether, which means I'm in the market for a new window manager. Oh the possibilities!

What's slick? What's good? What will I swear by and refuse to use anything besides well after its no longer supported?

I like fluxbox. Its simple and it stays out of the way. It is incredibly customizable. Combined with cairo-doc with psuedo transparency, I find it a pleasure to use. If you are looking for a more full featured WM I like xfce as a lightweight desktop environment.

Shugyousha
Sep 24, 2007
Just (s)trolling by...

greazeball posted:

I have a dumb problem but maybe someone here can help.

I'm trying to get a wordle as a pdf by using the print to pdf trick. But the "print" button in the wordle java applet doesn't do anything. No errors, just totally unresponsive. Is there some way I can allow the applet to access the virtual printer? I'm running Ubuntu 12.04

It's a long shot but it maybe helpful to take a look at the strace output when pressing the "print" button (you would have to run strace on the browser you use). The strace output may point to the source of the problem.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
So I put a fresh install of 13.04 on my old Acer Aspire 5920 laptop, and it now refuses to wake up from suspend (drive and wifi lights flash, it looks like it's doing something, but the screen never comes on and C+A+F1, Alt-Sys-K, etc. don't do anything). Googling gets me a bunch of old suspend/hibernate issues but not much from the latest version. Tried adding noacpi on boot, that didn't work either. Anyone else have this going on? Suggestions?

Edit: Installed a proprietary nVidia driver, seems to have worked.

Tad Naff fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 11, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ubuntu, actually Unity. drives me nuts. Here's my object of rage right now:

All I have open is Hacker News which is a pretty drat basic website. But my Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz sits there IDLING at 25% CPU usage for both cores. Seriously? (the upticks in the graph are due to the screenshot program I used).

Bonus points if you can see how the Firefox window and System Monitor window aren't layered or composited or whatever right, Bug in either Unity or the ATI/AMD FGLRX drivers I guess.

:argh:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Bob Morales posted:

All I have open is Hacker News which is a pretty drat basic website. But my Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz sits there IDLING at 25% CPU usage for both cores. Seriously? (the upticks in the graph are due to the screenshot program I used).

Bonus points if you can see how the Firefox window and System Monitor window aren't layered or composited or whatever right, Bug in either Unity or the ATI/AMD FGLRX drivers I guess.

If you use top you can actually see what is causing your high cpu usage instead of just wildly guessing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Longinus00 posted:

If you use top you can actually see what is causing your high cpu usage instead of just wildly guessing.

It's compiz

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

And to be clearer, it's not taking up 25% by itself, a lot of that is system monitor (yay beziers) but even still, it shouldn't take 7-10% of a (modern as of 5 years ago) CPU to basically do nothing. When I boot into LXDE the CPU is almost completely idle.

I don't mean to be that guy who spergs about 7% of his CPU being used, but it does bug me from a laptop point of view. There's heat and power being lost when you're chugging along at 10% CPU usage when it could be more like 2%.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Bob Morales posted:

Before complaining further, you might also want to check if the cpu is also being power-managed.

It's not uncommon for, say, a 2400 MHZ cpu to be underclocked to 800 mhz when the system isn't under load. 25% of THAT is only 1/12 of the processor's capacity, which is pretty reasonable for background desktop stuff.

atomjack
May 17, 2003

Has anyone been able to get user upstart jobs working on Raring (13.04)? My 12.04 installation was being wonky so I did a fresh install (of 13.04 server), but I can't seem to get the upstart jobs (located in ~/.init/) that worked fine in 12.04 to work now - it just returns unknown job. Most of the searches I've performed on google relate to User Upstart Sessions, which doesn't do me any good as this is for a background job (a node.js script, actually). I've even tried editing /etc/dbus-1/system.d/Upstart.conf, to no avail.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
E: moved.

stray fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 18, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

With 13.04, when I open Dash and start typing, a new tab opens up in my current browser window (or it opens a new browser window if one doesn't exist), for every character I type. Five letters typed = five new tabs. Each tab is opened to "about:blank". I'm using Chrome.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

With 13.04, when I open Dash and start typing, a new tab opens up in my current browser window (or it opens a new browser window if one doesn't exist), for every character I type. Five letters typed = five new tabs. Each tab is opened to "about :blank". I'm using Chrome.

It's probably your online accounts that needs attention. Try to login to Google or Facebook or whatever needs attention in the "Online Accounts" in "system settings", or simply disable online accounts.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sir Cornelius posted:

It's probably your online accounts that needs attention. Try to login to Google or Facebook or whatever needs attention in the "Online Accounts" in "system settings", or simply disable online accounts.

Oh yeah, I forgot I asked this question here. A few days after I posted that I found out the solution which was exactly what you say.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I am noticing something odd in 12.04 (.02 server lts). Running "top c" instead of "top -c" gives a syntax error. "top c" works fine in 10.04 (various), 13.04 (xubuntu) and most other linux's I've used so I'm a bit mystified on this. Googling questions about top is challenging as well due to how common the term is and that top is used in troubleshooting so many other things.

fraggsta
Feb 2, 2003

mmmm, black straight hair.
Why is an nvidia card in Ubuntu 13.04 with a HDTV such a ballache?

I have been given a HDTV which puts a large amount of overscan on a 720P image chopping a bit off each side. There is no way to stop it doing this. Yes I have checked. To get rid of this I actually had to create an xorg.conf and manually write a metamode then repeatedly adjust it and then log off/on in a horrible cycle of trial and error.

This used to be a slider in the nvidia-settings program - nice and easy - but now it's been removed because apparently that's too easy! Why?! Surely there's a better way that I'm missing? I thought X.Org was moving away from needing to have an xorg.conf

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Have they released any support for the iPhone 5 that allows syncing? I assume you would have to be able to mount it? Which I am currently unable to do.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Aquila posted:

I am noticing something odd in 12.04 (.02 server lts). Running "top c" instead of "top -c" gives a syntax error. "top c" works fine in 10.04 (various), 13.04 (xubuntu) and most other linux's I've used so I'm a bit mystified on this. Googling questions about top is challenging as well due to how common the term is and that top is used in troubleshooting so many other things.

if you run which top, is it aliased or running a different binary or anything?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Noob question incoming: I'm having trouble mounting a samba share (shared from OpenElec). It shows up fine under Network in the file browser but I'd like to mount it so it shows up e.g. in the downloads pop-up from Chrome (if there's a better way to do this let me know). I'm getting permission denied when I used sudo mount -t cifs. Which doesn't make sense since I looked at the .conf and everything is set to guest access, plus I added "map to guest = Bad User". Any ideas?

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Noob question incoming: I'm having trouble mounting a samba share (shared from OpenElec). It shows up fine under Network in the file browser but I'd like to mount it so it shows up e.g. in the downloads pop-up from Chrome (if there's a better way to do this let me know). I'm getting permission denied when I used sudo mount -t cifs. Which doesn't make sense since I looked at the .conf and everything is set to guest access, plus I added "map to guest = Bad User". Any ideas?

Does the user account have permissions? Have you set a password for the account using smbpasswd?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I have it set up so everyone is a guest and guests have full access. Plus since the shares show up in the File Browser it seems strange that permission would be denied.

Ninja edit: Sorry if I'm missing the point of your question.

Edit: Figured it out, apparently in 13.04 you have to add sec=ntlm to /etc/fstab

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 13, 2013

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Hey, is there some known issue with Skype in 12.04? I have been able to sit on Skype for a day or two just fine but now I keep getting signed out with a message only saying "You have been signed out" on the login page. I've rebooted, gone to the .Skype folder and have deleted shared.xml like a couple of websites have suggested, I've even tried running it root... Just keeps kicking me out. Wanna talk to my friends :(

EDIT: Alright what the gently caress.

Last night I decided to just give up after some dickery and decided to log in to Skype on my iPhone too... which wouldn't sign me in either. So I just went to bed, came back this morning and it hasn't kicked me off in the five minutes it's been running so far. It could still kick me off in the meantime but :itisamystery:

Green Puddin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 13, 2013

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I'm on ubuntu 12.04 and using the latest version of chromium and for some reason when I tried to access forums.somethingawful.com, I see this weird broken page. http://i.imgur.com/nblzEoj.png, however in incognito mode I see the normal page. Any idea why this is? I tried disabling all my plugins and I get the same issue.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

madkapitolist posted:

I'm on ubuntu 12.04 and using the latest version of chromium and for some reason when I tried to access forums.somethingawful.com, I see this weird broken page. http://i.imgur.com/nblzEoj.png, however in incognito mode I see the normal page. Any idea why this is? I tried disabling all my plugins and I get the same issue.
I see this on different browsers for different sorts of sites when something weird happens with the style sheet. Try clearing the browser cache -- I think it's trying to use a cached bad version.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Ah that did the trick thank you!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
edit: took it to the linux thread

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 15, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm really confused. I have a taskbar shortcut (PyCharm) that stopped working. However, if I run the command that's in the .desktop file, it launches fine. Any idea what's up?

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 20, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

E: oops, sorry for the double-post.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm looking to turn my Ubuntu work machine, which has rad components, into a hybrid work/gaming machine with Windows on it as well. Can I install another HD and boot windows off of that, while keeping my dedicated Ubuntu as a bootable HD?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Yes. I set up a Windows 7 dual boot machine a few months ago, and I found it easiest to install Windows while its hard drive was the only disk in the machine. I then reconnected the Ubuntu drive so that it was earlier in the boot order, ran sudo update-grub, and the OS prober scripts found the Windows install. It was added to the boot loader menu and everything worked perfectly after rebooting.

The Windows installation doesn't know that it isn't the primary disk; GRUB seems to be configured to swap the BIOS drives before executing the Windows bootloader. Windows Disk Management lists the Windows disk as #0. If the Ubuntu drives are removed, the Windows installation is usable without any changes (i.e. don't need to run fixboot or fixmbr or the Windows 7 equivalent that I don't remember offhand).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I also dual boot Windows on my machine for gaming, but I've found myself rebooting into Windows less and less often. I still think it's a good idea to have Windows, but don't shy away from trying to run a game in Linux first (either natively via Steam if you're lucky, or via Wine otherwise) before just automatically rebooting. I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop; an Acer Aspire, model AS5736Z-4016. However, when I boot from the CD into the installer, the screen just goes blank.

Specs:
Intel Pentium processor T4500
Intel GMA 4500M graphics
4GB DDR3 Memory
Attempting to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit

Also I am still a bit of an Ubuntu/Linux newbie.

Edited:

Well, apparently it's something with the built in monitor. I plugged in my desktop monitor and everything shows just fine.

Edited:

It sees the Acer display, but it won't use it. :confused:

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 11, 2013

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I, too, am pretty much an Ubuntu baby, but you may be able to find a way around this with proprietary drivers for your GMA. Maybe the (often crappy) open-source video driver provided with your distro can't support your laptops monitor for whatever reason; you would need to specify a better one manually. Try searching for 'x sever' with the lens/finder thingy.

What I'm telling you may be completely wrong, but I was able to get more functionality with my monitors in doing so. I was also using Xubuntu, though.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Zedicus Mann posted:

I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop; an Acer Aspire, model AS5736Z-4016. However, when I boot from the CD into the installer, the screen just goes blank.

Specs:
Intel Pentium processor T4500
Intel GMA 4500M graphics
4GB DDR3 Memory
Attempting to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit

Also I am still a bit of an Ubuntu/Linux newbie.

Edited:

Well, apparently it's something with the built in monitor. I plugged in my desktop monitor and everything shows just fine.

Edited:

It sees the Acer display, but it won't use it. :confused:

Have you tried using 13.04? Does ubuntu give you an option to choose what type of install you want to do? Or does it just go blank after BIOs?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

b0red posted:

Have you tried using 13.04? Does ubuntu give you an option to choose what type of install you want to do? Or does it just go blank after BIOs?

It blanks after the first CD screen with the options; Try Ubuntu, Install Ubuntu, etc.
13.04 does the same thing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Zedicus Mann posted:

It blanks after the first CD screen with the options; Try Ubuntu, Install Ubuntu, etc.
13.04 does the same thing.

Does it basically go to a black screen as soon as you choose Try or Install? If so, you might be having the same problem I did when I was installing Lubuntu on an old laptop. I think if you select the "Other Options" (which I think is the F6 button) at the "Try/Install" screen, it'll have an option for you to select called "nomodeset" that might solve that issue. I had what sounds like a similar issue to yours when I tried installing Lubuntu 13.04 (though oddly enough not with Lubuntu 12.10, which is what I ended up going with on the old hardware).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I, too, am pretty much an Ubuntu baby, but you may be able to find a way around this with proprietary drivers for your GMA. Maybe the (often crappy) open-source video driver provided with your distro can't support your laptops monitor for whatever reason; you would need to specify a better one manually. Try searching for 'x sever' with the lens/finder thingy.

What I'm telling you may be completely wrong, but I was able to get more functionality with my monitors in doing so. I was also using Xubuntu, though.

Try these fixes:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/229729/ubuntu-12-10-fresh-install-blank-screen-issue-with-gateway-nv7802u-laptop

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Does it basically go to a black screen as soon as you choose Try or Install? If so, you might be having the same problem I did when I was installing Lubuntu on an old laptop. I think if you select the "Other Options" (which I think is the F6 button) at the "Try/Install" screen, it'll have an option for you to select called "nomodeset" that might solve that issue. I had what sounds like a similar issue to yours when I tried installing Lubuntu 13.04 (though oddly enough not with Lubuntu 12.10, which is what I ended up going with on the old hardware).

Well that fixes the display problem. Now how can I return to normal resolution 1366x768

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A friend of mine had asked me to wipe their Gateway LT4004u netbook (Intel Atom 2600/GMA 3600 graphics) and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Starter Edition. Considering the anemic specs the netbook has, I'm debating if installing Ubuntu 12.04 on it would offer better performance. She just uses it for basic web-browsing, but I've been reading that there have been issues with getting video playback to work with GMA3600, but those posts/threads were a couple months/a year or so old. Would that have been fixed by now with a driver update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So it looks like the Ubuntu forums got hacked. If you've made an account there you might want to make sure you haven't used the same password elsewhere.

I didn't get any sort of notification about this from Canonical, so I thought I should spread the news.

• Locked thread