Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let's say the last time I played myst it was so long ago that I don't even remember it really.

Is Myst still worth playing? Is RealMyst the one to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Objectively speaking, I don't think Myst has aged spectacularly well, but if you're specifically interested in it from the perspective of someone with the itch to scribble down clues in a notebook, methodically solving puzzles it certainly still holds that sort of appeal.

realMyst is pretty much the definitive version, unless you have a fascination for the old pre-rendered scenes running through HyperCard. realMyst also exclusively includes a short epilogue area that serves as a sequel hook for Riven. Which you should also buy. It's aged a bit better, and even if it didn't its sheer scope is still extraordinary.

I still wish Ubisoft would/could dig up the rights to Myst III. It was my favorite. :smith:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 11, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

John Murdoch posted:

I still wish Ubisoft would/could dig up the rights to Myst III. It was my favorite. :smith:

I think Myst 3 and 4 are in legal limbo because the publishing rights to the Myst series reverted from Ubisoft to Cyan a couple years ago, but while 1,2, and 5 were made by Cyan, 3 was produced by Presto Studios for Ubisoft, and 4 was produced by Ubisoft internally. So I imagine the rights picture for those is a little more convoluted.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah, that was my point. And with Presto long gone I figure that potentially adds to the complications.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

All this talk about Myst got me thinking of... well, it sounds similar, at least..

Myth! I bet it's stuck in licensing hell, but Myth 1 + 2 are timeless classics, and I just looked and discovered that a major new patch is currently in public beta testing, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXJwsdmtxFE

Great stuff.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

Myth discussion and servers are kept alive at Mariusnet. I pop on sometimes and get wrecked by the regulars and you'd be surprised at how many people still play Myth 2 everyday. This latest patch is pretty amazing with what it adds to the game.

Take 2 currently owns the Myth series and has been approached multiple times about adding it to steam/GOG or outright selling the series but they are pretty stubborn about it. Most likely nothing will happen with Myth until some kickstarter makes a clone.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
While searching around, I found out that apparently the people who made Chaos Overlords are (or, were, they've been at it for like five years now) in the process of making a sequel, and on their Facebook page is this

quote:

An agreement has been reached with GOG.com to distribute the original Chaos Overlords. Hoping that it will be ready to go by the end of the month.

That was on March 6th, I'm kinda curious as to when and if it's really going to happen.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

And hopefully if the Fox Interactive/Monolith stuff gets settled we can see Sanity: Aiken's Artifact. I played the demo to death.

This game was really cool, but you would die a lot in some parts and the load times were horrible.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Frankston posted:

I picked this up on Steam today, what's with the awful hit detection? I'm swinging away at monkeys, zombies, security cameras etc right in front of me and gently caress all happens 90% of the time.

You gotta experiment and figure out the melee arc of the wrench. It hits whatever is in it's horizontal path. It doesn't just hit that one crosshair mark in the middle.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, that was my point. And with Presto long gone I figure that potentially adds to the complications.

Presto has a minimal staff presence still. They're working on a Windows port of Pegasus Prime (the Journeyman Project remake) for GOG, and they recently released the soundtrack to that game on their website. Journeyman Project 2 and 3 are also already on GOG from Presto.

I think the hold-up is that Myst 3 + 4 would require Cyan and Ubisoft to sit down at the table again and hash out an agreement, and I don't think their last contract expired on the best of terms.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm trying to play Strike Commander, and it's a very difficult game to learn. Like, I'm having problems in the first mission when it comes to getting the planes. I just can't seem to read the radar, nor can I seem to actually orient myself to the game world so I can at least move on with the mission. Does anybody have any hints or anything. There just isn't a lot of information out there, like there is for the Wing Commander games.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Dominic White posted:

All this talk about Myst got me thinking of... well, it sounds similar, at least..

Myth! I bet it's stuck in licensing hell, but Myth 1 + 2 are timeless classics, and I just looked and discovered that a major new patch is currently in public beta testing, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXJwsdmtxFE

Great stuff.

There used to be a Myth general thread on SA like 4-5 years ago. Someone should make another. I'd love to play multiplayer again with people who haven't played it much in the past decade that bungie.net has been dead.

Hell, I still have replays from 1997/1998 of Myth 1.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm trying to play Strike Commander, and it's a very difficult game to learn. Like, I'm having problems in the first mission when it comes to getting the planes. I just can't seem to read the radar, nor can I seem to actually orient myself to the game world so I can at least move on with the mission. Does anybody have any hints or anything. There just isn't a lot of information out there, like there is for the Wing Commander games.
First to state the obvious, read the manual. The first half is story fluff but the second half is all the how to play stuff.

Secondly Alt-O ingame will bring up the configuration, and there are a couple options pertaining to the radar. Most importantly is 360 degree Radar Mode, which by defualt it is off.

There are two radar modes, Air-to-Ground, for tracking ground targets, and Air-to-Air, for not so grounded targets. Pressing 'R' will bring them up, which mode depends on your selected weapon. If you want to find airplanes, select your sidewinders, etc. With 360 mode OFF, theradar shows targets in a (roughly, from memory) 100 degree arc in front of you. The bottom of the display is your current location, top of display is maximum radar range.With 360 degree mode ON the center of the display is your present location, and targets are displayed relative to your current heading.

edit
Make sure you are not confusing the radar with the TWI, the small round display in the corner of the hud. That's not meant for tracking. If you want to practice tracking air targets, try selecting Dogfight from the training missions, and put in a number of 747s, set them to rookie, so they pretty much just fly in a straight line forever.

Pressing 'G' will immediately put you in Air-to-Air mode, if you aren't certain what weapons do what. After you've targeted a aircraft 'K' will put you in Single Target Tracking, which will display all sorts of neat numbers like its altitude, speed, heading.

Forgedbow fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 11, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Beat Primordia ... had to look up a guide because I got completely completely stuck on the part in Metropol where you needed to trade something shiny for the crowbar -- totally didn't realise I could disassemble the sensor. As well, I missed getting Crispin to hit on the lampbot.

From not reading the guide, I also missed out on a bunch of endings because I figured out the final code on my own ... it wasn't hard at all, but not getting Primer to do it means you miss out on the decoder item. I think I have a save from close enough so I'll probably go back so I can put this game away permanently. Well worth the $4 anyway.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Thompsons posted:

While searching around, I found out that apparently the people who made Chaos Overlords are (or, were, they've been at it for like five years now) in the process of making a sequel, and on their Facebook page is this

That was on March 6th, I'm kinda curious as to when and if it's really going to happen.

I forgot all about Chaos Overlords, I would love for that game to make a comeback.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

Turn on 360 degree lock while you get the hang of it, and check this out on GOG:
http://www.gog.com/forum/strike_commander/starting_gameplay_tips

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

Beat Primordia ...
Oops. The plot I locked myself out of had nothing to do with Primer -- that part you can solve safely on your own without getting any help. The plot point where I irrecoverably broke one path was much earlier, it depends on how you handle Gamma.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

teethgrinder posted:

Oops. The plot I locked myself out of had nothing to do with Primer -- that part you can solve safely on your own without getting any help. The plot point where I irrecoverably broke one path was much earlier, it depends on how you handle Gamma.

Same here, whoops! :ohdear:

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Yeah, that plot line is crucial and I highly recommend going back and replaying it. In addition to a major extra scene, I think to gives you some dialogue options during the endgame that is very interesting.

If you're going to be replaying, I highly recommend the commentary which was excellent.

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk
So with all the talk (both now and previously) about how Dreamfall is basically good story/bad game, would I likely have more fun just watching a playthrough of it on Youtube rather than actually playing it myself? I know this may sound kind of silly, but I watched like 30 mins of this playthrough here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z89kgAZKaR4 and really enjoyed it. If it's still fun to play and the stealth and combat bits are just a bit clumsy, then fine, but if it's frustrating to play for whatever reason, I guess I might as well just watch the vids on Youtube.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bursk posted:

So with all the talk (both now and previously) about how Dreamfall is basically good story/bad game, would I likely have more fun just watching a playthrough of it on Youtube rather than actually playing it myself? I know this may sound kind of silly, but I watched like 30 mins of this playthrough here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z89kgAZKaR4 and really enjoyed it. If it's still fun to play and the stealth and combat bits are just a bit clumsy, then fine, but if it's frustrating to play for whatever reason, I guess I might as well just watch the vids on Youtube.

I don't think I'd describe any of the combat or stealth sections as hard. What they are are just really out of place, mechanically simple, serve absolutely no purpose other than an attempt at making Dreamfall a "game" in the meaning that most people would apply. At least I didn't think they were hard, but I'm one of those people who get through a lot of parts in game lots of people have trouble with then end up looking like a smug prick when I mention I didn't have many problems at all.

And this is just me, but I can't really get into a game through an LP the same way I can by playing it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, the issue with Dreamfall is that none of the elements (puzzles, combat or sneaking) offers any kind of challenge and therefore the gameplay is pretty much just walking around and talking to everyone. The story isn't anything spectacular but still worth playing/watching and visiting the old places was fun.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 12, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I decided to play Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe edition again after about a year. It loads up windowed mode just fine, I stretch the window out like I normally did and hit new game... Then it switches to Full-Screen, my desktop shortcuts are all jumbled and all my browser windows are resized when I alt-tab out. Alt-Enter doesn't change to windowed mode, and the game always starts out in Fullscreen (and skews other open windows) now.

GOG RCT didn't use to do this to me, same Vista computer as ever. Thoughts? What particular files are the progress data so I can save those if reinstalling is the best option?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

macnbc posted:

I think the hold-up is that Myst 3 + 4 would require Cyan and Ubisoft to sit down at the table again and hash out an agreement, and I don't think their last contract expired on the best of terms.

Do you think it'll eventually be resolved, or do you think it's permanently a lost cause?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Section Z posted:

So I decided to play Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe edition again after about a year. It loads up windowed mode just fine, I stretch the window out like I normally did and hit new game... Then it switches to Full-Screen, my desktop shortcuts are all jumbled and all my browser windows are resized when I alt-tab out. Alt-Enter doesn't change to windowed mode, and the game always starts out in Fullscreen (and skews other open windows) now.

GOG RCT didn't use to do this to me, same Vista computer as ever. Thoughts? What particular files are the progress data so I can save those if reinstalling is the best option?

Mine works just fine. :confused: I'm guessing it's all on your OS acting up.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

scamtank posted:

Maybe it's time to upgrade to Win7?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

scamtank posted:

All fixed, the in game options for video settings were being a bit wonky and not clicking earlier, but I got it to select windowed mode again on the latest try.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
The Night of the Rabbit is available for pre-order on GOG. You also get Deponia for free if you don't already have it.

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk
Decided to go ahead and get Dreamfall. Thanks for the help.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New releases are Anvil of Dawn for $6 and a 3D Leisure Suit Larry game that's so bad that I'm just going to spare your internet history the indignity and not even link it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Kins posted:

New releases are Anvil of Dawn for $6

Holy smokes, this is great news, I love that game! It's very much like Lands of Lore 1, with a dark, competent plot, deliciously varied and interesting areas, well crafted animations and hot drat, this game really has so much going for it. It's non-linear, you can build your character any way you like, everything's voice acted and there are some late Might and Magic-type puzzles in it, usually dealing with pattern recognition and block moving. It's rather long as well, much longer than Lands of Lore, but I'd say that's one of it's few negatives, as the combat doesn't vary much throughout the game. Every zone has different monsters, where all of them have unique attack sequences that you need to learn, but once you've got a zone's monster behaviours down, then it does become a bit of a trudge in the larger dungeons.

Still, for six Dollars this is a steal, although I can't seem to see if this really IS the CD version with full VA or not.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The Kins posted:

a 3D Leisure Suit Larry game that's so bad that I'm just going to spare your internet history the indignity and not even link it.

Haha, that's the one that Proteus LP:d way back to spare the rest of the world. The only funny things I remember about that game were the failure responses in the conversation minigame.

:j:: I'm a country girl, you see!
:wiggle:: WHAT? YOU LYING SACK OF CRAP

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Kins posted:

3D Leisure Suit Larry game that's so bad that I'm just going to spare your internet history the indignity and not even link it.

I love the first Gog reviews calling the game crap and yet giving it 3 stars out of 5.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Holy smokes, this is great news, I love that game! It's very much like Lands of Lore 1, with a dark, competent plot, deliciously varied and interesting areas, well crafted animations and hot drat, this game really has so much going for it. It's non-linear, you can build your character any way you like, everything's voice acted and there are some late Might and Magic-type puzzles in it, usually dealing with pattern recognition and block moving. It's rather long as well, much longer than Lands of Lore, but I'd say that's one of it's few negatives, as the combat doesn't vary much throughout the game. Every zone has different monsters, where all of them have unique attack sequences that you need to learn, but once you've got a zone's monster behaviours down, then it does become a bit of a trudge in the larger dungeons.

Still, for six Dollars this is a steal, although I can't seem to see if this really IS the CD version with full VA or not.

It is 355mb so I say cd version.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Eulisker posted:

It is 355mb so I say cd version.

Excellent. If you're a fan of first person RPGs you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying this one out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Something else about Anvil of Dawn, it was the first fantasy game I remember having a truly diverse cast that had fully acted personalities unlike TES and other RPGs where you create a paper doll to dress up. Any game that lets me play as Grace Jones wearing Uggs is a good game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

al-azad posted:

Something else about Anvil of Dawn, it was the first fantasy game I remember having a truly diverse cast that had fully acted personalities unlike TES and other RPGs where you create a paper doll to dress up. Any game that lets me play as Grace Jones wearing Uggs is a good game.

Also, the people you do NOT pick as your character still have roles to play, as they'll go on the quest on their own. Of course, you're still the star, but I appreciate how they made the world seem that more alive with such a little thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anvil of Dawn seriously looks awesome. Why have I never seen anyone talking about it?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Excellent news about Anvil of Dawn. I've tried from time to time to get an abandonware copy of it going, but I'm DosBox retarded and never know what the hell is going on. I recall really enjoying the game at the time of its release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

The Kins posted:

New releases are Anvil of Dawn for $6 and a 3D Leisure Suit Larry game that's so bad that I'm just going to spare your internet history the indignity and not even link it.

And the funny thing is, that's not even the worst 3D Leisure Suit Larry game. Think about that for a second.

Anvil of Dawn looks far more interesting though, so I'll definitely be checking that out shortly.