Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Just installed Piano passcode and it does exactly what you think. A single octave keyboard goes from C4 to B5 (I believe) where you set a code of 1-7, where 1 is C and 7 is B. You can set any combination you like of only those numbers, don't set a 0 or 8 or it won't unlock.

It's real fun though, and I'm enjoying it, though I'll get sick of it eventually. It's a neat toy though, to show of the capabilities of Jailbreaking in terms of just novelty.

Right now I have 1 2 3 5 6 5 3 2 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Are there any apps/tweaks available that will let you schedule "Do Not Disturb" mode for different times based on what day it is? I have it set later so I don't get woken up on the weekends, but I always end up missing messages in the morning during the week.

The only other annoyance that I run into constantly is that when you search for a text message, clicking on the result takes you to the last message rather than the one you were trying to find. Is there a solution to this other than dumping messages to a computer and searching them?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Over in the Apps thread a poster mentioned a jailbreak tweak that gives the stock Camera.app separate controls for exposure and focus. Does anyone know what that is? Google wasn't very helpful.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

decypher posted:

Over in the Apps thread a poster mentioned a jailbreak tweak that gives the stock Camera.app separate controls for exposure and focus. Does anyone know what that is? Google wasn't very helpful.

It's like Camera+ or something?

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

decypher posted:

Camera Tweak HD.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

cisneros posted:

Camera Tweak HD.

Fabulous, thanks a lot.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Somehow, I screwed up cydia on my iPhone 4S iOS 6.12.

I get this when I run cydia

And I can't see any packages. It just shows nothing. Go to something from the main cydia page and it just says it can't find the package.

Any ideas?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Happened to me a little while back. You have too many (cracked) Cydia repositories added. Delete one or two of them and It'l fix it ;)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Is there any sort of ad blocking software? I don't mean web adverts in Safari, but iAds and other intrusive and annoying poo poo banners an pop ups in apps.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Bummey posted:

Is there any sort of ad blocking software? I don't mean web adverts in Safari, but iAds and other intrusive and annoying poo poo banners an pop ups in apps.

There's tons of stuff that claims to do that on Cydia. No idea what, if any of it, works and doesn't.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Bummey posted:

I think someone posted a method of blocking those ad banners several months ago in this thread, but I'm too lazy to go through the thread :effort:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

There's tons of stuff that claims to do that on Cydia. No idea what, if any of it, works and doesn't.

Well, yeah, that's why I asked. I use firewall IP to block incoming/outgoing connections, and it's fabulous at what it does, but it doesn't remove banner adverts.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bummey posted:

Well, yeah, that's why I asked. I use firewall IP to block incoming/outgoing connections, and it's fabulous at what it does, but it doesn't remove banner adverts.

In what ways are you using Firewall IP? I dabbled with it, but it's not always easy to distinguish which hosts are being used to collect unnecessary data, etc.

I use Little Snitch on my mbp and I'd like to have the same functionality on my phone but it doesn't seem as clear cut.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

In what ways are you using Firewall IP? I dabbled with it, but it's not always easy to distinguish which hosts are being used to collect unnecessary data, etc.

You'll just have to spend some time googling the various hosts before you find out which ones you want to block. Some are simple because they'll have ad or analytics or whatever in the name, others are a bit more obtuse.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Bummey posted:

A poster in the thread has got a modified hosts file so you don't get any adverts in any apps (it'd be pretty cool if that could get posted again because I forgot to save it before updating my iPhone)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Here's a copy of the hosts file posted previously.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 16, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

slomomofo posted:

Here's a copy of the hosts file posted previously.

Cool beans. Thanks! Now, what do I name it and where do I put it?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Cheers slomomofo

Bummey posted:

Cool beans. Thanks! Now, what do I name it and where do I put it?

Name it hosts (with no file extension) and it goes in /etc/ (back up your original hosts file of course)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Make sure it has the same user/group/read/write/execute etc rights, too.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bummey posted:

You'll just have to spend some time googling the various hosts before you find out which ones you want to block. Some are simple because they'll have ad or analytics or whatever in the name, others are a bit more obtuse.

I found a bunch online but the app won't save them after I've manually entered twice now.. care to export your list?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Here's the post I put up a while back with the ad blocking hosts file. Haven't updated it recently, so some ads have slipped through, but it still gets rid of most everything.

ihatepants posted:

Here is my modified hosts file (likely the file that you edited yourself) that blocks the majority of ads in Cydia, Safari iAds and other mobile ads. I've yet to see an ad since modifying it.

Just browse to /etc/ using ifile or ifunbox or ssh and replace your original (after backing it up). Then make sure ownership is set for Owner- root, Group- wheel and access permissions are set to User- read/write/execute, Group- read/execute, World- read/execute.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ihatepants posted:

Here's the post I put up a while back with the ad blocking hosts file. Haven't updated it recently, so some ads have slipped through, but it still gets rid of most everything.

Wait how do I change ownership in iFunbox?

Edit: Nevermind, easier in iFile I guess

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a tweek that will allow me to place my icons on a "grid"? I'm want on a particular page all of my applications on the bottom row only.

Also, there is another cool tweek named "define". It allows you to add a search bar on the notification screen. For some particular reason, I can't get it to find definitions for very simple words anymore. But it was pretty cool while lasted. Does anyone have anything similar to this?

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

obi_ant posted:

Is there a tweek that will allow me to place my icons on a "grid"? I'm want on a particular page all of my applications on the bottom row only.

Gridlock, $4.99 on the Cydia store.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Gridlock, $4.99 on the Cydia store.

Would this work with folderenhancer?

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
It does.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Axis ($0.99) is out and it is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghaz118-RyE

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Never have to use the GV app again! Got Google Voice Extensions for both SMS and Calling working! :woop: (iPhone 5)

I've been checking in on the old dev's G+ page (Zhi Zheng, since has quit working on it), and it looks like someone else finally got it working. Not as simple as downloading something off Cydia, and I haven't seen any actual real instructions on how to do this. So in case no one has been aware of it yet, this is what you need to do:

1) If you don't already have it, get iFile from Cydia ($4.00)
2) If you don't already have it, get PreferenceLoader from Cydia
3) Go here to download the .deb file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59220820/SMSGVExtension.deb
4) Copy/paste the .deb file in iFile to: Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/
5) Tap the file and choose "Installer"
6) Reboot
7) Go to Settings > SMS GV Extension > Fill in your info
8) Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > Fill in your info (password is for Apple ID account)

Now you should be all set to use the Messages app.

To get calling from GV:

1) Get Call on GV from Cydia
2) Settings > Call on GV > Fill in your info (you can set the options to ask you which method you'd like to use to make calls, or just default GV)

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

yamdankee posted:

Never have to use the GV app again! Got Google Voice Extensions for both SMS and Calling working! :woop: (iPhone 5)

I've been checking in on the old dev's G+ page (Zhi Zheng, since has quit working on it), and it looks like someone else finally got it working. Not as simple as downloading something off Cydia, and I haven't seen any actual real instructions on how to do this. So in case no one has been aware of it yet, this is what you need to do:

1) If you don't already have it, get iFile from Cydia ($4.00)
2) If you don't already have it, get PreferenceLoader from Cydia
3) Go here to download the .deb file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59220820/SMSGVExtension.deb
4) Copy/paste the .deb file in iFile to: Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/
5) Tap the file and choose "Installer"
6) Reboot
7) Go to Settings > SMS GV Extension > Fill in your info
8) Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > Fill in your info (password is for Apple ID account)

Now you should be all set to use the Messages app.

To get calling from GV:

1) Get Call on GV from Cydia
2) Settings > Call on GV > Fill in your info (you can set the options to ask you which method you'd like to use to make calls, or just default GV)

Any reason why the SMS extension is not available via Cydia? Is this a beta or something?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Seems like it's beta, yeah. From Google+:

Andrew Chilvers posted:

I wanted this beta testing before releasing to the wild, hence not doing this through Cydia initially.

So yeah, YMMV, but I haven't seen anyone having any real problems with it. I've been using it all day no problem.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I've been really concerned about battery drain recently. I was wondering if anyone knew whether any of these apps caused significant extra drainage.

AdBlocker
AdBlockerNetworks
Auxo
BatteryDoctorPro
BrowserChanger
BytaFont
FullForce for iPhone
iFile
MobileTerminal
Music Controls Pro 6.x
Nitrous
NoDictation
NoSpot
SwipeSelection
Winterboard
Zephyr
3g Unrestrictor

Also, the estimated battery life left that BatteryDoctorPro shows, does anyone know what this is based off of? And how long do you guys usually see reported with a full charge? Mine says 18ish hours with my basic non-battery saving settings. It changes with turning on/off Wifi, Location, Data, and other such things, but not when I uninstall known battery drainers like Intelliscreen. I'm being paranoid at this point, but I really hate feeling like my phone isn't as long lived as it used to be.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I had the same thing going on and I had nitrous installed too. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and my battery life got significantly better. Maybe it's my wishful thinking or it may have a memory leak not real sure but it made me feel better.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hamburlgar posted:

Happened to me a little while back. You have too many (cracked) Cydia repositories added. Delete one or two of them and It'l fix it ;)

I didn't actually have any other repos added besides some of the pretty standard ones (modmyi is the only one that I can remember that I don't think is default.) This all came out of nowhere after a failed refresh on shoddy wifi.

Deleted everything I could though and no luck, but I went and replaced /var/lib/dpkg/status with status-old and it seemed to work out. So, if anyone else runs into this consider that I guess.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Regarding battery drain, it's more or less a myth that the top tweaks like the ones listed significantly influence battery life. Perhaps it was true at one point in time for SOME of the tweaks (and certainly not all), but the devs of the popular tweaks are constantly fixing bugs and optimizing for efficiency.

I would look first towards signal strength issues. On my iPhone 5 I get a horrendous 1-bar LTE / 2-bar 3G signal at my workplace, and I've seen it drain my battery from 75% to 25% in a matter of an hour of use.

Past that, look at your screen brightness and usage patterns. It's well known that full brightness consumes like 2x the energy versus 50% brightness, or something ridiculous like that. Also, look to see what apps you're using, and whether they're processor intensive or using bluetooth/WiFi excessively.

For what it's worth, I have essentially the same tweaks installed, minus AdBlocker, AdBlockerNetworks, BatteryDoctorPro, Music Controls Pro 6.x, and Winterboard. My phone has no trouble tolerating the other tweaks you listed AND getting good battery life, when signal is decent and my phone use is controlled.

On a side note, everyone owes it to themselves to download the official Google Search app, then from Cydia install Activator, Activoice, and Googiri.

Activoice allows you to set Google to open directly to the voice-activated search mode using Activator, and Googiri, which is a new tweak uses Google Search for voice recognition, then shunts that data directly into Siri, if desired. For certain searches it is WAY WAY faster than Siri's voice recognition, and more accurate. You can even use keyphrases like "Hey Google" or "Hey Siri" before your voice search to direct a search specifically into Google Search or Siri, respectively.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008
Does anybody have a repo that I can get a legitimate (paid if it is) version of Swype?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Past that, look at your screen brightness and usage patterns. It's well known that full brightness consumes like 2x the energy versus 50% brightness, or something ridiculous like that. Also, look to see what apps you're using, and whether they're processor intensive or using bluetooth/WiFi excessively.

I think another issue is that nobody really knows how long their phone is supposed to be lasting under moderate-to-heavy issue (which is how most of us actually use it). I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone last longer than 5-6 hours unless you're just using it for phone use.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I think another issue is that nobody really knows how long their phone is supposed to be lasting under moderate-to-heavy issue (which is how most of us actually use it). I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone last longer than 5-6 hours unless you're just using it for phone use.

True. Apps like BatteryDoctorPro (on Cydia) can help with this by showing you estimations of how much phone energy you have left. It can also look at battery use on a per-app level, which can allow you to see which apps are eating more battery.

AmenoSei
Apr 20, 2013

bobfather posted:

True. Apps like BatteryDoctorPro (on Cydia) can help with this by showing you estimations of how much phone energy you have left. It can also look at battery use on a per-app level, which can allow you to see which apps are eating more battery.

My experience on both jailbroken and non-jailbroken devices of several different models over multiple OS versions has been that high screen brightness and the GPS radio are the number 1 energy suckers, regardless of all other considerations. That's not to say other things don't use up battery - your full-screen 3D game will do a number on the battery too, and so will having lots of open network connections - but I've had an iPhone run for 6 hours playing HD video constantly as long as the screen was at minimum brightness. On the other hand, having Google Maps (or anything else that uses Location Services) open will drain the battery at something like 1% every 30-45 seconds with my iPhone 5.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Appreciate the battery talk. After seeing random non-suspect apps turn out to be memory hogs and poorly cobbled together I just wanted to check. Might remove Nitrous since I don't feel like I even notice the things it does, just to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Yeah nitrous seems like a worthless purchase. But whatever it was a buck. Not sure if it has any battery drain issue but it doesn't seem to give any advantage.

• Locked thread