Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I don't suppose I could interest anyone in here the Mk-II part of a Super Gundam kit? Obviously unbuilt, and at a discount. Shipping would probably be cheaper too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sure you don't want to keep it? A spare model you don't care that much about seems ideal for practicing lining/painting/weathering/whatever.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

BlitzBlast posted:

Sure you don't want to keep it? A spare model you don't care that much about seems ideal for practicing lining/painting/weathering/whatever.

I'm already good enough at panel lining, and painting/weathering doesn't interest me one bit. Besides, I just can't afford to buy the same kit twice without recouping at least a little money.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Shizouka Hobby Show 2013 is next week, and the following has been announced:

- A large new MG 1/100.
- New stuff from Unicorn episode 6.
- New stuff from Seed Destiny HD.

(Source)

The MG is probably going to be the Sazabi ver. Ka. Though if it's a ZZ 2.0, I'll... actually be pretty happy I guess.

Also what are the odds of Blast Impulse getting attention? :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

The MG is probably going to be the Sazabi ver. Ka. Though if it's a ZZ 2.0, I'll... actually be pretty happy I guess.

Either one of these would be awesome. A MG ZZ 2.0 (with an optional Full Armor + cannon pack) would probably be the greatest thing though. There haven't been enough giant armored brick MGs released lately, which reminds me that I still need to buy an Ex-S.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd buy an mg saviour in a heartbeat, it's such a cool suit that Athrun did poo poo all with.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Aaaaand now there's a countdown going on at Bandai's website. Clicking on it brings you to a big COMING SOON (with a url of "MG evolution"), and apparently the countdown banner itself is showing the RX-78-2's torso.

...Is that large new MG going to be the RX-78-02? :negative:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Bimmi posted:

Avoid the Kampfer and GP-02. The rest are passable-to-good.
What's wrong with the Kampfer? Mine is just fine.

BlitzBlast posted:

Also what are the odds of Blast Impulse getting attention? :v:
Hopefully either the Blast Impulse or the Slash ZAKU, neither of which got a proper model kit the first time around.

An HG Destroy Gundam would be great too, but I think I'm one of the few people who actually liked it :smith:.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 11, 2013

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's a little early for Origin MGs considering the show is coming out in 2014, isn't it? Maybe its an announcement that they're gonna use the fancy hands and different plastic they did the Nu and the OVA Sinanju/Sinanju Stein in for all MGs from now on or something.

I thought it was a given that the large MG would be the Sazabi ver.Ka to go with the Nu ver.Ka and the anniversary this year. If the anniversary is getting us an MG Geara Doga I'd think we'd get a Sazabi as well.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 11, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So a question to all of you painters out there; about how much paint's in one of these bottles? I can't really get a good grasp of how big those bottles are from the picture, and there's no given amount either. I'm curious because I'm planning to get and paint the MG Blitz soon, so I'm trying to make a supply list.

Also, if I'm reading the old posts in this thread correctly, I have to prime the plastic before I can start painting. I took a look at this page to see what was available, and I have no idea what I'm even supposed to use. I'm going to assume I don't need the Resin or the Metal primer, but why are there three kinds of surfacers? How are those different from the primer surfacer? And what's the base white thing?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

it's about as big as a tamiya paint bottle. Also, if your painting the kits default colors(I am right now) you don't need specific gundam colors, but if there not too expensive, go for it.

if you want to use primer any mr surfacer can do, but I'm just lazy and use tamiya spray primer.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Tamiya paints come in both 10ml and 23ml bottles. I discovered this the unfortunate way when shopping at 2 different local stores.

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

So a question to all of you painters out there; about how much paint's in one of these bottles? I can't really get a good grasp of how big those bottles are from the picture, and there's no given amount either. I'm curious because I'm planning to get and paint the MG Blitz soon, so I'm trying to make a supply list.

Also, if I'm reading the old posts in this thread correctly, I have to prime the plastic before I can start painting. I took a look at this page to see what was available, and I have no idea what I'm even supposed to use. I'm going to assume I don't need the Resin or the Metal primer, but why are there three kinds of surfacers? How are those different from the primer surfacer? And what's the base white thing?

Afaik that bottle of paint is 10ml.

If you're going to use those primers are you going to airbrush them on? If you are you'll have to pick up some thinner otherwise I guess you could try to brush em on but I've never gone that route. The difference between 500/1000/1200 surfacers is the smoothness of the finish, higher = more smooth, and if I remember correctly the only difference between the primer and surfacer is that the primer has more bite but I could be wrong. I would just pick up a spray can of primer if you're going to prime without an airbrush though as its probably a heck of a lot easier. I started with the tamiya grey spray primer myself.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find that vallejo makes really good primers. You can brush them on or airbrush without thinning
http://www.thewarstore.com/cgi-thewarstore/sb/productsearch.cgi?search_field=vallejo%20%20surface%20primer
they come in several colors too. I use the grey or the black if i am doing a high gloss.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bimmi posted:

Avoid the Kampfer and GP-02. The rest are passable-to-good.

The thing about the Kampfer and the GP-02 Master Grades is that at first they both look really awesome, but it turns out the Kampfer is just a piece of crap and the GP-02 isn't very versatile and has a massive stupid flaw in the shield.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also the GP-02's arms are the second-worst designed limbs I have ever put together, second only to one of the Kotobukiya SRW kits whose arms literally tear themselves apart when you try to make it's hand touch it's shoulder.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

boom boom boom posted:

the GP-02 isn't very versatile and has a massive stupid flaw in the shield.

So it's accurate to the original appearance then. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

but it turns out the Kampfer is just a piece of crap

This seems accurate too.

Thanks!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Had some free time to start my Red Frame on the weekend. I love the articulation in the hands once you cut the fingers apart. It can hold a 1/144 head perfectly. It killed a SEED AGE Gundam because apparently they are the worst.

EDIT: Can't get my series wrong, I meant AGE, not SEED.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 14, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ACanofPepsi posted:

It killed a SEED Gundam because apparently they are the worst.
That's clearly an AGE Gundam. However AGE is the worst so np np.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm pretty much done with the Full Armor ZZ (just need to decal up the torso armor), so I decided to do a quick height comparison with the HG. This was (sadly enough) the best of the pictures I took. I should probably find a less cramped (and better lit) place for photos.

I wanted to have the MG rest its hand on the HG's head, but its arm could bend far enough. :( Also screw having it hold the cannon like how people usually do it, that thing makes an awesome over-sized shoulder cannon.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Anyone expecting an MG Sazabi 2.0 at Shizuoka probably should be aware that the rumored "big MG announcement" may be something else entirely.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Here's a site with more pictures.

I'll be disappointed if that is what happens, but not really surprised.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Bimmi posted:

Anyone expecting an MG Sazabi 2.0 at Shizuoka probably should be aware that the rumored "big MG announcement" may be something else entirely.

this is great news I've been waiting years for an MG of the RX-78-2, the last five just didn't do it for me. And those MG 2.0s? Not good enough, I demand better!

I understand they want to launch this new 3.0 thing with their flagship, iconic design, but I think its a really weird choice. Like if they're going for improved engineering or colour seperation or something in this new range, they should pick a suit that can actually show off these features. The RX-78 is really simple, engineering-wise. They should've launched it with the Zeta or the ZZ or something that was really popular but also actually needed a do-over from a model kit standpoint.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

How dumb is it that I'm giving serious thought to getting a case of these?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
What a loving joke. We already have 8 master grade Gundams (original, G3, 1.5, casval, ver. ka, ver. OYW, 2.0, G3 2.0) and 2 more if you count minor part additions (perfect gundam and full armour gundam).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
They should have started this 3.0 line with something that doesn't even have a 2.0, like the Alex, GP0 Gundams, 08 MS Team suits, or even redo the 15 meter suits like Crossbone or Victory. I know the Gundam will forever be the headliner, but there are so many lead suits that are in far more need of a revision than RX-78-2.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

I don't mean to jump down anyone's throat about this, but when we link to AmiAmi, would it be cool if we did so to the English version of their website? It's just .com instead of .jp. English Version of same page.

Also, my only real disappointment (seriously, we're getting the Geara fuckin' Doga this year; I'd be okay if they released TWO RX-78 variants and a Zaku II and still be happy because Geara fuckin' Doga) is that it's the standard RX-78-2 and not The Origin version.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So what? It's just a 1/100 scale real grade RX-78-2?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Y'all are dumb. If the RX-78 isn't the first model in a new line, they won't be able to release a version 2.0!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lostconfused posted:

Supposedly. All we know is that it will be 22 plates worth of parts, and that's a LOT of plates for something as simple as RX-78-2.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

There's a translated version of Bandai's announcement on Gundam Guy. A lot of it is just marketing spiel, but this is the important paragraph:

" Combining an "amazing level of articulation" and "ultimate moving external armor", we will incorporate a "moveable armor system" that surpasses the articulation of the previous Ver 2.0 model. This system will include a feature of allowing armor parts to move along with the inner frame. We have focused on improving the main obstacles to movement in previous models i.e. the shoulder armor etc..., which will now have additional articulation to improve movement greatly."

So it's got much better articulation. Did the 2.0 have any articulation problems? Well in any case kiss goodbye to them, because this robot is gonna be a goddamn yoga master.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Red Bones posted:

So it's got much better articulation. Did the 2.0 have any articulation problems? Well in any case kiss goodbye to them, because this robot is gonna be a goddamn yoga master.

Gundam 2.0 has better articulation than the Gundam did in the actual anime.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Uhh, Movable Frame Technology wasn't used on mobile suits until the Mk. II, Bandai.

:goonsay:

Well, I never did buy the 2.0 and I've got the 1.0 sitting collecting dust in the closet because I'm worried about building a nearly 20 year old Master Grade kit, so I guess I'll look into getting the 3.0. Well played, Bandai. Well played.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mecha Gojira posted:

Well, I never did buy the 2.0 and I've got the 1.0 sitting collecting dust in the closet because I'm worried about building a nearly 20 year old Master Grade kit, so I guess I'll look into getting the 3.0. Well played, Bandai. Well played.

I'm constantly amazed at how you guys can keep track of all the versions that are out there.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ACanofPepsi posted:

I'm constantly amazed at how you guys can keep track of all the versions that are out there.

It's a nerd thing. Stick around long enough and you'll be able to figure it out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ACanofPepsi posted:

You can just check the boxes for the easy solution, but the models themselves do look quite different.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

It's a nerd thing. Stick around long enough and you'll be able to figure it out.

Was it this thread or the regular gundam thread where someone came in and was amazed that we could tell the gundams apart since they all looked really similar? And here we are discussing the multiple different model kits of the exact same suit. This hobby :shobon:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've realized how nuts my love of gunpla and gundam has become when I found out I could distinguish gundams by v-fins alone.

also yay for better shoulder articulation boo its yet another rx-78.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

boom boom boom posted:

How dumb is it that I'm giving serious thought to getting a case of these?

They come with tea kettles. TEA KETTLES. TEA KETTLES LIKE THE ONES FOR HOLDING HOT WATER FOR INSTANT RAMEN

God, that is so Japanese and gunpla and crazy and and :circlefap:

• Locked thread