Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ariza posted:

I am looking for a good documentary about contemporary gang life, specifically made in the last 10 years or so and available outside of YouTube. I realized I'm completely out of touch with the lifestyle nowadays and would like to remedy that. I would like one that is objective and nonpolitical if it exists.

I haven't seen it yet, but "Crips and Bloods: Made in America" is supposed to be really good. Slightly outside your time-frame, and a dramatic interpretation of a non-fiction book, (so not a documentary) but the miniseries "The Corner" is amazing. It's a precursor to "The Wire" but it's a lot more focused on day to day life instead of institutional pressures.

Hell, The Wire, especially the first and third season, probably gives as accurate an account of gang life as anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but "Crips and Bloods: Made in America" is supposed to be really good.

It is honestly one of the best documentaries I have ever seen and really changed my entire perspective on gang life.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
What are some good, recently made samurai movies?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I want some art documentaries, especially ones that are available on Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming, and also especially ones that talk more about the pieces themselves, instead of the history around them or the artist. Painting would be my main focus, I'm trying to get back into photography as a hobby and I want to learn more about how painters used lighting to try and steal some ideas from them.

Ho Chi Mint posted:

What are some good, recently made samurai movies?
13 Samurai and, depending on your definition of recent, Zatoichi (2003 dir. Takeshis Kitano) and Twilight Samurai (2002).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 9, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Skwirl posted:

I want some art documentaries, especially ones that are available on Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming, and also especially ones that talk more about the pieces themselves, instead of the history around them or the artist. Painting would be my main focus, I'm trying to get back into photography as a hobby and I want to learn more about how painters used lighting to try and steal some ideas from them.
Only partially fills your request, but Exit Through The Gift Shop (which is more about the concept of a type of art and art itself than about individual pieces) is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Gets great scores on RT and Metacritic too, and is a goon favorite.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

davey4283 posted:

So I just got the dvd/mail netflix and am looking for some definitive old school kung fu movies. Any suggestions?

I've already queued up master of the flying guillotine.

Just pick through all the Shaw Brothers films Dragon Dynasty has released. Start with Come Drink With Me and then move on to the two 5 Deadly Venoms films and then the 36th Chamber series. Other must see films in the catalog are: 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Heroes of the East, Mad Monkey Kung Fu and My Young Auntie.

There are also a lot of classics not (yet) released by DD like: 18 Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu, Dirty Ho (serious!) Fist of the White Lotus and Kid With the Golden Arm.

From there you can move into the early Sammo Hung/Biao Yuen stuff. My favourites are: Magnificent Butcher, Prodigal Son, Pedicab Driver and Knockabout.

At that point you'll know which directors and actors you like best and continue on.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I've been going through an 80's action movie kick lately, so what are the definitive ones I don't want to miss? For that matter, I'd argue "80's action movie" is a genre, so any post-80's movies that qualify are welcome too.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Viperix posted:

I've been going through an 80's action movie kick lately, so what are the definitive ones I don't want to miss? For that matter, I'd argue "80's action movie" is a genre, so any post-80's movies that qualify are welcome too.

I'll skip all the obvious ones in favor of some that might be a bit more unheralded:

Eastern Condors -- Chinese blend of Dirty Dozen and Commando
Flesh+Blood -- Medieval madness with Rutger Hauer
Extreme Prejudice -- 80's action + rugged Western + Nick Nolte
Death Hunt -- Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin and Apollo Creed running around Northern Canada being badasses!
Salute of the Jugger -- Post-apocalyptic brutality with Rutger Hauer
The Protector -- Jackie Chan in an 80's buddy cop movie with explosions, nudity and cartoonish violence!
Savage Streets -- Linda Blair takes bloody revenge on a gang who raped her sister
Vigilante -- Like Death Wish but with a whole gang of vigilantes
Speaking of which, Death Wish 3 in which Charles Bronson goes all one-man army on a street gang!

Also, anything with Ninjas!

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ I think Commando with Arnold Schwarzenegger is my favorite over the top, cheesy, cliche action movie. It's really great for laughs.

Starscream posted:

Just pick through all the Shaw Brothers films Dragon Dynasty has released. Start with Come Drink With Me and then move on to the two 5 Deadly Venoms films and then the 36th Chamber series. Other must see films in the catalog are: 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Heroes of the East, Mad Monkey Kung Fu and My Young Auntie.

There are also a lot of classics not (yet) released by DD like: 18 Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu, Dirty Ho (serious!) Fist of the White Lotus and Kid With the Golden Arm.

From there you can move into the early Sammo Hung/Biao Yuen stuff. My favourites are: Magnificent Butcher, Prodigal Son, Pedicab Driver and Knockabout.

At that point you'll know which directors and actors you like best and continue on.

Awesome man, thanks a lot!

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 10, 2013

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Any recommendations on where to start with Eric Rohmer?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Looking for movies with characters facing the evils of fundamentalist Christians. The more modern the setting the better.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Jesus Camp.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Seen it. But that's exactly what I'm looking for.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Whatever that Kevin Smith movie is

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

caiman posted:

Looking for movies with characters facing the evils of fundamentalist Christians. The more modern the setting the better.

But I'm a Cheerleader, Saved.

I remember reading about a documentary about "Ex-gay" men and women who got married to straight people, realized they weren't as "ex-gay" as they though and how that tore their families apart. I couldn't find the name of it, but searching led me to these other two documentaries on the ex-gay movement

http://www.exgaywatch.com/wp/2012/11/bbc-gay-to-straight-documentary-exposes-ex-gay-therapy-as-parody-of-itself/

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/05/loveinaction.html

Fake edit: Here's a third one that's available free online

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/chasing_the_devil_inside_the_ex_gay_movement

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

caiman posted:

The Last Exorcism, maybe?

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I'm looking for a really funny comedy. The type of comedy I enjoy are things like Step Brothers, Role Models, I love you man, How High, Our idiot brother, Wanderlust, and Walk Hard. I just saw "The Dictator" and thought it was absolutely hilarious. I like offensive crude comedy but I don't really like "wacky" or "quirky" comedies.

I've looked at some top 50 lists of comedies and I have seen most of them. Is there any good comedies from the past few years that were actually really great but possibly overlooked?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Decided to make today Nicolas Cage day. God, I wish I watched Raising Arizona after Leaving Las Vegas :smith:. Quick, someone give me a Nic Cage movie that will cheer me up!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bowser posted:

Decided to make today Nicolas Cage day. God, I wish I watched Raising Arizona after Leaving Las Vegas :smith:. Quick, someone give me a Nic Cage movie that will cheer me up!

Con-Air, definitely. Also, check out Moonstruck, Face/Off, Matchstick Men, and maybe that one where he's a cop and hits the lottery?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The Rock and Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans are pretty much both peak Cage.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Meowbot posted:

I'm looking for a really funny comedy. The type of comedy I enjoy are things like Step Brothers, Role Models, I love you man, How High, Our idiot brother, Wanderlust, and Walk Hard. I just saw "The Dictator" and thought it was absolutely hilarious. I like offensive crude comedy but I don't really like "wacky" or "quirky" comedies.

I've looked at some top 50 lists of comedies and I have seen most of them. Is there any good comedies from the past few years that were actually really great but possibly overlooked?

Hot Rod
Due Date
The Campaign
Wet Hot American Summer

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Meowbot posted:

I'm looking for a really funny comedy.

I just posted about Grandma's Boy in another thread. I think it's similar in some ways to Step Brothers.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Meowbot posted:

Pineapple Express seems like something you'd like.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Can someone recommend me a 'whodunnit'? Something like an unflappable British detective solving a murder in a stately home type affair. I love that stuff. :3:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

RideTheSpiral posted:

Can someone recommend me a 'whodunnit'? Something like an unflappable British detective solving a murder in a stately home type affair. I love that stuff. :3:

Murder on the Orient Express is fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

Not quite what you're looking for, and not British, but I absolutely love The Thin Man

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

morestuff posted:

Murder on the Orient Express is fun.

Yes, very good! I can't believe I hadn't seen this. Not completely satisfied with the conclusion but that's life.

Skwirl posted:

Not quite what you're looking for, and not British, but I absolutely love The Thin Man

Will give it a shot. Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

RideTheSpiral posted:

Does he have to be British? The Name of the Rose is really cool (well, the book is, and I've heard good things about the movie).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Meowbot posted:

Four Lions remains my favourite modern comedy. It's not crude, but drat it's clever and funny.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

bowser posted:

Drive Angry.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

13 Samurai and, depending on your definition of recent, Zatoichi (2003 dir. Takeshis Kitano) and Twilight Samurai (2002).

This is exactly why I came to this thread. I've recently watched & loved:
  • 13 Assassins
  • Twilight Samurai
  • When The Last Sword Is Drawn
  • Hara Kiri
  • Ichi
And that seems to have exhausted the Netflix store of decent movies in this genre.

Through these movies I am starting to love Japanese cinematography, the drama, plot development, and build up to the last quarter of the movie which is generally lots of killing. If anyone knows of any other movies like this, please list. Thanks!

Stares At Floor fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 18, 2013

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Stares At Floor posted:

This is exactly why I came to this thread. I've recently watched & loved:
  • 13 Assassins
  • Twilight Samurai
  • When The Last Sword Is Drawn
  • Hara Kiri
  • Ichi
And that seems to have exhausted the Netflix store of decent movies in this genre.

Through these movies I am starting to love Japanese cinematography, the drama, plot development, and build up to the last quarter of the movie which is generally lots of killing. If anyone knows of any other movies like this, please list. Thanks!

Do they have to be modern? Because there are a lot of awesome samurai/chambara movies made in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Swim Good
Nov 9, 2012
I would like to watch more movies with a philosophical bent, i.e dark city or groundhog day or tao of steve, preferably a comedy but not necessary. Can anyone help me out?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Harold and Maude, Love and Death, Twelve Monkeys.

Non-comedies:
Synecdoche, New York
Crimes and Misdemeanors (this is maybe a comedy?)
Any Tarkovsky film
Most Kubrick films
Waking Life
Lots of Coen Bros. films (most specifically No Country for Old Men, A Serious Man, and Barton Fink)
THX 1138
My Dinner with Andre
The Seventh Seal and probably lots of other Bergman
Thin Red Line
Total Recall (kind of a comedy)
The Man from Earth
The Swimmer
Blade Runner

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 19, 2013

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Starscream posted:

Do they have to be modern? Because there are a lot of awesome samurai/chambara movies made in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

No not at all. Though the HD cinematography is incredible at times, I enjoyed the plot lines and character development of the few I mentioned quite a bit. The culture intrigues me as well. As long as there is some killing to go along with that, I'm good!

Trainride
Jun 1, 2012
I have taken to watching animated films in English (which is not my first language) with my four-year-old niece. This means the characters and the storyline has to be more or less understandable without her understanding any of the dialogue, and it's an advantage if there is not too much dialogue at all. For instance, we have seen the following films with great success: Finding Nemo, the Ice Age films, Up and The Secret World of Arriety.

Her (and probably my) favourite, however, is The Secret of Kells. So, beyond getting more Pixar and Myazaki films, does anyone have any suggestions like this film?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Trainride posted:

I have taken to watching animated films in English (which is not my first language) with my four-year-old niece. This means the characters and the storyline has to be more or less understandable without her understanding any of the dialogue, and it's an advantage if there is not too much dialogue at all. For instance, we have seen the following films with great success: Finding Nemo, the Ice Age films, Up and The Secret World of Arriety.

Her (and probably my) favourite, however, is The Secret of Kells. So, beyond getting more Pixar and Myazaki films, does anyone have any suggestions like this film?

Wall-E doesn't have much dialogue, and it's awesome,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Trainride posted:

Bambi and Snow White have really easy to understand stories. Fantasia is a series of classical musical pieces with animated sequences and absolutely no dialogue except for the interludes, which is mostly just the conductor of the orchestra introducing the next piece of music.

Bambi ends with his mother being shot by a hunter, it's not graphic in anyway, but it is incredibly sad, so fair warning for when you're watching with your daughter. Some of the bits of Fantasia might be a little intense for a four-year old, but assuming your watching it on DVD you can likely only watch the bits you want. I haven't seen Fantasia 2000, but I'm pretty sure it's similar

Oh, there's also several collections of Loony Toons shorts, those feature some word play, but mostly it's just slapstick comedy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Trainride posted:

The Thief and the Cobbler, maybe? There are a couple different cuts and some of them (the better ones, even) have very little dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Stares At Floor posted:

No not at all. Though the HD cinematography is incredible at times, I enjoyed the plot lines and character development of the few I mentioned quite a bit. The culture intrigues me as well. As long as there is some killing to go along with that, I'm good!

Alright well some modern ones you may have missed: Azumi, Azumi 2 and Aragami are all fun in their own ways, a little lacking in story but featuring some great action.

Backing up to the 70's you have your Lone Wolf and Cub series. Lots of fun, lots of carnage! There are 6 movies in the series, all well worth watching, and there is also Shogun Assassin which is all the juicy bits from the first two LW&C movies.

Some of my favourite samurai/chambara films were made by Hideo Gosha in the 60's. Not very heady, but all briskly paced and full of action and great photography. Look for: Three Outlaw Samurai (recently released by Criterion), Sword of the Beast (out on Criterion), Tenchu! and Goyokin.

You also have a lot of the big budget classics from the 50's and 60's like Hiroshi Inagaki's Musashi Miyamoto trilogy, Masaki Kobayashi's exceptional Harakiri and Samurai Rebellion and Kurosawa's masterpiece Seven Samurai: the grand-daddy of all samurai films.

I also want to give a special shout out to the unrelenting violence and wonderful cinematography that is Okamoto's Sword of Doom. The first movie in a planned trilogy that was unfortunately never finished.

Enjoy!

• Locked thread