Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

With the first pick in the Dispersal Draft, the Cuba Batmen select 1918 Babe Ruth.

As all the fans yawn and chant "BORING", the announcement is made that FairGame is on the clock.

Pick Them:
Detroit Cougars
Sad Pandas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Cougars, Unspecifieds, AND the skyhawks? Man, I'm starting to tread toward that "unexpected oscar nominee just happy to be there" territory.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

New page, new spreadsheet link.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

:siren:St. Louis Self-Congratulators:siren:

Smasher, is it kosher if I do this? If not, then just assume I use my pick on 2000 Barry Bonds.

My team sucks, and a Ser Barrold (Praise be Unto Him) doesn't help me as much as multiple players likely would.

I REALLY want to trade my pick.

What I'd want back:

1.) Another lower 1st-round pick + a #1 starter type
OR
2.) A high 2nd and 3rd round pick + a #2-3 starter type
OR
3.) Whatever mystery thing you've got to offer.

In other words, please don't think I'm neglecting my team. I know I'm on the clock, but I was hoping the championship would be decided by then so that everyone had perfect information on the draft. If I'm not allowed to post to solicit trades/drag my feet, I choose 2000 Bonds. If I don't get an offer I like, I choose 2000 Bonds.

...sorry to be a pest.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

FairGame posted:

:siren:St. Louis Self-Congratulators:siren:

Smasher, is it kosher if I do this? If not, then just assume I use my pick on 2000 Barry Bonds.

My team sucks, and a Ser Barrold (Praise be Unto Him) doesn't help me as much as multiple players likely would.

I REALLY want to trade my pick.

What I'd want back:

1.) Another lower 1st-round pick + a #1 starter type
OR
2.) A high 2nd and 3rd round pick + a #2-3 starter type
OR
3.) Whatever mystery thing you've got to offer.

In other words, please don't think I'm neglecting my team. I know I'm on the clock, but I was hoping the championship would be decided by then so that everyone had perfect information on the draft. If I'm not allowed to post to solicit trades/drag my feet, I choose 2000 Bonds. If I don't get an offer I like, I choose 2000 Bonds.

...sorry to be a pest.

I'll trade my first round dispersal draft pick and '59 Bob Gibson...or another pitcher of mine if you like them better.

e: Scratch that, I'll offer you my first rounder and 1934 Carl Hubbell.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 13, 2013

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Pick 'em! The time is now!
Pick the winner, number of games (for the love of god, don't let this series go seven games), and final score of the final game

Luna Landers @ Rockford Losers, 6 games, 3-2

Also, uh, pandas and skyhawks I suppose.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

FairGame posted:

You could always get Bonds (or whomever) and actually trade him for multiple players.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

You know what? Take both. Take them both. Take Gibson, and Hubbell, and the pick, and just give me Bonds so I can show the world my love for dingers

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Luna Landers @ Rockford Losers, 5 games, 5-2

Skyhawks
and
Unspecifieds

Panda magic is dead!

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
Pick 'em: ETERNITY!
Pick TWO!

Antarctica Unspecifieds
Boston Skyhawks
Detroit Cougars
Sad Pandas

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

mks5000 posted:

Luna Landers @ Rockford Losers, 5 games, 5-2

Skyhawks
and
Unspecifieds

Panda magic is dead!

Thank you!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Screw you guys that didn't pick the Cougars. That is all.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tatankatonk posted:

You know what? Take both. Take them both. Take Gibson, and Hubbell, and the pick, and just give me Bonds so I can show the world my love for dingers

Trade accepted.

I'll take your 1st rounder, Gibson, Hubbell. You can have a Ser Barrold, First of His Name

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

FairGame posted:

Trade accepted.

I'll take your 1st rounder, Gibson, Hubbell. You can have a Ser Barrold, First of His Name

With the second pick in the draft the Akabira Killer Mikes select 2000 Barry Bonds, Outfielder.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Oh, I could make a ton load of Deep Space Nine references here. I mean, since the moment I saw Gardenald's avatar, I've been waiting for the right moment, but, then again, I'll have plenty of opportunities this season.

Owner: gardenald
Home Grounds: Atlanta Fulton County Stadium

Teams Used
1912 Pittsburgh Pirates
1951 St. Louis Cardinals
1978 Boston Red Sox

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
89-74, 1st Place, Already Relegated Division
Defeated Cleveland Commies 4-3 in Semi-Finals
Lost to Web 2.0 Bloggers 3-4 in Finals
Super-League VIII
84-78, 2nd Place, Mark Bellhorn Division
Super-League IX
75-87, 4th Place, Mark Bellhorn Division
Gauntlet VIII
Round 4: 24-16, T-1st Place, Survived
Round 5: 14-26, 4th Place, Relegated

Championship History
2x Television Champions
1x Hardcore Champions

Smasher Dynamo's guide to Science-Fiction Shows that have played on the Syfy (nee Sci-fi) Network

The 4400

Okay, so, follow me on this one. Over the past 50 years or so, 4400 people were abducted by future-men, given super-powers, and then eventually all sent back to the present day, where some of them had been missing for decades. The idea was that the series would balance the soap opera-ish stories of people returning to their lives after being missing for so long with the more mainstream sci-fi story of there being a future conspiracy and super-powers, and evil people from the future who wanted to change the past, and all of that. Sometimes that worked, sometimes it didn't. It was slightly above-average science fiction through and through.

Alien Nation

Science-Fiction has a great tradition of using fantastical elements as unsubtle metaphors for the problems of modern society. Alien Nation took that concept to the limit. The story here is that 250,000 aliens crashed to Earth on their spaceships, and decided to assimilate into American society. And since they crashed on the Pacific coast, they all decided to move to L.A. The show centered around a human detective and his alien partner as they bond and learn that no matter what planet you're from, police procedurals are universal. Also, the show had an episode where the human had to go to class to learn how to gently caress an alien because they don't have compatible genitalia. Amazingly, this show only lasted one season!

Alphas

A wealthy, elderly eccentric recruits a team of super-powered mutants, who are hated and feared by mankind, to fight evil mutants.

And then the Sci-Fi network belatedly realized that it didn't own the television rights to "X-Men", and hastily rebranded everything.

Babylon 5

Watch the amazing story of Captain John "Space-Jesus" Sheridan as he command the titular space station through five ridiculously tumultuous years! Thrill as he attempts to kill a bunch of evil space aliens with a nuclear bomb, only to be killed in the attack, and then be miraculously resurrected! Gasp in shock as, fighting the fascist government of Earth, Sheriden boldly declares his opposition to fascism, and then rallies every alien in the universe to help him defeat said government! Recoil in excitement as John Sheridan is elected president of the galaxy as a result! All this from Joe Michael Straczynski, the man who brought you such other classic stories as, "What if Superman stopped flying and instead just walking around America being condescending to everyone?" and "What if Spider-man had to fight, like, a vampire spider-man?"

Battlestar Galactica

GRIMDARK!

Black Scorpion

This was a story about a superheroine who wore a thong and no pants. Unfortunately, it came out in 2001, by which point anyone who had interest in seeing such things could just go online and find them easily, and not have to suffer through a terrible, awful television show to get it.

Brimstone

A bunch of evil spirits escape from hell, so the devil finds himself a cop that had been sent to hell for murdering the man who raped his wife, and offers to bring him back to life if he recaptures all of the damned souls. The dead cop has nothing better to do, being in hell and all, and so agrees, especially since one of the damned souls is the man who raped his wife and got him sent to hell in the first place. Oh, and all of the evil souls also have magic powers and can only be sent back to hell if they get shot in the eye with a magic gun. How could you not like a show like that?

It ran for one half-season.

Caprica

The prequel to Battlestar Galactica. I don't really care to talk about it any more.

The Chronicle

A story about reporters working for a tabloid, the twist being that all of those stories about aliens and batboys are actually true. Also had an episode about time-traveling members of the Swedish Mafia.

Oh, and the editor at the tabloid was played by Jon Polito, who has been in roughly 10,000 different movies. You probably remember him best as the Italian mob boss from Miller's Crossing.

Earth 2

A bunch of space colonists crash on a mysterious planet where mysterious things happen and mysterious conspiracies plot against them. So, you know, it was basically Lost, except on an alien planet instead of an island. Also, Terry O'Quinn was on both shows.

Actually, I have no idea what this show was like, as it ran for one season when I was still in pre-schooler, and I saw maybe two or three episodes re-run on Scifi about ten years after that.

Earth: Final Conflict

No, wait, let me try that again.

ECW

A story about a heroic underdog named CM Punk who tried to fight the status quo and lost. Badly.

Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict

Earth: Final Conflict was a show about....something. I think I wrote about it in one of the Barons' write-ups way back when. If I recall correctly, it was about aliens who came to Earth and then just kind of dicked around with mankind for a while. I don't think they invaded or anything, or ever even had plans to invade, a few of them just kind of showed up, declared friendship with mankind, and started making evil plots. Or something. You don't need to ever see it.

Eureka

A U.S. Marshal becomes the sheriff of a super-secret town operated by the U.S. Government to house all of its smartest scientists. And, because they're all super-scientists, they have a propensity for getting into all sorts of quasi-scientific troubles.

Every episode had basically the same format: Jack, the sheriff, is wandering around town bemused by what a wacky place it is. Then some experiment goes terribly wrong, and the town/planet is threatening with imminent catastrophe. Jack is confused, not only by the science involved, but also by why this poo poo happens to him every loving week. One of the scientists then gives some hardcore exposition until a technobabble solution is found that, for the most part, involves Jack having to do something super-dangerous to effectuate the plan. He succeeds, the threat is quelled, and the town survives for another week.

The New Fantasy Island

I never saw the original Fantasy Island, having been born several years after it was cancelled, but this show has Malcolm McDowell running a magical island where people's dreams could come true assuming that those dreams could be realized by a limited television budget. For example, a defense attorney dreamed of getting to defend someone who was actually innocent for once, and Malcolm McDowell and pals responded by framing him for murder, and then letting him defend himself, which taught the man a lesson...namely that Malcolm McDowell is not to be trusted.

And friends, that might be the most important lesson there is.

Firefly

I think, at this point, my position on Joss Whedon has been well-established.

First Wave

Or, as it was promoted at the time "Francis Ford Coppola's First Wave", as Coppola was the executive producer. Because of Coppola's involvement, and because Sci-Fi was starved for original content at the time this series was made, they signed the show to a 66-episode contract before it ever premiered...which proved to be an incredibly stupid move, because it was a lovely show.

The high concept was "What if Nostradamus' prophecies were really about an alien invasion?" The answer to that question was, "meh."

Forever Knight

One day, a Canadian had a dream;. He said to himself, "Wouldn't it be something if we had ourselves a show about a centuries-old vampire who decided to become a detective in Toronto, eh? Wouldn't that be just great?"

The only problem, of course, being that to be a credible vampire, one must be menacing, and no Canadian has ever been menacing ever.

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

Kevin Sorbo walks around and punches things that happen to have the same names as creatures and figures from Greek mythology, even if they bear no other resemblance to those myths.

Highlander: The Series

The good news: It's the Highlander!

The bad news: It's not that Highlander, because they couldn't afford Christopher Lambert. So it's just some other guy instead. Also, the premise wears thin somewhere around the second episode.

The Invisible Man

So, the government creates a synthetic gland that allows its user to excrete a compound that will turn them invisible. On the minus side, it's super-poisonous, and if the person the gland is implanted in doesn't receive a "counter-agent" injection every so often, they will go insane and die.

Therefore, for well-thought out reasons that do not need to be explored in any more detail, it is implanted in the ex-con brother of the lead scientist of the project, who is shortly thereafter killed by another invisible man who got a defective gland and was upset about that. The ex-con then gets assigned to work for generic spy agency #111, and is torn between his desire to stop working for the government, and his desire to not die a painful horrible death, as said spy agency controls the counter-agent he needs to live in a thrilling allegory of the coercive power inherent in modern government that controls both our life and can effectively render us invisible should they so choose.

Jake 2.0

A loser tech nerd gets super-spy skills from an accidental injection of nanobots.

So, you know, it's Chuck without the mild comedy.

John Doe

A man wakes up with no memory of his life, but is now the smartest man on Earth and knows everything else. He decides to spend most of his time helping the Seattle Police Department solve crimes because there clearly is no better use for a man who literally knows everything there is to know. Also, there might be an evil organization involved, but that was never cleared up because it was cancelled after one season.

LEXX

Canada and Germany team up to prove that Canada and Germany should not be allowed to work together on anything ever again.

In terms of the show, I have no idea how to describe it. Season 1 had a plot about an evil emperor with a giant, world-destroying spaceship. It gets stolen by a janitor, a nymphomaniac and an undead assassin. They dick around for seven hours' worth of television before getting around to actually finishing the villain off.

Season 2 had them cruising around the "Light Universe", even as a plague of self-replicating machines that they had accidentally unleashed destroyed everything in the universe. Literally. But, when all seems lost...because everything has been lost, they manage to outwit the villain controlling the machines by collapsing the entire universe on him. They then flee to the "Dark Universe".

Season 3 featured the team trapped between two worlds. One of them an endless desert, the other a land of tropical islands. It turns out those are hell and heaven respectively, and, well, that thread never really goes anywhere. The team then blows up heaven and hell because this is Lexx, and that's just how these things go.

Season 4 is the final season, and they finally make it to Earth. Unfortunately, team Lexx is still terrible at everything, and they progressively destroy the planet through a series of misunderstandings that finally culminates in the entire planet just getting blown to bits. The crew survives, though, and decides to find a new planet to chill on. The end.

Now and Again

Okay, strap in. John Goodman is a husband and father who gets hit by a train. Dennis Haysbert, still a couple of years away from being President Palmer, decides to take Goodman's brain, and put it in genetically-engineered super-body that he created that just happens to be 1000 times more attractive than Goodman's original body.

Goodman, though, isn't entirely happy with this arrangement, as he is not allowed to have contact with his family any more, because this is a secret government operation, and they don't exactly want to make their "Project: Ubermensch" public just yet. Also, the powers that be want him to now be a secret government agent because, well, they can't think of anything better to do.

Quantum Leap

Scott Bakula, starring as (Not that) Sam Beckett, creates a time machine that lets him project himself into any person that lived during his own lifespan, because it would be prohibitively expensive to have to set episodes in any time period before the late '50s. Anyway, he gets caught in an accident and starts bouncing around past people's lives, with the vague proviso that if he can "set right what once went wrong", he will jump to the next person, and in time, leap back home. Also, Sam Beckett had about seven hundred doctorates so that no matter what sort of crazy situation he'd be in, he'd already be competent enough to save the day single-handedly.

This might shock you, but this show, starring Scott Bakula, and produced by Donald P. Bellasario, could be a bit bland.

By which I mean it was the blandest thing in sci-fi history.

SeaQuest DSV

By the '90s, Roy Scheider needed money...bad. Fortunately, sweet lady TV was calling, and he was signed as the lead in a new science-fiction show about a super-advanced submarine that just kind of cruised around the sea floor, looking for trouble. It was kind of like Star Trek, except instead of being in space, it was underwater. For the first season, they tried to keep it relatively grounded, with plots that were as realistic as they could do with a show that featured a talking dolphin as part of its cast. But the ratings weren't that great so, for the next season, they took in a different direction...by which I mean the most over-the-top scifi they could think of. Time travel! Ancient curses from Atlantis! Mutant revolts! And, of course, the time the Seaquest had to fight a giant crocodile. The season ended with the Seaquest getting transported to another world, and then getting blown up. Despite the show becoming increasingly incoherent and terrible, NBC nonetheless renewed it for another season.

This pissed Roy Scheider off, and he tried to quit. Unfortunately, Roy Scheider had some contractual obligations to fulfill, and he was literally the only actor of note they had on the show, so the producers had no interest in letting him get away. This dispute was ultimately decided in the only reasonable way: Kosho, the ancient sport developed by Patrick McGoohan in the mid-60s as the perfect physical contest. However, the match proved to be inconclusive, and so Scheider agreed to come back for a few episodes in the third season, which was somehow ever worse than the second season, and proved to be too much for NBC to bear, as the series was cancelled shortly thereafter.

Sliders

By the time Sliders became a Sci-fi series, it was just loving terrible. And I won't waste anymore words on it.

Space: Above and Beyond

T.C. McQueen!

Star Trek: Enterprise

As you guys may or may not know, I've always liked Star Trek more than Star Wars. Now I know that puts me in the minority, as Star Wars has always been considered "cooler" than Star Trek, and, yeah, maybe it is. In my defense, when I was growing up, there were actual new Star Trek episodes and movies coming out while the Star Wars franchise was basically dormant, with Return of the Jedi having been released a few years before I was born. And when new Star Wars movies did come out, well, Jar Jar Binks and all.

Anyway, so I grew up watching Star Trek, from Next Generation to Voyager and, well, by the end of Voyager, I'll admit that the franchise wasn't doing particularly well. So, when the announced Enterprise, I was still optimistic, because, hell, it couldn't get any worse, could it?

Turns out that it could, and did! Scott Bakula projected a bland affability that made him seem like the wimpiest dude ever to be given command of a starship. Jolene Blalock played a Vulcan with breast implants that seemed to compose about 50% of her bodyweight. I guess the thinking was that she'd be eye candy, but, well, plastic surgery has only advanced so far, you know? Also, she couldn't act, not even as an emotionless Vulcan. There was also the country-fried chief engineer, the too-loving-quirky-for-his-own-damned-good alien doctor, and some other characters who combined for about five lines an episode.

And the writing wasn't great either. The first two seasons felt like watered-down versions of earlier Star Trek episodes, and the ratings weren't very good, especially considering how expensive it was to produce. So, for the third season, they changed the focus of the show. An alien race had attacked the Earth, and now it was up to Captain Scott Bakula and his crew to go to their home planet and get revenge! Scott Bakula spent the entire season furrowed his brow extra hard to convey how serious the situation was, but the story arc was pretty loving ridiculous when you consider that the entire premise of this season was that the Enterprise, all by itself, was going to take on an entire alien empire.

For the fourth season, the producers just kind of threw up their hands and decided to do what basically amounted to Star Trek fan-fic for entire season. "Hey, how about a two-parter where we explain why the Klingons looked different in TOS compared to later depictions!" or "Let's bring Brent Spiner back to play the ancestor of the guy who played Data!" or "gently caress it, let's just do a mirror universe episode." These were better-received, but they didn't really move the ratings, and the series got cancelled.

Strange World

Essentially, this was an X-Files/Fringe type of show, which had the disadvantage of premiering just as X-Files' popularity was really starting to wane. It lasted three episodes before getting cancelled, though, when Sci-Fi Network re-ran it, they showed the full thirteen episode run.

The only real notable thing I can remember about the series is that since it was obvious from the get-go that the series was hosed, the producers wrote a stultifyingly depressing finale where the main character's wife got tricked by an evil conspiracy to poisoning the medicine that her husband needed to live. And then he died. The end. The moral of the story: Evil conspiracies always win, I guess.

Stargate SG:1, Atlantis, Universe

Was okay.

Wolf Lake

So this detective's fiance is brutally murdered. So he goes to her home town to find her. But her hometown is mostly populated by werewolves. That's a pretty high concept show, and it didn't last long. By which I mean that it lasted for a grand total of nine episodes, only five of which were actually shown during its first run.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Sorry for the words.

CaptainYesterday, it is your pick.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Captain Yesterday posted:

Whichever one you'd like

I've been trying to work something out, I guess I'll start with 1959 Stan Musial, my second round super draft pick plus 1978 Steve Carlton or 1983 Frank Tanana for your 2nd round pick, Brad Lidge (lol) and George Winter.

Will do this whenever

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 13, 2013

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
CaptainYesterday, I too am interested in trading for your 2nd round pick, though I'm willing to pursue a trade up from the bottom of the round. I have a number of interesting bats at various positions and a surplus of SL-rotation worthy SP. I just thought I'd get that out there.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I've been told that the hierarchy of Star Trek tv shows is TNG > DS9 > TOS (these three can really go in any order, that's just my preference) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VOY (>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>)2 ENT.

Anyway, the Landers are going to win in five and the final game score will be like 16-3.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
I also haven't made a championship pick yet. Let's go Losers in 6, final score 5-2.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I've been trying to work something out, I guess I'll start with 1959 Stan Musial, my second round super draft pick plus 1978 Steve Carlton or 1983 Frank Tanana for your 2nd round pick, Brad Lidge (lol) and George Winter.

Will do this whenever

Just so you know, that Stan the Man is quite, quite old.

I too a interested in your 2md rounder. I'd make a package around 2004 Jimmy Rollins and my 3rd round pick. Alternatively I'd also move Rollins straight up for any third rounder. This deal goes to anyone else in the draft, as well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The Engies take Bill Dickey '38.

Beet posted:

CaptainYesterday, I too am interested in trading for your 2nd round pick, though I'm willing to pursue a trade up from the bottom of the round. I have a number of interesting bats at various positions and a surplus of SL-rotation worthy SP. I just thought I'd get that out there.

I'll swap 2nd round picks for Warren Spahn.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 13, 2013

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

CaptainYesterday posted:

The Engies take Bill Dickey '38.

What in the actual gently caress.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

With the fourth pick, the Carolina Llamas select Albert Pujols (2012)1st base

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

tatankatonk posted:

Hey, it's no George Brett #1

Manifunk Destiny you are on the clock.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

tatankatonk posted:

I'm picking based on what I need, not the best available.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Will do this whenever

I'm afraid this deal may not work, since Beet made a better, and simpler, offer.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 13, 2013

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Oh hey I missed you made an offer. Offer Accepted. The 42nd pick in the draft and 1946 Warren Spahn for the 25th pick in the draft.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Beet posted:

Oh hey I missed you made an offer. Offer Accepted. The 42nd pick in the draft and 1946 Warren Spahn for the 25th pick in the draft.

Trade accepted!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

How is Rookie Warren Spahn a better deal? But seriously, what do you want then?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

CaptainYesterday posted:

Trade accepted!

Son, if you keep making trades like that, I'm gonna beat you like a rented mule.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

How is Rookie Warren Spahn a better deal? But seriously, what do you want then?

He's been putting up good numbers. I needed another good pitcher, and I get an acceptable draft pick out of the deal. As I said when I joined, I'm making things up as I go along. Why do you think I picked Bill Dickey?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Because you didn't let me beat the offer on the table - or sell you gabby hartnett for the first round pick! When you've got bidders let the auction run a bit longer!

You can still back out of the trade btw, let me just model what the 40thish pick is worth so I can counter offer.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Because you didn't let me beat the offer on the table - or sell you gabby hartnett for the first round pick! When you've got bidders let the auction run a bit longer!

You can still back out of the trade btw, let me just model what the 40thish pick is worth so I can counter offer.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm sorry, I'm all new to this Super League business. I don't know the etiquette.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

It's not etiquette, you can do whaever you want, I'm just annoyed you sold out to beet without letting me try and beat the offer. The pick isn't for a while, chum the waters with it.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

I'm sorry, I'm all new to this Super League business. I don't know the etiquette.

Don't worry about the etiquette. Just confirm that you want to make the trade with Beet so that everyone's clear on what's going on.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Upon further review, I rescind the trade acceptance with Beet.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
The amount of articles about the MLB has increased by 100% in Germany due to finally having a dude play in the majors (who might be going down again after all injuries are cured). Now I can witness the almost shocking number of a single article a day.

So, hurray for Donald Lutz I suppose :toot:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hey, I still control the 18th and 24th overall picks and still need SP/1b/2b/3b help (my team is real bad; I picked some bad feeders).

It was super late last night and I needed to go to bed, but I was in negotiation for the 24th pick.

I believe the packages were:

My 24th pick for:
Billy Williams + Steve Carlton (don't remember years; can y'all post please?)

or

My 24th pick for:
Johan Santana + Rafael Palmeiro + Frank Tanana + some utility infielder

I'm leaning toward the second package but I worry that Santana will suck in the Super League. Raffy's a big improvement over Paul Goldschmidt, and Tanana provides insurance in case my rookie Gibson rolls poorly.

The second package gives me an acceptable rotation (Pedro/Hubbell/Sananta/Ford/Gibson) and an adequate lineup everywhere but either 2b or 3b (Elston Howard/Palmeiro/Nomar/Mantle/Edmonds/Maris-Alou platoon, whoever I draft at 18 for 2b or 3b) with some decent subs (baby Vlad, Chuck Finley, Mark Langston). My bullpen would still be a dumpster fire, but whatever. I can abuse my starters or something.

Does this seem like a reasonable return? I feel like it improves me far more than a single draft pick would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

FairGame posted:

Hey, I still control the 18th and 24th overall picks and still need SP/1b/2b/3b help (my team is real bad; I picked some bad feeders).

It was super late last night and I needed to go to bed, but I was in negotiation for the 24th pick.

I believe the packages were:

My 24th pick for:
Billy Williams + Steve Carlton (don't remember years; can y'all post please?)

or

My 24th pick for:
Johan Santana + Rafael Palmeiro + Frank Tanana + some utility infielder

I'm leaning toward the second package but I worry that Santana will suck in the Super League. Raffy's a big improvement over Paul Goldschmidt, and Tanana provides insurance in case my rookie Gibson rolls poorly.

The second package gives me an acceptable rotation (Pedro/Hubbell/Sananta/Ford/Gibson) and an adequate lineup everywhere but either 2b or 3b (Elston Howard/Palmeiro/Nomar/Mantle/Edmonds/Maris-Alou platoon, whoever I draft at 18 for 2b or 3b) with some decent subs (baby Vlad, Chuck Finley, Mark Langston). My bullpen would still be a dumpster fire, but whatever. I can abuse my starters or something.

Does this seem like a reasonable return? I feel like it improves me far more than a single draft pick would.

Billy Williams is 1964 and Steve Carlton is 1978. I can come up with another piece as well - what do you need?

Edit: How about Al Rosen (1953) who went . 278 / .348 with 17 homers for the Krakow Dragons in the EC? Mogul rates him comprably offensively to Ron Santo (Al Rosen has a better batting eye even), but he overall rates lower because he's not as good defensively and is an injury risk, having a Hornsby-esque health score. That's why I use Santo over him, but he's a quality bat.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 13, 2013