Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know 2 of the mission DLCs are started from the main menu, but do they take any of your levels/moves/etc. from single player or are they entirely self contained?

I beat the game on 360 and sold it, but now have it through PS+ so I'm curious if I can just jump in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Nyagato posted:

This game is cool but I can never finish the cop missions because on my Japanese PS3 the button for making a bet and canceling is the same. Why couldn't they go with the PS3 standard scheme instead of hardcoding only some buttons...

There is a way around this, as I too have an Asian PS3 and thought I was screwed. Can't remember what I did, but I googled up a fix to get past that mission. It absolutely was viable though.

Aphrodite posted:

I know 2 of the mission DLCs are started from the main menu, but do they take any of your levels/moves/etc. from single player or are they entirely self contained?

I beat the game on 360 and sold it, but now have it through PS+ so I'm curious if I can just jump in them.

The two story DLC packs accessed from the main menu are entirely self-contained. Nightmare in North Point actually throws some vehicle and outfit unlocks at you as you progress through the missions so you have some toys and pretty princess dress-up available in case you want to do some free-roam action in that file. And as Nightmare in North Point turns everyone in Hong Kong into a possessed demon, there are reasons why you might want to spend some time rescuing them (with punches).

My fiancée saw me playing Sleeping Dogs the other day. She hadn't seen it before. I explain what it is, her not being big on games, and then I walk over to my car and pull a guy out of the trunk. That's how you introduce this game to people. Gold.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How do they handle the fighting moves, then? Do you just have them all, or none at all?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They're mostly unlocked (though some are changed by the costumes you're using in the DLC, like the taser and arrest moves in Year of the Snake.) I don't think you have the last melee skill either.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I just got this for free from PS+, what a cool game. I hope they make another one even if an insane amount of sales was "dissapointing" for them.

Question about the radio: Do you just listen to whatever is on or am I missing something? In missions and such it's usually mission appropriate music but when I get into a random car can I change the music?

Also storyline wise is Cop and Triad kind of 2 seperate stories you can do in any order or do you eventually have to stop one and catch up with the other?

When you get into a random car always change the radio to Ninja Tunes and hope it give you that one Cinematic Orchestra track.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

When you get into a random car always change the radio to Ninja Tunes and hope it give you that one Cinematic Orchestra track.

I think you meant Sagittarius and hope it gives you Eminence Front.

I'd also accept Daptone and "This World (Is Going up in Flames)"

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Nyagato posted:

This game is cool but I can never finish the cop missions because on my Japanese PS3 the button for making a bet and canceling is the same. Why couldn't they go with the PS3 standard scheme instead of hardcoding only some buttons...

I finished every mission in the game on my Japanese PS3 with no issues. You're doing something wrong. Maybe the on-screen prompts are wrong or something, but if so I never noticed. O confirm/X cancel for the whole game. Is your game fully patched?

Thievery posted:

I got Eminence Front on a particular late-game mission where you're rushing somewhere in a boat, and it was possibly the best moment in the game for me. Also it was raining and nighttime. Maybe that's all scripted, but if so then good job to them.

Ara fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 12, 2013

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I always swap to that Habitual Slut track because it is incredibly catchy for something I think was original content.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thievery posted:

I think you mean "Senses Working Overtime". :colbert:

I love every song in the game, except for most of Roadrunner, which is merely "alright". Kerrang imitates GTA4 by having the "indie rock" station not have any bands that indie rock fans actually listen to, but they're still pretty good. Everything on Warp and Ninja is just gold though.

The thing I think this game really did right is making guns actually feel powerful. When you first use a gun - or any time you do - you have this tremendous sense of power, and it's actually loving scary - just like a gun should be. The wedding mission is obviously the pinnacle of this.

It also did "moral ambiguity" better than anything else. In GTA, the criminals you work with (and yourself, as) are almost entirely unsympathetic, Criminal with a Capital C, murderers and psychopaths. Most people you work with in Sleeping Dogs are criminals, yes, but it's more of a life they were born into and they aren't defined entirely by it - they're people you really grow to have affection for and even respect. Which is obviously intentional, but it's cool that they pulled it off so well.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Davincie posted:

I always swap to that Habitual Slut track because it is incredibly catchy for something I think was original content.

The song is actually called "Yellow Fever." Also the lyrics are "you're a habitual flirt." And it is surprisingly catchy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
For those of you that really enjoyed this game, I HIGHLY recommend The Saboteur. It's got a different style, but it also nails that "GTA clone which far surpasses GTA" vibe, plus it's got an amazing setting and a likable protagonist. Just replace melee brawling from this game with parkour and blowing up nazis.

Get it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe Square-Enix will buy the rights to localize Yakuza 5.

I want to believe someone will. The thought of not getting it is really depressing.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Has anyone who has an AMD card, specifically the 7000 series had any issues with the game lately? I swear in the past week or two this game has gone from being insanely smooth no matter what, to crawling if I'm around water or a lot of things going on.

I have a damned 7970 and an i5 2500k at 4.2ghz which until now have been enough to run this thing maxed out.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Fuzz posted:

For those of you that really enjoyed this game, I HIGHLY recommend The Saboteur. It's got a different style, but it also nails that "GTA clone which far surpasses GTA" vibe, plus it's got an amazing setting and a likable protagonist. Just replace melee brawling from this game with parkour and blowing up nazis.

Get it.

Listen to this man. Until Sleeping Dogs came along The Saboteur was my favourite single-player open world game. Tons of parallels with this game. A troubled production, a "mash up" of multiple gameplay elements, a protagonist I gave a poo poo about, decent and capable and well-written female characters (which are as rare as unicorn tears in these kinds of games) and all the open world shenanigans made sense as everything you did was about loving up the occupying Nazi army.

If you like one, chances are you'll like the other. These games are spiritual brothers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'd get in trouble for emptyquoting the Saboteur love, plus they already put it better than me. So, uh...just go out and get it.

Never played the Nightmare in North Point game before. Not Ping is Salty Crab's niece?

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Like hell. You switch to Boosey & Hawkes and hope it gives you that saber dance song so you can pinball your car around the streets of Hong Kong, causing as much collateral damage as possible while you drive like a maniac in the rain.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

XeeD posted:

Like hell. You switch to Boosey & Hawkes and hope it gives you that saber dance song so you can pinball your car around the streets of Hong Kong, causing as much collateral damage as possible while you drive like a maniac in the rain.
Sabre Dance is the perfect soundtrack for the minibus mission. And for everything else, really, but especially that mission.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I was doing one mission, one of the generic "Beat up this guy for being this other guy in a race" missions. I had Eminence Front on in the car. As I got out of the car, it kept playing. Three guys ran at me, trying to gently caress me up, and I casually pulled out the handgun I had, saw them recoil in shock, and shot them all in the head. It was the one moment I will always remember from Sleeping Dogs.

This is why Eminence Front is the best song.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

Listen to this man. Until Sleeping Dogs came along The Saboteur was my favourite single-player open world game. Tons of parallels with this game. A troubled production, a "mash up" of multiple gameplay elements, a protagonist I gave a poo poo about, decent and capable and well-written female characters (which are as rare as unicorn tears in these kinds of games) and all the open world shenanigans made sense as everything you did was about loving up the occupying Nazi army.

If you like one, chances are you'll like the other. These games are spiritual brothers.

If only it was on steam. :smith:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
My favourite radio moment was driving a speedboat into one of those underground gang hideouts. I had a pistol, so I just started firing from the boat, triggering slow motion, and it turned Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins into a tortured scream from the depths of hell as I just butchered everyone. It was life-changing.

But yes, if Emminece Front is on the radio you do not get out of the car, you hit the freeway and cruise until it ends. Always.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Well they closed Pandemic down before the game even came out. There was never a single patch for that game, or a chance of DLC or a sequel. As a swansong though, that game is one hell of a final mark to leave on the world.

That game also used music really well, blowing up some big Nazi installation and driving off to a sweet remix of Nina Simone on the radio was godly. Some of the music was anachronistic, but fit so well that it was totally a right choice.

gently caress, I need to find a PS3 copy of that game so I can play it all over again for trophies.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 13, 2013

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

You can get it on Origin if you feel like dancing with the devil. It was only $4 last month.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Maybe Square-Enix will buy the rights to localize Yakuza 5.

I want to believe someone will. The thought of not getting it is really depressing.

SEGA developed Yakuza. They're not going to license it to a competitor.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For gently caress sake.

I don't have my XBox hooked up to the internet right now, so the internal clock doesn't synchronize, and all my savegames are dated 22/11/2005 13.00+however long I played that session, usually between 14.00 and 15.00. I'd been playing this game since Monday and made a manual save early on, but relied on the autosave otherwise. The manual save was dated something like 14.30. Yesterday evening I played for just under an hour before bed.

You can probably see where this is going.

Just loaded up the game and of course it picked the save with the later timestamp, which wouldn't have been bad in and of itself but what kind of game makes a new autosave right after loading the latest savegame fuuuuuck.

I'd really been getting into it, too. Don't think I can bring myself to replay the entire first part just to get back to where I was just yet, though. Goddamn it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just picked this up via PS+ and I'm loving it so far. It's just the right mix of GTA/Saint's Row and Arkham City.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting Police XP. I drive like a blind gibbon on a meth bender, so my police score on missions is always super-low. Is there another reliable way? I thought doing the drug bust events might do it, but that seems to give Face XP instead.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Drug busts definitely award police XP. You are actually using the TV in your apartment to complete them after hacking the camera, right?

Maxing police XP honestly is pretty easy even if you cause tons of collateral damage during missions; it's triad XP you more or less need to grind (unless you have that one DLC mission/arena, I think).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Face XP is for the thug-fighting portion, the CCTV portion is what awards police XP -- throw on the Face XP-boosting wardrobe items for the thug fights, then switch to your Cop XP-boosting clothes before you do the CCTV portion.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

WhiteHowler posted:

I just picked this up via PS+ and I'm loving it so far. It's just the right mix of GTA/Saint's Row and Arkham City.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting Police XP. I drive like a blind gibbon on a meth bender, so my police score on missions is always super-low. Is there another reliable way? I thought doing the drug bust events might do it, but that seems to give Face XP instead.

You'll get tons of cop XP, only the Triad XP is hard to come by (though several of the DLC packs give missions that help with that). You'll get cop XP for the arrest part of the drug bust, using the camera back at your apartment. You don't have to go back there after each gang fight, you can hack a bunch of cameras and go and do the arrests in your safehouse all at one time. Make a custom outfit that gives you a bonus to police XP (there are several levels available, I think the police inspector outfit gives 15% once you buy all the pieces) and you can change into that, do the busts, then change back into your favorite triad punching suit.

Focus on getting red XP though, you'll max out the Face XP about a third of the way through, and cop XP halfway through. A lot of us finished the game with an unfinished Triad XP bar though. I recommend the Triad Enforcer. DLC pack (2 missions, an outfit and a car) and the Zodiac Tournament (Enter the Dragon on an offshore island) to help out and they are all half price this week.

Efb; I'm slow.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
So I've been playing on PS3. I bought a bunch of DLC on sale, including the ones that give you a sword and an assault rifle in your apartments.

Then tonight I did Year Of The Snake. Now the sword and rifle are gone, and although there's (according to a wiki) supposed to be a tear gas launcher in my apartment I don't see that either - the only weapon I've got in my apartments is the gold .50 cal. Does this commonly happen, and is there anything I can do about it?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Year of the Snake and NiNP are loaded separately from the main game, and are entirely self-contained. You won't get other DLC showing up in it, just in the main file.

Not sure what to tell you about the teargas launcher though, I've not played YotS yet as I'm saving it for a rainy night.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Benly posted:

So I've been playing on PS3. I bought a bunch of DLC on sale, including the ones that give you a sword and an assault rifle in your apartments.

Then tonight I did Year Of The Snake. Now the sword and rifle are gone, and although there's (according to a wiki) supposed to be a tear gas launcher in my apartment I don't see that either - the only weapon I've got in my apartments is the gold .50 cal. Does this commonly happen, and is there anything I can do about it?

I don't think the teargas launcher appears in your apartment until after the mission where you unlock it.

I have fond memories of "The Saboteur" as well. Well, except for that glitchy truck chase mission. But everything else was memorable in good ways.

They did have DLC for "Saboteur" to an extent. There was the Midnight Show which unlocked burlesque shows in the back of the nightclub, a knife-throwing game where you could win a gold pimpmobile, and brothel doors which you could use to hide from the Nazis. There was also a preorder bonus knife for Nazi throat-slitting action.

It's times like these I wish I could draw. Then I could draw Wei Shen and Sean the Saboteur loving poo poo up together in a cross-temporal badass moment.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ara posted:

I got Eminence Front on a particular late-game mission where you're rushing somewhere in a boat, and it was possibly the best moment in the game for me. Also it was raining and nighttime. Maybe that's all scripted, but if so then good job to them.

Hmm, so did I.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Quiet Python posted:

I don't think the teargas launcher appears in your apartment until after the mission where you unlock it.

It didn't unlock until the story was done for me (same with the tactical uniform.)

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Parkingtigers posted:

Year of the Snake and NiNP are loaded separately from the main game, and are entirely self-contained. You won't get other DLC showing up in it, just in the main file.

Not sure what to tell you about the teargas launcher though, I've not played YotS yet as I'm saving it for a rainy night.

quote:

To clarify: I beat Year Of The Snake, got the "Teargas Launcher Available" reward announcement, and am talking about the main story now. I have the uniforms from YotS available in my wardrobe, but the sword and gun that were previously present are gone and the teargas launcher has not appeared.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

Benly posted:

To clarify: I beat Year Of The Snake, got the "Teargas Launcher Available" reward announcement, and am talking about the main story now. I have the uniforms from YotS available in my wardrobe, but the sword and gun that were previously present are gone and the teargas launcher has not appeared.

Equip the tactical uniform and you'll have the teargas launcher in your hands.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Benly posted:

the sword and gun that were previously present are gone and the teargas launcher has not appeared.

There's a weird thing with some of the safehouse weapons that they randomly appear/don't appear in each safehouse. They'll come back eventually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I bought most of the content-based DLC (not that interested in dressing Wei up as Adam Jensen, considering how many outfits are already in the core game I haven't even used yet).

Only started the Zodiac Tournament so far, but holy poo poo, the intro alone was worth the price. If Sleeping Dogs 2 doesn't get made and Yakuza 5 never gets translated, I don't know what I'll do... :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So I picked this up on Steam, and right now every time I start the game, I get as far as the title screen before I push start, the game does the usual 'hey this game autosaves' stuff, and promptly crashes to desktop without so much as an error message. Anyone had similar problems or able to help me out?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So I picked this up on Steam, and right now every time I start the game, I get as far as the title screen before I push start, the game does the usual 'hey this game autosaves' stuff, and promptly crashes to desktop without so much as an error message. Anyone had similar problems or able to help me out?

Create a shortcut to the game in a convenient place, then Right click > Run as Administrator

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Create a shortcut to the game in a convenient place, then Right click > Run as Administrator

On further dicking around, I verified the local cache only for Steam to tell me it hosed up downloading nearly 2 gigs of game. :stare: Once it redownloaded, things worked fine. Working on the High-res textures right now. I assume they're worth it if I'm able to get 60 FPS without them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I got this from PS+ a while back and had a minor question: When I start the game, the Continue Game option is greyed out. I can load the last autosave so it's not a big deal, but why even have Continue Game there if it doesn't work?

• Locked thread