Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Red Bones posted:

It looks more 60s than First Class was. I felt First Class kind of dropped the ball in making the film feel like it was set in the 60s, its a real shame and I hope they do it better in Days of Future Past. It'd make the different time periods in that film better contrasted, too.

Actually one of the few things I really liked was that First Class was set in the Square 60s, which is how the majority of the populace dressed and looked. There wasn't a concentrated effort to stand out because the whole theme was trying to find a harmony between MUTANT PRIDE and being something easy to digest by the average person. This is also consistent with the original 5 and how the X-Men looked and felt until about 1976 or so when Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Wolverine were all introduced.

That said it's good to see they're going with a late 60s/70s hippie motif now, because most if not all of those characters are now coming into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Performance capture tech started with Serkis' Gollum, and was further developed with small cameras attached to a headset for Avatar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ1JzYPjcj0

I believe with Gollum, it wasn't "performance capture" per se, but rather the animators using the live action footage as a rough guide. Similarly, way back on Dragonheart in 1996, the animators had a library of short film clips of Sean Connery in various expressions and moods and used that for reference when animating Draco.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Actually one of the few things I really liked was that First Class was set in the Square 60s, which is how the majority of the populace dressed and looked. There wasn't a concentrated effort to stand out because the whole theme was trying to find a harmony between MUTANT PRIDE and being something easy to digest by the average person. This is also consistent with the original 5 and how the X-Men looked and felt until about 1976 or so when Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Wolverine were all introduced.

That said it's good to see they're going with a late 60s/70s hippie motif now, because most if not all of those characters are now coming into play.
Freaks and Geeks had a pretty great philosophy for their costume design which was that despite the series taking place in the early 1980s, a lot of the characters were wearing fashion which was popular in the late 70s as most people aren't on top of the latest trends. I think First Class did a similar thing as did Mad Men in early seasons where a lot of the characters are dressed based on trends from the 50s, not what was on the cutting edge.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I believe with Gollum, it wasn't "performance capture" per se, but rather the animators using the live action footage as a rough guide. Similarly, way back on Dragonheart in 1996, the animators had a library of short film clips of Sean Connery in various expressions and moods and used that for reference when animating Draco.

This is what I meant, the foundations for what is standard "performance capture" today were laid down with what Weta did with Serkis' performance for Gollum in the Lord of the Rings films. It obviously wasn't as sophisticated then, but the process/technology behind bringing Gollum to life was intricate enough for James Cameron to go "holy poo poo, I can make my Avatar movie finally."

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

mind the walrus posted:

By square 60s do you mean the specific point in time (1962, before the counterculture) or the slice of society shown? Either way I don't think they pulled it off, considering some of the swingin' looks and long male haircuts. The way I see it, the movie should've been either squarer or swinginger. That's just me, though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the director of Amazing Spider-Man 2 Tweeted the first photo of Paul Giamatti as Aleksei Sytsevich (aka The Rhino). He really just looks like some normal dude for the most part.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Paul Giamatti as the Rhino is MAGICAL CASTING and I will not hear differently. :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Not a comic book movie, but a first look at Agents of SHIELD. :buddy:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Oh cool, Avengers level directing on network TV. Glad to see it's back where it belongs.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Didn't that agent guy die in the Avengers, or was it a very similar character who died instead?

I want it to be good because its an interesting idea and it'll be full of funny, obscure marvel heroes and villains, but I have zero faith in Joss Wheadon. I wonder which tiny strong woman he will inevitably cast Summer Glau as.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Red Bones posted:

Didn't that agent guy die in the Avengers, or was it a very similar character who died instead?

I want it to be good because its an interesting idea and it'll be full of funny, obscure marvel heroes and villains, but I have zero faith in Joss Wheadon. I wonder which tiny strong woman he will inevitably cast Summer Glau as.

He got stabbed by Loki and Nick Fury told the rest of the avengers that he died, but looks like he got better.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's really dumb that Coulson is alive.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Dan Didio posted:

It's really dumb that Coulson is alive.

I think its very true to the themes of the marvel universe that they've just arbitrarily brought a dead character back to life because people like them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Red Bones posted:

I think its very true to the themes of the marvel universe that they've just arbitrarily brought a dead character back to life because people like them.

It's also a good way to introduce Life Model Decoys to the MCU.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
As long as they put in some throwaway line about Nick Fury being an rear end in a top hat who ruined his Cap trading cards, I'll be happy.

(Continuity or whatever be damned, I'm one of the people excited for this and Coulson)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Error 404 posted:

As long as they put in some throwaway line about Nick Fury being an rear end in a top hat who ruined his Cap trading cards, I'll be happy.

(Continuity or whatever be damned, I'm one of the people excited for this and Coulson)

I just assumed this is what happened in the movie when I saw it. Nick Fury is always an rear end in a top hat and never tells the truth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My guess is this Coulson is the LMD, but is unaware of it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Life Model Decoys, along with clones, are among several lovely plot devices that I hope never end up in the movies.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Couldn't it just be set before Avengers?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It's not set before Avengers. All they have to do is explain that Coulson's death was faked and he in fact pulled through. Or something like that. Probably worth it to have a good protagonist. Also note Joss Whedon directed and co-wrote the pilot but he will not be the show runner. That will be Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen who worked on Dollhouse.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Some superhero healed him. Possibly a wizard superhero

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Error 404 posted:

They said in the movie that his cards were found in his locker.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, and Fury put blood all over them to make it look like Coulson had them on him when he was stabbed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah, and Fury put blood all over them to make it look like Coulson had them on him when he was stabbed.

I am almost positive Hill said they found his cards when they cleaned out his locker so the ones showed to Cap were diffrent ones.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

bobkatt013 posted:

I am almost positive Hill said they found his cards when they cleaned out his locker so the ones showed to Cap were different ones.

I thought the implication was that Coulson didn't die with the cards on his person and that Fury bloodied the ones from his locker as a prop.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She said "those cards", meaning the ones that Fury had put blood on were the same ones that were found in his locker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

I thought the implication was that Coulson didn't die with the cards on his person and that Fury bloodied the ones from his locker as a prop.

Oh wait I was wrong.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

TheJoker138 posted:

My guess is this Coulson is the LMD, but is unaware of it.

I'd love if at first they gave us a hokey explanation like an LMD or technobabble, and it just ends up that Fury is a lying dick and Coulson just straight up survived.

"If the Hulk finds out you're alive and he was manipulated like that, he is going to smash your rear end so hard."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zzulu posted:

Some superhero healed him. Possibly a wizard superhero

If wizard superheros could heal him then Spider-Man wouldn't have had to make a deal with the devil.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Gyges posted:

If wizard superheros could heal him then Spider-Man wouldn't have had to make a deal with the devil.

Does Sony owning Spiderman for movies carry over onto TV shows as well? Or could we get cameos from everyone on the show?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Turra posted:

Does Sony owning Spiderman for movies carry over onto TV shows as well? Or could we get cameos from everyone on the show?

I think Sony sold television rights to the character back to Disney.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Oh poo poo, I hope that my Redford as Strucker prediction is right. I find the Marvel films pretty boring, but I'm all aboard if this is leading up to a film in which SHIELD turns out to be controlled by HYDRA, Fury has to go underground, and the Avengers have to take on SHIELD.

There had better be a scene where Nick has to break into the Helicarrier. This must be recreated in live action.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HorseRenoir posted:

I think Sony sold television rights to the character back to Disney.

That would be the biggest gently caress you to Sony if Marvel/Disney just puts a live action Spider-Man in their TV show.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Can't wait to see awful low budget webslinging just so I can say "Hey I know that character."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dexo posted:

That would be the biggest gently caress you to Sony if Marvel/Disney just puts a live action Spider-Man in their TV show.

A live action Spider-Man/X-Men block with frequent appearances by the Fantastic Four would be hilarious. All of the freak :science: accidents that happen in Spider-Man are the result of malfunctions in Sony equipment. All Fox media in the X-Men show are cartoonishly evil, like orders of magnitude beyond the real thing.

Anyone who dies in a movie franchise is immediately hired onto the TV show to reprise their role.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So apparently people are getting themselves in a huff again about both Electro and Johnny Storm since they are casting Jamie Foxx as the former and looking to cast Michael B. Jordan (not the basketball player) as the latter.

I will never understand why these people can ignore all of the other changes that they made from the comics to the big screen but get really ugly when they find out that someone who used to be white, will now be played by somebody black. The race usually never contributes to the character of the person. I can understand not wanting a African American to play as the Red Skull for obvious reasons, but there is nothing about Johnny Storm that screams "Must be played by a white guy".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think Taye Diggs could be a super villain or hero. Hell between him or Christoph Waltz you could get a pretty charming Purple Man.

EDIT: I don't know where this really came from but let it just remind people that Taye Diggs is a pretty man. There.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hope there's a running joke about Coulson's mancrush on Captain America in the show.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

blackguy32 posted:

So apparently people are getting themselves in a huff again about both Electro and Johnny Storm since they are casting Jamie Foxx as the former and looking to cast Michael B. Jordan (not the basketball player) as the latter.

I will never understand why these people can ignore all of the other changes that they made from the comics to the big screen but get really ugly when they find out that someone who used to be white, will now be played by somebody black. The race usually never contributes to the character of the person. I can understand not wanting a African American to play as the Red Skull for obvious reasons, but there is nothing about Johnny Storm that screams "Must be played by a white guy".

I think the really funny anger right now is in Jimmy Olsen now being a lady. After all the things that Jimmy Olsen has done and had happen to him in his adventures with his pal Superman, getting mad that now it's Jenny is just hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I can understand not wanting a African American to play as the Red Skull for obvious reasons, but there is nothing about Johnny Storm that screams "Must be played by a white guy".

Yeah, I think its just white people yelling out because for the first time the ethnicity change is on the other foot. Hope he's a good actor though cause Johnny Storm usually comes off as either an rear end in a top hat or an overgrown kid.

Gyges posted:

I think the really funny anger right now is in Jimmy Olsen now being a lady. After all the things that Jimmy Olsen has done and had happen to him in his adventures with his pal Superman, getting mad that now it's Jenny is just hilarious.

He has been a lady before too; both physically and dressing up as one. You know in addition to being a monkey, robot, alien, and ghost amongst whatever weird fetish that month's writer had. Of any comic book character I think Jenny Olsen is the most confident in her having chosen the correct gender/species.

• Locked thread