Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

HulkaMatt posted:

KENTA KOBASHI RETIREMENT MATCH/CEREMONY

How is he going to deliver his daily requirement of chops now?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't really follow Puro, so is Kobashi's retirement recent? I know he'd taken time off to rest after beating cancer in that Loser Leaves Town match, plus aging and injuries and such, did he have a good final run?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I don't really follow Puro, so is Kobashi's retirement recent?

Last night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I don't really follow Puro, so is Kobashi's retirement recent? I know he'd taken time off to rest after beating cancer in that Loser Leaves Town match, plus aging and injuries and such, did he have a good final run?

He's barely been able to wrestle in the last few years due to injury. He announced his retirement during the winter and trained for this one match.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I was gonna make fun of the bags under the dudes eyes, but he's almost 50? He's looking pretty drat good, I think.

edit: laughin' at how the old dudes no-sell the chops and punches. Its great.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 13, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

From the new King of Pro Wrestling set that NJPW was selling at the Kobashi retirement show.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So I take it his Burning Hammer goes down in history as never being kicked out of, yeah?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

So I take it his Burning Hammer goes down in history as never being kicked out of, yeah?

Watch more indie wrestling

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

Kobashi was using the Burning Hammer in Indy Wrestling promotions? :confused:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oatgan posted:

Those weren't/aren't Burning Hammers because no Japanese commentator ever almost passed out from screaming their name :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Memento1979 posted:

Those weren't/aren't Burning Hammers because no Japanese commentator ever almost passed out from screaming their name :colbert:

Also the question was specifically about Kobashi's Burning Hammer, not some off-brand K-Mart imitation.

To get back on track, here's a picture!

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I am vaguely aware of Kobashi. I know he FIGHTING SPIRITUU cancer, I know he chops like a motherfucker. But I'm afraid I just don't know that much about the man. Can anyone give me a summary? I feel like this almost any time one of the big stars of Japan comes up, and it really bums me out how much the language barrier really influences how much I can get into a match.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Whoa, is that Hayabusa? I didn't know he was out of the chair.

And Kobashi is one of those legendary wrestlers that I'm always amazed was still going, like Kawada and Mutoh.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 13, 2013

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

This is wonderful beyond all belief.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:aaa:

This is fantastic :unsmith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

I love this, it should be the basis for a 2000AD cover, or the cover of a graphic novel by someone like Alan Moore.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I... buh... what?!

If it scrolls down further, does it show them standing in a pit of quicksand?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Jerusalem posted:

:aaa:

This is fantastic :unsmith:

Campaign for Regal/Layla as the next Doctor Who/Companion starts here.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

Oh Johnny-san :nyoron:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WeX Majors posted:

I am vaguely aware of Kobashi. I know he FIGHTING SPIRITUU cancer, I know he chops like a motherfucker. But I'm afraid I just don't know that much about the man. Can anyone give me a summary?

GOAT

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

This rules so much

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

WeX Majors posted:

Can anyone give me a summary?
He was a very good and very famous professional wrestler for the last 25 years, then he decided to retire while he's still able to move around a little bit.

The End

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Illinois Smith posted:

He was a very good and very famous professional wrestler for the last 25 years, then he decided to retire while he's still able to move around a little bit.

The End

Oh, and chops. Lots of chops.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

WeX Majors posted:

I am vaguely aware of Kobashi. I know he FIGHTING SPIRITUU cancer, I know he chops like a motherfucker. But I'm afraid I just don't know that much about the man. Can anyone give me a summary? I feel like this almost any time one of the big stars of Japan comes up, and it really bums me out how much the language barrier really influences how much I can get into a match.

I wrote this back when he first announced his retirement. It's basically ten of his signature matches (though he easily has 20-30 sure-fire classics under his belt). Might be a good place to start.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WeX Majors posted:

Lets ask Dave Meltzer and his 5 star matches (I might be missing some, but you get the idea)

quote:

October 19, 1990 Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada & Kenta Kobashi
April 20, 1991 Mitsuharu Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada & Kenta Kobashi vs. Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue & Masanobu Fuchi
May 22, 1992 Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue & Masanobu Fuchi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada & Kenta Kobashi
May 25, 1992 Dan Kroffat & Doug Furnas vs. Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi
July 5, 1992 Masanobu Fuchi & Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi
April 14, 1993 Toshiaki Kawada vs. Kenta Kobashi
July 2, 1993 Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue & Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi & Jun Akiyama
July 29, 1993 Stan Hansen vs. Kenta Kobashi
August 31, 1993 Steve Williams vs. Kenta Kobashi
December 3, 1993 Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi
February 13, 1994 Mitsuharu Misawa, Kenta Kobashi & Giant Baba vs. Masanobu Fuchi, Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue
May 21, 1994 Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue
January 19, 1995 Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada
January 24, 1995 Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue
June 30, 1995 Mitsuharu Misawa, Kenta Kobashi & Satoru Asako vs. Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue & Tamon Honda
October 31 1998 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi
June 11, 1999 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi
October 23, 1999 Kenta Kobashi & Jun Akiyama vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Yoshinari Ogawa
March 1, 2003 Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa
July 10, 2004 Kenta Kobashi vs. Jun Akiyama
October 1, 2005 Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
DOUBLE

STOMP

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Was Kobashi the puro guy who got his nipple clamped by a crab on the beach? I seem to remember it being a big NOAH guy, but don't recall if it was him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

:stare:

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My brain keeps switching from Michael Cole to Alex Riley in this pic.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Can't decide if Sandow or Bryan has the more amazing facial expression there.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Tag team division still going strong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can't decide if Sandow or Bryan has the more amazing facial expression there.
It's definitely THE DAZZLER.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

douchebag.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

I want them to put the ROH title on him so bad just to watch everyone complain about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kifisonfire posted:

I want them to put the ROH title on him so bad just to watch everyone complain about it.

He is doing amazing stuff in ROH. Him getting the belt would not be a problem.