Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Bull Fireman posted:

Still a thing.

Then I'm very very happy I'm Norwegian. Attached image of topside watch in inclement weather. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
In a thread about military idiocy, people are arguing about wearing cammies off base.

I think that we've stared so long into the void....

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

KetTarma posted:

I think that we've stared so long into the void....

We all jumped into the void when we signed the contract.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Veins McGee posted:

I don't recall bringing the Marine Corps into this and I think their stringent 'no utilities off base' thing is silly and a pain in the rear end. That being said, when one is appearing on national TV, representing their service, maybe they should dress up a little bit more than what you wear on a daily basis. I know the decision almost certainly wasn't his so it was probably his retard command, imagine that in the AF. "Hmm we can have some guy look like a slob in this zippered cloth bag or he could wear just about anything else"

And yes, GiP regularly mocks/cringes at dudes wearing their utilities off base outside of working hours or the immediate period before or after.

Who regularly calls them cammies? I associate that, along with "salty," with Marines. Everyone else says "You need to wash your nasty-rear end uniform."

Captain Amerikkka posted:

I'd love to agree with this but I can't loving stand people wearing their uniform off post still to this day. The ghetto mall and the nice mall here are overrun with douchebags in their uniforms. It's embarrassing. If you're going to trawl Hot Topic for 15 year olds at least go home and change first.

I'm behind this, but I regularly stopped off at the store that was just off base instead of driving 15 minutes home, changing, and driving back, or changing loving clothes. That said, I see a difference between hitting a gas station/grocery store (not for the weekly shopping) and cruising the mall or going to a sporting event.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 10, 2013

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

1) Wearing your uniform off post is douchey as gently caress
2) The commissary had terrible prices, bad meat, and bad produce
3) I did use the gas station because honestly who cares

1) Yes, it is, but I'm referring to the guy who is going straight to and from work everyday, 5 min drive to base. Yet is "too cool" to be seen in his uniform.

2) Some commissaries are just loving gross. The old one in San Diego had roaches. And forget anything "fresh" usually. (Unless this is for a command mandatory fun event. Then everything comes from the commissary). But some things WERE priced better than civilian supermarkets. (I always got milk there, was always 10-15% cheaper than out in town.)

3) Leave work during lunch, pass onbase gas station, go off base, 7 miles south to fill up(@ 5 cents a gal more), come back north towards base, go 3 miles north to go to McDonalds (even though there is a McDonalds onbase), come back the 3 miles south to base. Purposely avoiding "giving the Navy anymore of my hard earned dollars, gently caress that poo poo"

EDIT: Change into civvies before and back into uniform after.

Nerdfest X fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 10, 2013

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK

Godholio posted:

Who regularly calls them cammies? I associate that, along with "salty," with Marines. Everyone else says "You need to wash your nasty-rear end uniform."

I'm behind this, but I regularly stopped off at the store that was just off base instead of driving 15 minutes home, changing, and driving back, or changing loving clothes. That said, I see a difference between hitting a gas station/grocery store (not for the weekly shopping) and cruising the mall or going to a sporting event.

Think cammies is a Marine thing, possibly Army as well, I call them cammies and give no gently caress.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Army definitely doesn't call them cammies. They're just called ACUs. And yeah, if you're wearing them to stop by the store real quick on the way home, whatever. But if you're out at the mall wearing them, you're retarded.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I knew a retard (most likely pedophile) nav who wore his flight suit out to TGI Fridays when he went out trawling for pussy.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Picking up groceries on the way home from work? Eating lunch during normal working hours? Sure, why not? gently caress it.

Family dinner night at Golden Corral? W T F

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

MancXVI posted:

Picking up groceries on the way home from work? Eating lunch during normal working hours? Sure, why not? gently caress it.

Ding ding.
Also I never shopped at the commissary or used the on post gad station because it was always jam packed of fat wives and kids with sticky hands who would literally reach into my cart and pull out stuff.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Veins McGee posted:

I don't recall bringing the Marine Corps into this and I think their stringent 'no utilities off base' thing is silly and a pain in the rear end. That being said, when one is appearing on national TV, representing their service, maybe they should dress up a little bit more than what you wear on a daily basis. I know the decision almost certainly wasn't his so it was probably his retard command, imagine that in the AF. "Hmm we can have some guy look like a slob in this zippered cloth bag or he could wear just about anything else"

And yes, GiP regularly mocks/cringes at dudes wearing their utilities off base outside of working hours or the immediate period before or after.

Is this Marine rule thing new? When I lived in Encinitas you'd see dudes out from Pendleton in woodland camo all the time.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

MancXVI posted:

White trash family with 15 yo kid constantly opening/closing a butterfly knife, sporting a rat-nest hairdo, NMCRS T-shirt (apparently ironed with a rock), wearing the most worn out pair of utility pants (the ones you used for linehandling for 2 Westpacs), with the name tape stitching clearly visible on the back, at Old Country Buffet

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

poo poo I only wore my cammies to formations and mandatory command poo poo. Coveralls and civies all day everyday.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
People think I'm weird because I change before going home after drill. I have a 3 hour drive and need to stop for gas and stuff. I think it's a big reserve/NG thing to try and bring as much attention to the fact that you are military as possible.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

People think I'm weird because I change before going home after drill. I have a 3 hour drive and need to stop for gas and stuff. I think it's a big reserve/NG thing to try and bring as much attention to the fact that you are military as possible.

They probably want to be thanked for their service despite never leaving the state of Pennsylvania in their lives except for AT.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

They probably want to be thanked for their service despite never leaving the state of Pennsylvania in their lives except for AT.

To be 100% fair the PA guard HAS done real deployments and lost lots of good men and women. BUT most of the people who did no poo poo Army stuff probably aren't the ones doing it. Also I am in an MI company and my first drill I got to listen to six analysts tell me how they got their CAB/get screwed out of their CAB when a mortar landed hella close to them!

Also at my school the only vets who wear Army stuff are reserve/NG, Marines (100% without fail among the ones I've met) and this one weirdo who likes to come up to me and loudly talk about the Army.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

For me it's just a matter of being a once a month :rolleyes: ordeal, and I normally just go straight home, but there's a gas-station on the way.

That, and if you stick around too long after the duty day is done, you get caught up in some extra bullshit like stacking chairs or some gay poo poo.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

holocaust bloopers posted:

I knew a retard (most likely pedophile) nav who wore his flight suit out to TGI Fridays when he went out trawling for pussy.

Possible pedo aside, did it work? If wearing a flight suit gave me an edge in getting laid I'd definitely do that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I carried over my active duty my habit of not changing into civvies. It's a lot easier to leave early if you're in uniform.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Chewbacca Defense doesn't take his uniform off when he gets home because he's a lazy loving FA(JAG lol) LT. :)

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I never cared about wearing uniforms just to get groceries after work or whatever, and seeing idiots in uniform any other time just annoyed me. What really pissed me the gently caress off was seeing the pogiest of the pogs wearing their god drat PT uniforms throughout the day, or parts of it on the weekends at the mall or some poo poo. Jesus gently caress I hated that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Caconym posted:

Holy poo poo, this was a thing? :stare:

It used to be (and still is, in some cases) that when you pulled into a foreign port or back from a long underway, you would man the rails in your dress uniform. From a mile away it looks really cool to civilians, and raiding a foreign town in your dress uniform can feel pretty cool. The problem being that 'in order to maintain a uniform appearance' you have guys in their Popeye suits with life jackets and harnesses handling lines. It is absolutely impossible to keep the drat dixie cup still on your head or not ruin it if you touch it with hands that aren't pristine clean, either.

I thought the restriction on utilities out in town was dumb, but it was the uniform of a gas station attendant or possibly escaped convict. I thought the restrictions on wearing poopy suits around base were far dumber. Really it all boiled down to working uniforms get dirty and ragged and high ranking O's were terrified their wives would see a crewman picking up groceries with a termalene smear on their shirt and a big tear in the seat of their pants and realize someone in the Navy actually works for a living. Now that the Navy dresses like SEA WARRIORS any restrictions are completely retarded.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Martello posted:

Chewbacca Defense doesn't take his uniform off when he gets home because he's a lazy loving FA(JAG lol) LT. :)

Sometimes I don't take mine off before I sit on the couch. Then I don't move and just sleep there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Possible pedo aside, did it work? If wearing a flight suit gave me an edge in getting laid I'd definitely do that.

He cleaned up alright. Was it the flight suit that helped or tremendously low standards? :iiam:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Less regular chat more topical chat about idiots por favor.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Vasudus posted:

Less regular chat more topical chat about idiots por favor.

Am I allowed to do both by saying I was the idiot that used the on-post gas station because for some reason they were the only pumps that would let me overdraw my deadbeat rear end's debit card for a full tank of gas when I was a private?

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
OK, two short ones from conscript-land in the 90's:

One guy had just barely been accepted into the international peace keeping mission in Yugoslavia and was set to deploy half a year after our conscription was through. He was a deadbeat stoner with piss poor personnel hygiene, and the pay on int duty was far better than anything he had waiting at home. Who knows, he might have gotten a fresh start after deploying, but then he was caught high as a kite on guard duty. By the CO of the company he was deploying with.

Another guy tried to do a wheelie in a Unimog while on base, and almost ran over a squad mate because... Well, Unimogs are made for traction. It was me, and holy poo poo was I yelled at for a LONG time by several people in the chain of command that day. And the next. They almost took away my licence, but I still have it. A couple of weeks later I totaled the truck, through no fault of mine (that they could prove). I was a lovely driver.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I worked with Lt Col Randall (ret).

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57584015/succeeding-as-civilians/?pageNum=3

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

Uh do you seriously wrack up that many injuries from landing planes? How many times did she crash?

Also I found that to be hilarious because officers are always so smug about how much money they're going to make when they get out.

"Oh geez no one wants a fat old bitch with no relevant experience? Well poo poo Sanjay I never woulda thought."

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Uh do you seriously wrack up that many injuries from landing planes? How many times did she crash?

Also I found that to be hilarious because officers are always so smug about how much money they're going to make when they get out.

"Oh geez no one wants a fat old bitch with no relevant experience? Well poo poo Sanjay I never woulda thought."

I'm pretty sure she is the exception to the rule. If you can't turn 20+ years of experience into a marketable resume, you're a retard. Even then, you should be able to fall into some lovely GS.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
Worked with an O-5 that did Electronic Warfare, had a masters in some IT-related field from a legit university, did 25 then got out and currently sells lovely financial products to people on a commission. Word was he whiffed on something like 20 interviews for government positions after he got out and the dude wasn't retarded or weird or anything. I talked to him after I ETSed because I thought he worked for a legit company but I wound up walking out of an "interview" with his regional manager. Later the O-5 called me asking if I wanted to get together and write down everyone I know so we could call them and offer them poo poo-rear end financial services. Long story short you should never bank on your military service meaning anything.

edit: Deleted "not true" because you are more or less right, I just think it's funny when it happens.

Captain Amerikkka fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 13, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Doubtful. There's a major that was still on active duty (last I heard, anyway) with over 10,000 hours on the E-3. Aside from being old as gently caress, he didn't seem to have nearly the health problems that she (legitimately) has. I don't see how they're tied to landings. And yes, she was that size while active. Girl filled out a flight suit, that's for sure.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I don't see how they're tied to landings.

I feel like there's a joke here about AWACS pilots.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've had my share of landings where we bounced, but still...it's not that physically intense.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Worked with an O-5 that did Electronic Warfare, had a masters in some IT-related field from a legit university, did 25 then got out and currently sells lovely financial products to people on a commission. Word was he whiffed on something like 20 interviews for government positions after he got out and the dude wasn't retarded or weird or anything. I talked to him after I ETSed because I thought he worked for a legit company but I wound up walking out of an "interview" with his regional manager. Later the O-5 called me asking if I wanted to get together and write down everyone I know so we could call them and offer them poo poo-rear end financial services. Long story short you should never bank on your military service meaning anything.

edit: Deleted "not true" because you are more or less right, I just think it's funny when it happens.
Sounds like one of those MLM companies that scour Monster.com and email everyone with a resume and a pulse.

"With your engineering background, you'd be perfect for selling our lovely insurance."

vains
May 26, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

Sounds like one of those MLM companies that scour Monster.com and email everyone with a resume and a pulse.

Sounds like any sales job that works on commission. Guy just wanted to sell his lovely financial product to someone.

MLMs want to get you in, so you get people in below you, so everyone can get "RICH OFF RESIDUALS. Just look at these pyramid shaped charts to see how our totally not a pyramid scheme works."

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
Hitting up a bunch of people you know is definitely an MLM-level tactic, but sadly these guys are an actual company. There's a bunch of other companies just like them, I interviewed with a few and as soon as "commission only" was mentioned I said see yah later. That'll teach me to wear a three-piece suit to a job fair, I thought I did pretty good that day. They would have gotten me FINRA certifications for free, but honestly they aren't worth poo poo anyways. The only people who make a big deal about them are morons.

This specific company the guy works for is an ex-military oriented financial services company. According to a buddy of mine that works at Fidelity they mostly push Fidelity products and programs, so there is a legitimate question as to what value they're really adding. And seriously gently caress commission-only jobs. You'd have a higher chance at success in real estate than finance I bet.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

Sounds like any sales job that works on commission. Guy just wanted to sell his lovely financial product to someone.

MLMs want to get you in, so you get people in below you, so everyone can get "RICH OFF RESIDUALS. Just look at these pyramid shaped charts to see how our totally not a pyramid scheme works."

They're not pyramid-shaped charts, they're triangle, there's a difference. :colbert:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

They're not pyramid-shaped charts, they're triangle, there's a difference. :colbert:

Yeah, a pyramid is way more stable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

This specific company the guy works for is an ex-military oriented financial services company.

First Command?

I get calls from friends of friends all the time about switching my banking or insurance or any loans or credit cards over to their company. They're some persistent motherfuckers.