Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Annath posted:

Ah, and where do you get Timesand?

I believe one of Soriara's quests can get you some. But apparently you combine the. Mud fiend entrails from the egg and time sand with the appropriate elemental arm to get elemental golems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

EffEmmEll on PSN, I'm 10/20 and can't stand these NPCs anymore. On 3/4 star stuff in Avalon. Send me a message! (and add me to OP)

EDIT

vvvv Added myself in and joined the channel, thanks!

OxMan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 10, 2013

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I've edited out the big long ugly list of names from the OP, please use the Google Doc that is linked in that location and add yourself for some goontimes. Also join the IRC, much easier to find people immediately.

Edit: Also PSN put up a blog post with some code for DLC spells and a really obnoxious Q&A with Inafune:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/10/soul-sacrifice-a-sacrificial-qa-with-keiji-inafune/

Belzac fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 10, 2013

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

What rear end in a top hat decided to put out time-limited DLC at 9 AM on a weekday? :argh:

Edit: 5 minutes after I post they're working again.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 10, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Yay, I snagged all the codes. Hopefully these spells have a decent amount of casts to them so they're actually useable.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Chalk me up as another person who immediately bought the game after trying out the demo. It's some seriously interesting stuff. I heard it described as Monster Hunter meets Dark Souls once and drat, they're right.

What I love most aside from the gameplay and the general tone of the game is how sorcery is depicted as something entirely opposite of whimsical in nature.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares
I just claimed all four, so get them while you can

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
If I just redeem the codes on my PSN account over the Internet now, but can't access my Vita to actually download the content for a while, would I be able to receive it at any point later, or is the downloading itself in a narrow window? Sorry if this is a stupid question; I've had my Vita for about one day and this is the first game I've gotten for it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

There's no actual downloads, it just flags your account to be able to grab them off the peddler.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Oh, cool. Thanks for the quick response!

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I'm trying to like this game but I feel...well...lost. The monsters can pretty much one shot me, and I have no indication my attacks are doing gently caress all :(

Reive
May 21, 2009

Jut posted:

I'm trying to like this game but I feel...well...lost. The monsters can pretty much one shot me, and I have no indication my attacks are doing gently caress all :(

How far are you, what's your loadout, and what's your sacrifice levels?

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Jut posted:

Do you mean bosses can one shot you? The normal monsters you encounter early on aren't very dangerous at all, no idea if they have particular resistances but that didn't seem to be a problem. Are you using counters to one shot mobs?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Reive posted:

How far are you, what's your loadout, and what's your sacrifice levels?

Just finished the first chapter, the Harpy battle was basically 'get killed, get revived, get killed'.

Levels are 10/4 or something like that

Loadout? Eeer a ice thing that freezes people, a giant arm 'mash triangle' thing, and a fist that pops out of the ground and does electrical damage

quote:

Do you mean bosses can one shot you? The normal monsters you encounter early on aren't very dangerous at all, no idea if they have particular resistances but that didn't seem to be a problem. Are you using counters to one shot mobs?
Yea bosses gently caress me over a treat, when I went online I felt kinda useless and just ended up sacrificing myself out of frustration.
How do you counter mobs? The mechanics are either not clearly explained or I'm a tard; I looked for an instruction manual but there was only a online pass.

Reive
May 21, 2009

The instruction manual is in-game, I'm not sure which menu.
To counter you attack right as the enemy is attacking but before you get hit.
Honestly you have more defense/life (good points raise that while evil raises magic and attack) than I had at that point, so I hate to say it but it seems you're just bad, although you might try a fire weapon as I think the first harpy us vulnerable to that.
Also use your magic eye (down on d-pad) to locate boss weak points and aim for those.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Reive posted:

The instruction manual is in-game, I'm not sure which menu.
To counter you attack right as the enemy is attacking but before you get hit.
Honestly you have more defense/life (good points raise that while evil raises magic and attack) than I had at that point, so I hate to say it but it seems you're just bad, although you might try a fire weapon as I think the first harpy us vulnerable to that.
Also use your magic eye (down on d-pad) to locate boss weak points and aim for those.

Right, yea I'm bad and have no idea what I'm doing. I just beat the slime boss in story mode by cheesing it with mandrake eggs the entire fight and using an ice sword on the cats. I don't know how I would have survived without the eggs which I got from an online fight...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Early on all your spells are kinda lovely. They do low damage and have a low amount of casts, eventually you get stronger versions that are better in every way (faster, hit harder) AND last longer. Check the Fuse menu every once in a while to see if you can make higher tier versions.

The game is a bit obtuse with explaining things. You can counter trash mobs by just hitting them right as they're about to hit you. For bosses, you have to read their tells and dodge at the right time. Usually the first time I fight a boss I spend the beginning of the fight spamming ranged attacks until I figure it out a bit more. Once you know what a monster is doing and when, you can reliable get up in its face and hit it with melee and dodge out at the last second, and use certain attacks to stagger them. If you've ever played Dark Souls or Monster Hunter the combat is more like that than the typical action game, you have to plan your attacks a bit because if you run up and start swinging you'll probably die.

Monsters are all weak to something, most bosses are too but not all of them. If you hit a boss with something it's weak to you'll see an "Archfiend Vulnerability" Message pop up. Those elements do much more damage to that fight. If you hit a guy weak to ice with a lot of ice attacks, you can freeze him (even bosses). You can "freeze" enemies with most elements, a fire weak monster will be covered in flame and wriggle around, a stone weak monster will be petrified and vulnerable to attacks for a while.

Bosses all have weak points. Sometimes you'll see "Cursed Part Destroyed" and blood shooting out. This gives you an opening to attack the monster while it's stunned, and also gives you extra spells at the end of the mission.

Personally I've been going more Dark than Divine and loading up on a bunch of sigils that increase attack. So my main sigil increases Attack of all spells, a sub one will increase attack of the Egg mortars, another one increases Stone attacks and another Fire attacks. That way I'll be firing off Stone and Fire eggs that do massive amounts of damage and ending fights pretty quickly. With Divine you'll have to ask around, I've seen people saying it's actually the better path to take but I'm not sure how you build it, apparently the Blood type attacks are really good for Divine since you can heal it up, and you deal a lot of damage without having to stop and attack.

Also eggs have friendly fire so if you use this build online people will hate you.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Thanks, I managed to kill the angel with the dandelion seeds on her wings at the end of chapter 2 just by spamming eggs again, then got my rear end handed to me by a cyclops. Now on 10/6 running fire, posion, lighting eggs and some lovely low level spells :/ This is tough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jut posted:

Thanks, I managed to kill the angel with the dandelion seeds on her wings at the end of chapter 2 just by spamming eggs again, then got my rear end handed to me by a cyclops. Now on 10/6 running fire, posion, lighting eggs and some lovely low level spells :/ This is tough.

Try doing some of the Avalon Pacts, they're optional missions that should be giving you more stuff to work with. Some of them give an item that straight up upgrades (S) level spells to (M) so you can start fusing some of the better stuff. You also get a lot of stuff that you might not necessarily use but that fuses into better stuff.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Try doing some of the Avalon Pacts, they're optional missions that should be giving you more stuff to work with. Some of them give an item that straight up upgrades (S) level spells to (M) so you can start fusing some of the better stuff. You also get a lot of stuff that you might not necessarily use but that fuses into better stuff.

Ahh didn't know they existed so will work through them now since when the cyclops turns into a mole I get hosed.

Is there any advantage to not saving the big monsters? Getting an ally seems like the best choice each time no?

Just had an ally sacrifice me instead of heal me:( bugger!

Jut fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 12, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sometimes sacrificing and saving unlocks different missions or story things later on. You can always go back and change your choice though.

And getting an ally is better than sacrificing, yeah, but sometimes you want to sacrifice to boost Magic instead of Life. You also unlock different sigils to equip if you sacrifice or save stuff. If you see a sigil requires like, 1 Cyclops SE and 1 Cyclops LE, that means you have to sacrifice a cyclops once and save it once.

Also if you have allies with Dark Arm they'll sometimes sacrifice even if you ask them to save you. They'll also always try to sacrifice after a kill and might leave you if you don't agree with them (this works the other way with Divine Arm allies).

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Jut posted:

Ahh didn't know they existed so will work through them now since when the cyclops turns into a mole I get hosed.

Roll to the side or diagonal to dodge the underground attacks.

edit: better answer above.

Keep trying, the cyclops gave me a hard time at first due to his size. Eventually you'll figure it out.

Pierce fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 12, 2013

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Sometimes sacrificing and saving unlocks different missions or story things later on. You can always go back and change your choice though.

And getting an ally is better than sacrificing, yeah, but sometimes you want to sacrifice to boost Magic instead of Life. You also unlock different sigils to equip if you sacrifice or save stuff. If you see a sigil requires like, 1 Cyclops SE and 1 Cyclops LE, that means you have to sacrifice a cyclops once and save it once.

Also if you have allies with Dark Arm they'll sometimes sacrifice even if you ask them to save you. They'll also always try to sacrifice after a kill and might leave you if you don't agree with them (this works the other way with Divine Arm allies).

Yea I had my divine arm girl leave me because of that. I guess I should take neutral or just people who align with what I will be doing.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
If that is the cyclops battle with Magusar then yeah gently caress that since all Magusar does is stand around like an idiot with shield up (just like every npc sorcerer who gets shield).

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

mirarant posted:

If that is the cyclops battle with Magusar then yeah gently caress that since all Magusar does is stand around like an idiot with shield up (just like every npc sorcerer who gets shield).

I prefer the shield guys to the explosive or rising fuckers. Magusar gets better when he's maxed out.

Sidenote: the invite feature online is pretty awesome.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Question: is there some kind of list or guide that says how to unlock all of the outfits and colors?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Ok, not the perfect game, but pretty good. The Vita needs more of these kind of titles - original IPs, not scaled back versions of console IPs. Hope Sony have some good stuff (Patapon 4 please! lined up.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jut posted:

Ok, not the perfect game, but pretty good. The Vita needs more of these kind of titles - original IPs, not scaled back versions of console IPs. Hope Sony have some good stuff (Patapon 4 please! lined up.)

Yeah I would be a lot more critical of this game if it was a PS3 game. As it is there's nothing like it on the Vita and it's a nice first step forward for a new IP. I'm enjoying it a lot and it's not perfect but I definitely think it's better than the 77 or whatever it has on Metacritic.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Is there a goon list of peeps to play with? Now that I have a few (M) and (L) spells I feel like I'm doing much better and not so much a liability.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

One thing I've learned: trying to go pure Dark as far as levels go is really challenging. I do some rather nice damage to enemies, and that's great and all. Only problem is that I crumble once a slime starts raining goop everywhere or the centaur does a projectile rain (or something else like that).

God help me if I decide to use Infernus and I don't finish off an Archfiend, and I screw up dodging.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

XavierGenisi posted:

One thing I've learned: trying to go pure Dark as far as levels go is really challenging. I do some rather nice damage to enemies, and that's great and all. Only problem is that I crumble once a slime starts raining goop everywhere or the centaur does a projectile rain (or something else like that).

God help me if I decide to use Infernus and I don't finish off an Archfiend, and I screw up dodging.

Use armor amulets if you find it's an issue. There is no real reward for speccing divine other than the cosmetic appeal.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

XavierGenisi posted:

This is my one big gripe with the game. I went full on dark because I like blowing stuff up and figured I could learn boss attack patterns well enough to dodge attacks and not die.

Unfortunately a bunch of the bosses have nigh-impossible to avoid attacks so I end up spending way too much time running away to heal :sigh:

Some bosses, like Cyclops, I can beat while taking 0 damage because their attacks are totally telegraphed and avoidable, but the goddamned slimes and centaurs, like you mentioned, give me a hell of a time.

e: Armor spells have helped but I still think some of that stuff is kind of bullshit. I guess I could focus more on ranged magic but gently caress that I want to punch stuff with giant fists goddamnit :colbert:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Sometimes you have to learn how to just stay the gently caress away for a while. Like the one elven queen attack where she just chases you for a full 30 seconds.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

DrManiac posted:

Sometimes you have to learn how to just stay the gently caress away for a while. Like the one elven queen attack where she just chases you for a full 30 seconds.

Stuff like that I have no problem with because she has a clear tell for when she's starting it. But with the slimes they seem to constantly be making GBS threads goop everywhere and if there's an indicator they're doing it I can't really tell because the only thing on my screen is their leg. And the centaur is just constantly running off and doing that massive arrow barrage or carpeting the whole area with bombs and generally being a colossal pain to melee.

It would be fine if a few bosses were friendlier to ranged focused builds but at the point I'm at it's most of them. It's just a bummer coming off games like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter where being focused and aware of the boss's movements make melee combat fun and powerful.

e: For the record I'm still loving the game. It's just a preference thing.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 13, 2013

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Switch to a few sets of arrows for slimes and centaurs. That usually lets me take them down without damage.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I use mortars for slimes and it's pretty effective. And I've been farming a lot of slimes to buff the amount of casts I get from the healing item they drop.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I just realized that goblins are basically magical Rat kings

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

DrManiac posted:

The elven queen's charge can be countered with a shield. Generally if you stay behind the slimes you can handle their AoE, they only go nuts if you let them eat an ogre or something (you'll actually see their tongue-tentacle pick up the ogre and eat it). I've been playing Melee-heavy which works really well as you get better at telling when it's actually safe to attack, and taking advantage of status-hell on the bosses. The only boss I'd say is truly unfair/punishing to melee is Centaur, because he just charges around and it's tough to get infront of him with a shield. When I go ranged-heavy I end up having issues running out of offering power, but when I'm melee I can always sacrifice for even a single cast and get some real combos off.

Seriously though, if you're playing coordinated with friends things get a bit ridiculous. Press start to skip the boss's summoning animation, use that time to turn yourself into a golem and have your friend summon up their own golem. Unless it's elven queen or one of the other bosses that loves dodging around (Wyvern I'm looking at you) you'll get to facetank the boss for a good while, taking no damage at all. Someone else recommended the stone armor with melee, and that's also a great suggestion since it makes you immune to knockdowns.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
For the "nigh-impossible to avoid" attacks remember that there is a whole category of spells of the Evasion type. I think the Wyvern break off is the best. It has a riduclous duration and 3 or 4 times the number invincibility frames as the normal dodge.

Jut posted:

Is there a goon list of peeps to play with? Now that I have a few (M) and (L) spells I feel like I'm doing much better and not so much a liability.

Check the op, there's a link to a list of goons. You can add in your own info to it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Belzac posted:

For the "nigh-impossible to avoid" attacks remember that there is a whole category of spells of the Evasion type. I think the Wyvern break off is the best. It has a riduclous duration and 3 or 4 times the number invincibility frames as the normal dodge.

Huh, I actually did forget about those. I also didn't realize their effect was so pronounced.

Do they stack with armor spells or can you only have one of them on at once?

• Locked thread