Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kalli posted:

I think the needed tons of work to adapt to the NFL combined with ending up on two teams in utter turmoil / trainwreck situations kinda answers that.

Basically. I was doing a game-by-game analysis and exploring the rest of the roster but what it really boils down to is he got shoved into a starting role for the last three games of his rookie season and looked decent enough to where his coach pulled Kyle Orton and shoved Tebow out there at 1-4, and Tebow responded by transubstantiating 7 wins, which kind of ruined his chances of being able to take it slow until he was ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Extra credit for use of "transubstantiation", A- post.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah, that was pretty cromulent. Nice job.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Goons making up poo poo to make tebow seem like an rear end in a top hat yup its the offseason alright
speculation brah

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just a reminder that Rick Reilly gets paid handsomely for this

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9261432/jets-view-stanza

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

god that's horrible

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Not much of a group
But Rex says: "Compete!"
(This will be less fun
than looking at feet)

lol

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
It must be hard to
write five syllables
please ESPN
give me some money

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
And here's Spencer Hall with a must-read piece on why NFL media coverage is so bad across the board:

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/13/4326266/why-does-the-nfl-make-for-such-bad-media

I miss Dr. Z :(

Benne fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 13, 2013

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It truly is amazing to me that Gruden is sitting in a dingy strip mall somewhere watching tape for 14 hours a day to explain to television viewers that "that guy, right there, that guy's a football player."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

R.D. Mangles posted:

It truly is amazing to me that Gruden is sitting in a dingy strip mall somewhere watching tape for 14 hours a day to explain to television viewers that "that guy, right there, that guy's a football player."

Have you ever listened to someone who is so smart they sounds insane and or stupid? I think Gruden is suffering from some weird information overload so that he spits out gibberish instead of the million thoughts he just processed. Plus American football viewers are stupid.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Benne posted:

Just a reminder that Rick Reilly gets paid handsomely for this

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9261432/jets-view-stanza

I love this because it produced this http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/13/4327352/rick-reilly-jets-tim-tebow-poem which in turn I love because I never thought I'd see the day someone referred to Childhood's End in a sports column.

There I removed that comma that it decided was part of the URL for some reason and now the grammar is all messed up and I'll always be upset because of it.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 14, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Looks like whatever you linked to has already been yoinked

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Take the comma off the end, internet noob

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

shutup ham, your link doesn't even do anything when I click on it.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Change Ham's name to Internet Noob

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Sash! posted:

I love this because it produced this http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/13/4327352/rick-reilly-jets-tim-tebow-poem which in turn I love because I never thought I'd see the day someone referred to Childhood's End in a sports column.

Kind of interesting that a writer for a terrible genre (sports journalism) picks what is arguably Arthur C. Clarke's weakest (and certainly his most self-indulgent) work to reference. Not quite Salinger or Kurzweil levels of I-think-you-typed-this-with-one-hand, but close to it.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
So how long until a goon-run football site gets started and then quickly flames out

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Isn't KSK that?

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I'm sorry, I meant a funny one

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Big Bob Pataki posted:

So how long until a goon-run football site gets started and then quickly flames out

It already happens, sometimes dozens of times a day. The goon creative drive and subsequent lack of execution is unmatched.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Big Bob Pataki posted:

:colbert:

Edit: Also FJK

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Lets start a thread this year writing funny previews each week and then lets go viral, on social media, using a personal brand. mobile. Tablet.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rap posted:

Lets start a thread this year writing funny previews each week and then lets go viral, on social media, using a personal brand. mobile. Tablet.

hashtag

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

...Bird internet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you need an out of touch white guy, I'm right here when you need me.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

this could lead to a huge paradigm shift in several vertical markets

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Sash! posted:

If you need an out of touch white guy, I'm right here when you need me.

How many "Back in MY day..." articles can you fart out on a daily basis? This is crucial.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

haljordan posted:

How many "Back in MY day..." articles can you fart out on a daily basis? This is crucial.

Less the better, correct? You have to be out of touch, but not out of touch on an hourly basis. Sporadically is much better as far as I can tell.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I was just listening to some of Rich Eisen's podcasts from the playoff weeks this year and for the divisional weekend show he has none other than Peter King on to discuss that magnificent example of football. Its very painful to hear Eisen use his great skills as an interviewer to accentuate all of Peter King's douchery. Rich know just the right questions to ask in order to set off an avalanche of bullshit about King's behind the scenes access or sense of "history" of the game.

Its like Van Gogh painting a still life of tubgirl.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

So apparently, noted shithead Angelo Cataldi (the guy who organized a bus full of fans to go and boo :mcnabb: as he got drafted by the Eagles) is now trying to drum up support to get another boo fest going for :mcnabb:'s retirement ceremony when it's held at half time during a home game this year.

I want to show up anytime Cataldi steps foot in public and boo him constantly.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Booing your best quarterback since Randall and, as far as I know, your second-best quarterback ever because he...didn't get you a Super Bowl? Isn't Peyton Manning?

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
He's pretty black tho

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
yeah............black ppl are cool.....

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Best QB ever actually but yeah why let a little thing like that get in the way of conuntuing Philadelphia's streak of being the worst city to play for.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 26m
Apparently some reporters have a problem understanding that, while they're "watching film," the rest of us are working.

L I T E R A L L Y

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Per a league source, I'm the only one doing any real work in this entire industry

midwat
May 6, 2007

"Screw trying to understand the game better, I'm going to write more speculative drivel!"

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Peter King, noted Manhattan resident posted:

Mr. Starwood Preferred Member Travel Note of the Week

Best thing about living in Manhattan: walking.

I was in a hurry twice in the past week. The first time, I was rushing from my East Side apartment to the SI offices in midtown. It's a walk of about 17 minutes. I didn't have 17 minutes. Midday. Jumped in a cab. Got three blocks. Turned right onto 51st Street. Sat for a minute. Big bottleneck at 51st and Lexington ahead. Inched forward through two, three four light changes. Paid the guy. Got out and walked. Aaaargh.

The second time, I was late getting home from the office. About 5:15 p.m. and Avenue of the Americas (you might know it as Sixth Avenue) was a parking lot. I knew I wouldn't save time in a cab. Walked again.

I like walking. It's just that, when you're in a hurry in New York, it doesn't matter. Everything above ground is in quicksand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

It's even more obnoxious when you run with his idiotic staccato sentences and read it like it's hard-boiled detective fiction. He's such an insufferable douche.

• Locked thread