Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

I don't think your card is overheating. Cleaning it can't hurt though. I'm no tech support expert but before you go worrying about having to replace your card, try this stuff. Roll back to the previous drivers, and if that doesn't help try completely uninstalling the game, erase everything you can of it from your hard drive, and reinstall it without the mods.

If you're not having these issues with other games after any amount of time it seems unlikely that the problem lies with your card. I would guess, with limited information, something wonky with the drivers/textures/mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dunc-uk
Jul 27, 2002
I've diagnosed many overheating issues with self-built PCs by simply playing with one side of the case open or removed, to increase airflow. If it doesn't happen any more, it's definitely overheating.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beardless Riker posted:

I don't think your card is overheating. Cleaning it can't hurt though. I'm no tech support expert but before you go worrying about having to replace your card, try this stuff. Roll back to the previous drivers, and if that doesn't help try completely uninstalling the game, erase everything you can of it from your hard drive, and reinstall it without the mods.

If you're not having these issues with other games after any amount of time it seems unlikely that the problem lies with your card. I would guess, with limited information, something wonky with the drivers/textures/mods.

That's a good point, do you have issues with any other games? Can you run some kind of GPU stress test?

Weird artifacts either way. Yeah, it could definitely be drivers I suppose, I misread it and thought he was playing for longer before the issues popped up. Still, clean the hell out of it just in case. Could be some kind of damage? But then it should be happening with anything GPU intensive. Weird. Definitely try newer drivers, rollback drivers, and reinstall game before you buy a new GPU or anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Okay, next question - what are your CPU temps like? 72C is fine for a 660TI, well under thermal max.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
It's a shame that the only thing I don't care for in Blood Dragon is 2 out of the 5 weapons there.

Everything else is tits. :krad:

Edit: Also is the sound DREADFULLY low for anyone else? Both my volume mixer and the ingame bars are at max but I have to turn my speakers all the way (to 11 :rock:) to hear much of anything

Morter fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 1, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Morter posted:

It's a shame that the only thing I don't care for in Blood Dragon is 2 out of the 5 weapons there.

Everything else is tits. :krad:

Edit: Also is the sound DREADFULLY low for anyone else? Both my volume mixer and the ingame bars are at max but I have to turn my speakers all the way (to 11 :rock:) to hear much of anything

We've got a Blood Dragon thread going over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544543

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Haven't even noticed any changes from the immersive sounds mod, but just weighing in that the FC Rebalanced thing has definitely made for a fun NG+. Guns don't seem to become randomly ineffective at medium distance, and you're actually forced to use weapons that you'd otherwise have skipped over completely. Feels pretty pro to magdump my Skorpion through a wooden wall and actually kill everyone on the other side for once.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
Speaking of video cards overheating, my 560ti sometimes goes up to 88C while playing FC3 (and Blood Dragon). I just quit playing Blood Dragon and it was at 73C so maybe that is ok but should I be worried about it getting to near 90C at times? I haven't had any issues yet but it kind of bothers me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kukash posted:

Speaking of video cards overheating, my 560ti sometimes goes up to 88C while playing FC3 (and Blood Dragon). I just quit playing Blood Dragon and it was at 73C so maybe that is ok but should I be worried about it getting to near 90C at times? I haven't had any issues yet but it kind of bothers me.

Rendering the heat of a second apocalypse is no easy task

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
From reading the thread earlier, Far Cry 3 improves on many of the awkward bits of Far Cry 2.

That said, if I enjoyed FC3 would it be worth playing Far Cry 2 if a copy came up at the right price? I think the setting is more appealing to me than the tropical island, although I'm generally not big on shooters. My favourite bits of FC3 were sneaking around and liberating bases with a sniper rifle, though I'd also finished all the side quests well before the main story.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gorbash posted:

From reading the thread earlier, Far Cry 3 improves on many of the awkward bits of Far Cry 2.

That said, if I enjoyed FC3 would it be worth playing Far Cry 2 if a copy came up at the right price? I think the setting is more appealing to me than the tropical island, although I'm generally not big on shooters. My favourite bits of FC3 were sneaking around and liberating bases with a sniper rifle, though I'd also finished all the side quests well before the main story.

FC2 is much more about gameplay than story. Once it gets going there aren't really any linear or heavily scripted missions like in FC3, although that does mean that they typically devolve into indistinguishable objectives where you just go to a place and shoot some people. I've played it a lot more than FC3 which I still haven't finished, but it definitely isn't for everyone.

It does atmosphere and immersion much better, but it's got some annoying mechanics that are hard to ignore, specifically enemies respawning too much and a very sparse fast-travel system that forces you to pass through those constantly-respawning locations repeatedly. But I still think it's an awesome game and in some ways I like the graphics better than FC3's.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If you're on PC Far Cry 2 hits $2.50 or so during steam sales and it's well worth it at that price. It's not quite the same as 3, but the systems are pretty similar.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

FC2 is much more about gameplay than story. Once it gets going there aren't really any linear or heavily scripted missions like in FC3, although that does mean that they typically devolve into indistinguishable objectives where you just go to a place and shoot some people. I've played it a lot more than FC3 which I still haven't finished, but it definitely isn't for everyone.

It does atmosphere and immersion much better, but it's got some annoying mechanics that are hard to ignore, specifically enemies respawning too much and a very sparse fast-travel system that forces you to pass through those constantly-respawning locations repeatedly. But I still think it's an awesome game and in some ways I like the graphics better than FC3's.

I know what you mean. The game feels more visceral and dangerous than FC3 by a long way. The weapons jamming, lack of a mini map and dusty gritty look really all combine for some vicious feeling fighting.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sleekly posted:

I know what you mean. The game feels more visceral and dangerous than FC3 by a long way. The weapons jamming, lack of a mini map and dusty gritty look really all combine for some vicious feeling fighting.

One thing I really liked in FC2 was how when driving your guy actually held the map open on his lap that you had to lock down at to see where you were going.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

One thing I really liked in FC2 was how when driving your guy actually held the map open on his lap that you had to lock down at to see where you were going.
The map in FC2 was such a pain that I ended up just learning the entire world based on landmarks. I think know my way around FC2 as well as I know my own hometown.

The popular criticism of FC2, the re-spawning checkpoints, becomes a non-issue once you start playing the game as an open-world mercenary murder simulator and treating the mission objectives as a suggestion of the general direction you should be traveling in rather than immediate goals. Then the whole point is to shoot at things and complaining about having things to shoot becomes nonsensical.

I think what people really miss is any feeling of accomplishment from clearing a checkpoint. They could have fixed this by making the checkpoints re-spawn based on time rather than distance. FC3 "fixed" it by making them not re-spawn at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dicky B posted:

The map in FC2 was such a pain that I ended up just learning the entire world based on landmarks. I think know my way around FC2 as well as I know my own hometown.

The popular criticism of FC2, the re-spawning checkpoints, becomes a non-issue once you start playing the game as an open-world mercenary murder simulator and treating the mission objectives as a suggestion of the general direction you should be traveling in rather than immediate goals. Then the whole point is to shoot at things and complaining about having things to shoot becomes nonsensical.

Yeah, I mean they did respawn a little too fast IMO but it's much better than the system in FC3 where you clear outposts and then after you clear the outposts you are on boring island with nothing to do.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

You're also not fawned over like some golden child from the get go.
Dudes shove you out of the way and just looking at them riles them up.

They never like you, but they do learn to fear you.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Earwicker posted:

Yeah, I mean they did respawn a little too fast IMO but it's much better than the system in FC3 where you clear outposts and then after you clear the outposts you are on boring island with nothing to do.

They patched in the ability to reset all outposts to pirate control in FC3 though.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Sleekly posted:

You're also not fawned over like some golden child from the get go.
Dudes shove you out of the way and just looking at them riles them up.

They never like you, but they do learn to fear you.

I thought the reactions were really well voiced. I loved the way everybody turned to watch like :stare: when you pointed a grenade launcher in some guys face, as he tried to keep his tough man cred while peeing a little.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I thought the reactions were really well voiced. I loved the way everybody turned to watch like :stare: when you pointed a grenade launcher in some guys face, as he tried to keep his tough man cred while peeing a little.

Except that literally every character in Far Cry 2 without exception talks in an extremely fast, hurried tone that sounds as if Ubisoft had to get the entire voice acting work for the whole game done in a single day. I mean I cannot think of even one character or random NPC voice who doesn't do this. It's one of the game's quirks I've sort of learned to enjoy but I just can't figure out what was up with the voices. Why is everyone in such a hurry?

The thing that stood out to me more than anything else in the first prerelease video of Far Cry 3 was how slowly and deliberately Vaas spoke. The presentation of story and whatnot is just so different in FC2/3.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is everyone's recommended mod? The last time I played was at launch with Swartz's, one of the earlier versions of it. Now I see Ziggy's, Swartz, and FC3 Rebalanced are the top ones.

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002

Except that literally every character in Far Cry 2 without exception talks in an extremely fast, hurried tone that sounds as if Ubisoft had to get the entire voice acting work for the whole game done in a single day. I mean I cannot think of even one character or random NPC voice who doesn't do this. It's one of the game's quirks I've sort of learned to enjoy but I just can't figure out what was up with the voices. Why is everyone in such a hurry?

In conversation with South Africans, I've always found that they tend to speak at a great rate in regard to English. It sounds odd but I'd put the hurried tone down to an attempt at authenticity; it's like commas and fullstops have no place in spoken language.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

More than that, everyone has ZERO inflection in their delivery. What really stood out was in the very beginning, when the Jackal says "Nobody kills me. Nobody. I'm the one who decides who lives and who dies - me." It struck me as an opportunity to show off some anger, some flair for the dramatic. Instead, it's just pure :geno: and there isn't the slightest shred of intimidation in the entire speech.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kukash posted:

That's edging in to danger territory. When's the last time you cleaned the heatsink on your video card?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
After taking a few months break from PC gaming in general, I was about to go back into FC3 free roam (I had beaten the game extensively already) with the FC3 rebalanced mod...but seeing this Ziggys mod with a bunch of new weapon unlocks gives me quite a raise of the eyebrow.

What are the major differences between the two mods, that might make one better than the other? Because as far as I can see, they are both immersive and difficulty-adding mods. Does anything make FC3 Rebalanced "better" than Ziggys?

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain

Coughing Hobo posted:

More than that, everyone has ZERO inflection in their delivery. What really stood out was in the very beginning, when the Jackal says "Nobody kills me. Nobody. I'm the one who decides who lives and who dies - me." It struck me as an opportunity to show off some anger, some flair for the dramatic. Instead, it's just pure :geno: and there isn't the slightest shred of intimidation in the entire speech.

Doc Holliday posted:

In conversation with South Africans, I've always found that they tend to speak at a great rate in regard to English. It sounds odd but I'd put the hurried tone down to an attempt at authenticity; it's like commas and fullstops have no place in spoken language.

Are South Africans really rare in the US or something? I keep hearing these complaints about the voice acting, but they sounded like every South African I've ever known.

I guess one could make an argument that it's a game and sometimes it's a good idea to sacrifice authenticity for the sake of story telling, but the impression I got form far cry 2 was that they where pretty keen on authentic.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Captain_Red posted:

Are South Africans really rare in the US or something?

Actually, yes. Even in NYC where I regularly meet people from all over the world, South Africans seem very rare. Aside from Lethal Weapon 2 and Die Antwoord I don't think most Americans encounter South African accents very often at all.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Yeah it never even occurred to me that anything was amiss with the voicing in FC2 until I came online and saw how often people brought it up. I thought it sounded very natural.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
There are a few South Africans in Australia, and there's a fair bit of cultural crossover due to sports contacts and a shared history of marginalising black people, so it wasn't that weird to me. Actually Australians in urban areas talk pretty fast too.

Likewise, actually, with Far Cry 3, they did a fair heap of voice recording in New Zealand and it shows.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dicky B posted:

I think what people really miss is any feeling of accomplishment from clearing a checkpoint. They could have fixed this by making the checkpoints re-spawn based on time rather than distance. FC3 "fixed" it by making them not re-spawn at all.

I actually preferred clearing. It was cool at first, that enemies would go back to checkpoints and keep you busy, but at the same time in contributed to the grind. I don't think i've really burned out on that many games before the end, but far cry 2 got very boring by the time I hit the second area.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Far Cry 2 would be dramatically improved if it had Far Cry 3's stealth/takedown gameplay. The outposts would still respawn a little too quickly (as soon as you drive out of sight), but it would be better because taking over an outpost and killing everyone in it would be so much more entertaining no matter which way you did it.

The second area in FC2 was a bit easier if you knew the patrol routes of the trucks that had the grenade launcher attached, since you could just go steal one of those and drive up to any outpost or base and shell it with the grenade launcher with near total impunity thanks to the unlimited supply of grenades before you even get the grenade launcher vehicle upgrade at safe houses.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if I can mod the big DLC truck to have a grenade launcher instead of the BMG50, that would make rolling around in the first area a lot easier... Of course the solution in FC2 to just wanting to drive around and pick up diamond cases without having to deal with constantly respawning enemies is just to launch the game with the command line option: -GameProfile_IgnorePlayer 1

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

Now that I think of it, I wonder if I can mod the big DLC truck to have a grenade launcher instead of the BMG50, that would make rolling around in the first area a lot easier... Of course the solution in FC2 to just wanting to drive around and pick up diamond cases without having to deal with constantly respawning enemies is just to launch the game with the command line option: -GameProfile_IgnorePlayer 1

Is that basically a "notarget" cheat?

FC2 respawns issue could have been fixed by Ubisoft just by making it take 12 in-game hours (12, 24 or whatever) instead of instant. Dylan's mod just lowered the chance on being chased after driving past an outpost but it isn't enough for me.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Guillermus posted:

Is that basically a "notarget" cheat?

FC2 respawns issue could have been fixed by Ubisoft just by making it take 12 in-game hours (12, 24 or whatever) instead of instant. Dylan's mod just lowered the chance on being chased after driving past an outpost but it isn't enough for me.

Pretty much is the "notarget" cheat. AI will completely ignore you in most cases, so don't stand in the road. They still hear shots and explosions and stuff like that, but they just won't see/detect you. It produces fairly amusing results if you shoot someone in a cease fire zone.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Guillermus posted:

FC2 respawns issue could have been fixed by Ubisoft just by making it take 12 in-game hours (12, 24 or whatever) instead of instant.
It's actually based on distance traveled away, not time. The game completely unloads a chunk of the map from memory when you leave it and doesn't keep track of who you killed, so everything is completely reset when that chunk of the map is reloaded.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Indiana_Krom posted:

Far Cry 2 would be dramatically improved if it had Far Cry 3's stealth/takedown gameplay.

I wholeheartedly disagree. FC3 is better in a lot of ways, but stealth isn’t one of them. I’m going to shamelessly quote an earlier post of mine:

Platystemon posted:

This is going to mark me as a heretic, but I think that FC2 had superior stealth gameplay. Enemy camps in FC2 had far more interesting layouts†. Attacking at night was a tactical option not present in FC3. The weapon‐carrying limitations made fights more challenging as well.

Once aware of my presence, FC2’s enemies behaved more dynamically, panicking or fanning out to search for me rather than beelining to where I fired from. People complained about FC2’s X‐ray‐vision enemies, but I found FC3’s to be worse in this regard. They can’t track me that well, but they can tell where I fired from with improbably speed and precision.

I think FC3’s detection alerts were a good idea, but wall‐hack tagging is a step too far. Perhaps enemies should be tracked in the open, but not behind cover.

Don’t get me wrong, FC3 took many steps forward. It’s just that it took a few back at the same time.

†I should probably say what made FC2’s camp layouts better. They were larger and more spread‐out, with multiple routes, some of them concealed, in and around the camp. It was possible to take out guards one‐at‐a‐time because they would patrol out of sight of the others—which is a dumb move in real life, but an acceptable concession to gameplay. In FC3 all the enemies are clustered in a small, fairly open compound with a handful of buildings. Wanted Dead missions are even worse with the guys standing in the middle of nowhere for no good reason. FC2 mixed it up with valley camps, hill‐top camps, camps against cliffs, riverside camps, desert camps, jungle camps, big camps, little camps, &c. Even the hated checkpoints had more variety than FC3’s outposts.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I've solved the "run out of things to do after capturing all outposts" problem by just not capturing outposts. This is the first time I've played this, and I captured 3 or 4, and I've just barely unlocked the second island. Lots of fun random encounters. I am playing on the third difficulty level, and I don't find myself getting killed anyway.

Wowzers, the Bushman. :stare: I can't see a compelling reason to use anything else anymore, except for novelty weapons like flamethrowers/flares

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

canyoneer posted:

I've solved the "run out of things to do after capturing all outposts" problem by just not capturing outposts. This is the first time I've played this, and I captured 3 or 4, and I've just barely unlocked the second island. Lots of fun random encounters. I am playing on the third difficulty level, and I don't find myself getting killed anyway.

Wowzers, the Bushman. :stare: I can't see a compelling reason to use anything else anymore, except for novelty weapons like flamethrowers/flares

Yeah, I would advise capturing a few strategic outposts to teleport around and otherwise leave everything uncaptured; tons more random fights that way, more fun.

That said, you can reset all the outposts once you've captured them all now, so that rocks. I love capturing outposts, it lets you be truly free in the spirit of farcry and approach the problem as you want to.

Yes, the Bushman is one of the best games in the gun. Most of the signature weapons are pretty OP. That said, the starting weapons aren't bad by any means, so its really just a matter of preference, it doesn't make it that much "easier"

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
This may sound like a dumb question. Just got the game yesterday because of the $30 deal. Great game so far, but I am having trouble figuring out something about weapons. Two parts, I can't seem to drop a weapon to pick up another?!? (Why would choose to do that if that is the case) Also, I know I have a pistol buy can only equip it at merchants. Is this because I only have two weapon slots so far and can't hold it?

Please someone tell me if there is a way to drop a weapon. Seen some awesome rifles but cannot get them.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
If you're looking at a weapon on the ground, and you hold E, you will drop what you're carrying in your hands at that moment and pick up whatever's on the ground. Later on, be careful looting with unique weapons out, some of them bug if you accidentally drop them then pick them back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Hilarion posted:

If you're looking at a weapon on the ground, and you hold E, you will drop what you're carrying in your hands at that moment and pick up whatever's on the ground. Later on, be careful looting with unique weapons out, some of them bug if you accidentally drop them then pick them back up.

Ok, I am playing on xbox though so it isn't E. I figure it would be X, but I get no confirmation to pick up/drop the weapons.

Edit: Must have been some glitch based on my weapon choices because I switched one out and now it's working.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 22, 2013

• Locked thread