Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Leb posted:

Oh, look. Patch 3.4 just dropped and it adds support for.. REDKITTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Which is now occasionally available at http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/

ed: not out officially until tomorrow

In the meantime, here are some screenshots from the first mod to surface:

Goddamit. I dont have access to my desktop for at least 6 weeks, and quite possibly until September. Guess my overambitious 100 hour adult fantasy magnum opus wont see the light of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Leb posted:

And as a friendly reminder that English has confusing rules:

Looks like it could be a line from "Da Witcha 2"

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Finally upgraded this game from backlog status a few weeks ago, I'm roughly in the middle of Act 2 and have for the most part been loving it thus far. I've got a handful of questions that weren't answered in the OP, though, so here goes:

How much of a jump in difficulty is it from easy to medium? I got assigned easy in the tutorial and decided to roll with it, but now that I've got the gist of combat I'm pretty much demolishing everything, but I've been hesitant to bump it up to medium for fear of getting curbstomped, since there have still been a few troublesome fights here and there (e.g., Act 1 boss fight).

Is it just me, or is the sound mix pretty bad at times, specifically with dialogue? Some lines are so loud I'll have to turn the volume down, but then (often in the same conversation) some lines are near whisper quiet and I'll have to adjust the volume again. Are there any sound stabilization mods out there?

Does the mysterious merchant always have the best equipment? So far there hasn't really been a point to using any of the other merchants, as far as I can tell.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Leb posted:

And as a friendly reminder that English has confusing rules:

Would you prefer "This place has a history, the elves have settled here"? It's a perfectly decent English sentence.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Xander77 posted:

Would you prefer "This place has a history, the elves have settled here"? It's a perfectly decent English sentence.

"This place got history" isn't, uh, the most elegant way to phrase that though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah but else you sound like a Blue Öyster Cult song.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Space Racist posted:

Finally upgraded this game from backlog status a few weeks ago, I'm roughly in the middle of Act 2 and have for the most part been loving it thus far. I've got a handful of questions that weren't answered in the OP, though, so here goes:

How much of a jump in difficulty is it from easy to medium? I got assigned easy in the tutorial and decided to roll with it, but now that I've got the gist of combat I'm pretty much demolishing everything, but I've been hesitant to bump it up to medium for fear of getting curbstomped, since there have still been a few troublesome fights here and there (e.g., Act 1 boss fight).

Is it just me, or is the sound mix pretty bad at times, specifically with dialogue? Some lines are so loud I'll have to turn the volume down, but then (often in the same conversation) some lines are near whisper quiet and I'll have to adjust the volume again. Are there any sound stabilization mods out there?

Does the mysterious merchant always have the best equipment? So far there hasn't really been a point to using any of the other merchants, as far as I can tell.

The Arena is a good way of seeing what combat difficulty works for you. If you can arena to level 5 after a couple of tries you can probably beat the game at that difficulty. I never played on easy, but medium felt like a cakewalk from around the start of act 2. Hard is another story and requires you to take note of positioning a lot more and really manage the groups that you're fighting. Dark is tactically similar to hard but you take a bit more damage. Insane is dark but it deletes your save when you die.

Yeah the sound mix is terrible for dialogue, it has to do with the camera angle changing and the camera's position against whoever's speaking. Not fun.

I don't think the mysterious merchant has anything as good as the drops in late act 2 and he's not in act 3 at all. Otherwise, yes, he's most often the best merchant.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Xander77 posted:

I... what..?

Space Racist posted:

Purists and elitists usually disable the mysterious merchant in the DLC menu cause he's (or was originally) a preorder bonus who sells everything at 30% off.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is that supposed to be Geralt's dialogue, or is that a character just off-screen talking to him? Someone that's low-born and uses poor grammar.

Space Racist posted:

The mysterious merchant sells good equipment in terms of stuff that's already made, but I think you usually buy diagrams from other merchants that are better than his stuff. He's primarily good for getting cheap runes.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 10, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

necrobobsledder posted:

Looks like it could be a line from "Da Witcha 2"

I'd play this.

Also if that mod doesn't end with Geralt boning Triss then it's not a True First Mod.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The REDKit's officially here! :woop:

You'll need to register before you can download the REDkit (which is inconveniently split into five parts) on this page.

Warning: the REDkit breaks Steam compatibility on Steam-bound copies.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 13, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yodzilla posted:

Also if every quest in that mod doesn't end with Geralt boning Triss then it's not a True First Fanmade Mod.

I had to fix that for you. I mean....nerds, c'mon now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Hey now let's not limit Geralt's options to just one woman.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yodzilla posted:

Ahahaha touche sir. I'm so narrowminded.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
CDPR, you guys are weird, and by god do I love you for it.

This is the trailer the guys released for the REDKit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO44e1rs9Ls

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Yodzilla posted:

Why does he want two women? Does he often lose them?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So, finished the game earlier today, and yeah! That was pretty good! The idea of playing in such a richly detailed world, with an open world setting in an area as big as Skyrim has me practically salivating at the prospect of the Witcher 3.

Anyway, I'm going to discuss various plot details below, I figure it's okay to not spoiler tag since this is a two year old game, but if anyone wants I'll edit my post. Yeah, never mind.

:siren: SPOILERS BELOW :siren:

I played Roche's path, and generally played a pretty ruthless Geralt, killing just about anyone who crossed me (except, hilariously, that one elf girl in Flotsam that set me up for ambush - learned from that mistake!). Sile? Exploded. Letho? Killed. Even if he was a former companion of mine, he made my life way too difficult throughout the game to let him live. I didn't even spare the dragon, though seeing as it had just been speared by a tree, it seemed more like putting it out of its misery. One thing I really love about the game is how there aren't any obvious good or bad choices, rather the game asks you to make choices on imperfect or limited information (just like real life, how novel!). For example, I did decide to let Henselt live, since I figured the north couldn't survive another dead king, only to get to Loc Muinne and he and Radovind are licking their lips at how to carve up Temeria - at which point I had to stop and say "maybe that wasn't the best idea".

Anyway, I imagine it would help if I had played the first game, but one thing I didn't feel the game really explained very well was why exactly Geralt was so hell-bent on finding Yennefer, or why he cared so much about her in particular. I get that she's sort of at the center of getting his memories back, but based on Letho's description she didn't really sound like someone worth pursuing to the ends of the earth, and if he's just trying to find his lost love, why does he get so close to Triss (manwhore status or not, there was some legitimate affection there) and why does she keep helping him search for Yennefer after getting so close? That said, I am interested as hell in the Wild Hunt, so if finding Yennefer is part of that answer, so be it.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 18, 2013

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
you may want to use spoiler tags for that.

As for Yennefer, she wasn't in the first game at all. The Hunt is also not that prominent in the first game. Aspects of it pop up here and there but it's mostly a separate plot. Yennefer appears more in the books but I haven't gotten to the point in the books where the flashbacks of the second game are mentioned. I've read The Last Wish, Sword of Destiny, and The Blood of Elves. The game hasn't included (book spoilers) Ciri but that character appears to be a major character in #3.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

you may want to use spoiler tags for that.

As for Yennefer, she wasn't in the first game at all. The Hunt is also not that prominent in the first game. Aspects of it pop up here and there but it's mostly a separate plot. Yennefer appears more in the books but I haven't gotten to the point in the books where the flashbacks of the second game are mentioned. I've read The Last Wish, Sword of Destiny, and The Blood of Elves. The game hasn't included (book spoilers) Ciri but that character appears to be a major character in #3.

The flashbacks don't occur in the books. The books end with the Rivian Pogrom and Geralt's apparent death. All the Wild Hunt stuff happens in the ~6 months between that and the first game.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Apropos of nothing in particular, CDPR will be demo'ing The Witcher 3 at E3...

behind closed doors, you filthy casuals.

:smith:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-ps4-and-xbox-720-e3-2013-plans-revealed

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The flashbacks don't occur in the books. The books end with the Rivian Pogrom and Geralt's apparent death. All the Wild Hunt stuff happens in the ~6 months between that and the first game.

Ah, good to know the timeline then. So many books to read and no time...

Leb posted:

Apropos of nothing in particular, CDPR will be demo'ing The Witcher 3 at E3...

behind closed doors, you filthy casuals.

:smith:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-ps4-and-xbox-720-e3-2013-plans-revealed

:argh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Question about this, spoilers just to be safe.
The Rivian Pogrom is when non-humans there start getting mass-murdered but then Geralt stands up for some non-humans, gets pitchforked and dies, then he gets revived somehow, the wild hunt stuff happens, then Witcher 1 with Geralt running from wtf with no memories right at the beginning?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mickey McKey posted:

The Rivian Pogrom is when non-humans there start getting mass-murdered but then Geralt stands up for some non-humans, gets pitchforked and dies, then he gets revived somehow, the wild hunt stuff happens, then Witcher 1 with Geralt running from wtf with no memories right at the beginning?

Yeah Geralt is interesting in a game sense because he's an established character in a universe where he's well known but he has amnesia and the player is left to figure out wtf. Someone basically went "Wouldn't it be cool to make a Witcher game?" and they went with the main character and continued a book series instead of making up a new character in the same universe.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mickey McKey posted:

Yeah, my understanding from the flashbacks is 1265 the war with Nilfgaard ends. September 1268 Geralt takes a pitchfork to the heart in Rivia. Yennefer heals him, and they go to the Isle of Avalach to recover. The Wild Hunt carries off Yennefer, and Geralt chases them halfway across the world. He teams up with Letho, Serrit and Auckes, in 1270 and they confront the hunt, Geralt trading his soul for hers. He escapes them, losing his memory in the process, and Witcher 1 starts with him fleeing them. Witcher 2 is in 1271, and the first game takes place over a couple of months, so he can't have been with the hunt long.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah Geralt is interesting in a game sense because he's an established character in a universe where he's well known but he has amnesia and the player is left to figure out wtf. Someone basically went "Wouldn't it be cool to make a Witcher game?" and they went with the main character and continued a book series instead of making up a new character in the same universe.

drat, yeah that is pretty sweet. Probably part of its success of the game. I dislike the "OH MY GOD, <insert name> YOU ARE ONLY ONE THAT CAN SAVE US FROM THIS ANCIENT UNSTOPPABLE EVIL THAT IS GOING TO DESTROY THE WORRRLLLLDDDDDDDD!!!!" games, which the Witcher games, in my opinion, are far from.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, my understanding from the flashbacks is 1265 the war with Nilfgaard ends. September 1268 Geralt takes a pitchfork to the heart in Rivia. Yennefer heals him, and they go to the Isle of Avalach to recover. The Wild Hunt carries off Yennefer, and Geralt chases them halfway across the world. He teams up with Letho, Serrit and Auckes, in 1270 and they confront the hunt, Geralt trading his soul for hers. He escapes them, losing his memory in the process, and Witcher 1 starts with him fleeing them. Witcher 2 is in 1271, and the first game takes place over a couple of months, so he can't have been with the hunt long.

Interesting. I wonder how much of this will be explained in Witcher 3. I presume a lot since it will be the culmination of the super-large plot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yennefer heals him, and they go to the Isle of Avalach to recover.
This part's wrong. Yennefer was struck down in the riot too. Ciri heals Geralt and Yennefer and teleports them to Avalach.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lycus posted:

This part's wrong. Yennefer was struck down in the riot too. Ciri heals Geralt and Yennefer and teleports them to Avalach.

They didn't go there to recover, it's a timeless dimension where they could spent eternity together. It's basically an afterlife.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Lycus posted:

Not quite. Yennefer attempts to revive him with a spell that can only be used by someone fertile. It's too much for her and she dies. After the dwarves and Dandelion put the bodies in a boat, Ciri sails off with them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Khazar-khum posted:

Not quite. Yennefer attempts to revive him with a spell that can only be used by someone fertile. It's too much for her and she dies. After the dwarves and Dandelion put the bodies in a boat, Ciri sails off with them.
Okay. I haven't read the book, so I only know the (fewer) details that were presented in the game's flashback scene. All it said in the report Roche read was that Ciri (yet unnamed) took the bodies away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there any way to clear out my save games from the Steam Cloud? The game takes ages to load, and I was getting ready for another playthrough.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there any way to clear out my save games from the Steam Cloud? The game takes ages to load, and I was getting ready for another playthrough.

I think if you just delete them in the 'Load Game' screen, it'll automatically sync the deletions with the cloud. That's how it always seemed to work for me, at least.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Regardless of what happened in the past I'm really looking forward to finding out who the heck the Wild Hunt dudes are. The idea of extra-dimensional elves invading that poo poo heap of a world to go on bloody rampages and collect souls is just interesting to me.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Space Racist posted:

Anyway, I imagine it would help if I had played the first game, but one thing I didn't feel the game really explained very well was why exactly Geralt was so hell-bent on finding Yennefer, or why he cared so much about her in particular. I get that she's sort of at the center of getting his memories back, but based on Letho's description she didn't really sound like someone worth pursuing to the ends of the earth, and if he's just trying to find his lost love, why does he get so close to Triss (manwhore status or not, there was some legitimate affection there) and why does she keep helping him search for Yennefer after getting so close? That said, I am interested as hell in the Wild Hunt, so if finding Yennefer is part of that answer, so be it.

It's actually not explained or shown well in the games at all. It's basically just because Yennefer is his lover in the books and that's it. I mean, he doesn't even really remember her. He does want answers though, and she's probably got them. Though they've indicated his memory is completely back, so who knows?

It's worth noting that Triss loves Geralt and always has. Geralt has always cared for her but didn't love her like Yennefer. Yennefer is an interesting character because she's not actually all that nice. Yennefer is powerful, vain and kind of petty. Just like all the other sorceresses in the setting. Triss is the only one you could really describe as 'nice' though in the Witcher 2 it's clear that Philippa is trying to get her to be more like the rest.

That haven't talked about his relationship with Ciri at all and I'm curious to see how they handle the Yennefer/Triss choice (because I'm sure you'll have to choose). The easy way out would be to make Triss an enemy but I can't imagine that ever making sense. She'd always be on Geralt's side in the end, no matter what. She's very close to Ciri as well.

I also can't imagine Yennefer being very happy with Triss and Geralt and she's not the type of person you'd want to make angry.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Space Racist posted:

I think if you just delete them in the 'Load Game' screen, it'll automatically sync the deletions with the cloud. That's how it always seemed to work for me, at least.

I was hoping for a faster way to mass delete them, I've maxed out the file limit for the cloud and it'd take an hour to get through them all. I deleted them off my drive hoping it'd sync that way, but no luck.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Spite posted:

That haven't talked about his relationship with Ciri at all and I'm curious to see how they handle the Yennefer/Triss choice (because I'm sure you'll have to choose). The easy way out would be to make Triss an enemy but I can't imagine that ever making sense. She'd always be on Geralt's side in the end, no matter what. She's very close to Ciri as well.

I also can't imagine Yennefer being very happy with Triss and Geralt and she's not the type of person you'd want to make angry.

Like Geralt would have to pick between two women, the obvious choice is both.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

socialsecurity posted:

Like Geralt would have to pick between two women, the obvious choice is both.

The Sharmat posted:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I haven't read all the books (drat publishers still won't translate them), but three are surely better than nothing, and I can kinda see Yennefer's appeal. She is vain and petty and conniving, but unlike say, Philippa or Sile, she has that odd maternal streak, so she's not all bad. It's going to be really hard to get her positive qualities across in the third game though, for people who have only played the games and are used to Triss. Without multiple books of development it'll be easy for players to just write Yennefer off as an arrogant bitch and turn any choice into a false one. Especially if her memory hasn't recovered. By contrast, getting people unfamiliar with her to like Ciri seems easy enough, now that she's all grown up.

EDIT: Oh and for the question no one's really addressed, RE: Why does Triss keep wanting to help Geralt find her, despite what that might mean? Triss was a close friend of Yennefer's before either of them had met Geralt. Also she's apparently just a cool person like that.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I was hoping for a faster way to mass delete them, I've maxed out the file limit for the cloud and it'd take an hour to get through them all. I deleted them off my drive hoping it'd sync that way, but no luck.
Can't you just disable cloud saves for the time being and mass-delete them in Explorer or with that cleanup tool (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1897605)? Steam might even ask whether to sync the cloud saves back (don't) if you turn it back on I think.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Well I did hear the saves could bug out sometimes and you could lose progress that way :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I'm playing the Mac version of the game and am at the Kayran fight early on. Unfortunately, my computer isn't that good and there's too much lag going on for me to really be able to fight it. Usually it runs smoothly enough, but it really slows down in the boss fight. Does anyone have any saves from after the fight I could use or just point me in the right direction to one? I would take a PC save, but for some reason Steam won't let me install it on my Windows partition so I have to play it on the Mac part. I tried to put it on an external disk which has plenty of space, but I keep getting an error saying there isn't enough room. I thought it might be because it's on an external drive, but I've used the same one to install the game before and it worked fine (the data has since been erased). The drive is NTFS too, so I don't know what's going on with that. If anyone could help on either of these problems, it would be greatly appreciated. And I know I'll probably keep running into this performance issue, but eh, I'll worry about that when I get to it.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 26, 2013

• Locked thread