Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Local bar has DFH 90 Minute on tap so I figured I'd give it a try. It has the hoppiness I'd expect from an IPA but it's has an almost creamy feel in the mouth with just a hint of cocoa undertones. At $6.75 a pint, I find it rather steep, but it is quite enjoyable as beers go.

It's a long way away from my usual PBR or Budweiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

funkybottoms posted:

Foothills (pretty much any stout, IPA, or porter) is probably your best bet for NC breweries. Olde Hickory makes a few really good beers (imperial stout, Irish Walker, Death by Hops, Black Raven), but also a number of duds. the Mother Earth and Green Man stuff i've had has been solid, but unspectacular. Lone Rider, Pisgah, and Highland are kinda whatever and you'll be lucky if you get some uninfected Duck Rabbit, so i'd skip them, too. i have friends that speak highly of Fullsteam, but i've never had any (think it's draft-only?). for other specific beers, i was there last month and remember there being some interesting-looking (and pricey) Nebraska Reserve Series, Terrapin Wake and Bake, various Great Divide Yetis and Colette, Boon Mariage Parfait, and NB La Folie (you don't get NB in CT, do you?). i hear they get both Cascade and Cantillon on occasion, too, but that stuff might not make it to the shelf.

Great, thanks for the tips. We don't get NB in CT, so I picked up some Shift which I've been wanting to try with some warm weather for awhile now and since it's really nice out here, it worked out well. I'll be going back today or tomorrow and grab some of the ones you've listed.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Phanatic posted:

I heard Sofie Paradisi was going to be draft only and I was sad. But turns out Philly got some and now I am happy. Because it's fantastic, the grapefruit citrus smoothly fades into vanilla and I wouldn't think that would work together but it's ungodly good. Best thing I've had by GI, except probably Rare.

Aaargh. I want it. On my L ride back into the city tonight I'm going to have to try and find it.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Phanatic posted:

I heard Sofie Paradisi was going to be draft only and I was sad. But turns out Philly got some and now I am happy. Because it's fantastic, the grapefruit citrus smoothly fades into vanilla and I wouldn't think that would work together but it's ungodly good. Best thing I've had by GI, except probably Rare.

I had a few samples of this at the Upland Sour Fest yesterday and really, really liked it. I hope one of the bottle shops around here gets some in, cause I know no one is gonna have it on tap.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

RiggenBlaque posted:

Great, thanks for the tips. We don't get NB in CT, so I picked up some Shift which I've been wanting to try with some warm weather for awhile now and since it's really nice out here, it worked out well. I'll be going back today or tomorrow and grab some of the ones you've listed.

awesome! NB's Transatlantic Kriek might be there, too, but i can't vouch for it. Sweet Josie Brown was mentioned on the last page and yeah, it's definitely a good beer, but not necessarily a make-room-in-the-suitcase one. if you're there for a minute and just looking for regular stuff to drink, though, check it out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

camoseven posted:

I had a few samples of this at the Upland Sour Fest yesterday and really, really liked it. I hope one of the bottle shops around here gets some in, cause I know no one is gonna have it on tap.

To clarify, it made it here on draft, it might be in bottles but I read here that it wasn't going to be.

An upland sour feat sounds pretty ridiculous, though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phanatic posted:

To clarify, it made it here on draft, it might be in bottles but I read here that it wasn't going to be.

No bottles according to GIs twitter account. Only tap.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Anyone here wanna hang in Boulder sometime this week? I have a bottle of unreleased California Brandy Barrel-aged Hunahpu's burning a hole in my pocket and I gotta do something with it. My idea is to drink it.

edit: my idea is to open it at Avery's 20th anniversary on Thursday.

nah fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 12, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Anyone here wanna hang in Boulder sometime this week? I have a bottle of unreleased California Brandy Barrel-aged Hunahpu's burning a hole in my pocket and I gotta do something with it. My idea is to drink it.

let nobody say that CCB doesn't have deep pockets...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was looking at some restaurants on grubhub and I found the following entries under "Craft Beef":

Bud Light Lime Craft Beef. Clearly worth $18 a six pack.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

I'm actually really interested in finding out what causes the 'nasty cheese' flavor that some IPAs get after some number of months. Fresh IPA (like <1week, <3 week, etc) is amazing and if I am at Total Wine I'm happy to grab the freshest 6 pack in a price range by a brewery I like (this is still a lot of options). However, old hoppy beer can be fine. I had a 6month old Big Swell recently that was fine, if a bit boring (likely not related to the age). Funny enough, I was drinking it from the can and enjoying it so much that I went and dumped it into a goblet. Of course, in the goblet I could start to smell a teeny bit of that cheesy funk. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing it would be isovaleric acid, which can show up when a hoppy beer oxidizes or if it was made with hops that weren't stored correctly.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I found a weird beer on the closeout shelf in CT - never seen this style of packaging before, it's basically a paper-wrapped blank bottle:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Permanent Funeral may be my new favorite FFF beer.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

danbanana posted:

Permanent Funeral may be my new favorite FFF beer.

That and Space Station Middle Finger are amazing beers.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

You gonna be in Tampa the 24th of May?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I don't know if I can make it up to Boulder this week, but theoretically the Denver goons are meeting up downtown for board games and beer on Wednesday, most likely Denver Beer Co or maybe River North and you'd be welcome there. Have yet to see if that's going to actually materialize this week though, haha. I believe it's reasonably easy to bus between Boulder and Denver, but sadly I know nothing of that because I live south of the south burbs :downsgun:

When are you leaving? If you're here through Sunday I can always make a beer detour through Boulder after some skiing.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Uuudar posted:

That and Space Station Middle Finger are amazing beers.

I opened a bottle of Permanent Funeral yesterday and I loved it. I haven't had Space Station Middle Finger, and last time I was at FFF they didn't have it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Remember how we were talking about summer beers?

I'd had Revolution's Rosa before but they just released it as their seasonal can and... It’s still not summer but I have a feeling that I'll be drinking a lot of this once it gets hot. Amazing.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Oh man, that's a good beer. We took a friend of the family to Rev's brew pub for her graduation last year and she ended up needing to basically be poured back into the car once she got a hold of that. Will definitely snag some of that when I'm in Chicago this summer.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I have a bottle of Rogue's Old Crustacean barleywine that I've kept in a cellar for 10 years.

I've never sat on anything this long - is it still good?

I'm not a big barleywine guy these days. Is it worth anything to sell?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

blk posted:

I have a bottle of Rogue's Old Crustacean barleywine that I've kept in a cellar for 10 years.

I've never sat on anything this long - is it still good?

I'm not a big barleywine guy these days. Is it worth anything to sell?

It's not worth much at all, drink up the fruits of your labor.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Does anyone know if Lou Pepe or Fou' Foune are ever available for purchase online, either through belgium in a box, or another similar website? I've really been thinking about ordering ~10-20 bottles of Cantillon online, but I'll probably hold out if either variant is ever available online. I am dying to try an awesome framboise, so recently I've been very tempted to order a ton of bottles of Rose De Gambrinus, although I would also really like to try the Lou Pepe version.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a good beer bar in Paris where I can sample some great Euro craft beer? Found one decent bar in Rome (bir and fud) but not sure where to look in Paris.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Does anyone know if Lou Pepe or Fou' Foune are ever available for purchase online, either through belgium in a box, or another similar website? I've really been thinking about ordering ~10-20 bottles of Cantillon online, but I'll probably hold out if either variant is ever available online. I am dying to try an awesome framboise, so recently I've been very tempted to order a ton of bottles of Rose De Gambrinus, although I would also really like to try the Lou Pepe version.

They pop up once in a rare moon, but you have to be very fast (and it's almost always limit 1). Keep your eyes peeled.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

http://www.examiner.com/article/grand-rapids-michigan-is-beercity-usa-2013

quote:

Grand Rapids, Michigan is BeerCity USA 2013

Voting for the annual BeerCity USA poll is over and tallied. Grand Rapids, Michigan has claimed sole designation as BeerCity USA 2013. Grand Rapids took a grand and rapid (pun intended) early lead. Kalamazoo, Michigan and Asheville, North Carolina made significant gains in the early stages of the 5 day voting period. Asheville pushed in a final two day assault but their rally was not enough to pass second place Kalamazoo.

There were exactly 50,000 votes cast for 23 qualifying American cities.

2013 BeerCity USA Vote Counts

1. Grand Rapids, MI 27,005 (2012:17,849 tie for 1st)
2. Kalamazoo, MI 11,150 (2012: none)
3. Asheville, NC 10,075 (2012:17,849 tie for 1st)
4. Ann Arbor, MI 847 (2012:581)
5. Tampa, FL 846 (2012: none)
6. Richmond, VA 614 (2012: none)
7. Jacksonville, FL 472 (2012: 379)
8. Portland, OR 372 (2012: 2,014)
9. Phoenix-Tempe-Scottsdale, AZ 351 (2012: 596)
10. Denver, CO 328 (2012: 809)

Michigan, the Great Beer State. :woop:

I need to move back to Grand Rapids ASAP. Also lol at Ann Arbor being 4th. There are only two actual breweries in town, one is utter poo poo and the other isn't great. Jolly Pumpkin has a brewpub here but their actual brewery is in Dexter.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Sirotan posted:

I need to move back to Grand Rapids ASAP. Also lol at Ann Arbor being 4th. There are only two actual breweries in town, one is utter poo poo and the other isn't great. Jolly Pumpkin has a brewpub here but their actual brewery is in Dexter.

i shook my head when i saw Richmond people agitating for more votes- two breweries (one of which is kinda crappy) does not a #1 beer city make.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Went by a bottle shop this morning. 2011 Pere Jacques, Stone Espresso RIS and Petrus Oud Bruin and an Aged Red for under $23.
This is the first time I'd ever seen Petrus here. I've seen it recommended here before, right?

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 13, 2013

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
The Petrus Aged Red is super cherry. Tasted pretty artificial to me, but I did enjoy it anyway.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sirotan posted:

http://www.examiner.com/article/grand-rapids-michigan-is-beercity-usa-2013

As an additional bonus, the cost of living is waaaaaaaaaay cheaper here than in Ann Arbor, which means more money for beer!

Also, Chicago is comfortably day-trippable from GR.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

It sure is, but not because of this silliness. Seems to me this is a giant pissing match between MI and Asheville with the rest of the country not even paying attention.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Grand Teton made an Oud Bruin as well. Picked one up to try later tonight. It has a big rear end brown bear on the label, so it has to be good, right? :v:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Libertine Bar nearby my place had both Apollo and Tart Lychee on tap. Haven't seen this LoF in over a year and I like what it's evolved into. The funkiness has tamed down over time and feels a lot more balanced now; kinda gueuze-like and very sippable with the lychee in the background. Great patio hangout beer. And saw they'll have Black Ops for ACBW tomorrow :yayclod:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

danbanana posted:

It sure is, but not because of this silliness. Seems to me this is a giant pissing match between MI and Asheville with the rest of the country not even paying attention.

Yeah...

quote:

The top 8 states from which over 1,000 votes were cast were:

Michigan 29,172
North Carolina 4,281
Florida 2,595
South Carolina 2,414
California 1,698
Ohio 1,263
Illinois 1,157
Virginia 1,157

Not sure who all those people in CA voted for considering San Diego received less than 300 votes. Not surprisingly, another worthless internet poll.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

I didn't come up with the 'Great Beer State' motto and it was around way before this competition was. Even if it is a dumb internet poll (which it is), Grand Rapids organized a bunch of interesting events last year after they tied for first place with Ashville, including an exhbit at the city museum and beer made by Founders especially for it, and a 'Beer City USA' beer (with the same recipe just different yeast? can't remember) brewed at each brewery in town. I think the state tourism board even got into the act to promote Grand Rapids as Beer City USA. I think it's great.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sirotan posted:

I didn't come up with the 'Great Beer State' motto and it was around way before this competition was. Even if it is a dumb internet poll (which it is), Grand Rapids organized a bunch of interesting events last year after they tied for first place with Ashville, including an exhbit at the city museum and beer made by Founders especially for it, and a 'Beer City USA' beer (with the same recipe just different yeast? can't remember) brewed at each brewery in town. I think the state tourism board even got into the act to promote Grand Rapids as Beer City USA. I think it's great.

When your weather is that lovely, you just grasp for something to hold onto.

Michigan is a badass beer state though.

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.

Cervixalot posted:

Is there a good beer bar in Paris where I can sample some great Euro craft beer? Found one decent bar in Rome (bir and fud) but not sure where to look in Paris.

I had a hard time finding much of anything beer related in Paris when I was there last fall. Admittedly, I didn't look that hard.

But this place is supposed to be good: http://www.academie-biere.com/

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
Look at what you goons made me do...

They were missing 2009, so now I'm going to obsess over tracking it down over the internet and trade/spend way too much for it
i blame you all
and beer

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

umop apisdn posted:

Look at what you goons made me do...

They were missing 2009, so now I'm going to obsess over tracking it down over the internet and trade/spend way too much for it
i blame you all
and beer

I'll keep an eye out and let you know. I hope it's not the one I have a magnum of.. :ohdear:

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

A rather dapper goon sent me a Bam Biere last week. I just got done mowing the yard and popped it open. It's really crisp and refreshing and it goes really, really good with the smell of fresh grass clippings. Overall, I prefer Tank 7 as a Farmhouse style, but this is admittedly a completely different take on it, and definitely not a bad one.
What's JP's distribution footprint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

LeeMajors posted:

When your weather is that lovely, you just grasp for something to hold onto.

Michigan is a badass beer state though.

Do you hate snow or something? Michigan has great weather, besides the summer humidity.