Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spipedong posted:

Since spring has finally arrived to the east side of the rockies, and in preparation for the upcoming 2200 mile road trip, it's time for a little maintenance on the STI.

Brake Pads :getin:
Plugs :frogout:

Hoping the plugs will clear up a little misfire at idle; it starts fine and sounds fine when cold, but after warming up a bit, I get a stumble every few seconds and it drives me nuts.

Hopefully the pads will give me a little more bite on the braking. I'm not sure what kind are on it now, but they aren't the stockers. I drove an E30 and a Hyundai Elantra on a trip last month both had better stopping feel than my STI, which is sad.

Not sure what the feel of the pedal is but you might also benefit from a brake bleed. Have you tracked the car? Is it possible you've overheated your fluid at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser

VelociBacon posted:

Not sure what the feel of the pedal is but you might also benefit from a brake bleed. Have you tracked the car? Is it possible you've overheated your fluid at some point?

I actually replaced the fluid a few months ago and bled everything. The pedal felt firm all along, it just didn't have any bite to it, especially in the cold or wet.

That said, I just got back from bedding the new pads in, and let me say ... WOW.

First off, easiest brake job ever. Thank you Brembo.
Secondly, there's the bite. I just about went through the windshield when I first stomped on the pedal with these new pads.

They aren't even fancy ones; it's just a DD so I went with the Stoptech PosiQuiet pads, recommended pretty highly on rallysport direct. The ones I pulled out were 'Apex' brand, looks like they come from ebay exclusively.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
So this happened.

I think I need new camber/caster plates and new top hats.

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 12, 2013

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012
Here's some pictures of the Rally Armor urethane mudflaps I installed a couple days ago. The front ones especially seem to be doing their job of keeping the spray off of the front doors and liner.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Got a spare dead engine?

Subaru Iron Man!

(On my desk :D )

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Is there a standard reccomended coil over for 05-07 STi's? I'm looking for something sub $1500, 99% street use. Comfort is high on priority. My buddies are all running BC Racing - anything else in that range that's better?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

MrZig posted:

Is there a standard reccomended coil over for 05-07 STi's? I'm looking for something sub $1500, 99% street use. Comfort is high on priority. My buddies are all running BC Racing - anything else in that range that's better?

Check out the SSTs from turn in concepts. They have a package deal for like $1500.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The Turn in Concepts SST coilovers are different from "ST" coilovers. The TIC ones are based off an AST 4100 and are more like 2500. The ST coilovers are based on the KW Variant 1 and are not available for the 05-07 sti unfortunately.

I would definitely not recommend BCs or anything else like that (megan racing etc).

I constantly hear "oh, it's a daily driver so I don't need expensive coilovers" from people who buy the cheap stuff. Well, guess what, now you get to live with it every day. It's not going to last as long, it's going to clunk, and it's not going to be comfortable.

So the answer to the $1500 question is spend more, or don't get coilovers. For a grand you can do springs, new tops, and a set of feal shock revalves. For a little more you can do the upcoming RCE Bilstein struts plus springs but I don't know when they are going to be available, and then the next step up would be a set of decent coilovers like the KW V1, which are about 1800. Stainless steel housings, high quality internals, near stock travel, and good support from KW in the usa.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

jamal posted:

The Turn in Concepts SST coilovers are different from "ST" coilovers. The TIC ones are based off an AST 4100 and are more like 2500. The ST coilovers are based on the KW Variant 1 and are not available for the 05-07 sti unfortunately.

I would definitely not recommend BCs or anything else like that (megan racing etc).

I constantly hear "oh, it's a daily driver so I don't need expensive coilovers" from people who buy the cheap stuff. Well, guess what, now you get to live with it every day. It's not going to last as long, it's going to clunk, and it's not going to be comfortable.

So the answer to the $1500 question is spend more, or don't get coilovers. For a grand you can do springs, new tops, and a set of feal shock revalves. For a little more you can do the upcoming RCE Bilstein struts plus springs but I don't know when they are going to be available, and then the next step up would be a set of decent coilovers like the KW V1, which are about 1800. Stainless steel housings, high quality internals, near stock travel, and good support from KW in the usa.

Yes, I meant the STs, thanks jamal.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrZig posted:

Like Jamal said, 1500 buck coilovers are misreble poo poo. The absolute lowest spec I would consider are an actual upgrade over what you can do with springs/shocks are DMS and those are still iffy.

I'm going MCA eventually but they aint cheap.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

DMS actually doesn't have a very good rep around here due to poor customer support. I'm starting to see some MCA stuff though.

If you are looking for a good suspension setup for a Subaru it's really hard to beat the Racecomp Engineering stuff. They take a KW and make it better.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

DMS actually doesn't have a very good rep around here due to poor customer support. I'm starting to see some MCA stuff though.

If you are looking for a good suspension setup for a Subaru it's really hard to beat the Racecomp Engineering stuff. They take a KW and make it better.

Plus Racecomp will rebuild for free.

My Racecomps cost less than $1500, coilover prices have gone way up in the last few years.

Who makes the least lovely catted DP for the LGT? My Invidia has 70k on it and apparently it may be started to clog. Apparently these loving things cost $800 these days too?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I just swapped my summer tires back on the car and was immediately reminded how terrible the all seasons I had on the car handle (Continental DWS). I'm going to ditch them before next winter - are there any all seasons that don't suck? I don't really care about snow/rain performance, I just need a tire that's rated for cold weather (20-30F) and has a nice stiff sidewall.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

nm posted:

Plus Racecomp will rebuild for free.

My Racecomps cost less than $1500, coilover prices have gone way up in the last few years.

Who makes the least lovely catted DP for the LGT? My Invidia has 70k on it and apparently it may be started to clog. Apparently these loving things cost $800 these days too?
Yeah, KW and therefore RCE have gone up. Think the Legacy Tarmac 1s are up to like 1900-2000.

Probably Cobb, or another Invidia, which is probably going to be cheaper. I need to get around to becoming a cobb dealer. Now they make everyone selling their stuff be an official authorized dealer, where before I was just getting it from a distributor. Think they did that to stop guys from selling accessports for $100 off.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

I was thinking about being a lot more nasty in my DMS comment but thought better of it, Drummond has been known to unleash lawyers to shut people up. Look up "Dog Ear Cracking DMS" tho. Good thing truth is an absolute defence in Australia now.

MCA is Murray Coote who used to do built Proflex locally. He's...... rather good to say the least. Actually whatever he charges, it's worth every drat cent and then some - it's the best this side of Ohlins or Rieger and in some applications even better. He also builds them so they can be upgraded - the base Black models can then be fitted with remote canister and more-way adjustments or whatever you want to upgrade with. KB's MCA set has lasted now 8 years absolutly completely untouched in the VR4. Quality and then some.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I think you guys have convinced me to go with normal STi struts with possibly some aftermarket springs. I don't want to buy cheaply made coilovers that won't last, and I have proper 50mm suspension for the rally stages on order.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

MrZig posted:

I think you guys have convinced me to go with normal STi struts with possibly some aftermarket springs. I don't want to buy cheaply made coilovers that won't last, and I have proper 50mm suspension for the rally stages on order.

Why not some Koni inserts, stock STi springs, and some new Whiteline tophats? :wiggle:

Edit:\/\/\/\/ forgot about the 05+ STi hubs and was thinking of his current wagon struts :blush:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 13, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You can sort of get them to go into sti struts but it's a lot of work. Revalve is the better option.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hello Subaru people. So a friend of mine's parents are selling this and since we have lots of Subaru people I thought there might be some interest.

1999 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
120k miles
Auto (rebuilt in 2012)
If you are interested and want more details call Sean on 978 609 0819.

Asking for $5900 (bit strong imo). Car is located in Melrose, MA.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

You can sort of get them to go into sti struts but it's a lot of work. Revalve is the better option.

Especially when you look at the cornucopia of options for the STI dampers that Feal offers. I almost wish I had gone with them for my WRX.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Anyone have use for a set of secondary air pump delete plates for the 2.5 turbo motor, a Legacy key with remote, or an unused OEM trailer hitch wiring harness? Clearing out the last of my Subaru related stuff and don't want to junk stuff someone might have use for...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
That towing harness work on an old Outback Sport? If so, I'll take it!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat Terrist posted:

I was thinking about being a lot more nasty in my DMS comment but thought better of it, Drummond has been known to unleash lawyers to shut people up. Look up "Dog Ear Cracking DMS" tho. Good thing truth is an absolute defence in Australia now.
Jamal should just come back to California, where not only is it a defense, but you can file an anti-slapp motion and they pay for your lawyers too. You may even be able to get damages beyond attorney's fees.
Almost wish people would sue me about my reviews on the internet.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 13, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought truth was always a defense against libel/slander in the USA, unlike Canada where it still isn't.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I thought truth was always a defense against libel/slander in the USA, unlike Canada where it still isn't.

It is, and now that more and more states are adopting CA's anti-SLAPP laws, more people can actually afford to defend against these stupid lawsuits.

zantar
Jul 30, 2002
I crashed my '95 Impreza in last week's Oregon Trail Rally:

Click the pic for the album with more images.

We took a corner too fast and started rolling/sliding down a soft 10' hill and stopped as shown against a tree. I walked away with no injuries . My codriver had a couple of tiny cuts on his hand and felt great. Overall I'm really glad the safety gear and roll cage worked the way it was supposed to and kept us from being harmed.

The A-Pillar on the passenger side shows the most severe damage; the impact with the tree really torqued the body so I probably won't be able to use it going forward. All of the panels are damaged, and the trunk is way out of alignment due to roll cage flexing, etc. The engine/tranny still works though!

I found an awesome replacement shell on craigslist but someone snapped it up before I could get to it :(

zantar fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 13, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

It is, and now that more and more states are adopting CA's anti-SLAPP laws, more people can actually afford to defend against these stupid lawsuits.

The Aussie laws got changed a few years ago from "you can still be defamed even when statement is true" to truth is an absolute defence and those suing for slander/libel need to prove statement was false (actually it's the defense needs to show the statement is substansially true but yeah if it's true, the person sueing automatically loses). Also there's an interesting further change in that a company with I think more than 10 employees can not sue for libel/slander against a private citizen.

quote:

Uniform legislation was passed in Australia in 2005 severely restricting the right of corporations to sue for defamation (see, e.g., Defamation Act 2005 (Vic), s 9). The only corporations excluded from the general ban are those not for profit[112] or those with less than 10 employees and not affiliated with another company. Corporations may, however, still sue for the tort of injurious falsehood, where the burden of proof is greater than for mere defamation, because the plaintiff must show that the defamation was made with malice and resulted in economic loss.[113]

quote:

I crashed my '95 Impreza in last week's Oregon Trail Rally:

poo poo, that sucks. Glad to see the cage did it's job tho

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser
Don't wanna sperg too bad a about little things, but I found this today: http://www.automd.com/recall/campaign_c70677/

I don't live in any of the listed states, although it does say 'registered or originally sold in' and my car was originally sold in Illinois. Also, I'm not the original owner. The carfax I got when I bought the car doesn't list that the recall has been done.

Does the recall still apply, and should I bother trying to get it done?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

spipedong posted:

Don't wanna sperg too bad a about little things, but I found this today: http://www.automd.com/recall/campaign_c70677/

I don't live in any of the listed states, although it does say 'registered or originally sold in' and my car was originally sold in Illinois. Also, I'm not the original owner. The carfax I got when I bought the car doesn't list that the recall has been done.

Does the recall still apply, and should I bother trying to get it done?

Remedy: Subaru will handle their vehicles and saab will handle theirs. Dealers will inspect the degree of corrosion of the front lower control arms, and will either rustproof or replace them. This service will be performed free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during december 2011. Owners may contact subaru at 1-800-782-2783.

Yes, you should bring it in to have them look at it at least.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

:drat: it almost looks like you bent that tree!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Amandyke posted:

Remedy: Subaru will handle their vehicles and saab will handle theirs. Dealers will inspect the degree of corrosion of the front lower control arms, and will either rustproof or replace them. This service will be performed free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during december 2011. Owners may contact subaru at 1-800-782-2783.

Yes, you should bring it in to have them look at it at least.

If you bring your car in for the control arm recall, you best make sure yours are extremely rusty.

The previous owner brought my wagon in for the recall, everything checked out fine (being a 2006, it's not as bad as the cars that had seen an additional four winter seasons beyond my car). I'm now illegible for the free control arms when mine start rusting out more in a couple years :(

Edit: And I'm pretty loving sure they didn't oil spray/rust inhibit the arms either. :colbert:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 13, 2013

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sockington posted:

If you bring your car in for the control arm recall, you best make sure yours are extremely rusty.

The previous owner brought my wagon in for the recall, everything checked out fine (being a 2006, it's not as bad as the cars that had seen an additional four winter seasons beyond my car). I'm now illegible for the free control arms when mine start rusting out more in a couple years :(

Edit: And I'm pretty loving sure they didn't oil spray/rust inhibit the arms either. :colbert:

The recall is because water gets trapped in the Control Arm. The tech at the dealer determines if the control needs replacing. If it's not rusted, the tech just punches a hole in it so the water can drain ongoing.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Well, about a month and a half after I wanted to switch from winter to summer tires I was finally allowed by Colorado’s spring time snow storm silliness to do so.  I switched from the Michelin Pilot Sport Alpin PA4 to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.  I never saw myself buying even one set of Michelins, for whatever reasons the brand lacked appeal for me.  I’ve had continentals, yokohamas, kuhmos, federal garbage, and probably a couple more all on another car.  One the STi, I have only had the stock Dunlop SP600 (or whatever).  Now I’ve ended up with a second set of Michelins based on research, talking to people, and my winter experiences.  Anyway, even though I’m no tire expert I just thought I would share my thoughts about the tires for anyone who might be or will be in the market.

Pilot Sport Alpin PA4:  I used these tires for about 7000 miles on my daily driven 2011 STi with relatively few mods, and only a Cobb OTS stage 1 tune in the power department.  In short, I am really impressed by these tires.  In cold (30*F and lower) and dry conditions, these tires feel comparatively sharp.  I wanted a tire that would preserve some of the handling fun of the STi in these conditions, and I feel like I chose well.  Turn in response is not super quick, but it’s still acceptably fun.  It’s not Blizzak level (driven some other cars) where you might as well send a telegraph around the world before your tires react.

In the slushy 30-40 degree rain/snow nonsense, these tires do really well.  My only complaint is that when changing lanes through the buildup that occurs along the lane lines, they can sometimes be susceptible to “ruts” and would jerk the car to one side or the other.  I feel like this may just be a function of the weather and the relatively large 245 tire size.  In cold rain the tires are flawless, never hydroplaned or felt nervous at highway speeds.

In powder or packed snow, these tires excel.  The grip seems hilariously high, but the rear can be broken loose for funsies any time.  I spent a lot of time driving with DCCD in manual mode about halfway with all stability/traction aids off.  The car was unstoppable and generally orgasmic to drive in these conditions (especially sideways).  Even with some ice added to the mix, I was able to accelerate from uphill stop signs a few times while mayhem ensued behind me as Jeeps, trucks, and other Subarus slid into each other.  I’d like to say that I believe straight up winters would do better, but I can’t because I did not ever want for grip in the snow except for when I tried to go up a 30 degree driveway with 2 ft on it.  Then I just put DCCD in lock and cruised right up.

As soon as the weather warms to 50 degrees, these tires start to get mushy.  At 70*F they are terrible.  Unfortunately, CO weather has these days back to back with 18 inches of snow days.  They are soft, loud, and squirm like no other tire I have felt before.  They definitely get the “greasy” feeling and breaking the back out is very easy, no confidence or feedback from the front, and forget about braking in a short distance.  But hey, that’s all to be expected.

As far as wear goes, I rotated the tires twice over the 7k miles and after pulling them off they look to have worn nearly identically.  I would estimate that I have another two winters on these tires, but I didn’t measure the reaming tread depth.

I would highly recommend these tires if your needs match mine, but would also recommend mud flaps because these tires pick up TONS of crap from the road and fling it around.

Pilot Super Sports:  I’ve only had these on for a couple warm days.  First impressions are that they are quieter and more comfortable than I thought they would be.  They also look great, especially from the back (removed my flaps for summer).  They fill out the stock BBS wheels much better than the Dunlops and seem super beefy for a 245. Even my girlfriend mentioned how big they look from the back.  When I pushed them up my favorite local road they felt awesome (up lookout mountain road for anyone from the Denver area or someone interested in lusting over some smooth, windy, bermy mountain side pavement).  I could not get the car to let go at all, but bear in mind that it was a public road so not track speeds and aggressiveness.  Braking felt great.  The steering wheel mush is totally gone and the tires react very well compared to the stock Dunlops.  I also feel like they grip better, but it’s been several months on winters so that could just be nonsense or my general disappointment in those Dunlops coming out.

I want to mention that one of the reasons I bought this set is because they are lighter than the competition at 24 lbs/tire.  The Rivals are 25/tire, Direzza ZIIs and Bridgestone RE11As are 27 a tire (holy heavy!).  The stockers are 24 lbs/tire.  I realize that Tire Rack puts these in different levels of performance and that the Michelins are 300 tread wear instead of 200 or lower, but I still feel like it was reasonable (considering Michelin’s advertised development path and goals) to cross shop them unless your goal is straight up track tire only.  They also have significantly more tread than the competition at 10/32 compared to 8 or 9/32 and a measly 7.2/32 for the Rivals.  Tread squirm was not noticeable and I think if you look up a picture of the tread design it might seem more reasonable.  In the past I’ve been able to feel tread squirm on new tires.  I also hope these tires will do better than the others I’ve listed in the rain and on the dirt, because it’s a Subaru after all.

I intend to drive these in the rain, off road, in high and low heat, and on a track over the course of the summer.  I will report my findings although I know most (all?) of you don’t care.  Ask me any questions!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

daslog posted:

The recall is because water gets trapped in the Control Arm. The tech at the dealer determines if the control needs replacing. If it's not rusted, the tech just punches a hole in it so the water can drain ongoing.

I have no extra holes in my control arms. There was a punch divot on the bottom of the arm from when they tested the integrity. The P.O. pointed out the punch marks on the forward bushing arm of control arms when I inquired about the recall. I asked my local dealer if a problem arises if I would be covered - and that was a "no."

I definitely know what rotten arms look like thanks to 8enders rust box Subaru I foolishly bought and passed on.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If mine ever have a problem I'm just going to get some sti control arms. Actually I'm probably going to do that anyway.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jamal posted:

If mine ever have a problem I'm just going to get some sti control arms. Actually I'm probably going to do that anyway.

I have a set of GC aluminium arms, but much like Seat Safety Switch, the JDM importer sent a hosed up passenger side arm. :negative:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sockington posted:

I have no extra holes in my control arms. There was a punch divot on the bottom of the arm from when they tested the integrity. The P.O. pointed out the punch marks on the forward bushing arm of control arms when I inquired about the recall. I asked my local dealer if a problem arises if I would be covered - and that was a "no."

I definitely know what rotten arms look like thanks to 8enders rust box Subaru I foolishly bought and passed on.

Sorry, I'm wrong on this one. My apologies. I completely misunderstood what my son was trying to tell me.

They punch the control arm, and IF a hole is made then they replace the control arm. If it doesn't make a hole, then they coat the inside and outside of the control arm with oil and spray wax :wtc: on it.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

I was under the impression that the Michelins had a bad rep for not really giving warning before letting go. No squeal, no under steer, just going, going, going, oopsie.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Pilot Super Sports:  I’ve only had these on for a couple warm days.  First impressions are that they are quieter and more comfortable than I thought they would be.  They also look great, especially from the back (removed my flaps for summer).  They fill out the stock BBS wheels much better than the Dunlops and seem super beefy for a 245.

Do you find them to be grayer in color that other tires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

burtonos posted:

I was under the impression that the Michelins had a bad rep for not really giving warning before letting go. No squeal, no under steer, just going, going, going, oopsie.

I hadnt heard that before. I can say though that I got no audible feedback when I pushed the PSS the other day, but I wasn't going super hard. Once I do an autocross or track event on them I guess I'll know better. When the winters broke loose in warm weather on dry roads they didn't squeal, it sounded more like TV static or something.

I can for sure see no / weird audio feedback being hard to deal with. The Dunlops were loud as hell squealing around a course but the warning often didn't help me as I found them to simply let go without any real progressive loss in grip. It's not something I really liked, but I found they would become more progressive at lower pressure. If I find the MPSS to be similar in this regard I'll probably do the same thing as I'm not a good enough driver and need all the help I can get.