Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations for a claw grip mouse? I picked up a G400s thinking it would be more comfortable but my hand just won't adjust and it is killing my wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Is a wireless mouse really viable for FPS gaming? Last time I tried them several years ago the lag was much worse than wired mouse. Now I see lots of complaints about battery life for the G700 so I'm guessing sticking with wired mice if you play FPS games is the best option?

The reason I'm looking is my G400 is starting to get worn down. The mouse loses connection mid-game as if it were disconnected. The cable is probably at fault here.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kerpal posted:

Is a wireless mouse really viable for FPS gaming? Last time I tried them several years ago the lag was much worse than wired mouse. Now I see lots of complaints about battery life for the G700 so I'm guessing sticking with wired mice if you play FPS games is the best option?

The reason I'm looking is my G400 is starting to get worn down. The mouse loses connection mid-game as if it were disconnected. The cable is probably at fault here.

I mentioned I have a Logitech m305, which is pretty much their basic wireless laptop mouse. I may not be as discriminating as some users (especially since most of the thread seems to be using Razers), but it didn't give me a lot of trouble. I am upgrading because I want a larger mouse, not because I had tracking issues.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Kerpal posted:

Contact support. It should still be under warranty.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
drat I didn't think of that, it's probably only 1 or 2 years old and has a 3 year warranty. Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Speaking of the G700, is it or the G700s any good? I'd love to try a different sort of fancy mouse, since I've been using Razer mice since like 2008.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

ImperialGuard posted:

Speaking of the G700, is it or the G700s any good? I'd love to try a different sort of fancy mouse, since I've been using Razer mice since like 2008.

Read about ~2 pages back, this seems to come up pretty regularly.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Think I might treat myself to a G500s to replace my old G5. Can we talk about mouse mats? Any recommendations for good gaming surface? I've got a Steelseries 4D (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Serie...=steelseries+4d) at the moment, it's pretty worn now. This looks cool: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-4HD-Gaming-Surface-Mousepad/dp/B002J9G5AE/ref=pd_cp_vg_h__1 - anyone used it, or have any other good picks?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

chippy posted:

Think I might treat myself to a G500s to replace my old G5. Can we talk about mouse mats? Any recommendations for good gaming surface? I've got a Steelseries 4D (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Serie...=steelseries+4d) at the moment, it's pretty worn now. This looks cool: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-4HD-Gaming-Surface-Mousepad/dp/B002J9G5AE/ref=pd_cp_vg_h__1 - anyone used it, or have any other good picks?
Similarly, any giant mats anybody can recommend? I'm using an oversized Razer Goliathus cloth mat in the control version(the more textured one) which is okay, but I'd like something similarly tough but a bit slippier and big enough to go under the keyboard too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, I never even considered that I could get my M310 replaced under warranty for a bad left mouse button. Still need to buy a replacement since it's not like I can go without a mouse but should get me a spare.

BTW, Logitech guy, this support page talks about a Unifying receiver for the M310, and I don't think it has one?

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17901/section/troubleshoot/crid/398/lt_product_id/6686/tabs/1,3,2,4,5/cl/us,en

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Look at the receiver and the bottom of the mouse. If the Unifying symbol appears on the mouse but not the receiver, the mouse is Unifying-compatible but the receiver is not. That just means that if you have a Unifying-compatible receiver you can pair the mouse to it instead of the receiver it came with.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Aw poo poo, I can't seem to find the 500s on Amazon UK. I have gift vouchers I want to spend on it. Are there availability issues at the moment?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Goo posted:

Look at the receiver and the bottom of the mouse. If the Unifying symbol appears on the mouse but not the receiver, the mouse is Unifying-compatible but the receiver is not. That just means that if you have a Unifying-compatible receiver you can pair the mouse to it instead of the receiver it came with.

Ah, neat. I still think that page is a bit confusing, since it comes with the nano receiver. But I guess most people don't care about the distinction.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I just got my G600 and so far I love it. I know it's a little odd to bring up but the packaging was really nice, not so much in terms of presentation but it was just so easy to get out compared to a lot of electronics packaging, which insists you spend ten minutes going at it with a paring knife while trying not to damage any cables. Thanks. It's really comfortable in my hand since my fingers tend to just lie on a mouse, but I can see how bad it would be for someone with a claw grip. The front six buttons are all really easy to hit but the back six are a little bit of effort. Overall a very nice mouse if you want all the sidebuttons. :)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

chippy posted:

Aw poo poo, I can't seem to find the 500s on Amazon UK. I have gift vouchers I want to spend on it. Are there availability issues at the moment?

I haven't seen it many places in the US either. Either they haven't shipped a lot of them yet, or vendors are trying to clear out their G500 stock at current pricing before putting the 500s on sale and having to sell the 500 for cheaper/having unsold older stock, or some combination of the two. I saw NCIX shipped some but when I looked on their site it was backordered... since I already have a 500 that I am happy with I am not in a hurry.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

http://smoothmouse.com/

OSX has mouse acceleration, just a different curve than Windows, but it also has lag. SmoothMouse let's you choose your acceleration curve (or have none) and eliminates the lag.

SmoothMouse is still a work in progress, but overall it's the best option by far. I do get one bug where the graphical cursor becomes disjointed from the area that actually clicks after exiting one program that captures the cursor (and it's only that particular program, not others that also capture), but moving the cursor to two corners of the screen realigns it. The 4th tick (default I think) is the same as 6/11 for Windows.

Thanks for posting, this is the perfect solution for anyone struggling with their mouse in OS X.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

duckfarts posted:

Similarly, any giant mats anybody can recommend? I'm using an oversized Razer Goliathus cloth mat in the control version(the more textured one) which is okay, but I'd like something similarly tough but a bit slippier and big enough to go under the keyboard too.

Get a Magic the Gathering playmat. No really. Some M:TG players play on what are essentially giant mousepads. Look for one on discount somewhere, or an off-brand mat. They are 24x14.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex_p...&qid=1367600245

(mats that can be shipped through Amazon Prime)

You'll pay a little more than you would for a normal mousepad, but honestly not much more, considering the size.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I just got my G600 and so far I love it. I know it's a little odd to bring up but the packaging was really nice, not so much in terms of presentation but it was just so easy to get out compared to a lot of electronics packaging, which insists you spend ten minutes going at it with a paring knife while trying not to damage any cables.

The packaging for my G700 was amazing. Honestly, I've been super pleased with everything Logitech I bought recently. From packaging to product to service.

The only problem I had was that I bought a refurb mouse to begin with, which I should have assumed would have some problems because mostly all refurbs do. And then when I call Logitech they send me a brand NEW G700 and tell me to keep the old one too.

I mean I don't think I'm advocating fraud since my thing was actually busted, but basically the story here is that if you legitimately bought a refurb and it's broken then Logitech will bend over backwards to send you a brand new device so I would literally not ever be worried about buying a refurb Logitech item again. So much peace of mind when you know they'll back it.

And of course I replaced the microswitches on my broken G700 and it's good as new so two mice for the price of one refurb :q:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations for a claw grip mouse? I picked up a G400s thinking it would be more comfortable but my hand just won't adjust and it is killing my wrist.

I use claw grip I guess; I didn't know that was a thing until I looked it up. I just got a Zowie EC2. It's kinda smallish, dead simple, no driver BS software. My hands are kinda smallish, but it's extremely comfortable to me, I'm in love with it so far. Really smooth, all the adjustments are hardware, the clicking mechanism feels pretty light and easy.

I came from a Deathadder and it was pretty nice I felt like, but the Razor software is straight up idiot garbage and the thumb buttons are out of position for me hand. With my new mouse the thumb buttons are exactly where I want them so I guess I got lucky.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I just got my G600 and so far I love it. I know it's a little odd to bring up but the packaging was really nice, not so much in terms of presentation but it was just so easy to get out compared to a lot of electronics packaging, which insists you spend ten minutes going at it with a paring knife while trying not to damage any cables. Thanks.

Thanks for the praise. We worked hard on the new boxes and it's nice to see them appreciated. All the refreshed "G" branded mice are in the same kind of packaging, plus their lids have magnets. Because magnets are awesome and I love them.

In the US, G500s is only going to be on Logitech.com and at Best Buy for some period of time that I don't know, because they negotiated an exclusive with the regional sales team. Europe is just starting to get the new products into the distribution channel so it will still be a little while before they're available there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh the website says they're in stock at the BB by my house! I will tell them Goo sent me.

edit: bought, in case anyone has any questions. My main first impression is that I do like the new finish a lot more, which is the main difference, I guess.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 4, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Goo posted:

Thanks for the praise. We worked hard on the new boxes and it's nice to see them appreciated. All the refreshed "G" branded mice are in the same kind of packaging, plus their lids have magnets. Because magnets are awesome and I love them.

In the US, G500s is only going to be on Logitech.com and at Best Buy for some period of time that I don't know, because they negotiated an exclusive with the regional sales team. Europe is just starting to get the new products into the distribution channel so it will still be a little while before they're available there.

It might be a little thing for some folks but seriously, Logitech makes awesome packaging that doesn't make me want to commit murder. Nice work!

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

I bought one of the Lenovo wireless touchpads (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/0C51641/460/41E9A3C3FB5A45A9AC47C56812E4188C) thinking it would be like a magic trackpad and immediately regretted it. The scrolling was awful and accelerated in the wrong direction. I installed Autohotkey after searching around for a way to reverse the scroll direction and it magically fixed it. Even without a script installed. I have no idea why, but now this thing is perfect. Haven't seen anywhere else online that mentioned this (or anything else) as a fix for the scrolling issues. Great little wireless trackpad now, and they seem to go on sale regularly.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
What's the best mouse to buy if I'm looking for something as silent as possible. I'm in a dorm room living with two others so the clicking can be really annoying at times.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Maybe one of those Apple button-less mice? A friend of mine uses one for work, they're pretty cool. It's essentially a touchpad spread over the dome of a mouse with your typical buttons mapped to the surface.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Etrips posted:

Missed this post but I went from my G9 (claw grip only mouse) to a G700 and after a day or two of getting used to it I claw grip it just fine.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Does the RAT 7 still have reliability issues? Does anyone who bought one a while back still use theirs?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

spider wisdom posted:

Does the RAT 7 still have reliability issues? Does anyone who bought one a while back still use theirs?

I bought mine a while ago, before they started putting the stupid claw emblem over their thumb rests.

Rock solid, even though the finish honestly isn't what I expected (brand new out of the box and the steel frame underneath has cosmetic marks). Cosmetic issues aside, it works perfectly is comfortable as hell if you don't claw your mouse (which freaks me the heck out when I see people do this). Only other caveat to it is the scroll wheel kind of sucks. But then so do most scroll wheels not made by logitech.

EDIT: No reliability issues on my end after a few years of use, the thing is solid for me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've gone a couple pages without seeing any mention of it, so just chiming in once again to say I (still) lovveeee my G9X. It's simply the best mouse I've ever used, and I'm really particular about mice. don't even know how it could be improved upon, but looking forward to the next generation.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I tried the Razer Deathadder in a store and found I kind of prefer that shape to my Mx 500.

I was wondering if there are some good mice with similar shape to it but cheaper. Not to mention better quality control than Razer, who seem to be rather shoddy and fail after two years.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Riso posted:

I tried the Razer Deathadder in a store and found I kind of prefer that shape to my Mx 500.

I was wondering if there are some good mice with similar shape to it but cheaper. Not to mention better quality control than Razer, who seem to be rather shoddy and fail after two years.

The g400s should be a nice replacement. I even have one for sale in SA mart! ;)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Etrips posted:

The g400s should be a nice replacement. I even have one for sale in SA mart! ;)

Nice try, but its the same shape as the Mx!

Besides you are living on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Riso posted:

Nice try, but its the same shape as the Mx!

Besides you are living on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

Oh whoops, sorry thought you said you prefer the shape of the Mx! My apologies.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Riso posted:

The Logitech G300 is a bit closer in shape and should be cheaper.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
By the way, after about 10 years, the plastic that presses the left button on the MX500 gets ground out and won't work anymore, unless you put some duct tape under the button.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Bonobos posted:

EDIT: No reliability issues on my end after a few years of use, the thing is solid for me.

That's so incredibly frustrating.

I bought one a couple years back that started having tracking issues almost immediately out of the box. I did an exchange with amazon for a replacement and that one worked just up until the end of the warranty and it started doing the same thing.

I traded emails with their service department but their only solution was to clean the laser.

That was the most I'd ever spent on a mouse and I loved the hell out of it. I would seriously consider purchasing another one if I wasn't so gun shy from the last time.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

mindphlux posted:

I've gone a couple pages without seeing any mention of it, so just chiming in once again to say I (still) lovveeee my G9X. It's simply the best mouse I've ever used, and I'm really particular about mice. don't even know how it could be improved upon, but looking forward to the next generation.

Bad news about that, they came out with their next generation of gaming mice and there isn't a refresh of it and the rumor is there is not one in the works :(

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I prefer to buy a bit more expensive mice, not 100€ but around 50-60€.

I've had 2 Razer copperhead mice for combined ~6 years, I broke the first one and I had the scroll wheel stop working on the other one.

Now I have a Razer Imperator 2012 since July 2012. I've had nothing but problems with this mouse. It is really comfortable to use and I love the precision but the technical side is just horrendous.
Firstly, after 2 months it just stopped working, the computer didn't recognize it, tried other computers as well. It fixed itself after a week and gets recognized just fine now.
Secondly, the scroll wheel feels loose, when I scroll down it scrolls up a bit and then down normally (and vice versa), even scrolls to the opposite direction a bit while I'm scrolling.
And now it has the double clicking problem which infuriates me to no end. Oh, and I have to plug it out at night because the light is on even after the PC shuts down.

I do have the receipt and it still has warranty. Should I just take it back and get it fixed/exchanged? I'm afraid they will just spout the usual "mechanical damage, your fault" crap and I will have just wasted my time.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

West007 posted:

I do have the receipt and it still has warranty. Should I just take it back and get it fixed/exchanged? I'm afraid they will just spout the usual "mechanical damage, your fault" crap and I will have just wasted my time.

Razer makes you do a few things to test out, but they are generally good about sending replacements. Not Logitech good, but I don't have any complaints with them. Although I do think you have to send yours back in first. Can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you had done it in the first six months they wouldn't even have blinked on warranty, but now: good luck.