Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

The Walking Dad posted:

^^Not everyone follows every piece of Daft Punk news and many are probably coming into this blind^^

Album has Phillip-Glass-Esque sounding material, straight up jazz, aboriginal sounding stuff, fantasia-esque soundscapes, classical strings, funk guitar, a myriad of drumming styles, Georgio Moroder. This album contains pretty much every style of music of the past 100 years in it for god's sake.

This album will piss so many people off.

lmao are you KIDDING me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

The Walking Dad posted:

Album has Phillip-Glass-Esque sounding material, straight up jazz, aboriginal sounding stuff, fantasia-esque soundscapes, classical strings, funk guitar, a myriad of drumming styles, Georgio Moroder. This album contains pretty much every style of music of the past 100 years in it for god's sake.

the irony is that instead of making the album seem vibrant and experimental, it feels corny (in an uncool way) and sort of blandly soundtracky. Like I said before, it's very kind of 90s prog, when old masters from the 70 would come into the studio and go "wow, now I can make everything sound crystal clear!" and you had We Can't Dance on your hands.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Doin' It Right stands out in a bad way. Shame they didn't make it the bonus track for Japan.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

More like Kraft Punk with how cheesy this album is :rimshot:

Really though, I'm happy this album exists. It's a fun time (cheese and all).

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Mike_V posted:

lmao are you KIDDING me?

No? I actually like the album, but if you think that the response to this wont be at least somewhat negative then you have your head in the clouds.

Unless you are responding to my hyperbole of "every musical style within the past 100 years", in which case, yes, I am exaggerating.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I love watching the reactions of people when a band releases an album that isn't exactly the same thing over and over. God forbid any creative group evolve at all. Music should always be taken on its own terms first, and then once you have a grasp on an album (which takes a lot more than one listen, btw) you can start to put it into the larger context of the band as a whole.

Also how anyone can listen to Giorgio by Moroder and hate on the drummer is beyond me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

"Touch" is a really good song, I'm pleasantly surprised.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

The Walking Dad posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Please point out where the 'aboriginal sounding stuff' is on this album.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Walking Dad posted:

Hi, I'm going to hire a dude to follow you around for the next week and constantly give you alternating wedgies and swirlies all day every day.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Caseman posted:

I love watching the reactions of people when a band releases an album that isn't exactly the same thing over and over. God forbid any creative group evolve at all.

Yeah that's exactly what all the criticisms are saying.

quote:

Music should always be taken on its own terms first

I agree.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like it I just don't love it. Mark me down as one of the many expecting a lot of mind blowing remixes from this.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So did Daft Punk sell their likeness or something?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It may not necessarily be get up and dance music, but it's still drat groovy and I like that.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Skeezy posted:

"Touch" is a really good song, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Touch should have been the last song on the album. I feel like it would have been a perfect outro.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Track 12, Doin' it Right, I can absolutely see them using as the last track in their live set if and when they do tour for this album. Just, the vibe it gives off - we came, we did it our way, it was great, and now we ride out.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

This tweet says that the drummers on the album are John Robinson Jr. and Omar Hakim.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

resident posted:

Touch should have been the last song on the album. I feel like it would have been a perfect outro.

No way, that scores a perfect ten on the cheese-o-meter for me.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I wasn't a fan of the album Human After All, but I loved what they did with the tracks for their live show. I'm not terribly impressed with Random Access Memories, but here's to hoping their next live set matches the awesomeness of the pyramid tours.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

Track 12, Doin' it Right, I can absolutely see them using as the last track in their live set if and when they do tour for this album. Just, the vibe it gives off - we came, we did it our way, it was great, and now we ride out.

They've said multiple times they're not touring this album. Whenever they play live again, it'll be music from their entire catalog. They'd rather this album be experienced on its own.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
3 tracks in and I love it. So different, so cool, I could chill to this or dance to it, feels kind of Discovery 2-ish which is sweet.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah this isn't really "get up and dance" tunes, it's just sit back and chill and have a fun time listening. I respect that.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Question for people who dislike it because of "cheese": do you like Discovery? That poo poo is cheese from beginning to end and I don't remember much complaining about it.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I loved the small sample leak of "Giorgio", but the actual finished track is freaking amazing. So many sounds. it almost feels like a whole album journey in one track. Simply beautiful!!

Only 3 tracks in, but I've replayed "Girogio by Moroder" 4 times in a row without listening to the rest yet, I love it so much.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
God drat Doin' It Right is HOT

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
My only real gripe with Touch isn't the cheese factor, it's Paul Williams' voice. I don't really like old guy singing voices.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Fragments of Time seems like it could be the intro to a 1990's sitcom version of Doctor Who or something. And I love it for that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, this is awesome reading all this. I'm planning on listening to it straight through tonight as I play minecraft or something chill and I love that it's so polarizing for everyone. I'm intensely interested in bygone retro stuff, so I'm expecting to like it.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I wonder how much funk all the people talking about how funky this album is actually listen to.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Caseman posted:

They've said multiple times they're not touring this album. Whenever they play live again, it'll be music from their entire catalog. They'd rather this album be experienced on its own.

Okay, "whenever they play live again that happens to be in the future after this album has been released."

They might not be touring "for" this album or to play just this album, but their next tour will be "in support" of this album.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Boywunda posted:

I loved the small sample leak of "Giorgio", but the actual finished track is freaking amazing. So many sounds. it almost feels like a whole album journey in one track. Simply beautiful!!

The moment that sold me on the album was the transition out of the clicking. Amazing song. Great album.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Wow, Beyond is wonderful.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

ShutteredIn posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Please point out where the 'aboriginal sounding stuff' is on this album.

Okay my bad, I thought I heard some didgeridoos on Motherboard but it was just my poor quality headphones.

Also how much does a week long contract with a wedgie giver even cost? I'ts been awhile since I've had to familiarize myself with the going rate.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 13, 2013

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I wonder how much funk all the people talking about how funky this album is actually listen to.

Earth Wind & Fire: Greatest Hits has actually been in my car CD player for years, but thanks for coming in to poo poo up the thread with your preconceived notions.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Asnorban posted:

Question for people who dislike it because of "cheese": do you like Discovery? That poo poo is cheese from beginning to end and I don't remember much complaining about it.

For real. I got poo poo all over back then for thinking One More Time was a great track.

Also one 2nd or 3rd listen, they should handcuff themselves to Nile Rodgers and throw away the key. Those three together make magic.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I have no doubt whatsoever that some stuff from the Tron sessions ended up on Motherboard.

E: man, the Todd Edwards track really disappears up its own rear end when you realize he's singing about the recording session he is currently participating in. It's got a kickin rad vocoder solo though.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 13, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Mr. Tibbs posted:

I guess my biggest problem with the album is that I really can't get over the cheesiness of it. That said, the Panda Bear track is pretty great.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
I can't wait for them to do remixes with these.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Fragments of Time sounds like it would be home on some grocery store muzak rotation.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

For real. I got poo poo all over back then for thinking One More Time was a great track.

Also one 2nd or 3rd listen, they should handcuff themselves to Nile Rodgers and throw away the key. Those three together make magic.

Wait, what? Really?

Doin it Right is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

AvidAcid posted:

it's funny that you're impressed by them "doing something different" when all the tracks are limp approximations of the worst that 70s disco and the cheesiest, most unimaginative adult contemporary has to offer. they've hired in a bunch of old people to secure an alibi for making the most generic, bloodless album ever. if you're seriously impressed by the drumming or any of the other instrumental work for that matter, you've been exposing yourself to seriously subpar music for your entire life.

This comes off as pretty pretentious and crybaby. I'll buy a couple of copies of the record to offset your whining thanks.

EDIT: Get Lucky sounds way better in context for some reason. I loved it before too though.

• Locked thread