Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah I had friends who were actually all musically pretty plugged in and they all made fun of me for liking lovely EDM Cher vocoder music. I knew it had something since it was all over the place that summer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!

I know, I know.

Maybe it is more that I think this album is cheesy and boring instead of cheesy and fun.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Action Serious posted:

This comes off as pretty pretentious and crybaby. I'll buy a couple of copies of the record to offset your whining thanks.

EDIT: Get Lucky sounds way better in context for some reason. I loved it before too though.

Pretty sure Daft Punk aren't exactly in need of monetary support, dude.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Action Serious posted:

EDIT: Get Lucky sounds way better in context for some reason. I loved it before too though.

Weirdly, I like the radio edit better. I don't know why, yet.

Also, Doin' It Right is loving amazing. There isn't a word to describe how great that track is. Beyond, Giorgio, Touch, Get Lucky are all fantastic.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Pretty sure Daft Punk aren't exactly in need of monetary support, dude.

Oh ok.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Just finished my first listen through and I'm not really digging the track order overall. I think it could have started with more oomph by pushing Get Lucky and Contact to the front.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
It really reminds me of ELO for some reason. It feels like an Eldorado-like concept album.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Action Serious posted:

Seriously. One of the most emotional moments of the album for me. I really like the extended version too.

gabi
Sep 10, 2008

Popcorn posted:

This is a tasteless adult contemporary prog-disco disaster of an album with sparkling Disney production values. It sounds like early 90s Genesis.
I don't outright hate the album, but that's the best description I've read of it so far. Giorgio by Moroder is great though.

I actually laughed out loud at the Get Lucky-Beyond transition, it's so jarring.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I think the first track is perfect, it's like a mission statement for the whole album. This is gonna be on repeat for a while. I can't wait for my freakin Vinyl.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Putting Touch right in the middle of the album was a bit of an odd choice. :pwn:

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

The drumming in Contact is all kinds of nuts. All of Contact is nuts.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I'm on Beyond and I can say without a doubt, this is the exact album I wanted. God drat.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
If there are any Limmy fans in the house, he's doing a live review of the album here: http://www.justin.tv/brianlimond

"The drums in Contact are no mad. They're drums. That's a man playing drums."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, that was a bit underwhelming. Georgio by Moroder is good and I like Get Lucky but I'm already burned out on it. Everything else was a bit dull and the Julian Casablancas track is loving painful.

I'll still get it, maybe it will grow on me but I'm feeling like it's pretty meh overall.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Holy poo poo those drums in Contact.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
Man, if you aren't dancing when Doin' It Right comes on, I don't know what the gently caress.

:iamafag:
vvv

Shadowgate fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 13, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Shadowgate posted:

Man, if you aren't dancing when Doin' It Right comes on, I don't know what the gently caress.
They're doing it right.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I like it, but it's not amazing, Get Lucky is god awful, and anyone who thinks the instrumentation is anything special doesn't listen to much music. Still a fun listen.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
If you think some of the commentary in this thread is bad, go take a look at the comments on the Daft Punk Facebook page. I kid you not there are people complaining that there are no drops or scratches.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

This album is okay. It isn't amazing but has a few interesting songs. I was hoping for a Daft Punk vibe of 70s electronic/funk but instead it's mostly a sleepy homage to cheesy light disco. There's seriously a lack of energy. I'm hoping for some good remixes to revive some of the tracks.

Pharrell isn't good enough as a singer to carry the tracks he's on, and Panda Bear was underutilized. Contact is a fantastic track, though. More of that, please.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I liked Contact and Get Lucky(after repeated listenings). Kind of liked anyways.

I think I'll just stick to all their old stuff(minus the Tron poo poo).

LoudLoudNoise posted:

This album is okay. It isn't amazing but has a few interesting songs. I was hoping for a Daft Punk vibe of 70s electronic/funk but instead it's mostly a sleepy homage to cheesy light disco. There's seriously a lack of energy.
100%

mcvey fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 13, 2013

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Chief McHeath posted:

If you think some of the commentary in this thread is bad, go take a look at the comments on the Daft Punk Facebook page. I kid you not there are people complaining that there are no drops or scratches.

There are scratches in Giorgio by Moroder, and the drums go with them :colbert:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I have listened to Doin It Right a weird amount of times already.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
The first 3 songs are loving amazing, the middle has some clunkers mixed in with some good/catchy songs and the last two songs are amazing. I really enjoy this album but I love cheesy vocals/good disco music. There is no real funk in this album so I don't get that label, but I think this album will grow on a lot of people in the upcoming months.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Dave posted:

I like it I just don't love it. Mark me down as one of the many expecting a lot of mind blowing remixes from this.

this is where I'm at after first listen. I respect it as an album and as a creative expression, I feel like the second half of the album is much stronger than the first half and I'm anxiously anticipating all of the remixes to come out of it.

It wasn't the immediate scorcher that I was hoping it would be but I'm okay with that. The first 5 or so tracks definitely had me considering canceling my pre-order of the vinyl though.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
Just got through my first listen.

I guess you can put me in the "not sure what I was expecting, wanted it to be awesome, ended up being way out of left field...and awesome" crowd. The album feels way more mature than anything they have remotely put out in the past, which works really well with their audience I think. I'm one of the fans that got hooked on Discovery when it first came out. That means that I got onto the Daft Punk train just like everyone else, but that was over 10 years ago, I was a young teenager that loved the sampling that Discovery put out, and most of the hard hitting Homework tunes too. Human After All was kind of a let down for me in the sense that I wasn't outgrowing my love for the sampling ZOMG ONE MORE TIME GUYS feeling, but by the time Alive came out I had finally sort of fell out of that era of sound and really enjoyed the blend that the live show gave me. So I guess what I'm saying is that this album isn't what most people expected but I think they will be happy to hear the results as it feels matured.

One criticism I think the album will take is that it may feel boring, or even 'tired' in the sense that it doesn't have that pizazz that other Daft Punk albums really shout with.

Also, is anyone surprised as I am that the drums in these songs came out so well? Totally unexpected. Hope to god that if they decide to tour again, it's going to incorporate that as well as other live performance senses that this album gives off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've had a chance to listen to the whole thing once now.

My early thoughts in random order.

1) I really like about 4 or 5 tracks on here... Contact, Doin' it Right, Giorgio, Lose Yourself, and Get Lucky aside from being a little played out on it. The rest I'm not passing early judgement on, as some may just need a further listen, but they aren't blowing me away at the moment.

2) That Paul Williams Touch track can gently caress off. It's a neat concept voiced by what sounds like someone's once-hip grandfather belting on top of it.

3) The Orchestral stuff is ok. Thats the stuff that may grow on me a bit more, I suspect.

4) The drums in some spots are just off the chain.

5) Overall the pace/mood of this album is just a bit slower than I think I was hoping for. Not many dancing in your seat/drive faster tracks.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Game of Love needs more love here though. If anybody loves Something About Us, you should love this song too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's pretty low key but it's not like there's no places to go if you need to get hard Daft Punk sounds and songs or a DJ who wants to kill you with a buzzsaw. It's a mid tempo album.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Really like Beyond

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Game of Love needs more love here though. If anybody loves Something About Us, you should love this song too.

Hell yes, I loved that track instantly. Also I don't get the hate for Instant Crush, that's a really catchy song.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Touch is probably the "eh, skip this one" track of the album. It's rare that an album doesn't have one of those in my experience. The rest is so good I can forgive it.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I can't get Green Hill Zone from the original Sonic game out of my head during Fragments of Time.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
The reviews made Touch sound amazing but I'm just not a fan. Otherwise, everything other than Fragments of Time is exactly what I wanted from Daft Punk. This is gonna be my album of the summer.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

holy poo poo giorgio :stare:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I think the best way I can express my dissatisfaction with this album is that it sounds like an album of session musicians. By that I don't mean "oh they collaborated with a lot of people and lost their purity" or anything nonsensical like that. I mean it sounds musically soulless and pristine, like a bunch of demo tracks designed to show off keyboards and drum kits in a guitar store.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Just starting my second listen through and Giogio just started and I just got all sorts of excited for what's about to happen.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm not feeling it. The only songs that I actually like (Giorgio, Get Lucky, Doin' It Right) are because of the other musicians playing with Daft. They sound a little tired out. They took a huge gamble and lost. Hopefully next album goes back to a more electronic sound.

Edit:

Popcorn posted:

I think the best way I can express my dissatisfaction with this album is that it sounds like an album of session musicians. By that I don't mean "oh they collaborated with a lot of people and lost their purity" or anything nonsensical like that. I mean it sounds musically soulless and pristine, like a bunch of demo tracks designed to show off keyboards and drum kits in a guitar store.
Yeah, this is my problem as well. I'm especially disappointed since this was supposed to be their "emotional album" and all.

vvvThat's what I mean. I consider singing to be playing along. Also, why isn't Panda Bear used more on this album?

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm not feeling it. The only songs that I actually like (Giorgio, Get Lucky, Doin' It Right) are because of the other musicians playing with Daft. They sound a little tired out. They took a huge gamble and lost. Hopefully next album goes back to a more electronic sound.
Nobody is playing with them on Gio or DIR. They're just vocals...

• Locked thread