Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Do OLED monitors burn in easily? I had a Galaxy Nexus with an AMOLED screen and it had noticeable burn-in after less than a year, but the pixels on that were a lot smaller and also only had 2 subpixels so maybe that exacerbated it?

My Galaxy S3 has burn-in from the notifications bar, but it's not particularly noticeable. And it may very well be caused by the 2-pixel Pentile arrangement used for the screen, I'm not sure. My bet is that OLED TVs and monitors would use better manufacturing methods. Maybe phones will as well, soon - a Japanese company recently showed off a 5" 1080p OLED with a proper RGBW sub-pixel arrangement. Currently the only OLED monitors available that I know of are Sony's Trimaster EL range of professional-grade monitors. 3 17", 3 25", all 1080p, ranging from about $4500 to $26,000, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I thought that burn-in on OLEDs was inevitable since the pixels themselves were emitting light as opposed to an LED where they filter out the backlight. I'd guess that since the pixels in a monitor have 9 or 10 times the area of those in a phone, they might take a lot longer to burn in but that's just guessing. I certainly wouldn't spend a significant amount of money on an OLED display until they've made burn-in a non-issue.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I thought that burn-in on OLEDs was inevitable since the pixels themselves were emitting light as opposed to an LED where they filter out the backlight. I'd guess that since the pixels in a monitor have 9 or 10 times the area of those in a phone, they might take a lot longer to burn in but that's just guessing. I certainly wouldn't spend a significant amount of money on an OLED display until they've made burn-in a non-issue.

It's possible - we'll have to see what happens with burn-in on LG's OLED models that are coming out now. I'd like to see about burn-in on the Sony's as well. Still, using a $6000 monitor to test for burn-in would really hurt.

It'll also be interesting to see what happens with the Galaxy S4's screen since it has a different arrangement.

edit: Ok, I found a link that says the Sony monitors have adjustments that reduce burn-in to the level of CRT. So that's probably not that bad.

Also: http://diginewsdigest.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/sony-showcases-30-and-56-inch-4k-ultra.html?m=1

:drat:

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 13, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
OLED displays still have a problem with the blue elements wearing out faster than the others. Even if you don't get burn-in, the display will still eventually have issues with color reproduction.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
I just realized this is actually more relevant here than the hardware questions that don't deserve their own thread, so I'm crossposting this in hope someone can solve my dilemma:

I just wall-mounted a 37" TV on the wall above my dual screen monitors and I want to use Steam's big picture mode for when I have friends over instead of huddling around my primary 23" LCD. I have an eVGA GTX 560Ti in my desktop, and I'm completely unfamiliar with DVI's output restrictions. My graphics card has 2 outputs, and they're currently driving a pair of 23" LCDs in extended desktop mode.

Is there any piece of hardware that would allow me to mirror my primary display onto the 37" television above without any sort of performance hitch? I've found all sorts of DVI splitters, but I can't find out whether they'll allow me to mirror a display when two are already connected, and if the graphics card will allow for that at all.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

EightBit posted:

OLED displays still have a problem with the blue elements wearing out faster than the others. Even if you don't get burn-in, the display will still eventually have issues with color reproduction.

Wait, are you sure about that? From what I remember, the issue with the blue pixels is an old one that manufacturers have at the very least taken great strides toward fixing. Also, I believe LG uses a method using only white OLED pixels behind RGB filters, so that kind of display wouldn't have the problem with blue. Samsung, by comparison, will use actual RGB pixels on its OLED TV, which may produce better image quality.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.
ok, rewriting post, because i was plugging in a cable not connected to the monitor...

no, i have my two old monitors connected and working, but my new 1440p Korean monitor isn't being detected by my computer it's plugged in with a DVI-D cable in the DVI-D socket and turned on, but it isn't detected at all by windows screen resolution.

it is detected by Catalyst Control centre, but i can't do anything with it

pic related

previously it was being detected as DVI-D but any attempt to use it would result in an error message saying "unable to save display settings"

RasputinVarez fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 13, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Are your other two monitors plugged in via DVI and HDMI? If so, you've run out of TMDS transmitters. The solution is to stick one of the other monitors on an active DisplayPort adapter. I say others because active adapters for single-link DVI/HDMI are $20-$30 and adapters for dual-link DVI are $100-$120.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

Factory Factory posted:

Are your other two monitors plugged in via DVI and HDMI? If so, you've run out of TMDS transmitters. The solution is to stick one of the other monitors on an active DisplayPort adapter. I say others because active adapters for single-link DVI/HDMI are $20-$30 and adapters for dual-link DVI are $100-$120.

I have one monitor connected with DVI, the other connected with a displayport adapter.

i just tried unplugging the DVI monitor, and it's made no difference to the D-DVI monitor at all

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Try swapping to the other DVI port. Sometimes manufacturers will use identical ports to save a fraction of a cent on bulk orders of DVI plugs, but only wire one of them as actual DL-DVI.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Try swapping to the other DVI port. Sometimes manufacturers will use identical ports to save a fraction of a cent on bulk orders of DVI plugs, but only wire one of them as actual DL-DVI.

I already knew about that but thank you, and it is in the right place

in fact, i remembered something about the switch

a few googles later i found what i was looking for, the switch on the ASUS 6950 switches between 2DVI and 4 Display ports and 1 DVI 3 Display ports and 1 D-DVI port

so now i got it detected and working and... oh gently caress me! what is this? i have never heard of anything like this.

EDIT, thank you to a certain user i know offline for telling me how not to break frames and get bans

RasputinVarez fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 13, 2013

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012

Well...

I was using a D-DVI cable i found laying around because i heard the one these came with were terrible...

now i'm using the one it came with, and this is the result.

it works, but... there are streaks through the image on the screen

EDIT TIME

After a little while the lines faded, and now it's perfect, I don't even see any dead pixels either!

X-Star Monitors need some time to warm up it seems, at least when they are first used. but it looks great and i would recommend it to friends

purchased from
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DP2-New-27-X-STAR-DP2710-LED-2560x1440-SAMSUNG-PLS-High-Glossy-Panel-Monitor-/130901344513
for $305. my only nit picks are that i need to get adapters for my mount because they only have 100mm mounting holes and this one doesn't have the tempered glass.

RasputinVarez fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 13, 2013

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

yanthrax posted:

I just realized this is actually more relevant here than the hardware questions that don't deserve their own thread, so I'm crossposting this in hope someone can solve my dilemma:

I just wall-mounted a 37" TV on the wall above my dual screen monitors and I want to use Steam's big picture mode for when I have friends over instead of huddling around my primary 23" LCD. I have an eVGA GTX 560Ti in my desktop, and I'm completely unfamiliar with DVI's output restrictions. My graphics card has 2 outputs, and they're currently driving a pair of 23" LCDs in extended desktop mode.

Is there any piece of hardware that would allow me to mirror my primary display onto the 37" television above without any sort of performance hitch? I've found all sorts of DVI splitters, but I can't find out whether they'll allow me to mirror a display when two are already connected, and if the graphics card will allow for that at all.

The easiest and cheapest way to do this would be to connect the TV via the mini-hdmi port on your gpu. Then flip your primary display to the TV and disable your lcd, when you have friends over. Splitting DVI is a pain in the rear end, passive splitters have signal strength problems and active splitters are grossly over priced.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
What the gently caress is that thing you've got displayed on the monitor? Oh, it's gaben

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
bro why do you have a 30" monitor orientated vertically dedicated to displaying gaben's face

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
So I'm finding myself very tempted to spring for this deal on the new Dell U3013 for $1275 shipped free. I have a GTX 680. Is that going to be enough to keep up with the U3013? I have no plans to go multi-monitor (no space for it anyway), so that's not an issue.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Calidus posted:

The easiest and cheapest way to do this would be to connect the TV via the mini-hdmi port on your gpu. Then flip your primary display to the TV and disable your lcd, when you have friends over. Splitting DVI is a pain in the rear end, passive splitters have signal strength problems and active splitters are grossly over priced.

Works for me. Off to Monoprice to order a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable, thanks! One was included in the original packaging and I just dug it out and it worked just as you described. Many thanks!

yanthrax fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 13, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Fourteen posted:

So I'm finding myself very tempted to spring for this deal on the new Dell U3013 for $1275 shipped free. I have a GTX 680. Is that going to be enough to keep up with the U3013? I have no plans to go multi-monitor (no space for it anyway), so that's not an issue.
You'll be fine.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!

Thanks, that's a relief. And obviously I meant the U3014 not U3013.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Fourteen posted:

Thanks, that's a relief. And obviously I meant the U3014 not U3013.

There's maybe a handful of games so far that couldn't run fully maxed at @ 1600p on my 3011/680 setup. My cpu is a oc'd 3770k for what it's worth. You'll be more then fine.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I've managed to snag a second monitor for work. Its only a 19in with a reported maximum of 1440x900. Is there anyway to force it to do 1080 to match my larger main monitor?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

As awesome as having a 5120x1600 desktop is, now I have to turn my head to look from one display to the other. Also, I should probably get a bigger desk.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
^Oh come on, if you're gonna bragpost at least make sure you're like... sporting the current generation or something.

Ragingsheep posted:

I've managed to snag a second monitor for work. Its only a 19in with a reported maximum of 1440x900. Is there anyway to force it to do 1080 to match my larger main monitor?

The maximum resolution of a monitor is the exact numbers of pixels it has.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

As awesome as having a 5120x1600 desktop is, now I have to turn my head to look from one display to the other. Also, I should probably get a bigger desk.

Pictures motherfucker!

I've entertained getting a second 30" or a 27", but my 2x22" + 30" combo is working fairly well for now. Maybe when I move someplace I'll have a dedicated office...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

movax posted:

Pictures motherfucker!
All I have is a cell phone camera :(

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
fuckin' gabened again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Yd4Fyq1qo

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Is ViewSonic considered a safe brand? I haven't bought a monitor since like, the early 2000s. I'm looking at this ViewSonic VA2406M. It's either that or I splurge a little more and get a Dell U2312HM from newegg for $210. I'm just planning on using it for games/web browsing/other typical goon poo poo, but I'm willing to go a little fancier than a TN because I like pretty colors.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GruntyThrst posted:

Is ViewSonic considered a safe brand? I haven't bought a monitor since like, the early 2000s. I'm looking at this ViewSonic VA2406M. It's either that or I splurge a little more and get a Dell U2312HM from newegg for $210. I'm just planning on using it for games/web browsing/other typical goon poo poo, but I'm willing to go a little fancier than a TN because I like pretty colors.

Just get a U2312HM from Amazon for $190

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LN1JEC...&tag=slicinc-20

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

All I have is a cell phone camera :(

Welcome to the club :cheers:

I've got 2 27's at work; I recommend angling the monitors closer to each other so you don't need to move your head as much. It also helps to cover up at least one of the bezels.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Here's my mouse pad.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I can get an ASUS VE247H from newegg for $130 as well. Would the Dell be worth the $60 premium?

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 14, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

fookolt posted:

Welcome to the club :cheers:

I've got 2 27's at work; I recommend angling the monitors closer to each other so you don't need to move your head as much. It also helps to cover up at least one of the bezels.
I've angled them a bit, but not that much, and I don't think I could stand the bezels overlapping like that. In actual usage I have a virtual machine on the secondary monitor and for that it's working out pretty well. It was pretty amazing when I loaded the color profile for the monitor and then the colors just matched without any dicking around. Never again TN.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

GruntyThrst posted:

I can get an ASUS VE247H from newegg for $130 as well. Would the Dell be worth the $60 premium?

Door to Door replacement shipping from dell and a pixel perfect guarantee on all ultrasharps is super hard to pass up. Plus a non lovely monitor stand built in, 4port usb hub, and display port. Only con is no hdmi, which isn't a big deal to me.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

Door to Door replacement shipping from dell and a pixel perfect guarantee on all ultrasharps is super hard to pass up. Plus a non lovely monitor stand built in, 4port usb hub, and display port. Only con is no hdmi, which isn't a big deal to me.

Would that go through Amazon or Dell(assuming bought from Amazon)? Is the warranty the same if you don't buy from Dell?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

z06ck posted:

Would that go through Amazon or Dell(assuming bought from Amazon)? Is the warranty the same if you don't buy from Dell?

Dell customer support said you only get a one year warranty if you buy from amazon.

Edit: or only the 30 day amazon return policy? Jesus display warranties are mindblowingly byzantine now.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 15, 2013

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Ordered a Dell U2312hm from Newegg and, and of course, right after I hit "submit," I started reading old 2010-2011 posts about this model's "Rev A00" panels being faulty/failing and newer revisions fixing the problem. There's a couple posts about it in this thread. But I figured since I'm in 2013, what are the chances?

Well, I got the box today, and the sticker says "Rev. A00, Manufactured March 2013." I'm reading a lot of posts claiming that Dell decided enough time had passed and they could get away with dipping back into the warehouse full of old A00 panels and start selling them again.

Is this just a neckbeard conspiracy? Some people who already have identical but Rev A01+ models are claiming that their 2013 A00s look yellowy side-by-side. I don't have another one to test, so I don't know it's true. Debating whether it's worth it to try and deal with Newegg's return policy or just live with what might be a kinda-refurbished new monitor.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I want a new monitor in the range of $100-200 or so, about 24ish inches. I use it 95% of the time for gaming and forum browsing. I read the OP but a lot of it kind of went over my head so I'm about to reread it. In the meantime though, can anyone suggest a monitor that would fit my needs/any particularly good sales? My current monitor is only 1680x1050 and 22 inches so I imagine almost anything will be an upgrade.

2) I want to use my old monitor as a vertical display, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Can I run them at different resolutions at the same time? (1920x1080 and 1680x1050?) How do I go about vertically mounting the old one? I guess I have to buy a VESA stand?

3) Is there any real reason to get 2560-1440 if I'm just gaming and forum browsing? I don't think most games I've played have even had a 2560 option. I just want something that looks decent and is a bit bigger/higher res than my current screen

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 17, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I want a new monitor in the range of $100-200 or so, about 24ish inches. I use it 95% of the time for gaming and forum browsing. I read the OP but a lot of it kind of went over my head so I'm about to reread it. In the meantime though, can anyone suggest a monitor that would fit my needs/any particularly good sales? My current monitor is only 1680x1050 and 22 inches so I imagine almost anything will be an upgrade.

2) I want to use my old monitor as a vertical display, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Can I run them at different resolutions at the same time? (1920x1080 and 1680x1050?) How do I go about vertically mounting the old one? I guess I have to buy a VESA stand?

3) Is there any real reason to get 2560-1440 if I'm just gaming and forum browsing? I don't think most games I've played have even had a 2560 option. I just want something that looks decent and is a bit bigger/higher res than my current screen

2. If the stand for it doesn't rotate, then yes, you will need a stand that can rotate, or mount it to a surface etc. You can mix and match monitor orientations and resolutions and no major operating system will care

3. 2560x1440 monitors are going to be well out of your $100-200 budget, and the only models I know of are 27". I love mine to death for gaming, web browsing, but mostly for working so I can pile up more windows without alt-tabbing. Most PC games will ask your drivers what resolutions your setup supports, which will be capped by your monitor's maximum resolution. This is why you don't see 2560x1440 as an option, and probably also don't see 1920x1080. You need a top-end graphics card to drive recent games at that resolution, so take that into consideration; console ports run fine for me though at that resolution on a Radeon 6870.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Something I was curious about - what's the largest size that consumer PC monitors are made in? Is there anything beyond 30"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

BreakAtmo posted:

Something I was curious about - what's the largest size that consumer PC monitors are made in? Is there anything beyond 30"?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/eizo-industrial-monitor-does-4k-resolution-at-36-inches-start-s/

Not sure if you'd classify that as consumer though.