Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
You can make jerky in a smoker just fine. Low temp (150 degrees for a little while then down to 110 or so until it's dry... Or just straight through at 110 if you want; I've never has a problem with that myself). You don't want more than a half hour to an hour of smoke iirc; jerky gets overly smoky quickly. Make sure the smoker is well ventilated.

All that said, I never did get the hang of smoking my jerky (just never tasted right) and I just went back to drying my jerky in the oven (convection oven, 110 degrees, fan on, oven door cracked open). Hope you have better luck.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Astronaut Jones posted:

Yes, put it in a dehydrator.

Ditto, I made jerky once in the smoker, dehydrator's way better.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Cooked up 4 shoulders with the sauce recipe from the first page. They came out amazing. Then used the bones and leftovers to make chili. It was Fantastic. Now I know what to do with the money left over from my move. Buy a big green egg.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Melthir posted:

Cooked up 4 shoulders with the sauce recipe from the first page. They came out amazing. Then used the bones and leftovers to make chili. It was Fantastic. Now I know what to do with the money left over from my move. Buy a big green egg.

I have a brand new BBQ, a new MES 30" with my fun new AMAZE-N smoker...and the next time I have an extra grand or so kicking around, I want a BGE. My huge deck will be naught but implements of meat cooking. And it will be good.

Well, once I fix the deck. Stupid previous owners not maintaining it, so a strip/re-paint a few years ago would have saved me from having to replace likely 1/2 the deck boards.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I got a green Brinkmann gourmet smoker and I'm pretty excited about using this son of a bitch. Now I'm a complete stranger to smoking food but what I've gathered I have to season the smoker first before I try to smoke a pork butt this weekend.

Is there a good place to find info on starting out with this vertical smoker? I have ordered a digital wireless temp probe since I read that you want to keep a constant temperature. I'll be reading through the rest of this thread as I go.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Trip report!

First ever run of homemade jerky, turned out fantastic. I started with a ~2 lb piece of london broil, trimmed off the fatty parts and cut it into ~1/8-1/4 strips along the grain. I ended up brining mine for about 30 hours since I had a hitch in my schedule and had to wait an extra day before I could dry it. The brine consisted of:

3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup worcestershire
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon onion salt
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons honey

Marinated in a ziplock for 30 hours, patted dry then onto skewers for the smoker. Had it in the smoker for about 1 hour with a handful of pecan chips, then into the oven at 140 degrees for about 6 hours to finish.

Turned out great and now I have a pound of fresh jerky that cost me about $10.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I hope you snagged a thermapen. That's really all you need.

Season the grill by smoking a bunch of stuff. Clean it, run a full cycle of heat in it as hot as your can and start smokin. You gotta start somewhere. The BBQ I put in when my grill was new was delicious. It's something that takes time.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Parlett316 posted:

I got a green Brinkmann gourmet smoker and I'm pretty excited about using this son of a bitch. Now I'm a complete stranger to smoking food but what I've gathered I have to season the smoker first before I try to smoke a pork butt this weekend.

Is there a good place to find info on starting out with this vertical smoker? I have ordered a digital wireless temp probe since I read that you want to keep a constant temperature. I'll be reading through the rest of this thread as I go.

Read the "Seasoning a new grill or smoker" part. The dry runs aren't really necessary. Get something cheap like a whole chicken and start with that, if you gently caress it up you're only out $5 in meat.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Anyone have recommendations on a remote probe thermometer that would work well with my 22" WSM? Ideally I'd love to get a wireless remote model so I don't have to walk outside to keep checking it. Even better if it had multiple probes for different meats and/or measuring the temperature inside the smoker itself.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Huge_Midget posted:

Anyone have recommendations on a remote probe thermometer that would work well with my 22" WSM? Ideally I'd love to get a wireless remote model so I don't have to walk outside to keep checking it. Even better if it had multiple probes for different meats and/or measuring the temperature inside the smoker itself.

I've got the Maverick ET-732, and have been really happy with it.

It's got two probes, one for meat and one that clips onto the smoker grate. You can set high/low alarms for both food and grate temperatures. The range on it seems to be plenty long. My yard is fairly large and it works throughout the entire house, even upstairs. Battery life seems to be good, as well.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm kinda hung up on which thermometer to get, the Maverick ET-732C or the iGrill.

The Maverick is $60, comes with a food probe and pit temp probe (with clip!), while the iGrill is $80 and includes no pit temp probe (this is another $20).

I'm leaning toward the Maverick because of the obvious cost benefit, but the iGrill appeals to my technolust.

Anybody used both?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm kinda hung up on which thermometer to get, the Maverick ET-732C or the iGrill.

The Maverick is $60, comes with a food probe and pit temp probe (with clip!), while the iGrill is $80 and includes no pit temp probe (this is another $20).

I'm leaning toward the Maverick because of the obvious cost benefit, but the iGrill appeals to my technolust.

Anybody used both?

I haven't used the 732C but I have used the 73 as well as the iGrill. I got the iGrill off of woot for cheap one day. I like it because of the interface on my iPhone.

I have had problems with the 73 remote losing signal with the base, which sucks, but that happens sometimes with the iGrill. I honestly like both, but I'm going to be using my iGrill tonight for a shoulder and brisket I'm doing.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Went to Wegmans, what a loving nightmare, full of loving humanoids, got a pork shoulder. 7 and a half pounds. Put a thin layer of mustard on it and some rub. I think it was grill masters. I'll experiment later with home made rubs and sauce eventually, I just have to pop the cherry of this smoker now! It's saranwrapped up and chillin in the fridge. Going on the smoker first thing tomorrow morning.

Keep the charcoals burning, add apple wood every so often, try to keep smoker temp at 225 and get thickest part of the pork at 185-190.

Is spraying the meat every so often necessary? I have apple cider VINEGAR in case. But should I have apple cider? Agh, once again with the paralysis by analysis. SMOKE. SMOKE.

SMOKE.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Parlett316 posted:

Went to Wegmans, what a loving nightmare, full of loving humanoids, got a pork shoulder. 7 and a half pounds. Put a thin layer of mustard on it and some rub. I think it was grill masters. I'll experiment later with home made rubs and sauce eventually, I just have to pop the cherry of this smoker now! It's saranwrapped up and chillin in the fridge. Going on the smoker first thing tomorrow morning.

Keep the charcoals burning, add apple wood every so often, try to keep smoker temp at 225 and get thickest part of the pork at 185-190.

Is spraying the meat every so often necessary? I have apple cider VINEGAR in case. But should I have apple cider? Agh, once again with the paralysis by analysis. SMOKE. SMOKE.

SMOKE.

Try rum + apple juice.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Get some woodchuck granny smith and spray that.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Astronaut Jones posted:

Try rum + apple juice.

This worked great for the one I cooked yesterday.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Parlett316 posted:

SMOKE.

I don't bother spraying. Every time you open the smoker, you add to the cooking time.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Trip report:

I couldn't find a weber grill that would fit over the the charcoal bin thing on my Brinkmann. So I used the second grate that came with it. Kinda ghetto I guess but the ash falls to the bottom and doesn't collect with the coals.

The first couple of hours it started to get pretty windy and rain out of no where. Awesome. Temperatures got up to around 320 so I started to remove some coals. After that the temps have stabalized to around 225 - 240. I guess pretty high but not much I can do. I'll have to mod this bastard so I can have a vent at the top and seal around the top. Only took the round top off once to insert the meat probe into the pig. I'd say after about roughly 7 hours the internal temp is 174 right now. It also looked quite delicious.

This has been quite enjoyable, can't wait to taste this sucker.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Made some armadillo eggs yesterday and did them on the ol' 22.5" Weber OTS, took about 2 hours at between 225-250. Goddamn these things are awesome. They were a big hit with my buddies.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

VERTiG0 posted:

Made some armadillo eggs yesterday and did them on the ol' 22.5" Weber OTS, took about 2 hours at between 225-250. Goddamn these things are awesome. They were a big hit with my buddies.

I hadn't heard of those but I normally do ABTs (with lil smokies) when I fire up the smoker. I'll have to try armadillo eggs next time!

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Currently have a couple of butts on the ol WSM and something occured to me.....

Has anyone tried making (essentially) burnt ends with pork butt? Seems like with the added fattiness of butt it might work. Then again it might not, didn't know if anyone had ever messed around with it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bob Mundon posted:

Has anyone tried making (essentially) burnt ends with pork butt? Seems like with the added fattiness of butt it might work. Then again it might not, didn't know if anyone had ever messed around with it.

If you've got your butts down to a science you can actually section them to get a bit more bark, but you'd need some seriously fatty butt to get decent burnt ends. Better left to brisket. Plus then you get to eat brisket.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Oh snap I forgot about this thread. I'm pretty pissed that Weber decided to turn the once rectangular fuel door opening into a tombstone shape. From what I've read you used to be able to flip the door upside down and prop it open letting more air in and raising the temp. Right now I've got chicken halves on, trying to run em around 300-325 but with every vent open I'm not breaking 225-250. I had the same problem around thanksgiving when I had a turkey on and couldn't get to 350.

I think next weekend I'm going to bust metabo 6" with a cutoff wheel and fix it's little red wagon.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Bob Mundon posted:

I had the misfortune to visit Space Aliens in Minnesota. They attempt to make a burnt ends version of pulled pork. It was like eating pencil erasers.

http://spacealiens.com

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fps_bill posted:

Oh snap I forgot about this thread. I'm pretty pissed that Weber decided to turn the once rectangular fuel door opening into a tombstone shape. From what I've read you used to be able to flip the door upside down and prop it open letting more air in and raising the temp. Right now I've got chicken halves on, trying to run em around 300-325 but with every vent open I'm not breaking 225-250. I had the same problem around thanksgiving when I had a turkey on and couldn't get to 350.

I think next weekend I'm going to bust metabo 6" with a cutoff wheel and fix it's little red wagon.

The pictures on their site still show the normal rectangle. Can you post a picture of yours? Does it still open from the top?

How stupid.

I've got about another hour left on this butt. I'm going to go to bed covered in barbecue sauce.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

cornface posted:

The pictures on their site still show the normal rectangle. Can you post a picture of yours? Does it still open from the top?

How stupid.

I've got about another hour left on this butt. I'm going to go to bed covered in barbecue sauce.

Yes it still opens from the top. I think i read somewhere that they only changed it on the 22.5" model and left the little guy alone, not sure but I'm cutting mine to be a rectangle.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
They probably did that to help with air leakage .. those doors have always been notorious for not fitting properly and letting in too much air, which leads to not being able to keep the smoker running as cool as you may want. Some gunk will build up in there and make for a better seal. I'd leave it as is.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Did these baby backs today for Mother's Day.

Took just over 4 hours at 250, using Royal Oak lump and two 200g additions of hickory wood chips.

They were spicy as hell, which isn't surprising given that I used a habanero garlic rub, heheh.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rigeek posted:

They probably did that to help with air leakage .. those doors have always been notorious for not fitting properly and letting in too much air, which leads to not being able to keep the smoker running as cool as you may want. Some gunk will build up in there and make for a better seal. I'd leave it as is.

But he wants to be able to run it hotter, not cooler.

Maybe instead of cutting it you can just drill a small hole on the body near the door and string a piece of wire between the hole and the door latch?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

cornface posted:

But he wants to be able to run it hotter, not cooler.

Maybe instead of cutting it you can just drill a small hole on the body near the door and string a piece of wire between the hole and the door latch?

He could also just rig up a blower to stoke that thing rather than hacking it to bits.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Astronaut Jones posted:

He could also just rig up a blower to stoke that thing rather than hacking it to bits.

That is a bit more involved than just drilling a hole and sticking a piece of picture wire through it, though.

Pork content:

Right over 8lbs, took about 13 hours. Ran out of apple so did a pecan/cherry mix. I can't really tell a difference, honestly.

I'm not sure why the bark on this one came out so much thicker than the last couple. I think maybe I used a different ratio of white/brown/turbinado, but(t) it will remain a delicious mystery.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Had my pulled pork come out a little dry yesterday. Was at 225-230 pretty much the whole way, and pulled it at 195. Is my approach wrong, is it possible to trim too much fat, or do some cuts just come out dryer than others?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Astronaut Jones posted:

Like the PartyQ from BBQ Guru, they're $130: http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/Party%20Q

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Bob Mundon posted:

Had my pulled pork come out a little dry yesterday. Was at 225-230 pretty much the whole way, and pulled it at 195. Is my approach wrong, is it possible to trim too much fat, or do some cuts just come out dryer than others?

I've always pulled mine at 190 and it's always great. At a low temp it's usually a decent amount of time between 190 to 195, so I'd think about pulling it sooner. You can always rig a pan in the smoker for drippings, soften it with a little hot water, de-fat, and mix it back into the meat after pulling for some additional moisture/flavor.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

GigaFool posted:

I've always pulled mine at 190 and it's always great. At a low temp it's usually a decent amount of time between 190 to 195, so I'd think about pulling it sooner. You can always rig a pan in the smoker for drippings, soften it with a little hot water, de-fat, and mix it back into the meat after pulling for some additional moisture/flavor.

When it hits 190 or so jab it with something pointy in a few spots. If it goes in with very little resistance, it is probably done. If not, try again in 30-60 minutes. You can also tug on the bone. It should be loose and come out fairly easily.

Sometimes they are ready to pull at 190, sometimes not until 200+. It really just depends on the pig, how the fat and connective tissue is distributed, the phase of the moon, how early you started drinking, etc.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am very close to buying a smoker. I now have a place to put it.

I am getting a WSM 18" I think. I went to a bbq festival a few weeks ago and looked at both of them and the 22" seems way too big for the amount I will realistically cook.

I am looking at getting this [url=http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html?whence=#MoreInfoTab]kit[]/ur/] from ThermoWorks. It is like $130.

I like the idea of having something with robust and easily replaceable probes and like that I can use the meter for other stuff just by buying different probes. Most of the other ones I have been looking at seem to be pretty fragile at the wire-probe junction and I am kinda a brute.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Perfect spot. You can have a smoker and a La Caja China there too.

I guess $130 is ok for a temp probe, but when it gets that high I have a hard time just not talking myself into a Wifi Stoker. At least with the Thermapen I can use it for the rest of my cooking.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

VERTiG0 posted:

Like the PartyQ from BBQ Guru, they're $130: http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/Party%20Q

Or, the HeaterMeter that a few of us have built (which kicks the WiFi Stoker's rear end.) :)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Astronaut Jones posted:

Or, the HeaterMeter that a few of us have built (which kicks the WiFi Stoker's rear end.) :)

welp, project time. Did you grab a case from one of the TVWBB guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

sellouts posted:

welp, project time. Did you grab a case from one of the TVWBB guys?

Yup, I think I posted some pics of it a few pages back. The 4.0 build is a really fun project.