Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Disillusionist posted:

I am working on a project on race portrayals / racism in video games, leaning towards the fantasy genres.

Arcanum plays a lot like the first two Fallouts, and has a race system similar to the Elder Scrolls. Most of the racial politics takes a back seat to the magic-technology conflict, but npcs'll treat you different depending on your race a lot of the time.

On that subject, the Fallout series, especially 2, have some interesting "race" relations between humans, Ghouls (humans who were hideously mutated by radiation) and Super Mutants (Humans mutated into dumber versions of The Incredible Hulk by a retrovirus).

Another Bioware RPG, Dragon Age: Origins has a lot of racial conflict in it, unsurprising given how much it cribs from Tolkien. The expansion, Awakening deals with the Orc knockoffs gaining sentience, though it's not the focus.

If you can get your hands on a PS3, make sure to give Valkyria Chronicles a try, although that might be a little too close to "real world" racism.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Are there any good lesser known platformers out there? I like me a good run n' jump that's got a little bit of speed behind it.

Rayman Origins, Mario's 2D ventures, even the Super Meat Boy types to a extent are all good to me.

Fluidity, for WiiWare.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I'm going to ask for suggestions even though we will probably have played them all already.

There's a group of three of us who all kind of bounce from game to game. I'm reasonably certain we've played everything co-op, but I'm always looking for more.

Recently I've been hungry for a game that requires some strategy and coordination for problem solving, resulting in challenge and satisfaction. It's probably fuelled by the fact that we're currently playing Neverwinter Online and the gameplay consists of "everyone follow the glowing line and hit everything until it dies." What I REALLY want is a three person version of WoW raids, where each person has a specific role (beyond basic "tank heal kill" class roles...) and there is scripting and a sequence of events that must play out to be successful. But not requiring 22 other assholes to fill out our group before we can go...

Probably the best game for this has been DDO so far, because even when we only had two or three of us, we could take the NPC companions and it was like solving an additional puzzle getting the NPCs to fulfill roles designed to be filled by humans (like coordinating the NPCs to stand on switches or pull levers at the same time all the human players did. And then watching them all path through the lava and die :v: ... :ughh:)

But now I'm looking for something new. MMO suggestions are fine, but they're probably less likely to scale to a group of three which is all we've had lately. Also we've probably played them all already...

[edit]I came back to say the optional bosses in Borderlands 2 were awesome what with the turning valves at strategic times and the mini-bosses providing shields and whatever else. More games that include things like that.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 14, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Disillusionist posted:

I am working on a project on race portrayals / racism in video games, leaning towards the fantasy genres. Can anyone recommend a game in which race plays a part in the plot or gameplay? For example, I'm using Skyrim as one of my case studies for two reasons. One, the player chooses their "race" and each race option has different associated attributes. Two, because racism is a large part of the plot, with the Stormcloaks and Aldmeri Dominion both displaying open racism towards specific groups. Mass Effect is another example of a game I'm using, because of the multiple instances of racism, xenophobia and genocide depicted in the game.

I'm trying to avoid real-world racism, so a game like Bioshock Infinite doesn't fit what I'm looking for. If anyone could suggest a fantasy or sci-fi game with race, racism or genocide as salient themes that would be great. I am going to play all of the games in the course of my study, so I need Xbox 360 or PC games preferably.

The Witcher and its sequel for sure.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Disillusionist posted:

I'm trying to avoid real-world racism, so a game like Bioshock Infinite doesn't fit what I'm looking for. If anyone could suggest a fantasy or sci-fi game with race, racism or genocide as salient themes that would be great. I am going to play all of the games in the course of my study, so I need Xbox 360 or PC games preferably.

Various bits of the Fallout series feature racism against ghouls.

I actually found imagined racism slightly ridiculous when I played Skyrim - I played one of the lizard creatures. This meant that whenever anyone referred to me as "Dragonborn", I couldn't help but imagine that it was actually a racial slur against my character :v:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a F2P MMO with an active combat system that isn't "push button, auto-attack mans." Also, Not having to sit in two hour long instances to advance my character is a must.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a F2P MMO with an active combat system that isn't "push button, auto-attack mans." Also, Not having to sit in two hour long instances to advance my character is a must.

Have you looked at TERA?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mdh1975 posted:

Have you looked at TERA?

Isn't that the game with all the pedos? Is there a Tera Goon Griefing Group? That might be fun.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Turtlicious posted:

I enjoyed Vindictus. Twitch brawler gameplay, not horribly grindy, instances are quite short.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Disillusionist posted:

I am working on a project on race portrayals / racism in video games, leaning towards the fantasy genres. Can anyone recommend a game in which race plays a part in the plot or gameplay? For example, I'm using Skyrim as one of my case studies for two reasons. One, the player chooses their "race" and each race option has different associated attributes. Two, because racism is a large part of the plot, with the Stormcloaks and Aldmeri Dominion both displaying open racism towards specific groups. Mass Effect is another example of a game I'm using, because of the multiple instances of racism, xenophobia and genocide depicted in the game.

Morrowind is probably a good example to look at from multiple points of view. A lot of the lore and setting was written by one or two guys who don't seem to have had much contact with the rest of the Bethesda team; the entire setup and backstory is basically a huge, tragic tale of racism, colonialism and imperialism, the suffering that continues under supposed amnesty and equality, and the struggle to prove anything when history is a malleable political tool and you happen to be denied a voice. The player's role in righting ancient wrongs is set in motion by the Emperor of the colonising force itself, and can easily be viewed as the final legitimating nail in the coffin, hiding continuing colonisation and oppression behind the guise of equality. You have to dig deeper than the surface - it's easy to play/see the game as a much simpler tale about being a big hero dude killing an evil god - but this isn't subtext, it's genuinely there and it's at the heart of the game, and probably more effective for being so easily to overlook under the assumption that what you're doing is right and the rude ungrateful natives will come around in the end. You're not just a stranger in a strange land, there's a reason they reject you as "Outlander". You're basically bringing the White Man's Burden to Morrowind, they know it, your bosses know it, and the only one who might not is you - both you the character and you the player.

There's also a side faction that was sadly cut down for release about the most traditional of the Great Houses clinging to their ancestral rights to slavery and the Empire basically painting themselves as great emancipators. It's not really fleshed out enough to do much with, though.

On the other hand, the lunatics who designed the character system and thought it was a good idea literally gave black people a penalty to intelligence.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Thanks everyone who replied. I should've mentioned that I'm using Dragon Age: Origins and the Fallout games but I'm glad I'm not way off base then.

So far my list includes:

Mass Effect Series
Elder Scrolls III-V
DA:O
Fallout 3/NV

and I'll add The Witcher and give Arcanum a look. I was hoping to avoid having to use real-world racism, but if I don't get enough fantasy material I'll look at some of those games. Besides Bioshock Infinite and Valkyria Chronicles, any suggestions? I feel like Resident Evil 5 may be worth considering even if racism isn't an in-game theme.

Thanks again!

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Are there any good lesser known platformers out there? I like me a good run n' jump that's got a little bit of speed behind it.

Rayman Origins, Mario's 2D ventures, even the Super Meat Boy types to a extent are all good to me.

It is ridiculously hard but Mushroom Kingdom Fusion is definitely worth checking out, basically all the mario platformers mashed up with every 2d game in existence.

Edit: Apparently there is a side project called Super Mario Fusion Revival which is less expansive and much more recently updated.

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 14, 2013

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Turtlicious posted:

Warframe's probably worth a look.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Have you tried N? It's fast, fun platforming, kinda Super Meat Boy-ish.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Speaking of Fallout, is there anything else like the first two games? Boring old turn-based RPG without state-of-the-art graphics but with clever/interesting dialogue/storylines?

tips
Feb 16, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Super House of Undead Ninjas and Dustforce.

Fair warning though, Dustforce owns but you have to be some kind of austistic platforming genius to even see the halfway point.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

Arcanum plays a lot like the first two Fallouts, and has a race system similar to the Elder Scrolls. Most of the racial politics takes a back seat to the magic-technology conflict, but npcs'll treat you different depending on your race a lot of the time.
There's also interesting backdrop and quest on the ogre/halfling relations, really creepy poo poo. The game also loves talking about human women being raped by ogres.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm looking for a TPS/RPG hybrid with good replayability.

I played the heck out of Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect. I also recently enjoyed Binary Domain.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bouchacha posted:

There's also interesting backdrop and quest on the ogre/halfling relations, really creepy poo poo. The game also loves talking about human women being raped by ogres.

You fool! I wanted him to experience the :gonk: firsthand! Now you've ruined the surprise.

prefect posted:

Speaking of Fallout, is there anything else like the first two games? Boring old turn-based RPG without state-of-the-art graphics but with clever/interesting dialogue/storylines?

The Geneforge Series is kind of like what a pokemon game, done in the infinity engine, would be. They even use the same drat plot each game. Again, Arcanum is pretty excellent despite a few :gonk: areas. You also might enjoy Jagged Alliance 2, but that's a little closer to X-COM.

monster on a stick posted:

I played the heck out of Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect. I also recently enjoyed Binary Domain.

The new Fallouts have a third person camera option, but they're probably better played in first person mode. I'd advise you to steer clear of 3 though; it's still buggy as hell and saddled with GFWL. There's also Mars: War Logs, but I hear it's very... off. Kind of like playing a bad 80's sci-fi film.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 14, 2013

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Seconding Fallout: New Vegas, though you might prefer first-person as stated; the Deus Ex games are good FPS RPG's if you're willing to stretch even further and haven't played them yet. As for War Logs, well, this (50-minute, though you probably don't need to watch it all) video gives a good feel for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WYrvzRHFeI

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

The new Fallouts have a third person camera option, but they're probably better played in first person mode. I'd advise you to steer clear of 3 though; it's still buggy as hell and saddled with GFWL. There's also Mars: War Logs, but I hear it's very... off. Kind of like playing a bad 80's sci-fi film.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm one of those unfortunate souls who gets sick from first person though. :( The only ones I've been able to play were the original Portal (in doses, like a test chamber or two at a time followed by a break) and Deus Ex: HR (which isn't entirely in first-person due to all the sneaky stuff and conversations.)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

There's some poop you have to go through to make it playable in English until the translation comes around but Phantasy Star Online 2 has very active combat and is real fun to play in short bursts too.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Turtlicious posted:

Neverwinter, definitely. I think this is the first MMORPG I've ever played where I've legitimately enjoyed the combat.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Disillusionist posted:

Thanks everyone who replied. I should've mentioned that I'm using Dragon Age: Origins and the Fallout games but I'm glad I'm not way off base then.

So far my list includes:

Mass Effect Series
Elder Scrolls III-V
Fallout 3/NV

and I'll add The Witcher and give Arcanum a look. I was hoping to avoid having to use real-world racism, but if I don't get enough fantasy material I'll look at some of those games. Besides Bioshock Infinite and Valkyria Chronicles, any suggestions? I feel like Resident Evil 5 may be worth considering even if racism isn't an in-game theme.

Thanks again!

You could try the Abe's Odyssey series.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Disillusionist posted:

So far my list includes:

Mass Effect Series
Elder Scrolls III-V
Fallout 3/NV

Thanks again!

Another one that might work for you is Chrono Trigger, if you can find a way to play SNES games easily (or maybe read one of the Let's Plays). It's not particularly subtle, but one of the central conflicts is between humans and mystics (sentient creatures of myth).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Disillusionist posted:

So far my list includes:

Mass Effect Series
Elder Scrolls III-V
Fallout 3/NV

Thanks again!

Does the portrayal of racism need to be particularly well handled? Because if there's room for games that use racism, and use it kinda ham-handedly, I'd recommend basically any JRPG with a racism subplot.

Tales of Symphonia or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance come to mind.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cake Attack posted:

Does the portrayal of racism need to be particularly well handled? Because if there's room for games that use racism, and use it kinda ham-handedly, I'd recommend basically any JRPG with a racism subplot.

Tales of Symphonia or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance come to mind.

Radiata Stories, too.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I haven't seen it come up too often so I hope this isn't a major
eye roll type question, but what the hell am I supposed to play to get me to stop playing Dark Souls?

I've got over 200 hours in which I've never sunk into a game before. This game just scratches all the right itches for me. Dress up fun, great combat, RPG build paths, lore.

I typically stick to third person action games, I'm not all that good with a kb&m (even though I only play games on pc oddly). I made due for Terraria so I guess its not out of the question. I know there are a ton of highly praised first person RPGs, but FP has never really been my bag.

Heres some other games i've enjoyed:
Saints Row 3
Both Arkhams
Assassins Creed 2 (all 3)
Bastion
Skyrim
Prototype 1 ( not so much 2)
Hotline Miami

Also is there a game that's highly regarded for it's sword combat? I really dig the parries and ripostes in DS, is there anything that takes that to another level?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
How about the same level? Buy Demon's Souls. I bought a PS3 for it because I loved Dark Souls. 100% worth it, if there's ever been a game to buy a console for, it's that one. It's as good as Dark Souls, maybe even better depending on your taste.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Cast No Engine posted:

Also is there a game that's highly regarded for it's sword combat? I really dig the parries and ripostes in DS, is there anything that takes that to another level?
Mount & Blade?

Also, check out Sleeping Dogs. It's pretty much a GTA game, but with (lots of) Arkham style unarmed combat.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Cast No Engine posted:

I haven't seen it come up too often so I hope this isn't a major
eye roll type question, but what the hell am I supposed to play to get me to stop playing Dark Souls?

I've got over 200 hours in which I've never sunk into a game before. This game just scratches all the right itches for me. Dress up fun, great combat, RPG build paths, lore.

I typically stick to third person action games, I'm not all that good with a kb&m (even though I only play games on pc oddly). I made due for Terraria so I guess its not out of the question. I know there are a ton of highly praised first person RPGs, but FP has never really been my bag.

Heres some other games i've enjoyed:
Saints Row 3
Both Arkhams
Assassins Creed 2 (all 3)
Bastion
Skyrim
Prototype 1 ( not so much 2)
Hotline Miami

Do you have a console? You could try Way of the Samurai 3 or 4 if you can find them for cheap. It is hit or miss with most but for little money it is worth a shot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm one of those unfortunate souls who gets sick from first person though. :( The only ones I've been able to play were the original Portal (in doses, like a test chamber or two at a time followed by a break) and Deus Ex: HR (which isn't entirely in first-person due to all the sneaky stuff and conversations.)

Have you tried adjusting the Field of View (FOV?) That's likely the cause of your motion sickness and there's ways to tweak it in most games.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mokinokaro posted:

Have you tried adjusting the Field of View (FOV?) That's likely the cause of your motion sickness and there's ways to tweak it in most games.

This works for me. When I get motion sickness, it's never because of framerate issues, screen tearing, or quick, disorienting movements of the camera, it is because the FoV is too narrow. 100% of the time.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Trying to think of some games for an older person, works as a professional and is interested in politics and economics, not so much history. Is completely gaming illiterate. So far I have:

Capitalism 2
Tycoon game?
Victoria 2
Political Machine.

Doesn't have to be a strategy game. Titles running on an older computer would be preferred.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Are there any good, modern Sim-City style games? I really want to try one out, but I won't buy the new one. Nuts to EA.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Narzack posted:

Are there any good, modern Sim-City style games? I really want to try one out, but I won't buy the new one. Nuts to EA.

I've been playing Tropico 4 almost non-stop for the past few weeks. I say give it a shot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Narzack posted:

Tropico 4 is indeed a good one. Make sure you get modern times with it as it's a pretty significant expansion.

I'd also recommend ANNO 2070. It's not really the same as SimCity but it scratches the itch quite well for me. Be warned it does have an online activation DRM (but not constant, though being online while playing adds a few extra interesting features.)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

prefect posted:

To add to what was already posted, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands is older, but still a great game with a lot of writing and good quests. It's very much like the original Fallout, I was actually surprised by the closeness in style and quality. There's a pretty good retrospective that'll let you know what you're in for - not sure where the screenshots went, but they hardly matter here.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Tropico 4 is indeed a good one. Make sure you get modern times with it as it's a pretty significant expansion.

I'd also recommend ANNO 2070. It's not really the same as SimCity but it scratches the itch quite well for me. Be warned it does have an online activation DRM (but not constant, though being online while playing adds a few extra interesting features.)

Cool, thanks. I had a friend recommend Tropico 4, as well. Do Tropico and Anno have cool stuff like road layouts and civil management and stuff? Disasters are cool, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Narzack posted:

Cool, thanks. I had a friend recommend Tropico 4, as well. Do Tropico and Anno have cool stuff like road layouts and civil management and stuff? Disasters are cool, too.
Anno has more complex production chains and needs more building placement planning, space is tight on those islands.
Roads are present in both, but Anno only checks connectivity where in Tropico you have to watch that it doesn't get overloaded and stuck in jams.
Tropico's citisens are real and you can observe what each of them is doing and thinking at the moment and supply food, jobs and housing, sort of like tycoon games(unlike tycoon games, you can send them to jail or murder them).
Anno's citizens are numbers in the house, supply house with variety of goods and keep it in coverage area of certain buildings and they'll be happy and pay taxes.
Taxes are main income in Anno with some exports of surplus goods, the better you supply citizens the more tax money you get. Tropico relies heavily on exports or tourism, keeping your workers satisfied isn't needed(you're a dictator after all).
There are disasters in both, more natural disasters in Tropico both in frequency and variety.