Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
If you haven't seen Anciients yet, you'll be able to catch them on the Decapitated/Lamb of God tour:

05/16 – Asheville, N.C. @ The Orange Peel
05/17 – Chattanooga, Tenn. @ Track 29
05/18 – Nashville, Tenn. @ Marathon Music Works
05/20 – Columbia, Mo. @ Blue Note
05/22 – Boulder, Colo. @ Boulder Theater
05/24 – Boise, Idaho @ Revolution Center
05/25 – Reno, Nevada @ Knitting Factory
05/26 – Ventura, Calif. @ Majestic Ventura Theater
05/28 – Tucson, Ariz. @ Rialto Theatre
05/29 – Anaheim, Calif. @ City National Grove of Anaheim
05/31 – Chico, Calif. @ Senator Theatre
06/01 – Portland, Ore. @ Roseland Theater
06/02 – Kennewick, Wash. @ Toyota Ice Arena
06/03 – Missoula, Montana @ Wilma Theater
06/04 – Billings, Montana @ Shrine Auditorium
06/06 – Fargo, N.D. @ Concert Hall at The Venue
06/07 – Madison, Wis. @ Orpheum Theatre
06/08 – Lincoln, Neb. @ Bourbon Theater
06/09 – Wichita, Kansas @ The Cotillion
06/10 – Tulsa, Okla. @ Cain’s Ballroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Radio posted:

My guess is Kai Hahto, since he's in everything now. Or maybe that kid who covered when Kári was injured.

Nah, it was Lars Ulrich.

Serious suggestion: Gene Hoglan?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Nirvana7x posted:

I know this isn't the youtube thread (even though I'm tempted to post this there too), but check out some 11 year old kids (from what I read and seems about right) rocking out on the streets on NYC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDOxHAXNwu0

Best songs/jamming ever? No way in hell. Potential? gently caress yeah.

edit: more recent video from a month and a half ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jtPQTJjKPo

This poo poo is tits. Hella groove going on just before the minute mark on the second video.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

IRQ posted:

Paul Watson of course.

May his ships sink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpJtqvvmjY

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The ironic part is that the Rainbow Warrior was never Watson's ship. He got booted from GreenPeace for being too crazy for GreenPeace long before French Intelligence bombed it or Tyr ever heard of him.

But the debate between him and a viking metal band frontman was for some reason headline material for the Discovery Channel that actually aired on international television. That is still so hilarious to me to this day. "Ok, find the most famous people from the Faroe Islands to debate this jackass, wait, what, gently caress, it's a what band? gently caress it, fine, just interview them!"

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I finally listened to Opus Eponymous and Infestissumam and I'm mad at the people who described them to me as "like Blue Oyster Cult" or "like Deep Purple".

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

John Magnum posted:

I finally listened to Opus Eponymous and Infestissumam and I'm mad at the people who described them to me as "like Blue Oyster Cult" or "like Deep Purple".

Understandable considering they forgot to suffix it with "but worse".

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

anti-magic posted:

Understandable considering they forgot to suffix it with "but worse".

It seems like ever band someone described as being like Blue Oyster Cult always falls in the "But Worse" category.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

John Magnum posted:

More like Sabbath meets Blue Oyster Cult.

I like Ghost when they do a good song, rather than desperately cramming in as many throwbacks to the 60s\70s as humanly possible.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

John Magnum posted:

I listened to a song off the first Ghost album and I'm kind of mad at people who described them as "good."

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Oh look another discussion about Ghost in the metal thread.

Edit for content: Open to suggestions for bands like Vintersorg. Really been digging their last 2 albums lately.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I get tired of too many hipster throwbacks to the past because I want to see bands doing new things but... come on, I don't like all of Ghost but how can you hate Zombie Queen? There's some talent in there.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Defiant Sally posted:

Edit for content: Open to suggestions for bands like Vintersorg. Really been digging their last 2 albums lately.

I hate Ghost so much that it's all I want to talk about.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Defiant Sally posted:

Borknagar's Empiricism

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Nirvana7x posted:

I know this isn't the youtube thread (even though I'm tempted to post this there too), but check out some 11 year old kids (from what I read and seems about right) rocking out on the streets on NYC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDOxHAXNwu0

Best songs/jamming ever? No way in hell. Potential? gently caress yeah.

edit: more recent video from a month and a half ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jtPQTJjKPo

http://www.afropunk.com/m/blogpost?id=2059274%3ABlogPost%3A1005106

Short documentary on the band. If any of you are in NYC they will be in Time Square May 25-26th 12- 8pm

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I finally received my LP/CD/T-Shirt package from France yesterday of Satan's Life Sentence. It's just about every bit of old school metal awesomeness that I could have ever wished for.

I hate people that DON'T want to talk about how they hate Ghost. For the record, I love Ghost and enjoy hearing people try to describe them.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'm not sure if this was posted before, but we interviewed Jon Schaeffer again, and he's just as crazy. We specified that we don't work for the UN, just in case.
http://www.metalblast.net/2013/05/jon-schaffer-iced-earth-interview/

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Defiant Sally posted:

Try Solefald's "Red for Fire" / "Black for Death" albums. The vocals take a bit of getting used to, but there's some good stuff in there.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Defiant Sally posted:

Myrkgrav is essentially a Norwegian Vintersorg.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

DeusExMachinima posted:

I get tired of too many hipster throwbacks to the past because I want to see bands doing new things but... come on, I don't like all of Ghost but how can you hate Zombie Queen? There's some talent in there.

I really hate this song and is exactly what I mean.

When the synth comes in at about 1:12, that was the sorta poo poo that should have died with King Crimson. In fact the whole thing gives me a real Moonchild vibe. The following eBow solo is bitching though.

The change at about 3 minutes feels like a Taratino cut to some flashback scene in a 50s surf diner. The way the song ends is very Sabbathy. The reverb-drenched guitar solo is so predictable and cliche. I do dig the chorus, but it's sandwiched by so many references that it loses relevance in the song.

It really stands out when the next song is Year Zero, which aside from Genesis is still their best song. Sure, it's still heavily influenced from a lot of places, but they're not making a point of cramming in references...rather they've just made a loving awesome song.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody have any suggestions for some good melodic black metal? Well, melodeath with high register vocals will also work!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Vargatron posted:

Anybody have any suggestions for some good melodic black metal? Well, melodeath with high register vocals will also work!

Siebenbürgen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7jguN_go34

Sargiest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IcFlZa4jz4

Sear Bliss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVwHBZFhpos

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Hammer Floyd posted:

I really hate this song and is exactly what I mean.

When the synth comes in at about 1:12, that was the sorta poo poo that should have died with King Crimson. In fact the whole thing gives me a real Moonchild vibe. The following eBow solo is bitching though.

The change at about 3 minutes feels like a Taratino cut to some flashback scene in a 50s surf diner. The way the song ends is very Sabbathy. The reverb-drenched guitar solo is so predictable and cliche. I do dig the chorus, but it's sandwiched by so many references that it loses relevance in the song.

It really stands out when the next song is Year Zero, which aside from Genesis is still their best song. Sure, it's still heavily influenced from a lot of places, but they're not making a point of cramming in references...rather they've just made a loving awesome song.

You probably hated every word in Sabaton's Metal Machine song too, Philistine. :colbert:

I didn't say it wasn't a hipster track. In fact that's exactly what I said it was and I said I get tired of too much Ghost. But it's possible to be (intentionally) unoriginal and talented. That's what that song is.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bodom put the title track Halo of Blood on Pitchfork for streaming. The single/video (Transfererence?) might be garbage but I really like this track and I really didn't expect to.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Stoat posted:

Bodom put the title track Halo of Blood on Pitchfork for streaming. The single/video (Transfererence?) might be garbage but I really like this track and I really didn't expect to.
Good to see they scraped the barrel so hard that they actually recycled their Inearthed demo from 20 years ago

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Stoat posted:

It'd be a lot better if it was just that opening riff.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Misogynist posted:

Good to see they scraped the barrel so hard that they actually recycled their Inearthed demo from 20 years ago

If they re-recorded that demo with proper studio equipment it'd be their best release.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Killsion posted:

It'd be a lot better if it was just that opening riff.

It's just a generic Dimmu Borgir riff from the mid-late 90's?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vargatron posted:

You may already know of these guys but I still love them:

Dissection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c3L0bqUnao

Sacramentum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1YXIdfwX9U

a last band that's pretty much a dissection ripoff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wmcUMSCsKA

and one of the best riffs in a song, that's basically repeated for four minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ohO-i73bzc

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Vargatron posted:

Windir, Feigd, Sigtyr off the top of my head

Dissection is amazing but technically they're death metal, but close enough.
Unanimated and Necrophobic are good poo poo too

Come to the black metal thread, we have better taste :black101:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I finally received my LP/CD/T-Shirt package from France yesterday of Satan's Life Sentence. It's just about every bit of old school metal awesomeness that I could have ever wished for.

That track is shockingly good, it's like they just picked right back up from Court in the Act. I had no idea Satan even got back together.

Steve Ramsey and Russ Tippins have got to be one of the best guitar duos in metal that no one ever hears about.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Any of you guys been messing with the free trial for Google's new streaming service? I think they might actually have a better metal selection than Spotify and it integrates streaming stuff pretty seamlessly with your own library.

Edit: no native iOS app yet though, which is pretty stupid.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 17, 2013

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks for the black metal suggestions guys! I have a new gym soundtrack for the next few months.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35x9fd3HEyo

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Buttdody is an awesome band name.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I love how everything about that track screams BARGAIN BIN METAL

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Cheapsteaks posted:

Buttdody is an awesome band name.

This is the funniest thing I've heard since the Book of Mormon soundtrack. The melodic vocals at the end of the track had me on the floor.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

So in the vein of JATAO and Blood Ceremony, I present Sub Rosa. They're not as good overall but still worth a listen.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 18, 2013

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I've been seeing some stuff I never heard of from this dude who runs this facebook page - All Things Metal

like Bongripper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Bongripper are great, the stoner/sludge/doom thread was named after one of their albums for a while.

I've been listening through much of my melodeath collection recently. I haven't heard a mention of A Canorous Quintet in a long time, so check it out if you haven't heard them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDVrvm_9CLI