Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sheep posted:

since Japanese men are the only people that can actually get into 99% of those places.

Thanks for checking up on this, sorry you can't get any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Stringent posted:

Thanks for checking up on this, sorry you can't get any.

Surely you can do better than that.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
The weird obsession old racist Japanese dudes have about the sexual habits of European and American men (of any ethnicity) is incredibly creepy. The whole leering, "You like Japanese girls?" thing makes my skin crawl.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Sheep posted:

The foreign crime rate in Japan, including people covered by SOFA, is a fraction of the Japanese crime rate. I last did the math in 2010, and found that Japanese commit either ~4x or 16x as many crimes as foreigners, depending on if you include visa-related offenses or not.

So yeah they should definitely channel their energies into domestic sexual education and fostering some kind of respect for women, honestly.

To play devil's advocate, though, isn't that the foreigner crime rate in general? I could see the crimes committed by SOFA personnel only being much higher than the overall foreigner crime rate.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

To play devil's advocate, though, isn't that the foreigner crime rate in general? I could see the crimes committed by SOFA personnel only being much higher than the overall foreigner crime rate.

You're right, the numbers I found at the time didn't differentiate, but the crime rate among service personnel in both Korea and Japan is actually really low - it's just that every minor incident gets blown way out of proportion by the press.

From here.
"Foreign crime" in Japan hasn't been a thing in decades no matter how you cut it.

Edit: here's one on USFK crime. Also note that SOFA number also includes families and associated civilians, so if we're looking at just people serving then it's even lower.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 13, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I thought the main anger was that they suspects get whisked away to the States where they get the military trial so the anger is more over suspected rapists and/or murderers getting slapped on wrist in their own system with zero input from the locals.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Read ROK Drop - that whole "getting off with no punishment" thing is pretty much a myth. I'm sure it does happen, the military being what it is and all, but it's nothing like what people think where you can go gangrape a Filipino hostess and be back in the States in 2 days. Remember those two guys who were on terminal leave last year who thought they'd pull a maneuver like that and wound up in a Japanese prison instead?

Edit: Japan's SOFA states that if servicemembers are charged in a Japanese court, they will be turned over. And the US military is really good about giving police and prosecutors, both Korean and Japanese, access to suspects.

quote:

(f) Members or employees of the United States armed forces, excluding those employees who have only Japanese. nationality, shall not be subject to any proceedings for the enforcement of any judgment given against them in Japan in a matter arising from the performance of their official duties.
[...]
9. (a) The United States shall not claim immunity from the jurisdiction of the courts of Japan for members or employees of the United States armed forces in respect of the civil jurisdiction of the courts of Japan except to the extent provided in paragraph 5(f) of this Article.
ie unless you're committing your crimes in the commission of your duties, you're being turned over.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 13, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That's terrifying, the Japanese justice system being what it is. But I guess extraterritoriality is a sore spot for Asia.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

But I guess extraterritoriality is a sore spot for Asia.
Hah, yeah, I'm actually surprised that this comparison doesn't get made more often.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
More from that delightful chap Hashimoto:

"Osaka Mayor: Wartime Sex Slaves Were Necessary posted:

TOKYO (AP) — Osaka's outspoken mayor has said the system in which Asian women were forced to become wartime prostitutes before and during World War II was necessary to "maintain discipline" in the Japanese military.

Toru Hashimoto told reporters Monday that it was understandable that the so-called "comfort women" were needed to provide respite for Japanese soldiers who risked their lives in battle.

It's tough being male, that's for sure!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It really worries me to see a right wing nutcase politician as young as he is. I mean, seriously.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
At least he acknowledges that many women were forced into it against their will. :downs:

In all seriousness though, Hashimoto's definitely a looney tune but you would be shocked at how many people would agree with him here in Japan, whether right or left. I've heard many justifications for the comfort women and that's probably the one I hear second-most.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Isn't he considered as a new age darling to revitalize Japan?

Here's a bbc article

"bbc. [url posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22519384#?utm_source=feedly[/url]"]
Japan WWII 'comfort women' were 'necessary' - Hashimoto

Toru Hashimoto said former comfort women should be offered "kind words"
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
What Japanese history lessons leave out
Japan PM apology on sex slaves
Toru Hashimoto wins Osaka ballot
A prominent Japanese politician has described as "necessary" the system by which women were forced to become prostitutes for World War II troops.

Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto said the "comfort women" gave soldiers putting their lives at risk a chance "to rest".

He acknowledged that the women had been acting "against their will".

Some 200,000 women in territories occupied by Japan during WWII are estimated to have been forced into becoming sex slaves for troops.

Many of the women came from China and South Korea, but also from the Philippines, Indonesia and Taiwan.

Japan's treatment of its wartime role has been a frequent source of tension with its neighbours.

Mr Hashimoto, the co-founder of the nationalist Japanese Restoration Party, was the youngest governor in Japanese history before becoming mayor of Osaka.

He said last year that Japan needed "a dictatorship".

In his latest controversial comments, quoted by Japanese media, he said: "In the circumstances in which bullets are flying like rain and wind, the soldiers are running around at the risk of losing their lives,"

"If you want them to have a rest in such a situation, a comfort women system is necessary. Anyone can understand that."

He also claimed that Japan was not the only country to use the system, though it was responsible for its actions.

He said he backed a 1995 statement by Japan's then-PM Tomiichi Murayama, in which he apologised for its wartime actions in Asia.

"It is a result of the tragedy of the war that they became comfort women against their will. The responsibility for the war also lies with Japan. We have to politely offer kind words to [former] comfort women."

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Has anyone mentioned to him that the US didn't use comfort women yet still managed to win the war?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Stringent posted:

Has anyone mentioned to him that the US didn't use comfort women yet still managed to win the war?

Well they did bang a lot of European prostitutes. There's tons of those WWII 'watch out for the clap, boys!' posters out there so something was happening. I don't think the US is any less hypocritical in that regard at least. And in fact that's how a lot of Japanese justify it -- that these girls were prostitutes anyway. And of those who were actual Japanese comfort women, many were legit prostitutes and went perfectly willingly. The problem with comfort women is in assuming that these already-oppressed people are being willing prostitutes, and also the fact that even if US troops slept with prostitutes in their own right, I'm pretty sure they weren't being held on brothels near the front line (it's possible we did? But I sorta doubt that)

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Well they did bang a lot of European prostitutes. There's tons of those WWII 'watch out for the clap, boys!' posters out there so something was happening. I don't think the US is any less hypocritical in that regard at least. And in fact that's how a lot of Japanese justify it -- that these girls were prostitutes anyway. And of those who were actual Japanese comfort women, many were legit prostitutes and went perfectly willingly. The problem with comfort women is in assuming that these already-oppressed people are being willing prostitutes, and also the fact that even if US troops slept with prostitutes in their own right, I'm pretty sure they weren't being held on brothels near the front line (it's possible we did? But I sorta doubt that)

The closest thing to this happening I am aware of was actually organized by the Japanese government when the occupation first started. They expected the American troops to start raping and pillaging when they arrived, so they set up the Recreation and Amusement Association (RAA) and put out newspaper ads that used appeals to self-sacrifice in the name of the nation to convince women to volunteer to work as prostitutes for the Americans. The point of this was to protect upper class Japanese women from being raped. Many of the women weren't experienced prostitutes, and they had to work in abysmal conditions. Dower states in Embracing Defeat that they weren't given any beds or futons to lie on, and they had to service upwards of 20 men a day, sometimes in a building hallway. Some of them either ran away or committed suicide after their first day of work.

EDIT: After that of course the prostitution continued - it's estimated roughly half of GI income was spent on prostitution during the occupation - but the working conditions were generally better than what happened with the RAA.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 14, 2013

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I was thinking more about the comfort women during WWII itself (in which they cited one of the notions you talked about, that those girls weren't pure ladies anyway so go hog wild) but you're right, that was also a thing.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Reverend Cheddar posted:

At least he acknowledges that many women were forced into it against their will. :downs:

In all seriousness though, Hashimoto's definitely a looney tune but you would be shocked at how many people would agree with him here in Japan, whether right or left. I've heard many justifications for the comfort women and that's probably the one I hear second-most.

Just to reiterate a point I posted previously about how poor their education regarding WW2 is becoming:

Sheep posted:

Just how far to the right Japan has swung was really driven home for me last week when I went into the storeroom and looked at the new history textbooks we have for the 2013-14 school year. I only had about an hour and a half to go through them, but here's some numbers I jotted down:

5 textbooks (Japanese history A/B) for the new year.
All 5 mentioned a Nanking 'incident'
2 called it a 'massacre' or 'genocide'.
4 gave numbers (20 to 200 thousand, generally) of people killed.
1 actually mentioned civilians being explicitly targeted by the Japanese army.
4 mentioned forced labor within the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere
1 mentioned atrocities committed against native populations in the GEACPS
1 mentioned the Bataan Death March.
2 mentioned 'comfort women'.
Neither mentioned anything approaching sexual slavery or defined the term 慰安婦 for the students.
1 spoke of 'comfort women' using an entire sentence.
The other (日本史図鑑,see below) simply had 'comfort women (military forced comfort)' on a list of 'attributes of the GEACPS'
1 actually used the word 'war crimes' when describing the Tokyo war crimes tribunal.
1 devoted an entire page to Japan's justifications for attacking America, including charts of resource imports, yet failed to explain the reasons for the embargo.
0 spoke of the concentration camps in Karuizawa where even non-Asians holding Japanese citizenship were interred.
All spoke of the internment of ethnic Japanese citizens in America.

With education like this, we can really only expect those numbers to grow.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I was reading about western princesses in Korea the other day, which sounds pretty much like a 'comfort women' system set up for US troops there. But again they were set up by Korea, not the US.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I guess the US is just enlisting them now anyhow.

(This is a comment on some of the male soldiers' behaviour, not the women enlisting btw.)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
More Japan-Chinachat!

"Japanese tabloids' reports of tourist sex habits 'vent anti-Chinese feeling' posted:

Reports about the supposed sexual habits of Chinese tourists and the problems they are causing in Japan's red-light districts have been dismissed as simply another way for the tabloids here to belittle the Chinese.

Two of Japan's biggest-selling monthly magazines - Cyzo and the Shukan Post - have both run similar stories in their latest editions critical of Chinese men looking for sex in Japan.

Under the headline "Wealthy Chinese paramours get to do anything they want in Japanese sex shops", the Shukan Post describes the behaviour of the visitors as "a national insult to Japan".

Interviewing sex industry workers, the story claims Chinese men often bring their computers to brothels, show the woman a Japanese adult video and then demand the same sort of service.

One of the most popular requests is to be able to eat sushi off a naked woman, it reports.

Cyzo claims that "soaplands" - the erotic bathhouses that are a staple of Japan's red-light districts - in the infamous Yoshiwara brothel quarter of Tokyo have introduced a blanket ban on Chinese customers due to "cultural differences".

An employee of one of the establishments said the language difficulties were hard to overcome and that Chinese men did not understand the payment system. They assumed the entrance fee, typically Y15,000 (HK$1,142), was the full price and became angry when they were required to pay Y30,000 (HK$2,284) for the ministrations of the "awa hime", or foam princess.

The Chinese also lack the appropriate manners, the magazine reports, as they insist on being able to take photos of their experiences, despite signs clearly stating photography is banned.

"There have been quarrels," the employee said. "So as of now, Chinese tourists are not allowed to enter."

But Mark Schreiber, an American translator who covers the Japanese media, said it was hypocritical of Japan to pick faults with foreign sex tourists, given the notoriety that Japanese men earned during trips to Southeast Asian countries when Japan's economy was riding high.

He said of the reports in Cyzo and Shukan Post that these sorts of stories were "gradually coming to the surface now because anti-Chinese sentiment is so strong".

"There is a readership for this sort of story and people here want to read about how good the Japanese are and how bad the Chinese are," he said. "I suppose it's better than going to war."

But there is some truth in suggestions that foreigners are not welcome in Japan's red-light districts - even when businesses are struggling and arguably need all the money they can get.

"Foreigners in general have not had easy access since the Aids scare of the 1980s, but it's not the girls that mind," Schreiber said. "It's the management that objects because they fear it will alienate their Japanese customers."
Like it says at the end, I thought the Japanese sex industry was always off-limits to foreigners. I assume this is just some fiery journalism aimed at moving tabloid papers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sometimes I've wondered, do Japanese give more credence to tabloid journalism than Westerners do? It seems like that but it may just be a perception thing on my part, since I read a lot of really lowbrow stuff on Japanese sites compared to the rest of the sites I use.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

More Japan-Chinachat!

Like it says at the end, I thought the Japanese sex industry was always off-limits to foreigners. I assume this is just some fiery journalism aimed at moving tabloid papers.

Except that attitude from China tourists isn't isolated to Japan and the sex industry. The stereotype of a Chinese tourist is one who is loud, demanding, disrespectful and expects to get away with anything and or use money to change the rules.

My friend travels a lot and he told a story of one time in some major city, probably New York walked into a really fancy, extremely busy restaurant to wait for a table, and a group of Chinese showed up and loudly demanded to be seated immediately and simply tried to pay the server to jump the waiting list.

It's part China's inherent grey market, where almost everything is controlled by bribes, and that most Chinese people who can take vacations are probably high enough on the economic ladder that they receive special treatment in China and expect it to be the same overseas.

Anyone who hasn't read the China megathread won't know it but Hong Kong refers to them as 'mainlanders' and absolutely loving hates them.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Well, the weeklies are the only ones who actually do hardcore (snicker) investigative journalism anymore, so while they may focus their attention on filth and scandal, they cover poo poo the dailies won't touch for fear of losing access. The major papers are all huge corporations, so they don't want to go alienating people, which lets the tabloids carve out a niche doing hatchet jobs on people who don't cover their tracks well enough.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Bloodnose posted:

More Japan-Chinachat!

It's funny because this quote "Interviewing sex industry workers, the story claims Chinese men often bring their computers to brothels, show the woman a Japanese adult video and then demand the same sort of service." shows that what they are demanding is actually illegal in Japan, you can do anything but gently caress (the vagina). So I can understand how "cultural differences" can arise.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

I thought the Japanese sex industry was always off-limits to foreigners.
Not completely true. I can't remember where the site was, but I recall running across a fairly active forum that was dedicated to topics/talk about sex industry in countries and regions. The threads for Japan (at least the one on Osaka that I had read) showed that places that let foreigners in, do exist. It was mainly about looking around and just asking. So long as you could pay and show you knew Japanese well enough to understand the rules, they'd let you in. Most of these were simply places to fondle girls and get a handjob though. Some the comments mentioned though that a lot of girls weren't Japanese though, lots of Chinese and Korean.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

It really worries me to see a right wing nutcase politician as young as he is. I mean, seriously.

There's a lot of young far-right politicians in European politics, too

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wow, just when you think the Japan Restoration Party can't get any dumber, they manage to outdo themselves.
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/politics/AJ201305170093

Shingo Nishimura posted:

'Comfort women' is erroneously translated as 'sex slaves,' which might encourage anti-Japanese riots and conspiracies," he said. "We better fight back by telling them that the words 'comfort women' and 'sex slaves' are completely different and that there are numerous South Korean prostitutes roaming around Japan."

Nishimura said jokingly that he might return to his hometown of Osaka, go to crowded entertainment districts and tell them, “Hey, you South Korean comfort women!”

“So, let's fight,” he said, suggesting the party stand by Hashimoto.

Even fellow lawmakers who usually support nationalist views appeared stunned.

“Please take back what you just said. Take back your comment. You should retract the word ‘South Koreans,’” said party member Kenta Matsunami.

Nishimura returned to the microphone and agreed to retract that part. He later said his remarks were inappropriate, but only because he had never conducted a survey to gather data to back up his comment, and because he singled out a particular country by name.
At least he is now no longer a member of the party.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 17, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess the part that's common to all politics is this:

quote:

The uproar over Hashimoto's comments, and Nishimura's predicament, typify the difficulties Japanese politicians can create for themselves when commenting on sensitive topics without considering how those outside their own circles might react.

Hey guys, welcome to the information age. What you say in your old boy's club doesn't stay in your old boy's club anymore.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess the part that's common to all politics is this:

Hey guys, welcome to the information age. What you say in your old boy's club doesn't stay in your old boy's club anymore.

But but my privilege to be a disgusting old man who needs to die horribly. :smith:

Jesus loving poo poo this is some amazing stuff though.

At least there's this.

Female lawmakers blast Hashimoto, call him the 'shame of Osaka' posted:

A multipartisan group of female lawmakers demanded that Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto retract his remark about wartime “comfort women,” saying he has embarrassed Japan and shown the world he does not understand human rights.
The 10 lawmakers at the news conference came from five different parties--the DPJ, People’s Life Party, Green Wind, the Japanese Communist Party and the Social Democratic Party.

Mizuho Fukushima, the SDP leader, said all parties were invited to take part in the news conference. But no members from the ruling Liberal Democratic Party or New Komeito attended. The coalition partners said they would handle the matter on their own.

Yuko Mori, an Upper House member of People’s Life Party, said she fears that people in other countries may come to believe that all Japanese share Hashimoto’s opinions.

“Articles have been widely reported around the world about Hashimoto’s comment that said a ‘Japanese mayor said sex slaves are necessary.’ This has become a very serious matter,” Mori said. “Having such an individual as the mayor of the international city of Osaka as well as the co-leader of a political party will lead to the perception that the Japanese people have a very low sense of human rights.”

Renho, a DPJ Upper House member, said Hashimoto’s comment was an outrageous anachronism. In addition to calling for a retraction and apology, she asked that Hashimoto step down and let Osaka voters decide if they want him to remain as mayor.

So there's that... :unsmith:

...not that it's likely to change anything.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Osaka mayor accuses U.S. military of using women for sex in postwar Japan

Hey, Hashimoto, that's an indictment against America, not a vindication of what you said.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Hey, Hashimoto, that's an indictment against America, not a vindication of what you said.
Make up your mind, Hashimoto:
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/politics/AJ201305140086

quote:

Toru Hashimoto, co-leader of the Japan Restoration Party, stunned and flustered a U.S. military commander in Okinawa earlier this month with a suggestion that legalized sexual services be used to keep Marines’ sexual appetites under control.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Also isn't he basically talking about the RAA (and the hosed up attitude that led to its creation) there? 'Cause if I'm understanding his argument correctly then we're kinda' back to the problem of Japan being run by and for terrible old men.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

Haha I think this is the first article written in English since this scandal blew up that accurately translated what Hashimoto said.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

Ernie Muppari posted:

Also isn't he basically talking about the RAA (and the hosed up attitude that led to its creation) there? 'Cause if I'm understanding his argument correctly then we're kinda' back to the problem of Japan being run by and for terrible old men.

He was talking about the RAA, S. Korea's Korean War comfort women system, Korean rape camps during the Vietnam War, and "others" that he didn't specify but said happened throughout history or something.

And I don't think he's come out with this directly but I think he's basically trying to go down this road with his argument..."dudes are hypocrites, they did the same thing as us, but have done far less than we have to address it."

Of course his argument isn't going to get any traction abroad but the right wing in Japan is going to love it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

Of course his argument isn't going to get any traction abroad but the right wing in Japan is going to love it.
Like I think I said before in this thread, the right wing in Japan is the only people this comment was ever intended for, he doesn't know or care who else hears it or what they think. I want to say that he should, that ignoring the wider audience is going to bite him in the rear end, but it may not...

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

And I don't think he's come out with this directly but I think he's basically trying to go down this road with his argument..."dudes are hypocrites, they did the same thing as us, but have done far less than we have to address it."

"But they did it too!" stops being a valid excuse when children turn... I dunno, five years old or so?

At least now we see at what level Hashimoto's reasoning skills stopped developing.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Like I think I said before in this thread, the right wing in Japan is the only people this comment was ever intended for, he doesn't know or care who else hears it or what they think. I want to say that he should, that ignoring the wider audience is going to bite him in the rear end, but it may not...

The more dumb stuff these guys say, the better, in my opinion. Better that they come out and say what they really think than keep it behind closed doors and do one thing while telling the world something else.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

If you can stand to read the guy's Twitter -- all two hundred or whatever tweets he vomited out about this (and keep in mind you can say a lot more in Japanese with 140 characters than you can in English) -- he actually did say that this was his reasoning. Other countries used prostitutes, don't just harp on Japan!!1 I was mistranslated! They didn't listen to me in context! Foreign media rrrarrblaattghhrhrhffffff.
It's not just Japan that likes calling other kettles black; this kind of circular argument gets tossed about in Asia a lot from what I can see as a means to justify their actions. In any stretch of logical reasoning this would be knocked down but we're also dealing with a school system that actively discourages critical thinking. :downs:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Reverend Cheddar posted:

If you can stand to read the guy's Twitter -- all two hundred or whatever tweets he vomited out about this (and keep in mind you can say a lot more in Japanese with 140 characters than you can in English) -- he actually did say that this was his reasoning. Other countries used prostitutes, don't just harp on Japan!!1 I was mistranslated! They didn't listen to me in context! Foreign media rrrarrblaattghhrhrhffffff.
It's not just Japan that likes calling other kettles black; this kind of circular argument gets tossed about in Asia a lot from what I can see as a means to justify their actions. In any stretch of logical reasoning this would be knocked down but we're also dealing with a school system that actively discourages critical thinking. :downs:

Wouldn't the concept of Guilt vs. Shame play into it? Bascially the idea that in the west people are taught that they have an internal set of morals and if they violate it, they did wrong even if no one ever knows about it. In Japan/Asia people are taught that they have to behave as others expect it from them. So if others (the US in this case) apparently don't care about sex slaves (because they use them themselves) then it isn't wrong.

That said, I recently learned that the Wehrmacht used forced prostitution in the East and had its own share of massrapes, and there is literally nothing being taught about it. So much for being the shining example of dealing with our past, I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

mystes posted:

Wow, just when you think the Japan Restoration Party can't get any dumber, they manage to outdo themselves.
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/politics/AJ201305170093

At least he is now no longer a member of the party.

Was Nishimura going to call all the Japanese johns "soldiers" in his racist fantasy?