Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

HorseRenoir posted:

Have you tried "Part IV" by Fred Falke?

Holy poo poo, this is solid! Thank you heaps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I've spun through RAM twice now. The first time it felt like I had my eyebrows perpetually cocked because things continually came out of left field, but once I managed to listen on decent headphones it blew me away.

I loving love how "Touch," despite its supposedly hopeful ending, drops into Paul Williams pining for something more... then the album hops right into "Get Lucky." Not only is the six-minute "Get Lucky" everything I had hoped for, it fits perfectly thematically, especially when considering Pharrell's Collaborators video (in which he says "Get Lucky" is about two people connecting, one step beyond the "Touch" Paul Williams experiences).

"Giorgio by Moroder" is fantastic. I noticed his interview's thesis is pretty freaking prevalent throughout the rest of the album. When the music drops all but the "click" when he mentions it, that was a sly little joke, but if I'm not incorrect that click is the backbone of "Doin' It Right" among many, many other little references.

The album was a bit more melancholy than I was expecting, but then again I had no idea what to expect.

I cannot wait to spend money on this.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwwIhs3dSOs

They're going to have a hell of time doing this live.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Doin it right and MAYBE get lucky are probably the only songs that will be "dance" songs which is utterly mind boggling. The rest of them I'm not sure if i need to play ever again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Predicted Pitchfork review 5.6.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
As a huge fan of Daft Punk, I say this not necessarily as an indictment, but it kinda feels like:

1) Daft Punk made Homework.

2) Daft Punk got sweet masks.

3) Daft Punk develop a concept of "being" these robot personas.

4) Daft Punk make this album, and it's a concept of a pair of robot automatons fascinated with the emotion and funkiness of the disco era and being human.

As a concept, I'm into it.

As an album, I wanted more Daft Punk making Daft Punk music.

pathetic gbs homo
May 15, 2005
it's gotta be midnight somewhere by now

NESguerilla posted:

Predicted Pitchfork review 5.6.

No way. P4K has too much riding on it. They've got a cover story on the album coming out tomorrow and they've been posting video links to every little collaborator video leading up to the release. They'll grade it high, but they won't give it Kanye's perfect 10. They'll know that this album is humdrum and won't be able to admit it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

"Ethically, we've backed ourselves in a corner. A corner in a room full of corners."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm pretty much the least musically inclined person ever (the majority of the albums I own consist of what I'm pretty sure are the Australian government-mandated INXS and AC/DC albums), so someone remind me. Is Pitchfork considered decent in any way? I'm not sure how to read this discussion of them.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

pathetic gbs homo posted:

No way. P4K has too much riding on it. They've got a cover story on the album coming out tomorrow and they've been posting video links to every little collaborator video leading up to the release. They'll grade it high, but they won't give it Kanye's perfect 10. They'll know that this album is humdrum and won't be able to admit it.
I doubt that, though 5.6 seems low to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see something in the 6's though. I'd be surprised to see it over their standard 7.8 "this is good" rating though.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Cleretic posted:

Is Pitchfork considered decent in any way? I'm not sure how to read this discussion of them.

They're great. They're also terrible.

Seriously though, some of the reviewers are excellent and others are most definitely not. I tend to read it more for news than the reviews.

het posted:

I doubt that, though 5.6 seems low to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see something in the 6's though. I'd be surprised to see it over their standard 7.8 "this is good" rating though.

I'm gonna call 8.2

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty much the least musically inclined person ever (the majority of the albums I own consist of what I'm pretty sure are the Australian government-mandated INXS and AC/DC albums), so someone remind me. Is Pitchfork considered decent in any way? I'm not sure how to read this discussion of them.
A lot of people's views of Pitchfork are colored by the ridiculously wanky reviews that made them famous (look up the Radiohead - Kid A or Autechre - Untilted reviews for examples), but generally speaking the ratings are often in line with popular opinion. You can argue as to how much their ratings determine that opinion, but I think nowadays enough people are skeptical that that's less of an issue, though clearly when they give something Best New Music, it has a significance. Stuff like heavy advertising of streaming doesn't necessarily shape their ratings; Little Boots was streaming exclusive on their site and got a 6.something.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

KrazyKosher posted:

I really wanted to like this album, I did. But calling this album good is really going overboard. Look, I'm not trying to elicit any anger here, but 75% of the positive reviews of this album are people like you and me trying to talk themselves into being impressed. For all the production and collaboration that went into this album, all of the bells and whistles, its really just uninspired and boring. All their work to make a lifelike human album just made them sound purely mechanical, formulaic, and boring. Maybe they wanted to sound like soulless robots made this album, because that's the impression I'm getting.

I'm really enjoying this album with each listen and I don't think its boring at all? I even like Touch which seems to be the most hated track on the album and I think it starts off amazingly well.

E: I also don't really know what the "Daft Punk" sound some people were expecting. Is it Homework era? Discovery? HAA or Alive 2007? TRON??????? Like we all knew it was going to be a disco album with real instruments this time around.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 14, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I like everything besides Instant Crush. Just don't get into it for some reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They will still get off on slamming it. I'd bet my shoes (swapping out the word eat with bet just in case I'm wrong) it doesn't score better than a 6.

Geirskogul posted:

I like everything besides Instant Crush. Just don't get into it for some reason.

I'm guessing it's because it features the most god awful vocal effect I have ever heard in a song that isn't J pop. I don't even know why they had him guest on the album if they were going to just completely ruin his voice. Also, that guitar(?) solo in the middle sounds like someone taking a dump into a trumpet.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 14, 2013

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Most reviewers have been fairly positive though? Are we not allowed to like it anymore?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

This is the Jamiroquai album I didn't know I wanted.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NESguerilla posted:

They will still get off on slamming it. I'd bet my shoes (swapping out the word eat with bet just in case I'm wrong) it doesn't score better than a 6.
DADDY NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SHOES

but seriously, I bought shoes recently, so let's just call this a gentleman's bet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

somnambulist posted:

Most reviewers have been fairly positive though? Are we not allowed to like it anymore?

My comment was in regards to how predicable I think pitchfork is and has nothing to do with the quality of the album.

Like whatever you want to like.

het posted:

DADDY NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SHOES

but seriously, I bought shoes recently, so let's just call this a gentleman's bet.

Good call because they are stinky old Vans with holes in them. I am eagerly awaiting the PF review now though, because I have convinced myself I have the power to predict their reviews.

5.6!

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 14, 2013

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I bet this gets at least a 7 point something on Pitchfork. No way it will get a 6, poo poo it might be even more because of Panda Bear, Giorgo Moroder and crew.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Anywhere other than itunes streaming this? Itunes just takes a crap and wont buffer. Took 5 mins just for the itunes Daft Punk page to load. Christ.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Production wise, the album is absolutely solid. I don't think a single instrument or sound is used on more than one song. Every noise, every instrument, and every vocal all meshes together perfectly on a song-by-song basis.

That being said, half of the album is exactly what I was hoping for (a callback to the disco and funk of the 70's that seemed to inspire early Daft Punk sounds), and half of the album is a sad robot musical. I really feel that some of these songs would have been better without the robot voice, but even then... they just fall short and feel bland.

But when the album shines through? It's a loving supernova. Other than that, it's just a sad robot musical.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

They're really good at pissing off people, Human After All was a million times worse then this. I played Discovery in college like nobodies business, then human after all came along and EVERYONE thought it was fake, and then when it wasn't, people were like o_________O

alive 2007 changed everything, made people appreciate the album more. (I loved it personally, but Discovery was better)

There's going to be 8539058305830850583058 remixes from the album, so I think it'll grow on people as the material settles in and people remember it for what it is, and not what it isn't.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
I'm betting they'll play it safe and give it a 7.3. High 6 or low 7 at least. That's what I'd throw at it. Mediocre but not the worst thing I've ever heard.

Doin' It Right and Contact are the best tracks on the album.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Photex posted:

I'm on a cruise and I literally just dropped a poo poo ton of money to grab this to listen to in the Bahamas

Couldn't disagree harder if I had an automatic disagreeing machine turned up to 11 with the knob broken off.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Listening to this in the Bahamas sounds absolutely wonderful. Does seem like an album that would benefit from the right setting like that.

Also, have come to the conclusion that I only really dislike/am indifferent to 2 songs on the album: Motherboard and Contact. If anyone has any good reasons to like those songs, other than listen on a good sound system (which I plan to do ASAP), please inform me.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Just heard it...pretty dull, not saying I need an album of bangers but I was expecting way more than overpolished AOR disco-lite.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

crankdatbatman posted:

Seems like my major Daft Punk fan friends have been pretty meh after listening to the stream.

If they actually used the term "pretty meh" to describe anything, ever, I would stop hanging out with them.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pitchfork gave a ton of advertising to M.I.A. shortly before her third album dropped, and they still trashed it.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

an skeleton posted:

Listening to this in the Bahamas sounds absolutely wonderful. Does seem like an album that would benefit from the right setting like that.

Also, have come to the conclusion that I only really dislike/am indifferent to 2 songs on the album: Motherboard and Contact. If anyone has any good reasons to like those songs, other than listen on a good sound system (which I plan to do ASAP), please inform me.

Man, Motherboard and Contact rock. I would love to listen to both of them on my sennheisers parked right here

I will say my biggest problem with Contact is the fact that its VERY uhhhh, grainy. I wish i could tone that down just a bit.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I feel like out of the two, Motherboard will grow on me. Contact just seemed silly. I thought it was going to be the one House Banger of the album, but it was not that. Not saying the album necessarily needs one, but still.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

somnambulist posted:

They're really good at pissing off people, Human After All was a million times worse then this. I played Discovery in college like nobodies business, then human after all came along and EVERYONE thought it was fake, and then when it wasn't, people were like o_________O

alive 2007 changed everything, made people appreciate the album more. (I loved it personally, but Discovery was better)

There's going to be 8539058305830850583058 remixes from the album, so I think it'll grow on people as the material settles in and people remember it for what it is, and not what it isn't.

Sometimes I think I should eliminate myself from DP conversations because I think Human After All was their best studio album and the hits from discovery (other than Harder Better Faster Stronger)just sounded like 90's poo poo that aged really poorly.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

NESguerilla posted:

I'm guessing it's because it features the most god awful vocal effect I have ever heard in a song that isn't J pop. I don't even know why they had him guest on the album if they were going to just completely ruin his voice. Also, that guitar(?) solo in the middle sounds like someone taking a dump into a trumpet.

I'm surprised a lot of people accused "Doin' it Right" of being a Panda Bear song snuck onto a DP album when "Instant Crush" exists. That's a Strokes song through and through.

bonzaisushi posted:

I will say my biggest problem with Contact is the fact that its VERY uhhhh, grainy. I wish i could tone that down just a bit.

It's so out of left field. But you've gone everywhere else on the album why not do the biggest ear destroying crescendo ever again

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

^burtle posted:

This is the Jamiroquai album I didn't know I wanted.

Agreeing with this. fragments of time could get dropped anywhere into Rock Dust Light Star and no one would know the difference at all.

Edit: After reading the Rolling Stone review I do credit Instant Crush for being outside of the box for JC. I wonder how robo-tortured the performance really is.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 14, 2013

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

chime_on posted:

I liked it all right, but it was pretty disappointing on a first listen when measured against my expectations. I guess I assumed that they were going to take this cast of legends and has-beens and work them into some grand artistic vision, but really they just made a decent midtempo space disco record. That's all well and good, but for my money it's not nearly as interesting as an actual 70s space disco record because it's way too high budget and slick. Whoever said it seemed like something you'd find in the 99-cent bin was pretty on the mark. It's like when you pick up some late 70s/early 80s Motown record by some no-name, and it sounds like a million bucks but it's ultimately pretty bland, and you never really put it on, and every so often you come across it when you're browsing your collection and you're just like "oh, yeah."

The Julian Casablancas song sounds like it could have come off his solo record that everyone seemed to hate (I liked it). The Paul Williams song sounds like a reject from Phantom of the Paradise. There were a couple of tracks that were pretty much what I'd hoped the Tron score was going to sound like. Why does the song with Todd Edwards sound like Gaucho-era Steely Dan? A large majority of the record kind of sounds like something Air might have made in the last 5-10 years to little hype or fanfare-- so many vocoded ballads. Weird that they kind of rock a Big Beat rhythm here and again.

I guess maybe I'm stuck in the past with these guys a little bit because I can put on Homework and still think it sounds great, whereas this one, Tron, and the Alive 2007 record just don't excite me. I'll give it some more time to sink in, maybe I'll pick it up, but I dunno, I was playing Crydamoure tracks at high volume yesterday afternoon and having a lot more fun with that than Random Access Memories.

I think if you know who Todd Edwards is outside of "Daft Punk collaborator" you're probably too clued in to like this album. I mean there is really no reason to get as hyped over this as some people in this thread are getting other than you don't listen to any other funk, disco or house and rely on Daft Punk records for your fix.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I think if you know who Todd Edwards is outside of "Daft Punk collaborator" you're probably too clued in to like this album. I mean there is really no reason to get as hyped over this as some people in this thread are getting other than you don't listen to any other funk, disco or house and rely on Daft Punk records for your fix.

Name some good funk and disco

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Grawl posted:

t:mad:

27, thank you very much.

What up, bro!

Loving the album. Found a 320 kbps leak and it's been on repeat for the last hours. Also got it on my phone to listen to it all day at work tomorrow and whenever I leave my computer for the rest of this year.
All the tracks sounds great in my ears, but Giorgio and Contact really takes off. Doesn't seem like they're ever going to land either, and I'm totally okay with that.
Can't wait to review it tomorrow!

Can't wait to destroy the engine on my turntable either. It'll be the best reason to upgrade and everything will be pure bliss.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can hear the compression with my Koss Pro/4AA headphones and my Sennheiser HD480s, but the bass on the Koss is amazing. Use some cans to listen, even at 192kbps.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Who ever imagined we'd hear a non-sampled slide guitar on a Daft Punk album? This poo poo is crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Woo. Just got an email saying my record has shipped.

From the UK... to Australia. God I hope it doesn't take long.

• Locked thread