Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I used the "bedonair sysadmin" line once and no one thought it was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Rollersnake posted:

Achewood on the cutting edge of making fun of nerds in fedoras. I didn't know that was prevalent enough to be a stereotype back in 2004.

I think the best part of that whole strip is Ray's defense of how "cool" his hat is, by saying it's a hat Dan Rather might wear. :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

withak posted:

I used the "bedonair sysadmin" line once and no one thought it was funny.
Well it's difficult to quote something without knowing what all the words mean, such as "debonair," and still have it be funny.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Woah what the hell happened to bug-eyed earl?

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

I think what gets me the most about this one is that the next page, Ray doesn't even bat an eyelid at the dark turn Beef's story took. It's just one of those things Beef does.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think Ray Goes to Hell is where I completely fell in love with Achewood. Not that there weren't a ton of great strips that preceded it, but I feel like that's one of the most brilliant arcs of the strip's entire run.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Rollersnake posted:

I think Ray Goes to Hell is where I completely fell in love with Achewood. Not that there weren't a ton of great strips that preceded it, but I feel like that's one of the most brilliant arcs of the strip's entire run.

Seriously. I think it beats all the Mexican Magical Realism stories, except maybe for Little Nephew Goes to Wales.

(edit: Todd's magical realism was North Korean. Totally different category.)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rollersnake posted:

I can pinpoint the strip where, on my first archive binge, I realized Achewood wasn't just a good comic, it was a great comic.

It's this one.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

I didn't realize just how long after this strip that Pat wore that hat!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Is caviar pretty good stuff Pat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ain't this just sick as hell

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

People had been asking about the middle cat

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

:smith:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

That one was funny because the day it came out, the image wouldn't load for me, and based on the alt-text (Gary is the man who can fix the Achewood machine. I have him on my phone.) I assumed that Gary was the site webmaster and that there was a Problem with the website.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
On one hand, I'm really hyped for the potential Achewood show, on the other hand it makes this imagining of the Gothic tune I just made instantly redundant.
Actually a win-win if you think about it.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Listed under Dork Resources.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Every time I click that I get the song in my head.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

woodenchicken posted:

On one hand, I'm really hyped for the potential Achewood show, on the other hand it makes this imagining of the Gothic tune I just made instantly redundant.

I feel like I just watched the world's best loading screen, with no progress bar, or anything loading.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

woodenchicken posted:

I kept expecting the camera to close in Ray's crotch until we got BELA LUGOSI'S DEAD.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I used a pre-existing gif, and it didn't include that :(

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

They played Thin Lizzy at the bar tonight. Could not think of anything else.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dude needs mane

quote:

These hand-made lion hats created by designer Yumiko Landers, from Seattle, Washington, come in a variety of colours- golden brown, black, grey, ivory and husky. The standard and traditional golden brown hat (above) costs £25, while the husky coloured hat costs £33.

:3:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Dude needs mane

I'm clicking on the picture, but the "buy now" button isn't appearing!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

For some reason I thought I didn't like the transfer station arc.

Upon rererereading it, I have discovered that I was wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cloks posted:

I distinctly remember people saying that they didn't want to see such a "heavy" story-arc in Achewood so soon after The Great Outdoor Fight had finished, and in particular not liking the idea of Philippe being in trouble, especially when they got their first look at Zell and Cory. Then, like a day later, this happened:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Jerusalem posted:

I distinctly remember people saying that they didn't want to see such a "heavy" story-arc in Achewood so soon after The Great Outdoor Fight had finished, and in particular not liking the idea of Philippe being in trouble, especially when they got their first look at Zell and Cory. Then, like a day later, this happened:

I love the little details in this strip, like the bulb for a sceptre.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cloks posted:

Oh man, and it's right before the underpants arc.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I love Ray's second bubble explanation here. It's something I try to use whenever possible

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There is a complicated power dynamic in that house.

I love that Pat is such a huge rear end in a top hat that he even speaks this way to serial murderer/terrifying person Nice Pete.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Jerusalem posted:

I love that Pat is such a huge rear end in a top hat that he even speaks this way to serial murderer/terrifying person Nice Pete.

Come to think of it, why hasn't Pete murdered Pay by now?

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Because there is a complicated power dynamic in that house.

Pay attention.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

HappyKitty posted:

Because there is a complicated power dynamic in that house.

Pay attention.

Guess he didn't take his teachers' words to heart.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Jerusalem posted:

Pat is just pissed off because Pete doesn't share his taste in TV shows:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Everything about this panel is perfect in a way that appears so effortless as to actually distract from its perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

Everything about this panel is perfect in a way that appears so effortless as to actually distract from its perfection.