Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, I don't understand how Kicktraq calculates its leaderboard. It's had Stonehearth consistently at the top for the past two weeks, even though other projects seem to be way out crazy ahead of them in terms of funding -- for example, Hex has garnered $100,000 more with a third as many backers in less than half the time.

Call me crazy but I feel like the more people willing to pay for something, even if the amount they are willing to pay is lower, is better than a minority willing to pay larger sums. So assuming the same number of people see each project the likely hood of someone pledging for Stonehearth is higher because it appeals to a greater audience. Now obviously there is some break even point where if the amount pledged per person drops below a threshold it's no longer in Stonehearths favor. So my guess is Kicktraq is somehow calculating those break even points to derive a ranking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Lambeth posted:

The fact that they only have 7 people is probably why they took that weird episodic development. They really should have assembled a larger team. One that didn't include Dyack.

That would be the team I would actually trust to make a successor to Eternal Darkness. To this day I have no idea how they managed to make something as brilliant as that, and they seem to be just as confused as I am.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Coldrice posted:

As far as I'm concerned your bitcrobes can poop rainbows and cause infertility in female players if you'd like!

My stretch goal is now $125 to get an android dev account and a android phone! I want to port the game by the fall

Whoops, I somehow dropped 50 bucks into this goal. How the heck did that happen?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Don Gato posted:

That would be the team I would actually trust to make a successor to Eternal Darkness. To this day I have no idea how they managed to make something as brilliant as that, and they seem to be just as confused as I am.

The long and short of it is that nintendo had a bigger hand in it than just being a publisher. If only Dyack and his ego understood this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Harlock posted:

PC and Wii U, that's uh, rather two platforms picked out of a hat.

It makes sense, really. PC because it's really hard to convince people to back a kickstarter that won't have a PC release, and Wii U because a lot of ED fans are Nintendo fans, and the developers worked with Nintendo in the past. It's pretty much everything else about the project that makes no sense. Their campaign wasn't getting nearly enough support to make their goal so... they're going to start a second campaign run in parallel? They don't realize that this won't expand the potential audience for it by a whole lot and will only serve to split what little funding they're getting between two sources? It pretty much guarantees that they will never make their funding goal. I don't get how they can be so incredibly bad at this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They don't realize that this won't expand the potential audience for it by a whole lot and will only serve to split what little funding they're getting between two sources?
Don't forget that on kickstarter they need to get all of their goal in order to get anything, unlike on their own site where they get it the instant you pledge.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

xgalaxy posted:

Call me crazy but I feel like the more people willing to pay for something, even if the amount they are willing to pay is lower, is better than a minority willing to pay larger sums. So assuming the same number of people see each project the likely hood of someone pledging for Stonehearth is higher because it appeals to a greater audience. Now obviously there is some break even point where if the amount pledged per person drops below a threshold it's no longer in Stonehearths favor. So my guess is Kicktraq is somehow calculating those break even points to derive a ranking.

That makes sense. Two god-forsaken fools (presumably, Gabe and Tycho) have pledged 10k each for Hex, so I imagine that's shifting the bid averages a bit.

I have to admit I don't get online card games. If I'm online I want to play a computer game. I'm not saying that as a value judgment, I just honestly don't understand -- I've still got my shoebox of Revised Edition MTG cards, but for me trading card games are like board games, they're something to play with actual flesh people, perhaps when the internet is down.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 14, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

That makes sense. Two god-forsaken fools (presumably, Gabe and Tycho) have pledged 10k each for Hex, so I imagine that's shifting the bid averages a bit.

I have to admit I don't get online card games. If I'm online I want to play a computer game. I'm not saying that as a value judgment, I just honestly don't understand -- I've still got my shoebox of Revised Edition MTG cards, but for me trading card games are like board games, they're something to play with actual flesh people, perhaps when the internet is down.

The real draw for an online CCG is limited play - Sealed/Draft. It's nice to be able to do something like that whenever you want, even/especially at oddball times.

Niton fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 14, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Lord Lambeth posted:

The long and short of it is that nintendo had a bigger hand in it than just being a publisher. If only Dyack and his ego understood this.
According to the Nintendo wikia:

quote:

The next year [Miyamoto would] be a huge influence over Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, an American made game in which Miyamoto heavily assisted.
A huge surprise to everyone, I'm sure.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ok, I don't understand how Kicktraq calculates its leaderboard. It's had Stonehearth consistently at the top for the past two weeks, even though other projects seem to be way out crazy ahead of them in terms of funding -- for example, Hex has garnered $100,000 more with a third as many backers in less than half the time.

I'm pretty sure the top 10 on the front of Kicktraq is based entirely on the number of views the Kicktraq page for that project has received today, and has nothing to do with funds or backers.

Edit: Ok it's not quite that simple, but it still boils down to a popularity contest amongst your backers and project viewers who are Kicktraq members http://blog.kicktraq.com/kicktraq-hotlist-heroes-vs-villains/

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 14, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

Around 10 full-time people and you'll meet all of us this week in a Kickstarter update.
Will the Hex people be modifying cards after a set is released? Is there a chance for some long-reaching errata the likes of which we've never seen in a paper TCG? What I'm saying is, considering it's a purely digital TCG there would be no reason to leave a broken card alone. It would be neat if they announced their policy on this in advance.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Do you have people willing to play Magic or board games at any time of the day during any day of the week? ( Even if you do, there are people who don't. ) I only had 3 friends who played magic growing up and now they are all over the country. I still really enjoy Magic, but i'm not going to go play at some local comic book shop with people probably half my age. So i'm glad it's available online along with many popular board games and that seems like a weird thing to not understand.

I backed Hex so hard and even if it is similar to MTG that's fine by me. The PVE stuff sounds really interesting, I had a lot of fun playing MTG on XBLA with the game modes where you and a few others try to take on an over powered deck.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 14, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

NTRabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure the top 10 on the front of Kicktraq is based entirely on the number of views the Kicktraq page for that project has received today, and has nothing to do with funds or backers.

Edit: Ok it's not quite that simple, but it still boils down to a popularity contest amongst your backers and project viewers who are Kicktraq members http://blog.kicktraq.com/kicktraq-hotlist-heroes-vs-villains/

What, that is total bullshit. It certainly explains why projects would randomly appear and disappear from the top 10 though.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

ReV VAdAUL posted:

What, that is total bullshit. It certainly explains why projects would randomly appear and disappear from the top 10 though.
Yeah their business model is basically to make a chart that people pay attention to and that requires other people to spam advertise to actually benefit from. It's dumb and they should feel bad.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And now, for comedy: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals

For some reason they thought it was a smart idea to ask for $1.35 million more when their own crowdfunding site so far has only raised 10% of their $1.5 million goal after a week's time.

It might only be me, but I like to look at the project starter, and how many (which) projects they've backed. Some projects only back a few, which is fine, other projects back tons, which is awesome. It gives the sense that they didn't just sign up for money, but also to give something back.

These guys haven't backed anyone. Like, at all. Not even a token Ouya backing.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

The Gripper posted:

Yeah their business model is basically to make a chart that people pay attention to and that requires other people to spam advertise to actually benefit from. It's dumb and they should feel bad.
What? How is 'make something useful and make money from it' a bad idea? A hotlist that is tied to what their community is looking at is hardly unreasonable.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Darkhold posted:

What? How is 'make something useful and make money from it' a bad idea? A hotlist that is tied to what their community is looking at is hardly unreasonable.
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm saying I think it's dumb. A lot of people think it's actual charts of trending kickstarter stuff and their FAQ is more or less "want to be popular? pester your fans to sign up with us".

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Darkhold posted:

It is at the very least misleading to prominently provide graphs of Kickstarter's progress and then have their top ten be wholly unrelated to it. There is no indication that the top ten list is specifically tied to their community. The majority of people visiting Kicktraq are doing so to see general trends, not seeking out Kicktraq user's preferences.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'm still failing to see the problem. It's their 'hotlist' they can order it how they want? If other people are misunderstanding how it works they should put 'Kicktraq's Hotlist' on it or something but other than that it's not up to them to beat people over the head with it.

Also telling people that if they want to be part of their list they have to tell people how the list works is pretty straightforward. Though I admit that FAQ was pretty weird/lovely.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It is at the very least misleading to prominently provide graphs of Kickstarter's progress and then have their top ten be wholly unrelated to it. There is no indication that the top ten list is specifically tied to their community. The majority of people visiting Kicktraq are doing so to see general trends, not seeking out Kicktraq user's preferences.

If the majority of Kicktraq users are looking for general trends, won't Kicktraq users' preferences be the trendiest projects and thus reflected in the list?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Fuschia tude posted:

If the majority of Kicktraq users are looking for general trends, won't Kicktraq users' preferences be the trendiest projects and thus reflected in the list?

While there will likely be some overlap, as aforementioned Kicktraq actively encourages projects to skew the results by getting their supporters to join en masse and promote their project.

If Kicktraq want to do that, that is their right but strongly implying their malleable list is the a more accurate list is something worthy of complaint. Kicktraq can do as they like but I don't have to like it, although of course it is not the end of the world.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Iacen posted:

It might only be me, but I like to look at the project starter, and how many (which) projects they've backed. Some projects only back a few, which is fine, other projects back tons, which is awesome. It gives the sense that they didn't just sign up for money, but also to give something back.

There are people who donate to a ton of failing projects just to pump up their number.

There was some guy who managed to donate to like 50 crappy projects. Only 1 got funded. According to you he's a great guy who wasn't cynically trying to pump up the number to fool people.

If you're running a kickstarter, you're looking for money for something. I wouldn't assign any goal beyond that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 14, 2013

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Toffile posted:

There are people who donate to a ton of failing projects just to pump up their number.

There was some guy who managed to donate to like 50 crappy projects. Only 1 got funded. According to you he's a great guy who wasn't cynically trying to pump up the number to fool people.

If you're running a kickstarter, you're looking for money for something. I wouldn't assign any goal beyond that.

You can see if the projects failed. I guess if you just looked at the number, you wouldn't be able to tell an active member from a liar, but a quick glance at the list gives it away.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Speaking of backing too many projects, Grim Dawn's Alpha starts TOMORROW! :woop:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

lethial posted:

Speaking of backing too many projects, Grim Dawn's Alpha starts TOMORROW! :woop:

Probably too much to hope that the game still makes the August estimate, right?

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Probably too much to hope that the game still makes the August estimate, right?

Yeah I would think so. Though if everything goes alright then the game might actually be released in Aug. I really really hope that people will playtest instead of whining about bugs for this alpha...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Iacen posted:

To be fair (not sure why I bother being fair to those guys, but whatever), they did just create that account. They're Canadian and it took a while for them to set up something so they can even run a Kickstarter project.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krillbite/among-the-sleep/posts/480797?ref=activity

Free Alpha for Among the Sleep is up to download.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

lethial posted:

The Grim Dawn Kickstarter thread is closed and I sent a PM to the OP asking if they could open it. If not, would it be cool if I (or someone else if they really wanted to) made a new thread for the game tomorrow?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fookolt posted:

The Grim Dawn Kickstarter thread is closed and I sent a PM to the OP asking if they could open it. If not, would it be cool if I (or someone else if they really wanted to) made a new thread for the game tomorrow?

Thanks for your consideration. Be my guest if you'd like to make a new one. The thread we had from a year ago would probably confuse people with its title.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Drifter posted:

Thanks for your consideration. Be my guest if you'd like to make a new one. The thread we had from a year ago would probably confuse people with its title.

Awesome; thanks :)

I'll make the thread today and post it when the alpha comes out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

lethial posted:

Oh man, that game is still in development even? I backed it way back when they started doing their founder/pre-order thing and forgot about it. Awesome.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Hex sent an update today about their crafting system, i think it sounds pretty awesome.

quote:

Cards that you have too many of or don't have a use for can be broken down into crafting materials, which can then be used to make cards exclusive to the crafting system for use in the PVE campaign.

Sounds like an awesome idea for useless cards or doubles.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
The new video TUG posted has made me even less confident about backing them, I think I'll withdraw my pledge. It just seems like a whole bunch of handwaving... them still not really letting any concrete game info would still be kinda okay, but with almost nothing to show for it except the same drat "throw red balls around a landscape" demo it leaves a lot to be desired.

E: Also, I don't know if anyone else pledged to Cults RL, but I just caught up with it after seeing it's had its name changed and everything. While some of the obnoxious atheists were being typically entitled with their response to it, I am kind of worried that the game is going to get crippled because the dev feels uncomfortable having religious aspects in it. I mean, it was called "Cults" .... that's kind of what he sold it on.

bomblol fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 14, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

bomblol posted:

The new video TUG posted has made me even less confident about backing them, I think I'll withdraw my pledge. It just seems like a whole bunch of handwaving... them still not really letting any concrete game info would still be kinda okay, but with almost nothing to show for it except the same drat "throw red balls around a landscape" demo it leaves a lot to be desired.

Yep, I'm thinking about withdrawing my pledge as well. Their regular email updates are way too idea-guys-y, with nothing that stands out as actual solid game development.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, I think I'm done with TUG, too much idea man stuff not enough actual concept. Stonehearth, on the other hand, has tons of idea man stuff and the proof of concept to go with it, so maybe I'll bump my pledge up by ten bucks or something for them.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

They also just got fully funded, awesome!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea, I think I'm done with TUG, too much idea man stuff not enough actual concept. Stonehearth, on the other hand, has tons of idea man stuff and the proof of concept to go with it, so maybe I'll bump my pledge up by ten bucks or something for them.

I have to chuckle at this comment because on the one hand I see Stonehearth and its being made by some guys who have been in the trenches of development before and have seen things to the other side, and on the other hand there is TUG with its army of PhD folks who have probably never actually produced an honest to god product before going off on how they got these big plans. It mirrors my experience with PhDs in the workforce.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yay, bitcrobes Android!

I am a poor but I was gonna do a last-hour push it over the line if it didn't make the stretch goal, but now I'll spend it on lunch instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I haven't seen this posted yet, and I apologize if it has been and I just missed it, but holy poo poo, someone is making an official licensed game based on the Redwall books.

I loving ADORED these as a kid, so I hope this turns out at least decent. The only stuff they have to show at the moment are some (admittedly pretty) empty environments.