Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

Someone get a hold of this guy and tell him to skip the filler.

I never really found One Piece filler to be that bad or even that noticeable. Especially when you have them all in a row to watch.

I'd rather they do some filler soon instead of all this super super slow pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shadow0 posted:

I never really found One Piece filler to be that bad or even that noticeable. Especially when you have them all in a row to watch.

I'd rather they do some filler soon instead of all this super super slow pacing.

I didn't know on my first watch through and I outright hated the Apis arc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

Really? Oh look, a kid showed up and the plot is suddenly revolving around them. The only exceptions are the 90% of the time Foxy shows up(which suck), solo crew member episodes that aren't flashbacks or part of an arc(usually not terrible, but not good), and the post Skypeia G8 arc( which most people actually like).

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
So when this Foxy guy shows up, just skip it? I don't mind some filler, honestly. The Apis arc wasn't THAT bad, honestly. I'm watching the Funimation dubs and they dropped 'We Are!' like 40 episodes in and replaced it with some garbage poo poo that I guess they think American children need to hear in order to think its good, I really loved We Are! because it was so goddamn cheerful. I just got to the point where Tony Tony Chopper is introduced, and he kicked the double-headed guys rear end. The whole thing with Chopper doing the thing with the beast modes and xXN0SC0P1NGXx was pretty cringeworthy, honestly. I don't mind Anime characters screaming their signature moves when they do it but that was a bit much. I guess Luffy is gonna go wreck Wapol's poo poo now.

e. I don't mind the character background episodes either.

e2. I also keep listening to this over and over and over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsKq-rWuO0M

The music, and the really beautifully painted scenes in this show are keeping me pinned to it almost as much as the characters at the moment.

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 13, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The first time that Foxy shows up is only half filler. When you're at a filler part you'll pretty much know because it's not as good an idea or execution of an idea as the other parts. Still his first appearance is fine.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Foxy showing up the first time isn't filler. The next two times he does show up is filler. also We Are! was only the opening for like 47 episodes. Are you watching this in English?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Senor Candle posted:

Foxy showing up the first time isn't filler. The next two times he does show up is filler. also We Are! was only the opening for like 47 episodes. Are you watching this in English?

I watch it in English when I'm watching it on my second monitor, and then subbed when I'm actually sitting down to watch it. I don't mind the audio disparity that much. I have a lot of this poo poo to get through.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Ape Fist posted:

I'm watching the Funimation dubs and they dropped 'We Are!' like 40 episodes in and replaced it with some garbage poo poo that I guess they think American children need to hear in order to think its good, I really loved We Are! because it was so goddamn cheerful.

Actually, it's just a translation of the original song that was used. Funimation has been pretty good at sticking to the source material, even when redoing the music. However, I agree the song is terrible. So is the original. I guess funimation decided they needed a lovely singer to match it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8IHRr9iniA

If you can hold out to 116, you'll get the best One Piece opening song. The english translation is just as good as the original and I only wish the entire song was translated.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Fist posted:

The music, and the really beautifully painted scenes in this show are keeping me pinned to it almost as much as the characters at the moment.

God, I loving love the music in One Piece. I haven't seen the actual anime in a couple months now, but I still put the music on from time to time.

Here's basically everything, including music from the movies. I've listened this entire 7 hour compilation at least a dozen times now and I still can't pick a favourite song because they're all so good.

EDIT: I guess there's some music spoilers in there? Would you even care if you heard a song before it appears in the show? It's all background music anyway, no intros/outros, and really I don't think any scene in One Piece would be less effective if you heard the background music beforehand.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 14, 2013

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

EDIT: I guess there's some music spoilers in there? Would you even care if you heard a song before it appears in the show? It's all background music anyway, no intros/outros, and really I don't think any scene in One Piece would be less effective if you heard the background music beforehand.

Don't care.

edit:

I actually preferred We Are! over this. It was a bit teenyboppy. But it is better in the original Japanese.

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 14, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ape Fist posted:

Don't care.

edit:

I actually preferred We Are! over this. It was a bit teenyboppy. But it is better in the original Japanese.

A hahaha hahaha.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

quote:

Romance Dawn : 1-3
Buggy Arc: 4-8
Captain Kuro Arc: 9-17
Don Krieg Arc: 18-30
Arlong Arc: 31-44
Buggy side story: 45-47
Logue town : 48-53 (50,51 filler)

[Warship island Arc: 54-60
terrible filler don't bother watching but read spoiler tag
explains that the calm belt surronds the grand line, this basically has no current/wind is unsailable for pirate ships and has larger then normal seakings.]
Episode 61 is half filler half canon

Whiskey peak Arc: 62-67
Coby/Helmeppo Side Story: 68-69
Little Garden Arc: 70-77
Drum Island Arc: 78-91
Arabasta Arc: 92-130 (93,98,99,101,102 are filler)

[Post Arabasta Arc: 131-135 Basically recap how ppl joined crew
Goat island arc: 136-138 (debatedly the worst filler in the series, definitely don't bother watching)
Rainbow Mist Arc: 139-143 (as far as filler goes this isn't too bad, if you wanna give any filler a chance i'd recommend this one)]

Jaya Arc: 144-152
Skypiea Arc: 153-195

[G8 Arc: 196-206]

Davy Back Fight Arc: 207-219 (213-216 are filler)

[Memory Arc: 220-224
Return of foxy: 225-226]

226 is mostly filler
Water 7 Arc: 227-263
Enies lobby: 264-312 (279-283 filler about how strawhats joined crew recap, 291-292 and 303)
Post enies lobby arc: 313-325 (317-319 filler)

[Ice hunter arc: 326-336]

Thriller bark arc : 337-381

[Spa island: 382-384]

Saboady Archipelago: 385-405
Boss luffy: 406-7 filler
Amazon Lily: 408-421
Impel down: 422-425, 430-452
(426-429 are specials relating to movie 10 which will be written by oda there awful but linked to movie 10 you don't really need to watch them to watch movie 10
Strawhat whereabouts: 453-456
Story recap: 457-458
Whitebeard War Saga: 459-489
Post war-arc: 490-516 (492, 497-499, 506 filler)
Return to Sabaody: 517-522
Fishman Island Arc: 523-574 (542 filler)
Z's ambition arc: 575-578 filler
Punk Hazard: 579 onwards

Someones list I came across. Anything in brackets is a filler 'arc'

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 14, 2013

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Ape Fist posted:

Don't care.

edit:

That's opening two I was talking about. Opening 3 was the best opening and I didn't link to that.

Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSXT-xFTh4Y

English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5svxuS3L9_s (also spoilers in the video if you care. Just switch tabs and listen)

Also, the Boss Luffy arc filler stuff is fine. Throwing the viewer into an alternate universe of the crew is enjoyable. My only beef with it was when they stuck it in the middle of another arc.

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 14, 2013

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Memory Arc and Return of Foxy should be marked as filler in that list.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God drat it Hikari E is so loving good. It's so drat One Piece. I REALLY wish that they'd had Vic do the full song instead of just an OP's worth.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

IMO, the only song that's come close to its greatness is the more recent one, We Go.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

God drat it Hikari E is so loving good. It's so drat One Piece. I REALLY wish that they'd had Vic do the full song instead of just an OP's worth.

Too bad it spoiled a BIG twist for anime-only watchers, I'd regard it better if not for that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I haven't been watching the show lately, but have they switched to the new opening yet?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Petiso posted:

Too bad it spoiled a BIG twist for anime-only watchers, I'd regard it better if not for that.

It's why I warned of the video being a spoiler.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Sekkira posted:

IMO, the only song that's come close to its greatness is the more recent one, We Go.

I'm a big fan of Brand New World also, but yeah those are all great openings.

If you are watching the anime and are the kind of guy who likes manga, I'd switch over to the manga completely around Thriller Bark.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

If you are watching the anime and are the kind of guy who likes manga, I'd switch over to the manga completely around Thriller Bark.

Seconding this, Thriller Bark is where the anime's pacing gets shot in the foot so to speak.

For the most part it's the usual 2 chapters per episode deal before Thriller Bark, but I think around then is when they decided it'd be fine to go 1 chapter an episode?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

And then go to youtube for Tactics 15.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Share the World, Map of the Heart, and Fight Together are some of my all time favorite openings; do they not get much love?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KoB posted:

And then go to youtube for Tactics 15.

You'd also have to go to Youtube for Luffy's actions at the auction house.

While the quality of the anime takes a dip, I don't think it gets too bad until Marineford. Impel Down's got some dragging, but it's decent enough.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gyges posted:

You'd also have to go to Youtube for Luffy's actions at the auction house.
Naw that's on hulu

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Petiso posted:

I know, I was so surprised when Giant Island-Sized Dolphin joined the crew. I don't think anyone saw that coming! Boy, it leads to some wacky antics down the road let me tell you.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Share the World, Map of the Heart, and Fight Together are some of my all time favorite openings; do they not get much love?

We just don't mention the best opening, since it's obvious to everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ancwu_9KFTk

I love Fight Together too, it's like the only double-sized op that doesn't feel drawn out to me.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

I actually thought the Sabaody Archipelago Arc was far better than the manga, the new characters are all voiced well, good music and some episodes are near movie quality animation.
I'd defiantly watch that arc rather than read it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, Sabaody was probably one of the best examples of "anime over manga" for One Piece. Just really well done and the addition of color really helps to make that place more than others stand out.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

We should try to make a list of anime highlights everyone should see, specially post-Enies Lobby stuff.

You know, things like Sogeking's intro, Big Emperor, the mentioned auction house scene...

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I love what they did with the end of the Sabaody arc. It's one of those episodes I really wish anime would be full 24fps rather than 14.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah, the few times that Luffy completely breaks down the anime actually does a good job of showing.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I find Bartholomew Kuma to be one of my favorite characters, so any arcs where he plays a role are highly enjoyable to me. I also think his VA is spot on what i would expect. In that regard Sabaody is one of my favorite arcs (Not to mention all the other fantastic stuff in there).

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
"HEY!!! EVERYONE!!! THE MONSTER IS WEAK AGAINST WATER!!! WATER IS HIS WEAKNESS!!! WATER!!! My plan is flawless, everyone bask in how amazingly smart and awesome I am."

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Can't wait to see this Clown get punched. Most annoying villain to listen to since Gecko Moria.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I didn't think the animation and artwork could get worse lately, but this recent episode just made me shake my head in disbelief. It looked goddamn awful the whole way through. I think I'm just gonna stop watching the anime from now on, the show's quality has dropped off so badly I don't care anymore.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I watch the anime to hear the voice acting and occasionally the music, not to see it in motion, they could just do voice overs on scrolling images of the manga panels and I'd still watch it every week.

Although I do think the series would benefit considerably if it were done in 12 minute episodes instead of 24 minute episodes. That way a 1:1 chapter:episode adaptation would rarely have pacing issues.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's always somewhat confusing who they consider a Logia type and who they consider only Paramecia. Like Luffy is made out of rubber, so that sounds more like Logia to me. Also now they are claiming Magellan was only Paramecia too? He seemed more Logia than Blackbeard is. At least Zoan is always clear.

It'll be interesting if Smoker and Caesar fight since they basically have the same ability, except Caesar is basically Smoker with extra abilities.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Shadow0 posted:

It's always somewhat confusing who they consider a Logia type and who they consider only Paramecia. Like Luffy is made out of rubber, so that sounds more like Logia to me. Also now they are claiming Magellan was only Paramecia too? He seemed more Logia than Blackbeard is. At least Zoan is always clear.

It'll be interesting if Smoker and Caesar fight since they basically have the same ability, except Caesar is basically Smoker with extra abilities.

Magellan's always been paramecia, and people have been saying that since day one. Some people thought he was a logia, but to be a logia you have to control and be made of your "element". Luffy is made of rubber, but he cant like, make tyres and throw them at people. Magellan's power is like Mr 3's, he just secretes poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Luffy's body has the properties of rubber but it ISN'T rubber, nor he can turn into rubber.