Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
A prophetic quote from the Rolling Stone review of Homework:

quote:

"the duo's essential, career-defining insight is that the problem with disco the first time around was not that it was stupid but that it was not stupid enough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I keep hearing "this isn't dance music" but I can seriously groove to at least half of these songs. Even Get Lucky, which I'm pretty burned out on, is very easy to get the feet moving in step to.

It's not four-to-the-floor hosue music, no, but For fucks sake that's a boring style of music and it hasn't been interesting since, well, Homework. Daft Punk took a handful of old styles, added their special brand of french cheese, and modernized things a bit. Pharell could have been left out of the album but otherwise this is a very good album and if my fat rear end can get up and dance to this, the people in here who are more than likely way more fit than me shouldn't have a goddam issue.

Saying it's not a dance album, jesus. It's not a modern dance album. It's not house. It's not beep boop club house music, but it is dance music, and the kind I've personally been expecting and waiting for ever since they started teasing Get Lucky.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

hemophilia posted:

I keep hearing "this isn't dance music" but I can seriously groove to at least half of these songs. Even Get Lucky, which I'm pretty burned out on, is very easy to get the feet moving in step to.

It's not four-to-the-floor hosue music, no, but For fucks sake that's a boring style of music and it hasn't been interesting since, well, Homework. Daft Punk took a handful of old styles, added their special brand of french cheese, and modernized things a bit. Pharell could have been left out of the album but otherwise this is a very good album and if my fat rear end can get up and dance to this, the people in here who are more than likely way more fit than me shouldn't have a goddam issue.

Saying it's not a dance album, jesus. It's not a modern dance album. It's not house. It's not beep boop club house music, but it is dance music, and the kind I've personally been expecting and waiting for ever since they started teasing Get Lucky.

It's hard to get this excited for disco for a lot of us.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i don't think it's dance music because it doesn't really make me want to dance (with the exception of a few songs). breakbot made a far more "dance-y" modern french disco album just this year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is this the buildup to Disco Demolition Night 2013? Everyone's gonna hurt Nile Rodgers feelings and make him compare Disco haters to the Nazis all over again?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
As someone who loves Discovery, thinks Human After All has its merits, but has no time for Homework, I think this is an excellent album. I fuckin love easy listening future disco.

I've used up half my month's data allowance streaming the album all day over 3G so I'm also an idiot.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Finally remembered what the quote in Contact is from. It's parts of a conversation spliced together about Apollo stage cast-offs

Google Books link.

But you see it quoted a lot by UFOlogists and other conspiracy nutters because of the spliced track released decades ago.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Just read Billboard's review.

They didn't really care too much for "Giorgio by Morodor", so I don't really care too much for their review.

quote:

3. Giorgio by Moroder - An interesting idea -- Italian dance king Giorgio Moroder talks about his various music experiences and tricks of the trade before Daft Punk take the reins and pump the jams -- is harder to swallow when pinned as the longest song and crucial third track of the album. A better tribute would have been a more cohesive song.

e: I knew "Beyond" reminded me of another song. Freezepops "Less Talk More Rokk", but that may just be me.

Datasmurf fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 14, 2013

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

This album is going to yield some amazing remixes. Also, Alive 2014 is going to be incredible.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Wouldn't that be Alive 2017?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Alive 5555

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I think I like almost every song on this album in some way or another. However, I think I'd like Touch better if it didn't have that weird ghostly bit at the start, and just went right into Paul Williams singing. I actually kind of like his older voice, but not when it's modulated.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

hemophilia posted:

It's not four-to-the-floor hosue music, no, but For fucks sake that's a boring style of music and it hasn't been interesting since, well, Homework.

I'm fairly sure you don't have anywhere near the requisite experience to make that judgement, especially considering the only reason Daft Punk took off over the legions of other people rinsing that sound is because they got signed to a major label, released an album rather than 12"s, and dressed up as robots.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 14, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, actually got the chance to listen to this album now, and it is not what I expected, but exactly what I wanted. It does feel like an album I have to sit down and listen to in full, though; while I have no problem with this, it's gonna make it hard to incorporate it into the music I listen to. I mean, Giorgio by Moroder is great, but it's going to be hard to get into when it starts with what sounds like an interview from a documentary about the birth of electronic music and you're not already into the groove.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I want to hear a mash-up of Zapp and Roger's More Bounce to the Ounce and Lose Yourself to Dance. After a day of repeated listening, Lose Yourself to Dance is turning into my favorite track.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

OniKun posted:

Production wise, the album is absolutely solid. I don't think a single instrument or sound is used on more than one song. Every noise, every instrument, and every vocal all meshes together perfectly on a song-by-song basis.
I agree with this. The album is immaculately produced, but it IS just a bunch of cheesy mom music. I think the music is totally uninspired, over-the-hill, stuff you'd hear in an overpriced restaurant on a Friday night. You wouldn't know these guys used to be the biggest filter disco house duo in the world.

Now I'll say I may be jaded on Daft Punk. I've been around for a minute, I remember the years build up to Human After All, the "this can't be daft punk, must be a fake leak", the immediate hatred and then eventual classic status. So maybe I'll come around. I appreciate their attempt to make something new and unique, to branch out and come out of left field, and production-wise, they accomplish that. But I also think this is obviously their worst album to date. Nothing exciting, nothing uptempo, just a bunch of songs that sound like they could be from FUNK YOURSELF, the local funk/soul/disco/70s-la-rock cover band.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 14, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

hemophilia posted:

It's not four-to-the-floor hosue music, no, but For fucks sake that's a boring style of music and it hasn't been interesting since, well, Homework. Daft Punk took a handful of old styles, added their special brand of french cheese, and modernized things a bit.

"A few vocoders and autotuning" isn't really "modernized" as much as it's "disco plus an effect." The reason people are saying this isn't dance music is because by the definition you're trying to use a Waltz is considered "dance music" and people tend to have some attachment to that term.

Seriously, some of us don't mind the disco inspirations that frequently come part and parcel with French House, but that's more because they took something from disco and made it sound different and likable, not because we really want to hear some more disco.

spaceship posted:

This album is going to yield some amazing remixes. Also, Alive 2014 is going to be incredible.

This I'll probably agree with.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

It'd actually be really awesome if a bunch of producers chopped up stabs from this record and made a really heavy Daft Punk sounding record out of it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Wouldn't it make more sense to start giving some other french house producers working in a similar style some credit rather than relying on others to polish a turd so it lives up to our expectations?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

It wouldn't complete the circle as poetically, but of course. I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary french producers, but I'm down. Basically, any songs that aren't these ones.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Seriously, some of us don't mind the disco inspirations that frequently come part and parcel with French House, but that's more because they took something from disco and made it sound different and likable, not because we really want to hear some more disco.

What the gently caress? How could you possibly like French house and not like disco?

edit: Okay I get what you're saying but the problem with this album isn't that it's disco, it's that it's bad. Like if it sounded like an album of Larry Levan mixes that would be just fine with me.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 14, 2013

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
I'm pretty sure I've read the whole thread and haven't seen anyone post this yet, but as far as remixes go, Justice has been playing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY4DAT0_TrY

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I think I like the record as a collection of music but it does nothing for me as a collection of songs. I like the way things sound but it's really more background music. As songs, it fell quite below my expectations. There really isn't anything I would want on repeat.

They still do some interesting stuff like "Contact" but I don't expect to hear much of this record a month from now.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
While the album is different it is in no way terrible. I think the worst part of the album is Contact, but only because it gives a glimpse of what could have been. Sounds like it could have come directly off of Discovery. Really really fantastic way to either end or begin the album (in a lot of ways I'm jealous of those who started off thinking it was the intro)

A lot of the songs have a good groove to them, but again, it caught me off guard due to previous albums. Some songs are really slow but have a nice groove with them so it balances out a bit. Really disappointed by Touch, though to be fair I read into it far too much (reading the first listen leaks). Beyond / Motherboard did not do much for me on my first and second listen. But I'd argue tracks such as Giorgio / Instant Crush / Doin' it right / Contact are some of Daft Punks finest and really helps the price of admission.

And of course, all of this will sound ten times better when Alive 20-whenever drops.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

What the gently caress? How could you possibly like French house and not like disco?

It's really not that hard? Disco had elements that when readapted into a house setting work really well, but I don't find disco on its own even slightly enjoyable? I know I'm not alone in this.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm really digging this album. It's not quite what I was expecting, but I'm not let down by a single track and it's pretty good to just turn on and chill out with while working.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Panda Bear and Daft Punk need to make an entire album together because that track is too addicting.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
You kids aren't ready for this album, but your dads are gonna love it.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 14, 2013

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In other daft punk news

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

In other daft punk news

Maybe he'll Get Lucky and his dream will come true.

excellentcoffee
Nov 1, 2007

Phantom
Having listened to it roughly four times now, I hope this is their last album.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

I agree with this. The album is immaculately produced, but it IS just a bunch of cheesy mom music. I think the music is totally uninspired, over-the-hill, stuff you'd hear in an overpriced restaurant on a Friday night. You wouldn't know these guys used to be the biggest filter disco house duo in the world.

Now I'll say I may be jaded on Daft Punk. I've been around for a minute, I remember the years build up to Human After All, the "this can't be daft punk, must be a fake leak", the immediate hatred and then eventual classic status. So maybe I'll come around. I appreciate their attempt to make something new and unique, to branch out and come out of left field, and production-wise, they accomplish that. But I also think this is obviously their worst album to date. Nothing exciting, nothing uptempo, just a bunch of songs that sound like they could be from FUNK YOURSELF, the local funk/soul/disco/70s-la-rock cover band.

This record is the new Dark Side of the Moon. A good, long article about the production would be way more interesting than the record itself.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

edit: Okay I get what you're saying but the problem with this album isn't that it's disco, it's that it's bad. Like if it sounded like an album of Larry Levan mixes that would be just fine with me.

That's exactly what I listened to after I turned this off. Like I sincerely wish all the dudes going crazy about RAM would just spend the rest of their day listening to random Larry Levan mixes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, the more I think about this album the more I realize that the problem isn't that it's a "terrible" album, it's that I've heard the style of music on this album done so much better already. I'm a johnny-come-lately when it comes to Daft Punk, and I've only really started listening to them within the last couple of years, but I've heard so many albums influenced by them by now that when I hear Random Access Memories it actually sounds like knock-off of other Daft Punk-inspired bands.

Justice is now a better Daft Punk than Daft Punk is. I guess what I'm saying is that Guy-Manuel and Thomas should surrender their robot helmets to the dudes from Justice, and Justice should just be Daft Punk from here on out.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hahaha I love the gently caress out of Justice but if you're seeking shelter from this album Im not sure Id suggest running to the two guys who just shucked the exact same fanbase to make an awesome campy as gently caress prog rock record

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's really not that hard? Disco had elements that when readapted into a house setting work really well, but I don't find disco on its own even slightly enjoyable? I know I'm not alone in this.
Honestly that is pretty weird to me, yes. Like, we're talking italo as well?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

In other daft punk news

Any time you see something like that, it is almost certainly just copied and pasted from someplace else.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22I+am+currently+21+years+old+and+I+want+to+become+a+walrus%22

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah I had friends who were actually all musically pretty plugged in and they all made fun of me for liking lovely EDM Cher vocoder music. I knew it had something since it was all over the place that summer though.

Yeah, I remember the release of every Daft Punk album being met by "WTF is this poo poo?" from just about everyone I talked to who wasn't *seriously* on board. Daft Punk albums are like operating systems.

StrangeWhatLoveDoes
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Stokowski, we need more dinosaurs.
I really wanted to like this album but, well, it's bland as hell Whoever compared it to Air's recent efforts is right on the money - RAM's squeaky clean production has the effect of revealing all to clearly just how mediocre they've become as songwriters, probably due in part to their long absences from making music (I thought the blandness of Tron was a bad omen and that turned out to be the case). They should concentrate less on the hype machine and more on writing songs that don't sound like deep cuts on bad 70s albums or B-sides on the latest Strokes/Julian Casablancas abomination.

Seriously, the Travis Barker drum jams on a few of the tracks sound just awful. I have no idea how DP could let that stuff onto an album.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If there's one thing that's certain about this album it's that the boys need to order up a third dreadlocked robo helmet design and officially induct Nile Rodgers into the band. Everytime he's on a track it's a highlight.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I guess you're all waiting impatiently for the remix album then.

I'm extremely happy with what I've got, but I guess a remix album will be nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just want to weigh in on the subject of Justice as 'the new Daft Punk' or whatever, since I only heard about them this year, when I made a Daft Punk Pandora station and they were thrown up at me with as much frequency as Deadmau5.

I appreciate them, but in no way are they 'the new Daft Punk', or the any Daft Punk. Maybe I'm getting a biased sampling, because that station really likes throwing Phantom Pt. II and especially D.A.N.C.E. at me, but it seems like a lot of their sound is very 'hard', an almost brutal sound that is not entirely unlike being punched in the face (and I mean that in the best possible way). And that's not what I know Daft Punk for, I know them for the softer material that composed a fair amount of Discovery, most of what I've heard from Homework, and the entirety of Random Access Memories.

If you think Justice is anything like Daft Punk's actual material, we're clearly not listening to the same Justice. I'd like to be proven wrong, but my slightly sleep-addled mind can't think of any evidence otherwise that I'm aware of.

• Locked thread