Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Seymour Butts posted:

Added. First day playing in almost a week and still getting over a nasty cold.

Made a room: AMGOONS

drat, Hero Cards are still broken?

If you were Joey Aces, sorry, I was getting lag, dunno if it was you or me. I keep getting lag and none of my inputs I practice in practice/single player seem to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Alright!

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Interstellar Owl posted:

If you were Joey Aces, sorry, I was getting lag, dunno if it was you or me. I keep getting lag and none of my inputs I practice in practice/single player seem to go through.

They should be going through fine, just on a delay. If you're failing inputs on cancels or are completing strings you don't want to, you might be panic mashing. The game really, really wants clean inputs and punishes extra button presses in ways most games games don't really seem to do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can't meter burn Lobo's anti-air throw in training. Is there some weird timing to it?

I haven't tried him in a real match.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

checkstock posted:

They should be going through fine, just on a delay. If you're failing inputs on cancels or are completing strings you don't want to, you might be panic mashing. The game really, really wants clean inputs and punishes extra button presses in ways most games games don't really seem to do.

Just my normal ones, so it might be just lag on my end most likely considering how shitastic Comcast is, plus I just suck in general.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Aphrodite posted:

I can't meter burn Lobo's anti-air throw in training. Is there some weird timing to it?

I haven't tried him in a real match.

That's where he swings the opponent around, right? I think you have to do it during the swinging animation.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm still not done learning Nightwing but I plan to learn the Joker after. Only because his design reminds me of Hazama from Blazblu.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

JackDarko posted:

I'm still not done learning Nightwing but I plan to learn the Joker after. Only because his design reminds me of Hazama from Blazblu.

Well Hazama did have this none too subtle colouring

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah I'm positive that Hazama is actually the reason Joker fights with a knife in this game.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For those of you wanting a Batwoman skin, here's how she might look:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
That... looks awful.

I'm waiting for a Robin alt for Nightwing. The day that happens, I'll main him.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is...the bald guy with the lightning bolt on his chest supposed to be Earth-V Static? He's the only one I don't recognize.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's supposed to be Black Lightning, but I can not tell for the life of me. Also, what is with these designs on Huntress and Batwoman's armor?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AradoBalanga posted:

Is...the bald guy with the lightning bolt on his chest supposed to be Earth-V Static? He's the only one I don't recognize.

Is Black Lighting, actually

e:f,b

But at least I got a picture :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

Nightwing has them too. It's armor. Everyone in Injustice has armor, even Superman.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

:doh:
Completely forgot about Black Lightning. Derp.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm really surprised they haven done a Red Robin skin for Nightwing.

I'm still holding out hope for Green Lantern Sinestro, complete with alternate win pose / phrase like GL.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I just want the DLC characters to get alts. Mirror matches suck if you have Lobo and slightly darker Lobo.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Hope this artists arch is over soon. The art of the tie in comic was much better earlier. :(

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Evil Canadian posted:

Well Hazama did have this none too subtle colouring

Heh. In CvS, I used to use that coloring for Iori. Made his winpose that much better.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Are there any characters are that easier to learn and don't require perfect execution/insane combos/etc to learn for a beginner person? I've tried a bunch of people and I just have a hard time learning these insane combo strings (still haven't gotten down canceling) I see on TestYourMight

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Interstellar Owl posted:

Are there any characters are that easier to learn and don't require perfect execution/insane combos/etc to learn for a beginner person? I've tried a bunch of people and I just have a hard time learning these insane combo strings (still haven't gotten down canceling) I see on TestYourMight

If you can't do something as simple as cancelling yet then there's not really any character that's going to be particularly easy. For me, Green Lantern has the easiest combos in the game.

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
Play a zoning character and focus on the fundamentals of that first before worrying about all the strings and combos. Personally I like Sinestro but maybe GL or more hybrid character would be your speed. Then when an opponent messes up you can punish, and working on your combos that way. Just my 2 cents.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Interstellar Owl posted:

Flash. I played hundreds of matches before I even started working on cancel combos. Block, punish, repeat. Study your opponent's routine and once you get in on them mix it up with overhead attacks, lows, and grabs in quick succession. As you go against better opponents you'll be forced to learn which moves are safe or not, and start mixing in combos as you can.

Grundy's also pretty newbie friendly if you want easy combos from what I hear.

e: What rugpisser suggests is basically the zoner version of this, playing Flash will force you to learn the fundamentals of blocking and getting in on someone and playing a zoner will teach you the fundamentals of exploiting others.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Interstellar Owl posted:

Doomsday has a few really good strings but not really much in the way of combos. It's mostly about using your tools to get in close and stay there.

Deathstroke is about sitting as far away as possible and shooting dudes in the face. Again, no combos but just needing to know what you have and when to use it.

Both of these characters will probably get you a lot of hate mail, but for different reasons.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Interstellar Owl posted:

I can also recommend Doomdsday, his combos are as simple as they come and his trait is completely insane. I can't say it will teach you the best habits at first but focusing on his solid normals and easy combos can allow you to get a feel for spacing, solid rushdown play and meter management. Also it is a blast just getting in there and never leaving your opponent alone.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

I couldn't get into Deathstroke because of the gun spam, it just didn't feel right.

Characters I have tried so far: Joker, Nightwing, Wonder Woman, some Flash, Lobo, Solomon Grundy.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Holy Calamity! posted:

Flash. I played hundreds of matches before I even started working on cancel combos. Block, punish, repeat. Study your opponent's routine and once you get in on them mix it up with overhead attacks, lows, and grabs in quick succession. As you go against better opponents you'll be forced to learn which moves are safe or not, and start mixing in combos as you can.

Flash is one of the least newbie-friendly chars to use effectively, why would you suggest that? :psyduck:

Green Lantern is a good option, so's Doomsday.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Krad posted:

Flash is one of the least newbie-friendly chars to use effectively, why would you suggest that? :psyduck:

They asked for someone who can do well without dialing in fancy combos, Flash suited that purpose for me as someone who was 100% fresh to fighting games. Though I suppose a zoner would suit this purpose a lot better, I had a natural aversion towards them for some reason.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Krad posted:

The amount of night wing I have seen online, and his easy to use specials, he is one i would suggest looking into.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Really, though, the thing you have to remember when you see those giant strings on TYM or here is that you don't need to do those to win. Those are for people looking to maximize their damage with the characters they've picked and spent a lot of time practicing with. You aren't going to pick up Superman and do one of his page-long combos right away and it's silly to try. You'll get more mileage out of learning to block, learning to anticipate overheads, learning how to dash forwards and backwards to keep pressure or run away, learning what moves and strings are safe and under what conditions.

Sitting down and telling yourself "I need to be able to do this 10 step combo to be good with this character" is just going to make you frustrated and mad. Pick a character you like and want to get better with. The whole cast is balanced pretty well and unless you're going to EVO you'll be able to stomp on people in ranked no matter who you pick.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Really, though, the thing you have to remember when you see those giant strings on TYM or here is that you don't need to do those to win. Those are for people looking to maximize their damage with the characters they've picked and spent a lot of time practicing with. You aren't going to pick up Superman and do one of his page-long combos right away and it's silly to try. You'll get more mileage out of learning to block, learning to anticipate overheads, learning how to dash forwards and backwards to keep pressure or run away, learning what moves and strings are safe and under what conditions.

Sitting down and telling yourself "I need to be able to do this 10 step combo to be good with this character" is just going to make you frustrated and mad. Pick a character you like and want to get better with. The whole cast is balanced pretty well and unless you're going to EVO you'll be able to stomp on people in ranked no matter who you pick.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to get at, ignore the suggestion of The Flash. I guess I just arbitrarily stuck with him because Flash owns.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Holy Calamity! posted:

Yeah, this is what I was trying to get at, ignore the suggestion of The Flash. I guess I just arbitrarily stuck with him because Flash owns.

Am I weird for wishing they made a Wally West Flash alternate? (and a Kyle Rayner GL alt.)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This game makes people so upset that when I actually give props to someone for almost kicking my rear end and pulling off some sick corner combos with Arrow I literally get flamed back.

Maybe it's just Sinestro and how easy people think he is to play that does it to folks.

It's not my fault I push blocked you during your sick mix up. Pressed the jet take off and then smashed a robot into your face. Stage transition me next time you big baby. Sheesh!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Spacebump posted:

Am I weird for wishing they made a Wally West Flash alternate? (and a Kyle Rayner GL alt.)

Shh. It IS Wally under there.

AndyElusive posted:

This game makes people so upset that when I actually give props to someone for almost kicking my rear end and pulling off some sick corner combos with Arrow I literally get flamed back.

Maybe it's just Sinestro and how easy people think he is to play that does it to folks.

It's not my fault I push blocked you during your sick mix up. Pressed the jet take off and then smashed a robot into your face. Stage transition me next time you big baby. Sheesh!

Adrenaline does nasty things to some people. At least I assume everyone else's heart is racing like crazy at the end of a tense matchup.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 14, 2013

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Holy Calamity! posted:

Shh. It IS Wally under there.

Wait, what? I thought Wally hasn't been in DC comics since the recent reboot and that they called him Barry in game?

Edit: I just realized you probably weren't being serious.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Thanks for all the tips guys, appreciate it. I'm gonna try out some Nightwing and Doomsday, any tips for either? Especially doomsday? I have no idea what kind of character he is.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

How do I learn to anticipate overheads? Is it simpler than learning every character and their strings?

Could anybody that's played with me give me some pointers?

:EDIT

For Nightwing learn to love b.2 it's a great fast overhead with fantastic reach as well; also it's easy to combo afterwards.

At first staff stance will seem like it's useless because of how it limits your mobility but it's actually really good!

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 14, 2013

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Holy Calamity! posted:

Adrenaline does nasty things to some people. At least I assume everyone else's heart is racing like crazy at the end of a tense matchup.
Honestly, I'd say I get more nervous playing online casuals than I do playing offline tournaments. Dunno why. It's something about not being able to see the other person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

JackDarko posted:

How do I learn to anticipate overheads? Is it simpler than learning every character and their strings?

Could anybody that's played with me give me some pointers?
Mostly it's about eating them until your recognize a pattern. Wonder Woman is going to overhead whip you if you're crouching just out of sweep range. Batman is probably going to do it if he's standing right next to you after he knocks you down.

• Locked thread