Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey, this didn't end up in here yet.

http://www.greaterfool.ca/2013/05/09/busting-the-banks/

Garth Turner posted:

So today, every one of the Big Six banks continues to thumb its profitable nose at the feds, merrily penning 30-year deals. In fact a few lenders, like Vancity, Coast Capital and Laurentian Bank even have 35-year loans available.

Last week the CEOs of the monster banks were given a clear message that 30-year mortgages need to be wiped away. Completely. In fact, they’ll be banned. That letter will go out next week, the result of a decision made jointly by the Department of Finance, OSFI (the bank regulator) and the Bank of Canada. Regulated financial institutions will also be prevented from buying any securities which are made up on mortgage with 30-year ams.

This appears to have since been confirmed. 25 year mortgages will likely be the final nail in coffin as carrying costs are about to go way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baronjutter posted:

Victoria check in!

Houses keep going up in price all around me in my neighbourhood, bidding wars on condos.

Hmm, that's weird, since prices are still well down from peak:

...and the increases in the average we're seeing recently are largely due to sales being godawful and the market skewing towards fewer and fewer sales, mostly at the higher end, indicative of a market that is still definitely in distress. The pre-crash stall, as it were, just like in most U.S. cities in 2007/2008.

I wonder where you're getting that information about the market being very str...

Baronjutter posted:

A realtor friend of the family was practically begging them to convince me to buy now because we're "due for another boom".

Aha, I think I found the problem.

ocrumsprug posted:

This appears to have since been confirmed. 25 year mortgages will likely be the final nail in coffin as carrying costs are about to go way up.

FWIW, the effect roughly translates to $50 more per month in mortgage costs per $100,000 borrowed. So yes, quite substantial.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
All you need to know about Victoria's bubble is on this blog http://househuntvictoria.blogspot.ca/

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Victoria check in!

Houses keep going up in price all around me in my neighbourhood, bidding wars on condos. A realtor friend of the family was practically begging them to convince me to buy now because we're "due for another boom". I logically understand this is unsustainable but it's getting very hard to keep my wife convinced. I feel like the lone climate-change denying crackpot. They keep showing me market reports and articles and stuff saying we're at the bottom now, prices will only go up.

I know though if I buy now there will be a crash, but if I don't buy and wait a year prices will be the same or go up (and then go down after I buy). In a way I'm sort of in control of the market.

It's that famous Keynes quote: "Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."

Personally, I'd rather pay the possible increase in price over the next 2-5 years than get burned by something I am positive is going to happen. I'd just feel like too much of an idiot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok, thanks for the info guys. This house-hunt website is pretty good for data. The thing is people don't care about data, they care about personal anecdotes. In my specific neighbourhood we've seen a lot of houses sell very quickly and for above-asking. And this drat realtor dude keeps going on about "BIDDING WARS OVER CONDOS!!!" and going on about how he's "Never seen so much competition to buy!" and I keep telling everyone to pretty much ignore him but "family friend". I doubt he's outright trying to lie/manipulate but when your surrounded by the industry you end up falling for all the hype.

Of course the only locations we're looking at are victoria-proper. Basically Jubilee, Fairfield, Rockland, James bay. Everything else is pretty much written off as a "yucky neighbourhood" or "too far away".

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 14, 2013

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Baronjutter posted:

They keep showing me market reports and articles and stuff saying we're at the bottom now, prices will only go up.

who is they?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Odddzy posted:

who is they?

Who do you think? Realtors, finance people, and construction/development workers of course. But they're !!FAMILY FRIENDS!! so they'd never mislead or be victims of misinformation them selves. I should be lucky to have these people with "inside knowledge" telling me now is the perfect time to buy what they are selling.

Oh also the friend of a friend who works at an american car dealership told us honda is a bad company and the Fit is a terrible investment and we should totally buy an american car because they are just as well made but the parts and upkeep is cheaper and now is the perfect time to buy an american car!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 14, 2013

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Baronjutter posted:

Who do you think? Realtors, finance people, and construction/development workers of course. But they're !!FAMILY FRIENDS!! so they'd never mislead or be victims of misinformation them selves. I should be lucky to have these people with "inside knowledge" telling me now is the perfect time to buy what they are selling.

Oh also the friend of a friend who works at an american car dealership told us honda is a bad company and the Fit is a terrible investment and we should totally buy an american car because they are just as well made but the parts and upkeep is cheaper and now is the perfect time to buy an american car!

Buying a house was one of the most frustrating things I have done simply for the fact that everybody and their dog and cat want to impart their "wisdom" on you.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

You need to sit your girlfriend down in front of a spreadsheet and do some math. Take your total combined post-tax income then estimate your mortgage costs. Then calculate your monthly living costs and deduct them as well. Calculate your savings rate and ask your g/f whether she wants to retire one day or if she want to work as a wal-mart greeter until she dies so she can experience the PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP.

I sat my g/f down in front of a spreadsheet and did this exact same thing. My g/f isn't dumb but she told me that she couldn't really put it all together until we started extrapolating our finances.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yep, the moment we started saying we were interested in buying a place and probably a new car it was just non-stop wisdom on cars and real-estate from various baby-boomers, fonts of good financial planning.

We've got about 60k saved up for a down-payment right now and it just keeps growing. If we buy next year I could see that being 70-80k. Even if the market doesn't go way down but just more or less stays the same I'd so love to have like 30% down or something. Every month we don't buy is an extra few thousand. We're living nearly rent-free right now so it's this amazing chance to really really save.

We've also started a retirement fund but it's only about 15k each right now and over the years has like earned us $100 so far. It's just some lowish risk mutual fund thing. I'm wondering if it's better overall financially to take that out to have an even bigger downpayment on the condo so we have a smaller mortgage or keep it safe where it is being a totally useless retirement account.

I guess this is more finance thread questions.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 14, 2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I drive a Fit. It's like Suburbia: The Car
Bland, lifeless, but drat if it isn't perfect for a growing family.

Unfortunately I'm single and childless and I should have bought the Fiat :gonk:

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Baronjutter posted:

Yep, the moment we started saying we were interested in buying a place and probably a new car it was just non-stop wisdom on cars and real-estate from various baby-boomers, fonts of good financial planning.

We've got about 60k saved up for a down-payment right now and it just keeps growing. If we buy next year I could see that being 70-80k. Even if the market doesn't go way down but just more or less stays the same I'd so love to have like 30% down or something. Every month we don't buy is an extra few thousand. We're living nearly rent-free right now so it's this amazing chance to really really save.

We've also started a retirement fund but it's only about 15k each right now and over the years has like earned us $100 so far. It's just some lowish risk mutual fund thing. I'm wondering if it's better overall financially to take that out to have an even bigger downpayment on the condo so we have a smaller mortgage or keep it safe where it is being a totally useless retirement account.

I guess this is more finance thread questions.

I literally cannot even imagine how people can save 60k. Congrats!

The easy rule is to put your money wherever the interest rate is higher. If you're making a better interest rate on the retirement fund than you will be paying on your mortgage, keep it there. Otherwise use it for a down payment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Twiin posted:

I literally cannot even imagine how people can save 60k. Congrats!

The easy rule is to put your money wherever the interest rate is higher. If you're making a better interest rate on the retirement fund than you will be paying on your mortgage, keep it there. Otherwise use it for a down payment.

Thanks, we both just make in the $15-18 an hour range but we currently live in a basement suite in my parent's house so our rent is basically just utilities. She desperately wants out asap because she isn't a hobbit like me who enjoys basement living and feels sort of awkward living in my parents house despite it being a fully independent apartment and we can go weeks without even seeing them. One month she might be 100% on board waiting to buy and being responsible but all it takes is seeing some picture of some old school friend of hers buying a nice condo and suddenly we need to GET OUT ASAP. This despite not a single person of our generation that we know locally owning anything and everyone just renting lovely apartments little better (and often worse) than our nearly-free suite.

The only reason I want to move is to have a full 2nd bedroom to convert into a hobby room. I'm totally comfortable where we are now and I loving love being in a basement in the summer because it stays so nice and cool and holy poo poo being able to put like 2 grand a month into savings.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 14, 2013

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
"the other shoe has dropped"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle11908008/

quote:

For those who have been waiting for the other shoe to fall in Canada's housing-market slowdown, I have news for you: It already has. It just hasn't hit the ground yet.

As sales and construction have slowed dramatically in recent months, home prices managed to resist slumping along with them. This curious phenomenon had the optimists talking about a soft landing for the sector; but the pessimists (realists?) saw this as a Wile E. Coyote-esque illusion, certain that as soon as the market noticed that the ground beneath it had fallen away, it would plunge through the thin air inexplicably holding it aloft.

The latest Teranet-National Bank House Price Index numbers, released Tuesday morning, suggest much of the country has stopped running and looked down.

Admittedly, that's hard to see when you look at the headline number: The nationwide composite index was up 2.0 per cent year-over-year in April, and up 0.2 per cent from March. Doesn't look much like a plummet.

But National Bank Financial economist Marc Pinsonneault noted that the month-over-month price gains in April – historically a pretty strong month relative to March, as the arrival of spring ramps up activity – were the second-weakest in the 15-year history of the index, with only the 2009 recession generating a weaker April performance. On a year-over-year basis, the price increase was also the weakest it has ever been outside the Great Recession.

Indeed, the pace of year-over-year price appreciation has been slowly eroding for the past year and a half. Of the 11 major urban centres tracked by the national composite, seven (Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa-Gatineau, Montreal) now show price declines from their 2012 highs. In April, five of the 11 (Vancouver, Victoria, Ottawa-Gatineau, Quebec City, Halifax) suffered month-over-month price declines. The scales are, increasingly, tipping toward actual deflation in the Canadian housing market – and are already pretty decisively there in some parts of the country, most notably the West Coast.

Mr. Pinsonneault noted that new-listings and sales data point to continued market erosion in several major centres, specifically Vancouver, Victoria, Montreal and Ottawa-Gatineau. "It is therefore likely that the annual price inflation in the Teranet-National Bank composite index will continue to diminish substantially in the months ahead," he concluded.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks, we both just make in the $15-18 an hour range but we currently live in a basement suite in my parent's house so our rent is basically just utilities.

That makes more sense. I should have said, I literally cannot even imagine how people can save 60k without being subsidized by family. Everyone I know who owns property either cashed out on a startup or has parents who helped them. More power to you and all that, I'd take advantage of that if I had it!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Twiin posted:

That makes more sense. I should have said, I literally cannot even imagine how people can save 60k without being subsidized by family. Everyone I know who owns property either cashed out on a startup or has parents who helped them. More power to you and all that, I'd take advantage of that if I had it!

If I had it my way I'd hide in this basement saving money until I could buy a place in cash!

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Baronjutter posted:

A realtor friend of the family was practically begging them to convince me to buy now because we're "due for another boom".

I know it's anecdotal, but: I come from a large family of real estate people -- realtors, mortgage agents, and lawyers.

When they say things like this, it's time to run for the hills.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Baronjutter posted:

Victoria check in!

Houses keep going up in price all around me in my neighbourhood, bidding wars on condos. A realtor friend of the family was practically begging them to convince me to buy now because we're "due for another boom". I logically understand this is unsustainable but it's getting very hard to keep my wife convinced. I feel like the lone climate-change denying crackpot. They keep showing me market reports and articles and stuff saying we're at the bottom now, prices will only go up.

I know though if I buy now there will be a crash, but if I don't buy and wait a year prices will be the same or go up (and then go down after I buy). In a way I'm sort of in control of the market.

It's called a bull trap.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

So how does increase in the prices of rent and new "rental bidding wars" end up playing into this housing situation? It seems that tightening mortgage rules has worked to cool off the market, but suddenly the rental market has exploded and now that is becoming unaffordable. Will investors be willing to purchase enough inventory to keep the prices high and push people into renting at obscene prices?

http://www.thestar.com/business/real_estate/2013/05/14/gta_condo_rents_hit_record_as_wouldbe_homebuyers_stay_on_sidelines.html

I remember a few years ago when people were stating that Hamilton was a great place to live because the homes were affordable and so forth, but suddenly, especially over the past year, things have gotten a little out of hand. Toronto transplants have made prices skyrocket in certain areas.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's not really clear to me in that article is whether the supply of rental units is increasing or decreasing. It is counter intuitive to me that the rental supply stock of Toronto should be increasing as I think there is an oversupply of new condos. If rental costs are increasing and the rental supply stock is also increasing, then I'd say the Toronto Star is Full Of poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well at least the liberals can be blamed for the coming housing "correction" rather than the NDP.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

Well at least the liberals can be blamed for the coming housing "correction" rather than the NDP.

:unsmith:

That is good news. Aside from all of the terrible economic damage that is on the way that is.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well reading this thread has certainly been enlightening. I'm from North Van (parents sold in 2001 :smithicide:) and my wife is from Richmond Hill. We live in Seattle now and are lucky enough to hold top tier software jobs with the wherewithal to invest, and her family in Ontario has been pushing us for several years to buy a condo in TO for rental purposes. We've demurred mostly over the hassle of being a distant landlord but holy poo poo that is the smallest of all reasons not to buy. I can't believe how messed up this market has become.

I feel bad for her little brother. Debt from a degree from Laurier, unsatisfying office job with no real chance of career or skills development. No chance to move out any time soon. :sigh:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well reading this thread has certainly been enlightening. I'm from North Van (parents sold in 2001 :smithicide:) and my wife is from Richmond Hill. We live in Seattle now and are lucky enough to hold top tier software jobs with the wherewithal to invest, and her family in Ontario has been pushing us for several years to buy a condo in TO for rental purposes. We've demurred mostly over the hassle of being a distant landlord but holy poo poo that is the smallest of all reasons not to buy. I can't believe how messed up this market has become.

Dude, you're already in the United States. In an economically robust part, at that. If you must invest in real estate, do it there. Huge :laffo: at them trying to get you to buy a loving Toronto condo... the distance alone would make this a bad idea - nevermind the fundamentals.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm with Lexicon. I'm drooling at what it costs to buy a nice home near Green Lake.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, we're in Maple Leaf actually. It feels like Norgate neighbourhood did in the 90s. I'm excited about the light rail that will eventually come too: http://www.soundtransit.org/Projects-and-Plans/Northgate-Link-Extension

So I'll end this derail by saying come on down if you can I suppose.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The language in the article is not appropriate for the numbers. The numbers suggest a decline, but not one that is precipitous. A decline in the market is expected due to the restrictions on mortgage lenders and terms. Obviously numbers are going to be in decline when compared to a massive bubble period.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'll end this derail by saying come on down if you can I suppose.

Judging by your location and profile, there's a nonzero chance we used to work in the same office :science:

I left to do a Masters and other stuff North of the 49th. In retrospect, this may have been a mistake - feeling increasingly uncertain that Canada holds the key to a happy future. Might have to come back down...

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I sold my Vancouver condo this week after having it listed for about a week. I got approximately the BC assessed value and I'm very happy to get out of the market -- this thread definitely influenced my decision to sell rather than rent it out (well, that and the terrible ratio of property 'value' to rental prices in Vancouver).

I'm going to be leaving Vancouver for a few years, hopefully things are much saner when I return. But it looks like it could get really ugly in the meantime.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 17, 2013

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't live in Canada but have a colleague from Vancouver that's put down 200 grand on a condo there as an investment. She's fresh out of college and investing literally all her savings on it, saying that it's a sure win investment.

Crazy...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

shrike82 posted:

I don't live in Canada but have a colleague from Vancouver that's put down 200 grand on a condo there as an investment. She's fresh out of college and investing literally all her savings on it, saying that it's a sure win investment.

Crazy...

She clearly should have bought an over-priced bubble condo in Toronto instead.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

shrike82 posted:

Crazy...

What did the condo sell for? 800k? Does she intend on living in it or is she going to rent it out? The rental market in Vancouver is dead.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Crazy...
Who the hell has 200k in savings fresh out of college?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

The rental market in Vancouver is dead.

Dead how-so? Price:rent and thus cap rate is totally out to lunch, but there's still a reasonably healthy market for actually finding tenants, no?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

Presumably it is family money, or mom and dad helping out. That has become the standard in Vancouver over the last decade, particularly as income to property values dissassociated.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man the only thing anyone comes out of school with is crushing debt and unemployment.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Baronjutter posted:

Man the only thing anyone comes out of school with is crushing debt and unemployment.

It's funny because you can get a nice house in Windsor with two bathrooms and at least three bedrooms for $120K or less. And still live close to downtown without being in a slummy area.

But having a job at the same time? Impossible. loving impossible.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

$200k in liquid assets is a lot of money for anyone in their early 20s, university or not.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Dead how-so? Price:rent and thus cap rate is totally out to lunch, but there's still a reasonably healthy market for actually finding tenants, no?

It's really hard to find tenants right now. I've got family members trying to rent out their places and it ain't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

Well according Bob Rennie, the next 10 years of Vancouver's real estate bull market will be financed by Baby Boomers gifting their children with proceeds from the sales of their hom

uh oh