Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

RIght now I'm in the mood for one of those 80/90's action/drama/thriller where someone like James Woods is a normal guy whose family gets kidnapped or something. Is there something in that vein on Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alex WS posted:

RIght now I'm in the mood for one of those 80/90's action/drama/thriller where someone like James Woods is a normal guy whose family gets kidnapped or something. Is there something in that vein on Netflix?

I don't know whether you're looking for a serious or goofy movie, but if you want the latter, Commando is streaming. It's incredibly silly, but it's one of the best action movies of the 80's, and perfectly strides that line where it's campy,but not constantly winking at the audience.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Good suggestion, but I somehow ended up watching Regarding Henry. Really dug it too.

VVV Hard to believe when the movie spends so much time developing it's characters. A far cry from the caricatures in Star Trek.

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 12, 2013

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Alex WS posted:

Good suggestion, but I somehow ended up watching Regarding Henry. Really dug it too.

And to think, JJ Abrams wrote that film.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
So, I Can See You rules and everyone should see it, even if I bet roughly half of Cined will hate it and the other half will love it.

It's like a lo-fi version of Lost Highway at times, and unlike other David Lynch pastiches this gets one thing right that so many other imitators flub. The sound! The sound mixing is excellent and you will get the most out of it watching it with headphones. There are times the tension gets unbearably thick during the most mundane scenes, solely because of the sound.

The scariest scene is just done with some simple, but creative lightning! And it's all the more effective since the film actually takes it sweet time building up to it, instead of throwing it all in your face at once. Definitly one of my favorite finds at Netflix since I got it.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Thanks for the Bob's Burgers recommendations. I think it's fantastic, and the genre's so polluted I would have never given it a chance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Apes-Ma posted:

So, I Can See You rules and everyone should see it, even if I bet roughly half of Cined will hate it and the other half will love it.

It's like a lo-fi version of Lost Highway at times, and unlike other David Lynch pastiches this gets one thing right that so many other imitators flub. The sound! The sound mixing is excellent and you will get the most out of it watching it with headphones. There are times the tension gets unbearably thick during the most mundane scenes, solely because of the sound.

The scariest scene is just done with some simple, but creative lightning! And it's all the more effective since the film actually takes it sweet time building up to it, instead of throwing it all in your face at once. Definitly one of my favorite finds at Netflix since I got it.

Added to the queue, this sounds like a blast.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Alex WS posted:

Even though it's from the past year the Nicholas Cage movie Stolen is essentially that and it's on Netflix

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meowbot posted:

I think I saw rat race in theaters. I don't mind older comedies I just like mostly things that have nice colors and visuals. I watched private school the other day so I don't mind older movies. It was funny but a different kind of funny. I didn't see a comedy thread so figured this was a good thread to ask for a good recommendation.

If you just like any movie that's fuckin hilarious czech out Duck Soup.

deviltry
Nov 1, 2010

"Don't be humble. You're not that great."
Gotta recommend this documentary just added to Netflix. I was a big fan of Searching for Bobby Fisher so I had to check this out...

If you like stories about inspiration + kids + grit + chess...you'll find this heartwarming. The underlying message I can get behind is that hard work + attitude get you further than just talent.

Brooklyn Castle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFzUYRC3_H8 (edited for official trailer on YT)

From the doc's plot summary:
"This movie tells the stories of five members of the chess team at a below-the-poverty-line inner city junior high school that has won more national championships than any other in the country. The film follows the challenges these kids face in their personal lives as well as on the chessboard, and is as much about the sting of their losses as it is about the anticipation of their victories. Ironically, the biggest obstacle thrust upon them arises not from other competitors but from recessionary budget cuts to all the extracurricular activities at their school. The kids' dedication to chess magnifies their belief in what is possible...

deviltry fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 14, 2013

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I found Safety Not Guaranteed on Netflix today. Check it out if you get the chance, it's a well made, very sweet and touching movie.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

deviltry posted:

Gotta recommend this documentary just added to Netflix. I was a big fan of Searching for Bobby Fisher so I had to check this out...

If you like stories about inspiration + kids + grit + chess...you'll find this heartwarming. The underlying message I can get behind is that hard work + attitude get you further than just talent.

Brooklyn Castle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?PHi6z3nHrMg

From the doc's plot summary:
"This movie tells the stories of five members of the chess team at a below-the-poverty-line inner city junior high school that has won more national championships than any other in the country. The film follows the challenges these kids face in their personal lives as well as on the chessboard, and is as much about the sting of their losses as it is about the anticipation of their victories. Ironically, the biggest obstacle thrust upon them arises not from other competitors but from recessionary budget cuts to all the extracurricular activities at their school. The kids' dedication to chess magnifies their belief in what is possible...

Youtube video doesn't exist :(

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Discount Viscount posted:

Have you tried The Comedy?

You're an rear end in a top hat. :golfclap:

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Meowbot, watch Wet Hot American Summer.

Everyone else, stop what you're doing and watch The Natural History of The Chicken.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Watched Bernie last night, and I enjoyed it. After I heard it was based on a real thing, I had to resist the temptation to Google it and see how the trial went.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Here's a pretty good article about Netflix succeeding wildly despite Reed Hastings, with a bonus picture of him looking like Tom Joad or something.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-05-09/netflix-reed-hastings-survive-missteps-to-join-silicon-valleys-elite

The master copies of all the shows and movies available to Netflix take up 3.14 petabytes of storage space. (In comparison, Facebook uses about 1.5 petabytes to store about 10 billion photos.) Hollywood studios used to send individual films and shows to Netflix on a disc or thumb drive; now they use a Netflix system called Backlot to send encrypted files via the Internet. Netflix then compresses the files and creates more than 100 different versions, each tuned for the varying bandwidth, device, and language needs of its customers. (An hour of video for the iPhone would be about 150 megabytes.) This compressed catalog comes to about 2.75 petabytes.

Each night, Netflix performs an analysis to see which shows were the most popular where. From 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. local time, it fills its servers with the appropriate programs. If Battlestar Galactica is popular in Houston on Tuesday, then servers in Texas will be loaded up with more episodes in time for Wednesday night. The most popular videos go on high-speed flash storage drives; everything else gets stored on cheaper, slower hard disks. “We use this predictive model to make sure the content is there before the user asks for it,” says Ken Florance, vice president for content delivery at Netflix.

It's hilarious that a significant proportion of all web traffic in the US is Youtube and Netflix. Reed will have to work harder if he wants to sink his company.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Anyone checked out Fat Sick and Nearly Dead? It was recommended to me but I haven't been motivated enough to watch through it. Folks that mentioned it ended up buying a juicer and changing their eating habits as a result of this film. Maybe some folks that frequent YLLS would know?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
It's a very bad movie and a pretty bad diet.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

dongsbot 9000 posted:

It's a very bad movie and a pretty bad diet.

Ditto

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
The problem with movies like that and Forks over Knives and the like is that they are pushing an agenda really loving hard. All of them tend to start out all right, saying "hey, our food ideology is based on this and as such it can help with your health for these reasons. These ideas are generally ok, even if delivered a little sanctimoniously. Then the last two thirds of the movies happen, and you get to hear six iterations about how eating raw vegetables cured this woman's terminal cancer and fueled her to win marathons or whatever. It is hokey, anecdotal, anti-intellectual, appeals to emotions, is incredibly socially irresponsible, and most of the time is a partial or complete fabrication.

As someone who has to pay a little attention to what I eat for medical reasons, I have an unreasonably vitriolic hatred for the last two thirds of these movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always laugh when someone brings up that movie and goes "it affected me so much I went and bought a juicer!"

Juicer Movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Pain and Gain made me start Juicin'!

(I kid, I have not seen that movie. Looks terrible.)

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I have zero idea what the supposed health benefits of juicing are. All I know is that fresh juice is loving delicious and my juicer is the best gift I've ever received.

priznat posted:

Pain and Gain made me start Juicin'!

(I kid, I have not seen that movie. Looks terrible.)

You are wrong. Pain and Gain owns.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I always laugh when someone brings up that movie and goes "it affected me so much I went and bought a juicer!"

Juicer Movie.

Hey, how else are you going to get rid of all the TOXINS in your body?!? :supaburn:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Marketing is so sophisticated nowadays that it's come back to 50's style documentary advocacy. I'm sure they mean well but it really does come off like selling patent medicines.

deviltry
Nov 1, 2010

"Don't be humble. You're not that great."

PaganGoatPants posted:

Youtube video doesn't exist :(

Gah. Here's the official trailer from documentary folks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFzUYRC3_H8

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Marketing is so sophisticated nowadays that it's come back to 50's style documentary advocacy. I'm sure they mean well but it really does come off like selling patent medicines.

See also: Waiting For Superman, or I Paid 9 Bucks To Watch A Two-Hour Infomercial For Private Schools

Not to mention TED Talks, especially TED-X, which will let literally anybody on. To the point where they had a Deepak Chopra acolyte do a talk called The Science Delusion which is exactly as awful as you think it is :ughh:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like when they try to pretend there are some TED Talks that just don't meet the rigorous TED standards when they have poo poo like David Blaine doing magic tricks.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I like when they try to pretend there are some TED Talks that just don't meet the rigorous TED standards when they have poo poo like David Blaine doing magic tricks.

Now now, sometimes they do ban people for saying bad things about the kind of uber-rich people who pay thousands of dollars to attend TED Talks.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, a few years ago the TED talks were pretty quality across the board, but then in the past few years it's seemed like they had a couple of unusual talks to add some variety, and then that became the focus, and then at least this year it's like they just let anyone talk. Especially with the whole TED-X thing.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Thanks for the Bob's Burgers recommendations. I think it's fantastic, and the genre's so polluted I would have never given it a chance.

The first season was OK, but I was honestly suprised by the second. It seems like the writers really stepped up their game since this was the first time in a long while that a show got me to laugh. Like, laughing hysterically levels.

Maybe it's just the style of humor they use. I definitely like the little touches of detail that they put into things, including the script.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Wicker Man posted:

The first season was OK, but I was honestly suprised by the second. It seems like the writers really stepped up their game since this was the first time in a long while that a show got me to laugh. Like, laughing hysterically levels.

Maybe it's just the style of humor they use. I definitely like the little touches of detail that they put into things, including the script.
One of my favorite things about the show is that Jon Benjamin sounds honestly amused most of the time. It's a really human touch to the voice acting when he's laughing just a little bit at half the things he says.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SRM posted:

One of my favorite things about the show is that Jon Benjamin sounds honestly amused most of the time. It's a really human touch to the voice acting when he's laughing just a little bit at half the things he says.

Bob is also one of the few animated sitcom dads who isn't a dumb moron with a nagging wife. Having him be the voice of reason without being a killjoy or having a creepy father-knows-best tone is a bit of a tightrope but they walk it well.

Every voice actor is golden. The fact that Tina was originally a boy and they changed her to a girl but kept the voice actor shouldn't work, but drat if it does.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Every voice actor is golden. The fact that Tina was originally a boy and they changed her to a girl but kept the voice actor shouldn't work, but drat if it does.

Tina's "uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh" is consistently one of my favorite parts of the show. It's so simple, but the voice actor completely nails it.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
I kept playing the bit with the parrot insulting Tina over and over, the way she says "...what?!?" is amazing.

The interaction between the kids is easily the best part of the show now, they really did find a remarkable rhythm in the second season. It's also setting the bar for pop-culture-reference jokes, they're never just crammed in, and usually pretty creative. The wet willie/Reservoir Dogs scene should be the textbook example for a good referential joke.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Aorist posted:

I kept playing the bit with the parrot insulting Tina over and over, the way she says "...what?!?" is amazing.

The interaction between the kids is easily the best part of the show now, they really did find a remarkable rhythm in the second season. It's also setting the bar for pop-culture-reference jokes, they're never just crammed in, and usually pretty creative. The wet willie/Reservoir Dogs scene should be the textbook example for a good referential joke.

One of my favorite little character moments is when Bob is having a meltdown and yelling at passers-by because the critic gave his restaurant a bad review, and Louise runs outside and joins him without even knowing what's going on just because she's so much like her father. :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Oh wow, really? Learn something new every day. By this point, I honestly forget that she's voiced by a dude half the time (same with Bob's wife).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

precision posted:

Oh wow, really? Learn something new every day. By this point, I honestly forget that she's voiced by a dude half the time (same with Bob's wife).
It's something you get used to after four seasons of the Venture Bros.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Just throwing in another voice to say that I really didn't want to like Bob's Burgers, but I found it impossible not to. It really starts getting good in the second season.

I also loved This Must Be the Place, Sean Penn was loving hilarious and the scene with David Byrne was loving brilliant. Mumblecore is a stupid word, but it's also a pretty easy way to describe this movie. Slow, and dry, but I loved it all the way through.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

donJonSwan posted:

I also loved This Must Be the Place, Sean Penn was loving hilarious and the scene with David Byrne was loving brilliant. Mumblecore is a stupid word, but it's also a pretty easy way to describe this movie. Slow, and dry, but I loved it all the way through.

Yes, that movie is way better than I expected - it's one of Penn's best roles in the sense that it's quite different to what I've come to expect from him, and in many ways he's just so... I guess "cute" is the only word I can think of. :3:

• Locked thread