Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Yeah, I almost poo poo myself when I got the bonus in my USA game. It's actually kind of baffling, and totally out of line with any other bonuses to that stuff, which are usually like a few percent.

Its really dumb if you suppose for instance, randomized scenarios where the America's are dominated by warring absolutist monarchies in which case people would flee to any country with a good reputation for liberty and openness.

I think there needs to be some more modifiers and a stronger buff to things like low population density and empty RGO's, maybe local province decisions that last a year and cost money (Canada for a while offered cash to immigrants who came to the prairies) as long as the density was low enough. If you are a bonefied peaceful, stable, liberal and free land of oppurtunity it shouldn't matter where you are and it should just be a natural attraction.

Some of these are already valued I think, like being a Democracy and empty RGO's but its like 2% pull and doesn't compete with the inbuilt Pro-American pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The Statue of Liberty's +500% Assimilation is pretty amazing, especially because it stacks with the Homestead Act's +50% Assimilation and the high Assimilation rates for being a New World country to begin with (and possibly the Republican Party's +25% Assimilation bonus on top of that if they're your ruling party). I looked into it one time and came to the conclusion that of the 38k a month immigrants the USA was attracting, the average one became a Yankee about six weeks after arrival.

EDIT: Salazar, you can't get the Statue of Liberty if US isn't a democracy.

Also, as of the HOD Beta Patch, the best way to destroy the USA long term is very early on, after they've enacted the Trail of Tears, attack them and force-release Cherokee. Cherokee is, as of the Beta Patch, a civ with the same starting reforms as the USA, and will attract about even immigration with the USA at least until the Homestead Act. That is to say, Cherokee Oklahoma, throughout the course of the game, will siphon off hundreds of thousands of immigrants from the USA proper.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 14, 2013

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
What would be cool would be to change the event such that it would give the statue of liberty to the nation with the highest level of democratic reforms at the time the French qualifications are met. So if Brazil or Australia is the nation with the greatest freedoms, it becomes the immigration magnet for the world rather than the USA.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Patter Song posted:

The Statue of Liberty's +500% Assimilation is pretty amazing, especially because it stacks with the Homestead Act's +50% Assimilation and the high Assimilation rates for being a New World country to begin with (and possibly the Republican Party's +25% Assimilation bonus on top of that if they're your ruling party). I looked into it one time and came to the conclusion that of the 38k a month immigrants the USA was attracting, the average one became a Yankee about six weeks after arrival.

EDIT: Salazar, you can't get the Statue of Liberty if US isn't a democracy.

Also, as of the HOD Beta Patch, the best way to destroy the USA long term is very early on, after they've enacted the Trail of Tears, attack them and force-release Cherokee. Cherokee is, as of the Beta Patch, a civ with the same starting reforms as the USA, and will attract about even immigration with the USA at least until the Homestead Act. That is to say, Cherokee Oklahoma, throughout the course of the game, will siphon off hundreds of thousands of immigrants from the USA proper.

Yeah but last time me and my friend poked at the code the Americas in general had something like +10% pull for immigration; my concern is that this makes the Americas automatically a bonus for being 'the land of opportunity' even if there's circumstances where this might not be true.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah but last time me and my friend poked at the code the Americas in general had something like +10% pull for immigration; my concern is that this makes the Americas automatically a bonus for being 'the land of opportunity' even if there's circumstances where this might not be true.

Yeah, but relative immigrant pull means that a wide-open Chile will be more attractive than a Presidential Dictatorship USA.

Also, Australia/New Zealand, if they get free, get the same modifier as the New World, so they're alternative immigrant hotspots.

The Americas (North and South alike) were underpopulated in the early 19th century and were in need of that influx. If you don't have the Western Hemisphere be very attractive (say, if Reactionary Rebels topple most of the South American countries and the USA) their RGOs will never reach a serious production level and there's tons of goods that'll never enter the world market. V2's economy fully expects that the RGOs in the western USA will fill up and become productive, if they don't there might be late game food shortages as the population grows.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How would one remove this in-built american immigration bonus? I'd love a fair system that was totally based on political/social freedom and jobs. I'd love to see americans flee their facist government to the social-democracy paradise of france for instance, if the history dictates it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Patter Song posted:

Yeah, but relative immigrant pull means that a wide-open Chile will be more attractive than a Presidential Dictatorship USA.

Also, Australia/New Zealand, if they get free, get the same modifier as the New World, so they're alternative immigrant hotspots.

The Americas (North and South alike) were underpopulated in the early 19th century and were in need of that influx. If you don't have the Western Hemisphere be very attractive (say, if Reactionary Rebels topple most of the South American countries and the USA) their RGOs will never reach a serious production level and there's tons of goods that'll never enter the world market. V2's economy fully expects that the RGOs in the western USA will fill up and become productive, if they don't there might be late game food shortages as the population grows.

So what i'm hearing is that if somebody manual fires a bunch of reactionary rebels in the western hemisphere, in about a hundred years the western hemisphere becomes an apocalyptic wasteland?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What would happen if say.. england re-invaded "the colonies" ? Would there be a flood of domestic immigrants? What if a fully democratic european power essentially re-colonized north america. Would they sit there starving in europe but not immigrate to the new-world because its capital was in the wrong place?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pakled posted:

True, but it certainly wasn't all because of the loving Statue of Liberty.
Yeah, the Statue of Liberty is basically just a symbol of Liberty (Who knew?!), a PR boost from Europe. It should probably boost immigration rates, as the statue is basically a European acknowledgment of the American Dream. Likewise should it be American, if it exists, since it was built to celebrate the American independence and the French connection to that. There's really no reason why anyone should get one, even if the Americans have fallen into dictatorship. Either the Americans get it, or no one does.

I did change the Statue of Liberty mechanic in my game though, halving its effect and opening the homestead act up to every GP non-slaver democracy outside the Old World (actually, I hosed it up and enabled it for every GP democracy at first :v:), along with creating 2 further tiers of the homestead act that double and tripple the effect. The US is still advantaged due to its history (which I think is fair), but the advantage is much less marked than it used to be; 250% vs. 150% instead of 250% vs. 0%. It's also a boost for the Americans if the French somehow decide that cheap steel is a waste of time, like they did in one of my US games. Having such a major bonus being entirely dependent on the French AI researching the right stuff at the right time seems like a prtty bad idea, which is why I made it much less important alongside helping every other democracy.

Baronjutter posted:

It gives you some prestige and like +25 relations with the USA. gently caress em they're not getting my copper next game. Man I'd love it if in NNM or some mod if you controlled egypt you could plop it there like it was supposed to.
It would have little effect though, there's not really anything like the American Dream to get people to go to Egypt. Not to mention it being alongside the Suez Canal, meaning the statue would just be one that one passses through, instead of the endpoint of a journey, and the beginning of a new life.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I had :10bux: and a sparkle in my eye, and bought.. ugh.

This is Supreme Ruler 2020. Everything and the kitchen sink is in this game, but it isn't anything like fun. I think they really didn't do any balancing - it's basically a (very slow!) RTS and you play as a country and try to kill everyone. I played the "Baltic War" scenario. In it, Russia had declared war on Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia -- and you play as Russia. On the first day, I found the button to mobilize all my reserves. (Russia had no deployed units at the start.) Anyway, my tanks and IFVs and planes go streaming in and overrun those lithuanian punks, and then all the latvians are caught in a pocket and outnumbered six to one, and then I besiege Tallinn:

Note the tanks bouncing off each other rather than engaging the garrison troops. But I just waited three days and then everyone had surrendered. The scenario said you had 10 months to complete it. Now I'm just Russia with the baltic reabsorbed. And NO ONE IS MAD AT ME.

This game is just painfully not a game. Anything I can do to have fun with it?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This game is just painfully not a game. Anything I can do to have fun with it?

Keep reporting back how bad it is in new and exciting ways?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Curious bug: the Ottoman-tripoli war has been stuck at 22% for like a decade in this increasingly weird Sardinia-piedmont game I'm playing. This is especially disconcerting because I just lost GP and I know I'd get it back if they demobilized, but they just have one province and a blockade and it's been like that for as long as I can remember. How is this possible, and if I understand it, shouldn't tripoli be getting ticking war score by now?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This is Supreme Ruler 2020.

Not PDS, or based on a PDS engine :frogout:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darkrenown posted:

Not PDS, or based on a PDS engine :frogout:

PI published though. :getin:

(pretty sure it's fine by the rules to post about stuff like Supreme Ruler or the AGEOD games, don't take it personally :shobon:)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh I don't mind, just wanted to be clear it's not PDS to avoid confusion since you didn't mention it, and since the OP says "This thread is for discussing games developed by Paradox (or as a part of their engine licensing program), which boils down to the following titles". I won't comment further though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Magicka was pretty great though. And Mountain Blade.

I'm running through a game of Darkest Hour Full as Italy, since I've always really wanted to try them out seriously and never really have. I'm feeling a little underwhelmed, as I assumed it would be a lot more difficult (based on playing as the UK in the past, I knew roughly what to expect in the North Africa theater). But when I got to mid-1940 and I finally joined the Axis in the middle of the Battle of France, but armies rolled up to Egypt to discover that... Britain hadn't garrisoned it, at all. I made it all the way to like Suez before I saw a single British trooper. Now I've taken all of Egypt and just have my troops parked on the Egyptian-Sudanese border, staring down a handful of British divisions who worked their way north from Kenya, not wanting to go any farther because fighting in Africa is a total waste of time. So what gives with the British AI?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Drone posted:

Magicka was pretty great though. And Mountain Blade.
Was this on purpose?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Was this on purpose?

Yes. My roommates in college called it that instead of Mount and Blade and, for me, it just stuck.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hot drat Mount and Blade is a terrific game by the way. Just sayin'.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Its really cool to have a communist revolution happen in Victoria II and then it lets me reinstate slavery.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Drone posted:

Yes. My roommates in college called it that instead of Mount and Blade and, for me, it just stuck.
Just checking. It sometimes comes out like that for me too. :)

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

quadrophrenic posted:

Curious bug: the Ottoman-tripoli war has been stuck at 22% for like a decade in this increasingly weird Sardinia-piedmont game I'm playing. This is especially disconcerting because I just lost GP and I know I'd get it back if they demobilized, but they just have one province and a blockade and it's been like that for as long as I can remember. How is this possible, and if I understand it, shouldn't tripoli be getting ticking war score by now?

There's a limit to how much ticking warscore you can get for a given wargoal, and if your army got the poo poo kicked out of it, for instance, you may never get enough to demand your wargoal even if you fully occupy and hold the land you demand. Mouse over the war progress bar and the wargoal(s) to see what's going on.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
It's the token historical Ottoman Restoration of Tripoli, so the goal is IIRC Annex Tripoli, and they've fulfilled I think 12.5% of it, and it's definitely been way longer than the 720-ish day long grace period for wargoals.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Applications for the EU4 tech beta are now open until the 21st.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Was this on purpose?

I don't remember the last time I've seen it referred to as anything except Mountain Blade.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

LordPants posted:

Hot drat Mount and Blade is a terrific game by the way. Just sayin'.

Pity about the complete dearth of information on the sequel. That's got to have been in development for at least a year now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

YF-23 posted:

Maybe I'll finally get in! Oh god paradox please, I'm batting like 0-8 here on betas :(

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe I'll finally get in! Oh god paradox please, I'm batting like 0-8 here on betas :(

Apparently you have to have an active paradox forums account to really be considered.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm mildly active there as "Baro", I'll report the odd bug (mostly to modders though). Applied to every bloody beta from V2 to Cities in Motion. I think it's more you can only be a beta tester if you've previously been a tester.

\/ and they probably like to know what games you own as well.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 14, 2013

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Noreaus posted:

Apparently you have to have an active paradox forums account to really be considered.

Well, as far as I know beta testers operate through hidden boards on paradoxplaza. It's not a weird prerequisite or anything.

e: On the other hand I haven't been active on their forums in a while. Eh well, whichever way it goes it goes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have over 6000 posts, so yeah I'm pretty active. Hopefully this time I get in, using the same cover letter sorta I used for a QA job that I'm "ready to be hired" for and emphasizing my CompSci studies and technical writing qualifications.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

YF-23 posted:

Well, as far as I know beta testers operate through hidden boards on paradoxplaza. It's not a weird prerequisite or anything.

e: On the other hand I haven't been active on their forums in a while. Eh well, whichever way it goes it goes.

Not saying it's weird, just warning :shobon:

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

run DNC posted:

Its really cool to have a communist revolution happen in Victoria II and then it lets me reinstate slavery.

Gulags and such...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

YF-23 posted:

I used to be very active on the EU3 bug reporting forums, hopefully that gives me a leg up.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Van5 posted:

Gulags and such...

Forced labour for prisoners is not the same thing as chattel slavery which is generally what the slave pop represents I think, and even if im wrong about that there isn't any way to actually make any pops become slaves anyway so its entirely meaningless.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I doubt anyone actually reads those submissions. More than likely it's all chosen via ranges they want. X amount of Mac users, X amount of Linux, X Windows. Then filtered down by hardware specs.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

run DNC posted:

Forced labour for prisoners is not the same thing as chattel slavery which is generally what the slave pop represents I think, and even if im wrong about that there isn't any way to actually make any pops become slaves anyway so its entirely meaningless.

And Gulags were just resurrected Katorgas anyways, so with that logic you might as well argue that monarchy AIs should also be clamoring for slavery's return.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I put my application in, now to start kissing rear end to Wiz and podcat and the rest of the developers that post in this thread. :getin:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JGBeagle posted:

I put my application in, now to start kissing rear end to Wiz and podcat and the rest of the developers that post in this thread. :getin:

I'm pretty sure they don't really have much influence in it, it's what's his butt who pretty much entirely handles all the testing and organizing testers right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

YouTuber posted:

I doubt anyone actually reads those submissions. More than likely it's all chosen via ranges they want. X amount of Mac users, X amount of Linux, X Windows. Then filtered down by hardware specs.

I dunno, I've always said in those applications that paradox games are garbage at release so you should let me test them and stop that.

They've never let me in to a beta.

• Locked thread