Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

StrangeWhatLoveDoes posted:

Seriously, the Travis Barker drum jams on a few of the tracks sound just awful. I have no idea how DP could let that stuff onto an album.

Yeah, god-- when they really start to "rock out" at the end of Giorgio By Moroder it is so bad, the sound of the drums is total garbage and the fills are just "atrocious local nu-metal band."

Honestly, it kind of reminds me of another 90s sampling genius' efforts in producing live musicians-- the RZA. He could flip a groove from an old Stax record like nobody's business, but he wanted to be respected as an all-around producer, and then suddenly you've got John Frusciante and some dude from System of a Down playing their bullshit on a Wu-Tang record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I must be insane or something because after listening to this whole record straight through about 15 times, I like it more than Discovery and Homework. Maybe it's because RAM is brand new so I'm not "tired" of it, but it has zero tracks that I skip. Even Discovery, which I consider my favorite record of all time, has a few songs I skip nearly every time.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, the more I think about this album the more I realize that the problem isn't that it's a "terrible" album, it's that I've heard the style of music on this album done so much better already. I'm a johnny-come-lately when it comes to Daft Punk, and I've only really started listening to them within the last couple of years, but I've heard so many albums influenced by them by now that when I hear Random Access Memories it actually sounds like knock-off of other Daft Punk-inspired bands.

Justice is now a better Daft Punk than Daft Punk is. I guess what I'm saying is that Guy-Manuel and Thomas should surrender their robot helmets to the dudes from Justice, and Justice should just be Daft Punk from here on out.

Because Justice produced a follow up album that didn't disappoint like half of the people that listened to it :jerkbag:

Cleretic posted:

I just want to weigh in on the subject of Justice as 'the new Daft Punk' or whatever, since I only heard about them this year, when I made a Daft Punk Pandora station and they were thrown up at me with as much frequency as Deadmau5.

I appreciate them, but in no way are they 'the new Daft Punk', or the any Daft Punk. Maybe I'm getting a biased sampling, because that station really likes throwing Phantom Pt. II and especially D.A.N.C.E. at me, but it seems like a lot of their sound is very 'hard', an almost brutal sound that is not entirely unlike being punched in the face (and I mean that in the best possible way). And that's not what I know Daft Punk for, I know them for the softer material that composed a fair amount of Discovery, most of what I've heard from Homework, and the entirety of Random Access Memories.

If you think Justice is anything like Daft Punk's actual material, we're clearly not listening to the same Justice. I'd like to be proven wrong, but my slightly sleep-addled mind can't think of any evidence otherwise that I'm aware of.

Have you listened to Human After All?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Cleretic posted:

I just want to weigh in on the subject of Justice as 'the new Daft Punk' or whatever, since I only heard about them this year, when I made a Daft Punk Pandora station and they were thrown up at me with as much frequency as Deadmau5.

I appreciate them, but in no way are they 'the new Daft Punk', or the any Daft Punk. Maybe I'm getting a biased sampling, because that station really likes throwing Phantom Pt. II and especially D.A.N.C.E. at me, but it seems like a lot of their sound is very 'hard', an almost brutal sound that is not entirely unlike being punched in the face (and I mean that in the best possible way). And that's not what I know Daft Punk for, I know them for the softer material that composed a fair amount of Discovery, most of what I've heard from Homework, and the entirety of Random Access Memories.

If you think Justice is anything like Daft Punk's actual material, we're clearly not listening to the same Justice. I'd like to be proven wrong, but my slightly sleep-addled mind can't think of any evidence otherwise that I'm aware of.

It's not a 1 to 1 comparison but the inspiration is undeniable. It's two french Michael Jackson worshippers on Ed Banger who took off on the promise of "We are your friends", which is an insistently repeated vocal sample propped up by a stellar bassline...which is the same story as Around the World. Then you've got †, with Waters of Nazareth as a Da Funk stand in that received almost as much attention and a bunch of tracks that mix the attitudes of Homework and Discovery as well as anything from Alive 2007.

Their sound isn't the same but the fact that their style was so immediate and influential only makes them look more like heirs to the empire to me. Justice and the rest of the high level EDM acts are probably a big reason we got this album, there's already a healthy community sprouting off of Alive 2007 and grooves with a mean mug on them and that's obviously a young mans game. Plus, as I just mentioned, Justice also released a "Hey guys this forgotten genre is still cool" sophomore album that defiantly refused to follow up on the monster they created at first. More DP analogues.

If people need an album full of French bangers to fix things, I suggest "Total" by SebastiAn. Then his remixes album. He's going to be a giant thing if he ever figures out how to write endings for his songs. The track "Ross Ross Ross" from that album is already a big hit, but it's also the highwater mark for hard rear end glitch EDM as far as I'm concerned.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 14, 2013

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Daft Punk invented repetitious sampling.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

chime_on posted:

Yeah, god-- when they really start to "rock out" at the end of Giorgio By Moroder it is so bad, the sound of the drums is total garbage and the fills are just "atrocious local nu-metal band."
Yeah, someone in the thread had mentioned that 6 minutes in was where GBM really took off, and I was enjoying it up to that point, but then it was just like "Oh, he meant that's when the rock drumming kicked in". It's not even that I can't see the appeal but it's not really what I was looking for/hoping for.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I can't really fault anyone for not digging this album but I've completely lost any objectivity for it, mostly because of what Discovery and Homework meant for me. I had the same thing happen with The Mars Volta after their first album, where I liked it so much I felt like I just "bought in" to whatever they did for a looooooong time afterwards and it took a couple of true full-album stinkers and admissions of in-band strife to finally break the spell.

Once someone proves to me they have it in them to do something like Discovery I'm just automatically excited and accepting of whatever they feel like doing afterwards as long as it has a hint of the same care and effort. RAM felt like it hit me in the heart and it didn't dissapoint in any other big ways. There are dips (for me "within" - just a touch too morose - and "instant crush" - hello strokes b-side) but the whole thing is a wonderful trip and even better for how unexpected a lot of it is.

Even with "within" as a low point I can't say I didn't see it coming after the Chilly Gonzales cover of "Too Long". Maybe I'll just replace that track with it. It would totally qualify for this album if the original never existed and the instrumentation got the same expensive punch up treatment everything else did.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 14, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Cleretic posted:

Some of RAM reminds me of Audio Video Disco, but only tiny parts of certain songs.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

JSnake posted:

I must be insane or something because after listening to this whole record straight through about 15 times, I like it more than Discovery and Homework. Maybe it's because RAM is brand new so I'm not "tired" of it, but it has zero tracks that I skip. Even Discovery, which I consider my favorite record of all time, has a few songs I skip nearly every time.

Yeah you must be insane because you've listened to an album that came out less than 24 hours ago 15 times already.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Yeah you must be insane because you've listened to an album that came out less than 24 hours ago 15 times already.

I really didn't think I'd have to put a big ol' :siren: EXAGGERATION FOR DRAMATIC EFFECT :siren: disclaimer but I guess I do.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Haha this Pitchfork cover story is pretty crazy. I don't think they do cover stories like this without giving Best New Music (or at least a high score), and we know they heard this album months ago so it's not like it's a surprise to them. I'm still thinking they'll rate it pretty highly.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Muck and Mire posted:

Haha this Pitchfork cover story is pretty crazy. I don't think they do cover stories like this without giving Best New Music (or at least a high score), and we know they heard this album months ago so it's not like it's a surprise to them. I'm still thinking they'll rate it pretty highly.

It would be amusing if despite all this rigmarole they end slapping the good old 6.9 on the thing anyway.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Muck and Mire posted:

Pitchfork posted:

Considering their typical full-body attire, it's a bit shocking to see Daft Punk simply lounging in swim trunks.

Bangalter is tall, slim, and bearded in an unbuttoned denim top and straw hat.

:lol:

gently caress the sequin suits I want to see that

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i dont think anyone is saying that justice is the new daft punk, just that they are making better tunes than them. i don't really agree with that supposition because like 3 songs on AVD were actually listenable (newlands is amazing), but i agree with the idea that other producers have probably supplanted them.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Muck and Mire posted:

quote:

“Technology has made music accessible in a philosophically interesting way, which is great,” says Bangalter, talking about the proliferation of home recording and the laptop studio. “But on the other hand, when everybody has the ability to make magic, it's like there's no more magic—if the audience can just do it themselves, why are they going to bother?”
That's pretty heavy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Interesting to hear that the Strokes are DP's favorite modern rock band in that Pete Tong interview. Instant Crush is a lot less of a shock in that context. It's also really interesting to hear that there are orchestral versions of ALL the tracks and most of them went un-used. Judging from the "record a ton of poo poo, use it later" approach I'm betting the remixes or remix album they allude to in that interview is going to leverage a lot of the un-used material.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

It's a great idea, instead of crate digging, just make all your own samples. (i guess that's stetsasonic)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ManoliIsFat posted:

That's pretty heavy.

no it isnt, its poo poo dads say

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
Guys, Pharell told me this album would change music forever I don't know what to think anymore.

I have to say, going back and rewatching the collaborator videos after listening to the album makes some of them quite hilarious.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I donno, at least from Daft Punk's point of view it's right. They got famous making house loops on Bangalter's dad's expensive recording gear, before DAWs and such were really prevalent. In 2013 any kid with a laptop and a cracked copy of Ableton can make music like that. I'm not sure if this was their intent but it would be kind of funny to react to that by spending a ton of money on studio musicians, like saying "good luck doing this with your laptops, kids."

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
If I had to use one word to describe this album, it would be "lame". This limp dicked disco farce is the softest, corniest, lamest poo poo I've ever heard.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Todd Edwards especially, I mean...I like the album and all but that guy sounded like he had a genuinely religious experience. And then his song is a sun-soaked romp through a flower field about how much he loved making his song. If this was Jonestown he would've saved like 4 lives by drinking other people's kool aid. He went from a name drop on Teachers to a full fledged soldier :lol:

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 14, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CannedMacabre posted:

Love the 80's Doobies feel of Fragments of Time.

I loving love the album in a completely different way than the previous albums. Maybe I'm getting old in just the right way for these kinds of tracks. Adult Soft Rock Robots are okay with me.

I was thinking the exact same thing on my second listen. I was like... ohay, Italo, Soft Rock, & Disco are exactly what I've been listening to the past couple of years, just funny to see Daft Punk go and do this in such a grandiose way.

It'll be odd if they bring about another resurgence in the popularity of yacht rock & adult contemporary music w/ this album.

The guitar riff & bass line from Beyond might as well be lifted from an alternate version of "I Keep Forgettin' "

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 14, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The song I keep going back to is "Touch", surprisingly. It's really grown on me since I heard it for the first time yesterday.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

The song I keep going back to is "Touch", surprisingly. It's really grown on me since I heard it for the first time yesterday.

Same here. The pitchfork cover story has them saying that's the centerpiece of the album and I agree with a lot of other reviews calling it a "I'm a real boy!" moment for DP. Paul Williams and his history provide a lot of cover for the FEEELINGS moment here but the choral section is about as soul-baring as anything you're going to get this year and he's not in there. It's a big uncool musical hug. Imagine if this album was out before Alive 2007 and there was a festival sing-a-long moment somewhere in there with a monstrous crowd singing "If love is the answer, you're home". Real robo hippie poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 14, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I think what happened for a lot of people, including myself to some degree, is that we were expecting Alive + Tron + Discovery for the most part, and the release of Get Lucky and leaks of Doin it Right and Contact kind of fed into that expectation, but what we got was a pretty chill album that is a much bigger departure than most people expected. I know for myself, I was hyped on the idea of Daft Punk following up Discovery with an album that did not rely on samples of previous songs, giving them more freedom than they had before. We sort of got that, but I only wish the album was less Something About Us and more Superheroes, Aerodynamic, and Too Long.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Cleretic posted:

...it seems like a lot of their sound is very 'hard', an almost brutal sound that is not entirely unlike being punched in the face (and I mean that in the best possible way). And that's not what I know Daft Punk for...

uhhh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEYnXd5VkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeWLi9TROtE

there you go, welcome to Daft Punk punching you in the face circa 2005

and here's one from 1997 for good measure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZD_ItaEuU

The Fresh Prince posted:

Have you listened to Human After All?

this...

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Ras Het posted:

no it isnt, its poo poo dads say

Not saying you're doing this but your post reminded me...I'm kinda amused at how often people are comparing this album to "adult contemporary" and "mom/dad music" and poo poo like that. It's kind of a weird criticism because it doesn't address the music itself in any meaningful way, it's just an easy way to categorize it as unhip and therefore bad.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Doin' it Right is so hip it hurts. That song is going to tear up radio waves on all kinds of stations if it gets out there.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
The problem I have with this album isn't that it's bad, because it isn't, it's that it's boring. It's like a fanfare for all the underachievers out there. Too bad, could have been fun.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I think a lot of the backlash I'm hearing is rooted in a distaste for real instruments in music. We are too used wub wub synths sounding 'modern' and now real drums and pianos sound cheesy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BeavisNuke posted:

I think a lot of the backlash I'm hearing is rooted in a distaste for real instruments in music. We are too used wub wub synths sounding 'modern' and now real drums and pianos sound cheesy.

Um, no? It wouldn't matter if this album was made entirely in FL, it would still be super boring

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Im diggin it. They brought techno back to its roots. Disco inferno.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

BeavisNuke posted:

I really really wish people who like the album would stop trying to dismiss criticisms like this. Like maybe just try to own that you like something other people seriously do not think is good rather than coming up with reasons why their opinions are somehow distorted/invalid.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

het posted:

I really really wish people who like the album would stop trying to dismiss criticisms like this. Like maybe just try to own that you like something other people seriously do not think is good rather than coming up with reasons why their opinions are somehow distorted/invalid.

I wish people wanting to engage in a real critical discussion could say more than "boring," "mom-rock," etc. If the whole album was 10 bpm faster and had a few more drum machines I guarantee this thread would read totally differently.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There are albums where I can't understand why someone wouldn't like it, but that's usually a situation where an artist delivers big on something that was expected of them. Where I can say "Well what the gently caress were you expecting then?" It's perfectly understandable for someone to be expecting something else, especially if they're not obsessively consuming previews and details about it.

This album is reaching hard for a lot of different things, trying things that are way outside of the DP comfort zone, and playing it low-key when the genre they're heavily responsible for is going in the exact opposite direction. It's the biggest experiment they've ever embarked on, and it almost completely abandons the live album/show that got people excited about this in the first place. How could you possibly expect it not to dissapoint a lot of people?

I feel that way about Homework. I recognize what a stretch it was at the time, and there are tracks I just plain don't like, but there are some that succeed in big ways and I can see how the other tracks came along with those moments of greatness. I appreciate it as an experiment that produced some results, if not a completely successful album.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 14, 2013

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

Not saying you're doing this but your post reminded me...I'm kinda amused at how often people are comparing this album to "adult contemporary" and "mom/dad music" and poo poo like that. It's kind of a weird criticism because it doesn't address the music itself in any meaningful way, it's just an easy way to categorize it as unhip and therefore bad.
Well its that the music is dated and appeals to pretty bland sensibilities. And I LOVE revival stuff. I'm a huge garage fan, and that nowadays is exclusively about digging in the past, making songs that sound like they came out decades ago. I really love The Aggrolites, as old ska is pretty close to perfection for me. It's not "uggh, not trendy enough", it's that these dudes who have rightly reached legendary status in the music world came out with some pretty plain tracks.

But I agree, "my mom would like this" is a pretty easy+lazy criticism, but idk it really gets to the point I'm trying to convey.

If Daft Punk were like normal producers, made albums like every 6-12 months, and this was a foray in to something interesting, this wouldn't be a big deal. Lots of producers do that kinda thing. But since they release an album every decade, we're allowed to pour over it.

BeavisNuke posted:

I wish people wanting to engage in a real critical discussion could say more than "boring," "mom-rock," etc. If the whole album was 10 bpm faster and had a few more drum machines I guarantee this thread would read totally differently.
LOL i agree. It's why people like Daft Punk songs more than the original songs they sampled. There's a lot to be said for "play it faster, put a break under it".

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 14, 2013

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
I think someone definitely hit it spot on for me when they said this album sounded very soft compared to their past work.
I don't dislike this album - I think Giorgio, Touch, Doin It Right, Contact, Fragments, etc. are great songs, but if I could have had the masters of filter French house continue their sound, I would have preferred that.
Also, I find the pacing of the A side is terrible and the whole thing is overlong. Game of Love/Giorgio/Within is too slow and kills the energy from the first track. I think something like the below would play better, especially to newer fans/curious people who will stream this and start from Track 1.

1. Contact
2. Get Lucky
3. Doin' It Right
4. Fragments of Time
5. Giorgio by Moroder
6. Game of Love
7. Lose Yourself to Dance
8. Instant Crush
9. Give Life Back to Music
10. Touch

Still a good album, but I can see how people are so divided on it. I think fans of music and musicianship will really enjoy this, fans of Daft Punk (One More Time/Robot Rock/Harder, Faster, Better, Stronger) will not.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

BeavisNuke posted:

I wish people wanting to engage in a real critical discussion could say more than "boring," "mom-rock," etc.
There's been plenty that's been said, it just gets ignored so you can pretend nobody has reasonable complaints about the album.

quote:

If the whole album was 10 bpm faster and had a few more drum machines I guarantee this thread would read totally differently.
If it were generally more dance-music-oriented, yeah, probably? I mean, "10 bpm faster and had a few more drum machines" is silly and reductive, but yes, I think being more pop/dance oriented (basically if Get Lucky had been an average song on the album rather than the best one) would have produced a better album.

BTW, you realize the vast majority of responses to the album in this thread have been unmitigated praise, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

BeavisNuke posted:

It's easy to act like people are hypocrites because they're behaving contrary to how they would in a theoretical situation you just made up, but that doesn't actually make it true or valid.

I like the album quite a bit, but it's pretty absurd to say "oh we're just not used to real instruments anymore." Like... what? I'm pretty sure Skrillex and Justice didn't take everyone's guitars and drums and toss them into Mount Doom five years ago. It's grasping at straws.

• Locked thread