Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Probably already sold, deleted. So yes, it was a good deal!

The SM suspension is fine for offroad.

drat! literally in the 3 minutes since I'd posted the ad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm looking for my first bike, and while browsing craigslist just to make the wait that much harder I came across this http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/3775172901.html, and wanted to know what you guys thought. I'm a pretty big dude, 6'7 and 300 lbs, would this be a good fit? Would it be good for a starter bike? I'm looking for something for commuting to work and home and maybe cruising around town. Any advice or suggestions of good deals in the area would be swell, I'm in Phoenix.

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 11, 2013

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm looking for my first bike, and while browsing craigslist just to make the wait that much harder I came across this http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/3775172901.html, and wanted to know what you guys thought. I'm a pretty big dude, 6'7 and 300 lbs, would this be a good fit? Would it be good for a starter bike? I'm looking for something for commuting to work and home and maybe cruising around town. Any advice or suggestions of good deals in the area would be swell, I'm in Phoenix.

no. people will suggest other bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

However, at 6'7" and 300 pounds, I do think you should ignore anyone who suggests a Ninja 250.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Gweenz posted:

Opinions on the Volusia 800? Intermediate rider.

http://wausau.craigslist.org/mcy/3750239067.html

It's a modern C50 with carbs instead of FI, so you can sit on one at a dealer and see if you like it. I would google around for a Suzuki cruiser-specific forum for any model/year issues, but the C50 has a decent rep. The bags are a nice accessory to have. I'm not sure what you're riding now / have ridden, but the Suzuki isn't going to be especially fast or nimble, though it certainly can be made comfy.

Schroeder91 posted:

I think GnarlyCharlie is the forums expert on these but I think that year's smack in the range that had cam oiling issues. There's really nothing redeeming about the specific bike either except for the price, and it's got a bad rattlecan paint job and a bunch of fuckered up wiring. I would keep looking. My go-to recommendation for first bike for big dudes is a dual-sport like a KLR650, or a sub-900CccJap cruiser like the Volusia / C50 listed above.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions, I start looking at those. I'm not a particular fan of the KLR but it is a starter bike and I need some skills before I buy something nice and wreck it.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's a modern C50 with carbs instead of FI, so you can sit on one at a dealer and see if you like it. I would google around for a Suzuki cruiser-specific forum for any model/year issues, but the C50 has a decent rep. The bags are a nice accessory to have. I'm not sure what you're riding now / have ridden, but the Suzuki isn't going to be especially fast or nimble, though it certainly can be made comfy.

Thanks. From everything I'm reading they seem reliable. I come from riding a naked sport, looking for something more comfortable. I'd like an M50 but can't find one that isn't overpriced.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

astrollinthepork posted:

So I picked up this bike, a mostly clean 03 with 20k on the odo. He didn't mention that it was dropped at one point, but the only damage was to the $40 crankcase cover. Paid $2700.

On the way home, I dropped the thing. Lowsided it really, but that's a post for another thread. Broke off a mirror, bent the clutch lever, and gouged up the stator cover. No other damage thankfully.

Sucks about the drop but helllll yes dude! :) Envy over here.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

How much should I be spending for a 2008 DRZ400S? Blue book says 3700, but most people are asking around 4500. A dealer around here (SE PA) has one for 4600 that I've been eyeing up. Think I can get him to move a little on it? It's been there a while and I'd be paying straight cash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
S or SM? The S model shouldn't be more than 2k, around 4k seems to be the going rate for SMs. Limited supply and high demand.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

BlackMK4 posted:

Sucks about the drop but helllll yes dude! :) Envy over here.
Yeah it's annoying but it can be fixed to look like new on the cheap. My Dainese jacket however, cannot. :smith:

Thank you sooooo much for posting that ad. I didn't know those bikes existed and probably wouldn't have if you hadn't shared it. It's like everything I could want out out of a bike. Aside from the seat that is. I cannot recommend this bike enough for someone looking to step up from a beginner's bike. They're relatively cheap and plentiful.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
I might be succumbing to the KLR bandwagon for a first bike.

Send help, or pics of KLR650's in the central texas area.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

S or SM? The S model shouldn't be more than 2k, around 4k seems to be the going rate for SMs. Limited supply and high demand.

Doesn't seem to matter, actually. You see a couple old beat-up looking S's for 2k, but they mostly seem to go for as much as the SMs.

S
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3728531334.html
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/3750046280.html
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3770690402.html

SM
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/3796178988.html
to show what I'm talking about.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Doesn't seem to matter, actually. You see a couple old beat-up looking S's for 2k, but they mostly seem to go for as much as the SMs.

S
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3728531334.html
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/3750046280.html
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3770690402.html

SM
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/3796178988.html
to show what I'm talking about.

That SM isn't an SM, fyi

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

That SM isn't an SM, fyi

Yeah, It was the best I could find, real SMs go in the next day haha.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I would think SM prices would be dropping now that Suzuki's selling new ones again. I passed on a bone-stock one at $4k earlier this year and it sold, but it took a while. Seems hard to tell sometimes on CL between "decently modded" and "PO really fuckered this one up."

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Waited many days, went and looked at the frankenbike. I gave it a thorough working over of every point on the ubiquitous "Motorcycle Buying Check List" that floats around, then I put down a deposit and will be having it delivered tomorrow evening because gently caress, under the mismatched paint that is a really really nice loving bike that is rock solid. I kind of dig the lovely paint job after seeing it in person. :3:

The turning point was seeing the exact same model show up in the 'wack for $1000 with literally nothing done to it in non-running condition, whereas this one as had at least that much in work done to it over the past half-decade.

So yes, this is now my first bike:

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 13, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Another suggestion thread success story.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I look forward to coming back in a month going "Should have listened to you guys, the frame failed and now I am a paraplegic and poo poo through a tube." :hfive:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcd/3782629182.html

What do you guys think of this bike? The price is right for around here, but I'm not sure I trust those lovely aftermarket plastics for a bike with less than a 1000 miles on it. A lot of bike for the same price as I'm seeing for DRZs and WR250s though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nsaP posted:

Another suggestion thread success story.
Guys stop peeing in the well.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcd/3782629182.html

What do you guys think of this bike? The price is right for around here, but I'm not sure I trust those lovely aftermarket plastics for a bike with less than a 1000 miles on it. A lot of bike for the same price as I'm seeing for DRZs and WR250s though.

How's that street legal if it don't got no mirrors hm?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those things rip but are also handgrenades.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Buying an old ferrari is cheap. Running an old ferrari isn't. ... That phrase works for Husqvarna.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Nerobro posted:

Buying an old ferrari is cheap. Running an old ferrari isn't. ... That phrase works for Husqvarna.

Though potentially irrelevant, I can vouch this is true for their chainsaws as well. Goddamn you Husqvarna.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Alright guys, I have narrowed my search for a dual sport to these two candidates.

http://www.cyclemax.net/2008SuzukiDR-Z400SK-inventory.htm?id=370866&used=1&vin=JS1SK43A482100756#img2

or

I'm planning to use it for guerrilla offroad jaunts in SE PA, practicing wheelies and stoppies, and light commuting, in that order. Thoughts? Preferences one over the other? They're both very clean. Someday I'd like to play around with supermotoing whichever I get, but that may or may not happen. What do you think?

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
I'm in the market for a new bike. The Triumph Bonneville T100 has really been peaking my interest.

Been looking around for one 2008 or newer, seem most of the used ones are running $4000-$6000, and new $8500. Does anyone have any first or second hand knowledge of this bike? I have yet to see one being rode around me, closest thing I've been able to get on was a royal enfield. How are these bikes on durability? I plan on doing plenty of city driving, and a few long stints, 400+ mile runs, here and there. To me they are so beautiful, really have a thing for classic looking motorcycles.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ganglysumbia posted:

I'm in the market for a new bike. The Triumph Bonneville T100 has really been peaking my interest.

Been looking around for one 2008 or newer, seem most of the used ones are running $4000-$6000, and new $8500. Does anyone have any first or second hand knowledge of this bike? I have yet to see one being rode around me, closest thing I've been able to get on was a royal enfield. How are these bikes on durability? I plan on doing plenty of city driving, and a few long stints, 400+ mile runs, here and there. To me they are so beautiful, really have a thing for classic looking motorcycles.

From what I read they tend to leak oil like a sieve and are moderately underpowered for an 800cc thumper. Also they are all getting built in Indonesia now, not England, so take from that what you will.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ganglysumbia posted:

I've a friend with a 2005 he rides regularly, never given him any major problems. It's a very vanilla motorcycle, ergos are as standard as standard gets, the power comes on even and is never very exciting, but it's a smooth ride and a beautiful bike. Old men will approach you in the street to talk about it and women won't be too intimidated to ride pillion on the flat seat as they might on a sportbike. Without a windshield the air blast will make you not want to go much past 90 but then again the bike won't want to do that either. If you want to ride aggressively and lane split and cut through traffic in the city you'll not want it but it'll be nice and comfortable for a long cruise.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Ya, the Enfield owner had some leaking oil problems too, and heard that they where being made in India/Indonesia too. You would think a company like Triumph would have some decent quality control though... One of the reasons I like it is that it seems relatively easy and cheap to maintain, not a big gear head, and the simpler the bike the better in my opinion.

No intentions on going very fast or doing stupid things in general, so sounds like a nice fit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ganglysumbia posted:

Ya, the Enfield owner had some leaking oil problems too, and heard that they where being made in India/Indonesia too. You would think a company like Triumph would have some decent quality control though... One of the reasons I like it is that it seems relatively easy and cheap to maintain, not a big gear head, and the simpler the bike the better in my opinion.

No intentions on going very fast or doing stupid things in general, so sounds like a nice fit.

I would not be worried about severe oil leaks or other dire issues with the modern Triumph twin. You can go here to ask technical questions. http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/ Keep in mind if you ask on TriumphRat whether to buy a Triumph, they will always say yes.

Here's another thread comparing the Bonnie to the Guzzi V7: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886282
Personally I think the ADV guys give less weight to the Guzzi's poor dealer support and at best less defined reliability history than most buyers would.

The major complaints I've heard about the Bonnie are that it's suspension is kind of cheap, but that's also a cheap fix. It's also not very fast, but that's not always a downside.

An Enfield is a distinctly older design, and it shows.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Looking at 500cc bikes for when I pass my Mod 1 (way in the future, but I like doing my research). I was thinking of a CBF500, but I just despise those big round single headlights. Can't explain it, I just think they're awful. I know I can replace them, and the rest of the design is fine, but my Honda's fasteners and general work quality is somewhat lacking, according to some other riders that applies to all mid-2000's and onwards Hondas. I'm now looking at a Suzuki GS500F (I've heard Suzukis are very easy to work on and modify), Kawasaki GPZ500, or comedy option (and given recent reminiscing in another thread about these) a '99 Repsol NC29. This is actually solely so I can give my Repsol'd up 125 to my boyfriend and ride about like the two biggest wankers in town.

I'm 6'3", so if any lanky fuckers have ridden one of these let me know how you found it.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 14, 2013

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ganglysumbia posted:

Well the difference is that the Enfield has been manufactured in India for 60 years without an export market, so in general they actually have their poo poo together. They just switched from cast iron to an aluminum block last year too, thus I've heard the oil leaking issues on them are somewhat less than they used to be with a bit more power to boot.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Wootcannon posted:

Looking at 500cc bikes for when I pass my Mod 1 (way in the future, but I like doing my research). I was thinking of a CBF500, but I just despise those big round single headlights. Can't explain it, I just think they're awful. I know I can replace them, and the rest of the design is fine, but my Honda's fasteners and general work quality is somewhat lacking, according to some other riders that applies to all mid-2000's and onwards Hondas. I'm now looking at a Suzuki GS500F (I've heard Suzukis are very easy to work on and modify), Kawasaki GPZ500, or comedy option (and given recent reminiscing in another thread about these) a '99 Repsol NC29. This is actually solely so I can give my Repsol'd up 125 to my boyfriend and ride about like the two biggest wankers in town.

I'm 6'3", so if any lanky fuckers have ridden one of these let me know how you found it.

Not that there's anything wrong with 500's, of course, but unless you're quite young you'll be doing your Mod 1 & 2 on a 600+ anyway. Was there a reason you're sold on a 500?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

hermand posted:

Not that there's anything wrong with 500's, of course, but unless you're quite young you'll be doing your Mod 1 & 2 on a 600+ anyway. Was there a reason you're sold on a 500?

Because Mod 1 is restricted to 500cc under the EU directive of the 1st of January 2013, AFAIK.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

ganglysumbia posted:

I had a 2009 bonnie for a while--mag wheeled, not the t100. Anyway, it's a great looking bike and I had no issues in the year or so that I had it. The powerplant is pretty anemic compared to most other bikes I've ridden--pretty sure my buddy's ninja 500 could have dusted it. I sold it and bopped around through a few bikes until I landed on my street triple.

If you dig a really moderate nice-looking bike, by all means.

If going fast is your thing, move on.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ohwandernearer posted:

I had a 2009 bonnie for a while--mag wheeled, not the t100. Anyway, it's a great looking bike and I had no issues in the year or so that I had it. The powerplant is pretty anemic compared to most other bikes I've ridden--pretty sure my buddy's ninja 500 could have dusted it. I sold it and bopped around through a few bikes until I landed on my street triple.

If you dig a really moderate nice-looking bike, by all means.

If going fast is your thing, move on.

I would love to trade my Streety for a Scrambler but I'd really miss blasting 125 mph down the highway and being able to pull to 100 from 80 in a split second. drat pretty bikes though.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does anyone have any here have any experience pricing a new Honda NC700X? I'm in the market for an extremely efficient, extremely reliable, and extremely boring motorcycle and the NC sounds like it's the perfect fit for me, but I can't find one anywhere near Colorado for under MSRP.

Speaking of MSRP, I've been quoted $7,952 OTD on a $6,999 2012 NC700X, including 7% sales tax - does that sound fair in terms of the extra fees being added in? Should I try to shave off $500 since I'm getting last year's model, and the manual transmission at that?

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Wootcannon posted:

Because Mod 1 is restricted to 500cc under the EU directive of the 1st of January 2013, AFAIK.

You're talking about British motorcycle test, right? If so, it partially depends on you're age and the licence category you're going for, but I've just (as of Friday) completed all my training on a 600 Bandit, which is the minimum size for the full unrestricted motorcycle licence.

Full details here: https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-practical-test/rules-for-mopeds-and-motorcycles-used-in-the-practical-riding-test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

hermand posted:

You're talking about British motorcycle test, right? If so, it partially depends on you're age and the licence category you're going for, but I've just (as of Friday) completed all my training on a 600 Bandit, which is the minimum size for the full unrestricted motorcycle licence.

Full details here: https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-practical-test/rules-for-mopeds-and-motorcycles-used-in-the-practical-riding-test

I know, I'm 21.