Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

cronox2 posted:

Off topic, but from what I've seen the 360 app is at about the same level as the iOS and Android apps, which is pretty terrible and bizarrely gimped. You can only see the top 300 channels and there's no search function or a way to sign in to your account.

Skipping around to games of ~4+ hour long fighting game/Starcraft tournament stream archives is the only way I use Twitch pretty much. So far hooking up a laptop is the only way I've been able to do that in my not-computer-room. Just get a job that provides a laptop duhhh - problem solved! (No really if anyone knows a way to do this please say, the laptop thing sucks since it doesn't stay at home.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Red_Mage posted:

Its a handheld.

A handheld console?

e: I agree however that 'console' has become a meaningless distinction these days.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Aweful Dreams posted:

Note that wireless HDMI tends to have pretty bad lag, so you won't want to use it for anything that requires speed or accuracy.

This isn't true anymore. I have a couple Startech ones that have no noticeable lag.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'd love to have a Vita with a TV-out, but alas, it does not have that.

Wow, thought it did, since my old PSP could do TV out. Oh well, I stick by the point :) The majority of the unit's price is going into the screen and the battery, the things that make it portable, so it's considered a handheld, though really handhelds and consoles are starting to converge, and it's business exclusivity contracts that really see the biggest difference.

Dec 26, 2012

Red_Mage posted:

Its a handheld.

Basically this. They're aiming for that usage, the HDMI out is secondary from what I took from it.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I guess if they released a SHIELD Lite without a screen but which still had the HDMI out it'd be a console.

It would be, but at that point it'd be competing with actual consoles and would be arguably more laughable for it.

e: v Let's not set the bar too high here.

01011001 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 14, 2013

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
It'd be better than the OUYA in some ways, though :)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the answer all. Really, the only reason I bring this up is that the term "console exclusive" has been thrown around by the OUYA folks. I figured the distinction was cherry picking, and meaningless, and it sounds like it is.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'd love to have a Vita with a TV-out, but alas, it does not have that.

Apparently there's some super hacky way to get video out from a Vita over a mini usb plug + adapter. It requires physically modifying the Vita and you can ship it to some shop and they'll do it for you.
http://wololo.net/2013/03/31/hardmodded-vita-with-capture-card-on-the-loose/

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb just recently had it done to one of his.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

w00tazn posted:

Apparently there's some super hacky way to get video out from a Vita over a mini usb plug + adapter. It requires physically modifying the Vita and you can ship it to some shop and they'll do it for you.
http://wololo.net/2013/03/31/hardmodded-vita-with-capture-card-on-the-loose/

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb just recently had it done to one of his.

Right -- it needs PC software to display, though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I...I got inspired. Enjoy the trip.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.
Edit: ^^^^ this is terrific ^^^^

Red_Mage posted:

Its a handheld.

That's... a type... of.... console?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_game_console

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Palpek posted:

I...I got inspired. Enjoy the trip.

These are extremely well done, awesome work bahahaha.

This thread has gone completely off-the-mspaint-charts pedantic.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Uncle Jam posted:

Like others have said, they're trying to attract OEMS to build something using their stuff at the core. Ouya type volumes aren't going to cover the spread needed to really get into the set top market in a big way.

They want in to develop these parts before TVs end up with a full fledged computer embedded inside.

Too late. I have a Panasonic TV that'll accept a webcam for Skype and a controller for downloading games from the Viera store. Funnily enough the store isn't increasing in content, which is odd when you consider that the next wave of gaming take place on the.....sorry, couldn't stop myself.

Inspector_71 posted:

I'm pretty sure Apple has a patent/copyright on "retina display" which is why everybody else uses that slight variation.

The 'retina' display that we're used to in mac world is significantly higher resolution than the 'Retinal' display for the Shield (I refuse to caps it), and it's a fairly obvious and scummy attempt to confuse the portable device buyer into thinking it's something better and more sexy than an OLED. Unless they really mean 'of or pertaining to the Retina' and you have to get surgery.

Fake Edit: Palpek, that's genius and also disturbing.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

packetgrinder posted:

Edit: ^^^^ this is terrific ^^^^

That's... a type... of.... console?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_game_console

For real dude? Think about it this way: a PC is to a console what a laptop is to a handheld. The peripherals to interface with the software are built into the hardware rather than as a separate controller you have to connect. It's not that difficult to understand.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

w00tazn posted:

So the OUYA works okay as a media center? I still don't see how it beats a Pivos, which is cheaper and has a better remote + dedicated XBMC staff.
Also, when I was loving with raspbmc on my Raspberry Pi I could stream 1080p flawlessly over ethernet as well. Is there something that I'm missing that makes a Raspberry Pi a bad xbmc experience? (UI performance was fine when I used it)

Until very recently, the Pivos was $10-$20 more than an Ouya. Right now, they're exactly the same price. I haven't used a Pivos myself, so I have no idea if the Ouya beats it for XBMC or not. To me, the performance of XBMC was as smooth as it is on my Foxconn A3500 mini PC. I've heard that the Pivos doesn't run nearly as smoothly. Do they both have basically the same hardware?

As for the RPi, I found browsing the library to be a stuttery mess and had frequent freeze ups when trying to stream 1080p video (and while streaming 720p, although not nearly as often). To be fair, apparently it's common to overclock it to get things working better; I haven't tried this.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Until very recently, the Pivos was $10-$20 more than an Ouya. Right now, they're exactly the same price. I haven't used a Pivos myself, so I have no idea if the Ouya beats it for XBMC or not. To me, the performance of XBMC was as smooth as it is on my Foxconn A3500 mini PC. I've heard that the Pivos doesn't run nearly as smoothly. Do they both have basically the same hardware?

The Pivos is the smoothest Android XBMC experience at the moment because they have supposedly supported the XBMC team in making it so. They are actually doing that thing the OUYA team claimed to be doing. The Pivos also has hardware that is more appropriate for a media box than the OUYA, this is because it knows what it wants to be.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Red_Mage posted:

The Pivos is the smoothest Android XBMC experience at the moment because they have supposedly supported the XBMC team in making it so. They are actually doing that thing the OUYA team claimed to be doing. The Pivos also has hardware that is more appropriate for a media box than the OUYA, this is because it knows what it wants to be.

In what way is the Pivos hardware more appropriate for a media box? The slower CPU/GPU and less RAM and storage? Hardware-wise the Xios DS is really just a generic Android box in a small case, it doesn't have anything special about it. It has hardware video acceleration but so does the Tegra 3.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Page 342 will always live on in my memory.

kirbysuperstar I think you found your first post-game release DLC for Super Markovpants Adventure 3.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Aweful Dreams posted:

In what way is the Pivos hardware more appropriate for a media box? The slower CPU/GPU and less RAM and storage? Hardware-wise the Xios DS is really just a generic Android box in a small case, it doesn't have anything special about it. It has hardware video acceleration but so does the Tegra 3.

Even at Tegra 3 speeds, it doesn't matter how fast it is, because if you're not using hardware acceleration and the content isn't SD-size, you're probably not going to be able to play it back. Only the absolute fastest SoCs that are shipping right now are able to really decode the higher bitrate/resolution HD video in software, and even then it can be hit and miss.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
"I got my Ouya on saturday"

quote:

OUYA Backer

No, the rat-bastard post office union got them to cancel canceling Saturday delivery. Just what I need, billions more stolen in taxes so some post office jack monkey can get an over-inflated pension and benefits and I can get more spam.

OUYA, a console for rational adults.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

raditts posted:

There's a FF5 remake? I guess it figures, since that's near the bottom of the barrel with FF3 as far as series rankings go.

You know there's a FF4 remake as well? Actually 1-5 have been remade and are all on iOS (maybe one day Android) but only FF5 uses the engine from FF Dimensions and it's very apparent. The character icons look pretty terrible and since they're used for movement as well the who layout just seems kind of off base the original game wasn't made with that in mind (should be fine for FF6 but holy hell the character sprites need to not look like poo poo). But in reality we probably get to look forward to malnourished Sabin and Umaro.

limaCAT posted:

:siren:Nvidia Shield shipping in June to retailers for $349:siren:

We'd like to remind you it has hdmi out and loving Google Play support.

If that screen doesn't tilt back another 90 degrees it's going to be impossible to use that thing in any sort of comfortable position. I want to believe that Nvidia's team that made this actually tried playing a game where the screen's at a 90 degree angle instead of 180 and realized the crippling pain it caused was bad, but that picture doesn't look like the joint is made to tilt the screen any further. :ohdear:

Cantorsdust posted:

That's the price of an Xbox 360 when it launched, and it can't be too far behind the price of whatever the next gen consoles will be. There is no way that gets any kind of traction.

It's almost double the price of a 3DS. :psyduck:

The Shield being able to stream games from your PC and use the Occulus Rift could be cool for the dozen or so people that want to set it up. I'd probably use the combo to play stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhyRkAlK5I until I blacked out, but even then there's better controller setups to use with the Rift and $350 is going to buy you some nice gaming accessories.

Hav posted:

"Zynga board member"

Since the SKIDROW is going to be used mainly for emulators and piracy/theft having someone from Zynga on board is a perfect fit.

Requested_Username posted:

For real dude? Think about it this way: a PC is to a console what a laptop is to a handheld. The peripherals to interface with the software are built into the hardware rather than as a separate controller you have to connect. It's not that difficult to understand.

Neither is the reality that "console exclusive" includes handhelds. Ubisoft says "Assassin's Creed 4 will be a Durango exclusive" and then they go and release it on the Vita as well they're going to get nailed the the wall by Microsoft for breach of contract because the game was released on a console other than their own.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

This is beautiful and I love it.

Mr. Beefhead posted:

As for the RPi, I found browsing the library to be a stuttery mess and had frequent freeze ups when trying to stream 1080p video (and while streaming 720p, although not nearly as often). To be fair, apparently it's common to overclock it to get things working better; I haven't tried this.

Isn't the RPi also pretty much marketed as a prototyping board anyway? Everything short of the basic Life-As-A-Microcontroller seemed to be treated as a proof-of-concept more than anything. I'm not sure if they've changed their stance lately, but it was always a lot less of a consumer product than the OUYA. I've never seen any "OUR PRODUCT CAN DO X AND Y FLAWLESSLY" bluster from the Pi guys, at least - they acknowledge that they wanted it to be affordable at the cost of raw power.

I'm not sure if this is a good comparison since the OUYA is a games console and the RPi is a proto board and I'm describing them both in terms of media centers.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Cool Matty posted:

Even at Tegra 3 speeds, it doesn't matter how fast it is, because if you're not using hardware acceleration and the content isn't SD-size, you're probably not going to be able to play it back. Only the absolute fastest SoCs that are shipping right now are able to really decode the higher bitrate/resolution HD video in software, and even then it can be hit and miss.

You're right, but as I said, Tegra 3 has hardware video acceleration that's just as good as what's in the Xios DS, so the Xios doesn't have a hardware advantage there. And you can get an official XBMC build that supports that Tegra 3 hardware acceleration - it isn't quite a solid final product yet, but it's being actively worked on.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Enallyniv posted:

Isn't the RPi also pretty much marketed as a prototyping board anyway? Everything short of the basic Life-As-A-Microcontroller seemed to be treated as a proof-of-concept more than anything. I'm not sure if they've changed their stance lately, but it was always a lot less of a consumer product than the OUYA. I've never seen any "OUR PRODUCT CAN DO X AND Y FLAWLESSLY" bluster from the Pi guys, at least - they acknowledge that they wanted it to be affordable at the cost of raw power.

I'm not sure if this is a good comparison since the OUYA is a games console and the RPi is a proto board and I'm describing them both in terms of media centers.

Absolutely, by no means was the RPi designed as a media center nor is it marketed as such, but it's been brought up about a hundred times in this thread as if it's a viable and superior alternative to the Ouya as a XBMC-running media center, and it isn't. It's also not really valid to compare the Roku/WDTV range of appliances either in my opinion, as while they're both media streamers they're different enough to be similar to a Mac vs. PC arguement.

Cool Matty posted:

The speed matters because the GUI in XBMC doesn't utilize hardware acceleration. Part of what makes XBMC so superior (and different) in so many people's minds over things like the Roku or WDTV is the fantastic user interface.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Random question:

A few pages ago someone linked to a YouTube video about someone getting their OUYA to play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
Today's Engadget article on the Nvidia Shield also shows the device playing... GTA: Vice City.

Is GTA:VC the Killer App of consoles or something?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

monster on a stick posted:

Random question:

A few pages ago someone linked to a YouTube video about someone getting their OUYA to play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
Today's Engadget article on the Nvidia Shield also shows the device playing... GTA: Vice City.

A really old game that can be played on a washing machine is pretty much all you can expect out of anything android/tegra.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

monster on a stick posted:

Random question:

I didn't bother getting VC because GTA3 runs like absolute garbage on my :siren:Tegra3:siren: phone. Maybe they figure it's the most 3D intensive app on the Google store or something. Definitely the worst running thing I've tried.

Also "OUYA News" has followed me about 6 times on Twitter now. Guess they unfollow when they realise any OUYA tweets I've made are negative, then the bot picks it up again the next time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

luncheon meat posted:

I didn't bother getting VC because GTA3 runs like absolute garbage on my :siren:Tegra3:siren: phone.

Just like the PS2 and PC releases, then!

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Just like the PS2 and PC releases, then!

The original Xbox remains the best platform to run Ouya killer apps such as Vice City, old console emulators and XBMC. It's bringing back the living room gaming experience.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Aweful Dreams posted:

Well for one thing it uses a remote instead of a lovely controller. That instantly makes it more appropriate as a media center device than the OUYA. Additionally it has an SDHC slot so you can transfer things to it easier if your network is acting up.

Amazing how two little changes and the software fact that they aren't running a worthless custom launcher make it so much better. Oh and you know, actually having the app ready to go and not needing to sideload a special unofficial build.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Red_Mage posted:

Well for one thing it uses a remote instead of a lovely controller. That instantly makes it more appropriate as a media center device than the OUYA. Additionally it has an SDHC slot so you can transfer things to it easier if your network is acting up.

Amazing how two little changes and the software fact that they aren't running a worthless custom launcher make it so much better. Oh and you know, actually having the app ready to go and not needing to sideload a special unofficial build.

The remote it comes with is really cheap and crappy according to all the reviews I've read - I mean you have a point, but I thought you were talking about the hardware being better, not the included accessories. And how does an SDHC slot make the hardware "so much better" suited for a media player? SD cards haven't been popular for media storage in particular for a while. Extra storage is a decent idea I guess, but then you can pretty much plug anything into a USB port, so it's only a very small advantage. Really the SD card slot is there to make up for the really tiny internal storage (the XIOS only has 2GB of internal storage).

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 15, 2013

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Absolutely, by no means was the RPi designed as a media center nor is it marketed as such, but it's been brought up about a hundred times in this thread as if it's a viable and superior alternative to the Ouya as a XBMC-running media center, and it isn't. It's also not really valid to compare the Roku/WDTV range of appliances either in my opinion, as while they're both media streamers they're different enough to be similar to a Mac vs. PC arguement.

The speed matters because the GUI in XBMC doesn't utilize hardware acceleration. Part of what makes XBMC so superior (and different) in so many people's minds over things like the Roku or WDTV is the fantastic user interface.

The fact is, right now a Raspberry Pi works just fine as a media centre, plays 40GB+ 1080p remuxes fine, is easily controlled via HDMI-CEC, bitstreams DTS and Dolby correctly and does so using stock-standard, non-experimental, stable releases of OpenELEC & XBMC. Yes there are drawbacks like the slow CPU (exacerbated by the licensing issues ensuring the GPU-accelerated DTS decoding code staying disabled) and GUI slowness but you're blowing it out of proportion -- my WDTV Live SMP was *way* slower if you dared enable the media library.

Right now on a Ouya you can, after sideloading an unofficial libstagefright build, enjoy a fast UI, absolutely no multichannel audio and playback hiccups/glitches.

...or about the same as what you can enjoy with a $25 Android stick from Dealxtreme or eBay.

There's a reason that despite sponsoring Android development, Pivos still ship the Linux build of XBMC. It's just not ready for primetime yet. And don't forget the Gamestick also pledges XBMC support, has partnered with Pivos, and costs less.

Things will undoubtedly get better, (especially when you consider Android supports Netflix) and yes, presuming it is in fact capable of bitstreaming multichannel audio, the Ouya will quite probably eclipse the Raspberry Pi with a stable XBMC release even in mere months, but what does that matter if the end game is an Android stick that's just as capable of running XBMC, that comes with Google Play support, that comes with an SD slot, for half the price of an Ouya?

Once libstagefright is stable and in XBMC proper, *any* Android hardware with the appropriate OMX components is good to go.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 15, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aweful Dreams posted:

And how does an SDHC slot make the hardware "so much better" suited for a media player? SD cards haven't been popular for media storage in particular for a while. Extra storage is a decent idea I guess, but then you can pretty much plug anything into a USB port, so it's only a very small advantage. Really the SD card slot is there to make up for the really tiny internal storage (the XIOS only has 2GB of internal storage).
SD cards are so unpopular for media storage they're basically standard on every single digital camera, digital camcorder, and smartphone. Perhaps you just mean 'general storage device I use primarily for transporting movie files from my computer to a device'?

The Xios undoubtedly only has 2GB of internal storage because more would cost more and putting an SDHC slot allows the customer to determine how much they want as well as allow for future expansion!
(also the Xios has three times as many USB ports as the Ouya)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I hope they fix the EEGAH's controllers, so I can get sick finishers on N64 No Mercy.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

frumpsnake posted:

Right now on a Ouya you can, after sideloading an unofficial libstagefright build, enjoy a fast UI, absolutely no multichannel audio and playback hiccups/glitches.
It can do multichannel audio, it's bitstreaming passthrough that's not supported.

frumpsnake posted:

There's a reason that despite sponsoring Android development, Pivos still ship the Linux build of XBMC.
And the reason they let you switch to that if you choose is that without the overhead of Android XBMC has a bit smoother operation on that low end hardware, it has nothing to do with the readiness of XBMC Android.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Dice working on a new iteration of Frostbite aimed at iOS and Android.

I can't wait for 16 people online multiplayer Car Jumper for the OOPSYDAISY.

"My god, it's full of charts!"

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Aweful Dreams posted:

It can do multichannel audio, it's bitstreaming passthrough that's not supported.
I've read conflicting info on this, but regardless of whether or not it decodes to 5.1 or 2.0 for LPCM, a) the fact remains, incredibly basic functionality many people ask for in a media player is not present at the moment, and more importantly b) there is nothing specific to the Ouya that makes it a great choice over other similar Android media players supported by libstagefright. Certainly not its games library.

Aweful Dreams posted:

And the reason they let you switch to that if you choose is that without the overhead of Android XBMC has a bit smoother operation on that low end hardware, it has nothing to do with the readiness of XBMC Android.

So to be clear, you are quite literally claiming that Linux is offered because Android is simply, by design alone, too heavy an operating system, and not because it's mid development, and thus unstable/in alpha???

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 15, 2013

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Aweful Dreams posted:

So it can decode the audio using a decoder (which you need a license for) but not pass it through?

Nah.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

limaCAT posted:

Dice working on a new iteration of Frostbite aimed at iOS and Android.

I can't wait for 16 people online multiplayer Car Jumper for the OOPSYDAISY.
So the only console not supported by Frostbite is the WiiU? Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Armourking posted:

So the only console not supported by Frostbite is the WiiU? Ouch.

The long hand of Bing "Blingee" Gordon, Ex EA Manager, Zynga Manager AND OUYA Backer.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 15, 2013

• Locked thread