Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013
Felt nolstagic again the other day. Decided to boot up my ps1 and pop in final fantasy 7 for another replay.

Lasted 2 hours before I was back on my xbox. I think i'll just keep my memories of the game rather than try play through it all again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Also worth mentioning is that the International Zodiac version features two New Game+ modes, Strong Mode where all characters start at level 90 and Weak Mode where all characters are permanently at level 1.

That said unlocking them requires beating the 100-level Trial Mode, and considering the last three fights are Yiazmat, Omega Mark XII and finally Judges Gabranth, Drace, Bergan, Zargabaath and Ghis simultaneously, you've probably done practically everything by then.

Strong Mode is actually unlocked after finishing the game. Weak Mode is unlocked in Trial Mode.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pope on fire posted:

Felt nolstagic again the other day. Decided to boot up my ps1 and pop in final fantasy 7 for another replay.

Lasted 2 hours before I was back on my xbox. I think i'll just keep my memories of the game rather than try play through it all again!

I actually find 7/8/9 still hold my attention better than most new games even though I've played them to hell and back

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
People love to rag on FF7 these days but I think it's still a good game. It has a special something that makes it all work. There are better games today but it definitely still beats most JRPGs I've played afterwards. Xenoblade is the reigning champion if you ask me, though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pope on fire posted:

FF7 has not aged well at all, outside of Midgar, which remains timeless to me.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I played FF7 again not too long ago all the way through and maxed out quite a bit of materia. It wasn't just as awesome as it used to be but I still found it to be very fun and it kept me engaged.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF7 is playable these days, the main problem is goddrat is it ugly.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

FFT is timeless and never ceases to be an awesome ride on subsequent playthroughs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My problem with FF7, and to be fair this is true of most JRPGs from that era, is that it is slow as hell. Games from the PS2 era and later either have lengthy voiced and directed cutscenes, or are fast as hell. FF7 has the lengthy cutscenes part without the fast as hell part, although it is better about this than FF8. The gameplay is fine it's just so slow. So very very slow.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI are very quick RPGs, and can be completed in around 20 hours. The same goes for Mother 3 and The World Ends With You. I don't know why RPGs have become such a race to create the longest game, since the shorter ones are the most fun and memorable for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI are very quick RPGs, and can be completed in around 20 hours. The same goes for Mother 3 and The World Ends With You. I don't know why RPGs have become such a race to create the longest game, since the shorter ones are the most fun and memorable for me.

Because you have people going "This game is only 20 hours long? I guess I'll wait until it's $10." For no clear reason one of the primary judging mechanics people have to a game's worth is how many hours it takes to finish.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd attribute at least part of that to the hype machine that triple A games have turned into. If you spend a year and a half hearing about how awesome a game is going to be, and then you can see everything it has in a couple of afternoons, it's understandable to be disappointed.

That said I can think of thousands of RPGs that would be better if you shaved off 5-10 hours from the middle.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I wouldn't say no clear reason. More playtime per dollar = a better value is pretty straightforward. I know people who think $60 for any singleplayer only game is a ripoff. That said I think somewhere along the line the idea of the "40 hour RPG" was so ingrained that it became a goal to shoot for in every game. Often I find that that feels a bit too long and I prefer them to be more around the 30ish hour mark. But then again it really depends on the game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I'd rather pay $4 an hour for a cohesive tight experience than $1 an hour for repetitive grinding and/or nonsensical plot padding.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

I wouldn't say no clear reason. More playtime per dollar = a better value is pretty straightforward. I know people who think $60 for any singleplayer only game is a ripoff. That said I think somewhere along the line the idea of the "40 hour RPG" was so ingrained that it became a goal to shoot for in every game. Often I find that that feels a bit too long and I prefer them to be more around the 30ish hour mark. But then again it really depends on the game.

It isn't though. Anyone who thinks that has no actual ability to analyze value. If it was than Disgaea would be the most worthwhile game of all time because it is like $50 for 400 hours of stuff. It also tends to ignore things like harder difficulty modes or New Game +s that actually change the game.

People don't get disappointed when they wait 4 years for a book and finish it in a night or a two years for a movie and finish it in a single 2 hour viewing. This sort of thing is exclusive to games and it's kind of insane. You can't even argue "it's a $60 price tag" because $60 for 8 hours (let alone 20-40) is a better hours-to-dollars value than $20 for 2 you get from a movie but you sure as gently caress didn't get a bunch of people screaming about how the Avengers was too short and they wasted their money.

It's certainly a problem if it is 8 hours of bad content or if you've got an 8 hour game that resorts to padding, but simply looking at the hour counter and going "this game was worth (x) dollars because it was (x) hours long" makes no sense.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 14, 2013

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't though. Anyone who thinks that has no actual ability to analyze value. If it was than Disgaea would be the most worthwhile game of all time because it is like $50 for 400 hours of stuff. It also tends to ignore things like harder difficulty modes or New Game +s that actually change the game.

People don't get disappointed when they wait 4 years for a book and finish it in a night or a two years for a movie and finish it in a single 2 hour viewing. This sort of thing is exclusive to games and it's kind of insane. You can't even argue "it's a $60 price tag" because $60 for 8 hours (let alone 20-40) is a better hours-to-dollars value than $20 for 2 you get from a movie but you sure as gently caress didn't get a bunch of people screaming about how the Avengers was too short and they wasted their money.

This type of thing is definitely not exclusive to games. Why do you think the length of movies is getting progressively longer and literally everything is a trilogy. As far as analyzing value, well that's pretty subjective. If you love grinding in SRPGs, then yeah Disgaea is a pretty drat good value isn't it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

This type of thing is definitely not exclusive to games. Why do you think the length of movies is getting progressively longer and literally everything is a trilogy. As far as analyzing value, well that's pretty subjective. If you love grinding in SRPGs, then yeah Disgaea is a pretty drat good value isn't it?

Movies are not being made longer because people complain about them being too short. It's a side effect of bandwagon-following (LotR is to blame for this) and studios doing poorer jobs at editing. In fact one of the common complaints you'll see both from critics and from filmgoers is that movies are too long and could have cut scenes out. I wish I could find it because there was a really interesting article on this recently. The movie length is actually being criticized because it means fewer showings in a theater, makes it harder for people to budget time and often impacts the quality of the movie.

Likewise the trilogy thing has nothing to do with length. It's the fact that they can monetize a product more times. A single film sells once. A trilogy sells three times. You saw this especially with The Hobbit where it was supposed to be a two-film thing and got 'upgraded' to a trilogy which ended up murdering the pacing of the first film. This is the same reason that games are going to trilogy format: It allows you to sell more for less budget.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 14, 2013

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just recently started playing FFVII for the first time a week or two ago. The opening chunk was a bit long, but I thought it was fun, but the best part of the game by far was the Shinra Building, which I just finished. The verticality exploration stuff was neat, the boss fights were and that out-of-left-field minigame bike fighting was a neat, odd twist. And I guess now I reached the world map, which means things are going to start opening up.

It's definitely an old looking game, and the dialogue is extremely simplistic and has some weird translation hiccups (there's misspellings from time to time) but I can already see why so many people went nuts for this game when it came out. I bet the elevator fight sequence would have blown my mind if I saw it 16 years ago (it was still cool now). Also that climbing the stairs bit was genius and another bit of the odd touches that I like a lot about this game.

I hope that I never have to grind for anything plot wise in this game, because that will just kill all the good-will that's built up in the first 5 hours-ish that I've seen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Great Lakes Log posted:

I just recently started playing FFVII for the first time a week or two ago. The opening chunk was a bit long, but I thought it was fun, but the best part of the game by far was the Shinra Building, which I just finished. The verticality exploration stuff was neat, the boss fights were and that out-of-left-field minigame bike fighting was a neat, odd twist. And I guess now I reached the world map, which means things are going to start opening up.

It's definitely an old looking game, and the dialogue is extremely simplistic and has some weird translation hiccups (there's misspellings from time to time) but I can already see why so many people went nuts for this game when it came out. I bet the elevator fight sequence would have blown my mind if I saw it 16 years ago (it was still cool now). Also that climbing the stairs bit was genius and another bit of the odd touches that I like a lot about this game.

I hope that I never have to grind for anything plot wise in this game, because that will just kill all the good-will that's built up in the first 5 hours-ish that I've seen.

You don't have to grind ever, its a really easy game. The main thing people complain about is one you're going to encounter in the very first town after Midgard, Kalm.

That and while story features lots of really interesting touches to make its narrative tricks work the weak translation really hurt it and many people miss out on what actually is happening in the story and what those narrative tricks mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Great Lakes Log posted:

You won't. If you have any trouble just try mixing your materia up a bit.

One thing to keep in mind: The Magic Defense stat in FFVII is broken. Armor's MDef doesn't work at all. So take that into account if things seem to be hitting hard. It's not a matter of being underleveled, it's just a problem with the game, but it's easy enough you shouldn't need to grind past it. I *think* they may have fixed this in the PC re-release so if you're playing that then you should be fine.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm playing the PSN one, and thanks for the tips, I'll keep those in mind.

The materia stuff is an interesting system, it's a cool way of basically being able to level up a lot of characters without having to use them individually. I know that screwed me in FFVI, when in the last level I had to use all these characters who were just useless since I never bothered to train them.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

In the 40 hours it took me to beat Final Fantasy VII, I had done so much more than in 40 hours of Final Fantasy XIII. VII is just so densely packed with distinct NPCs, hidden areas, minigames and gameplay mechanics, that it completely overshadows the corridors and cutscenes of XIII.

XIII-2 took me 20 hours to finish, but I had to stop halfway through due to one of the critical items being nearly impossible to find without a guide. By that point I was just dying for it to be over.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ImpAtom posted:

One thing to keep in mind: The Magic Defense stat in FFVII is broken. Armor's MDef doesn't work at all. So take that into account if things seem to be hitting hard. It's not a matter of being underleveled, it's just a problem with the game, but it's easy enough you shouldn't need to grind past it. I *think* they may have fixed this in the PC re-release so if you're playing that then you should be fine.

Man they really sucked at programming magic for quite a while.

FF1 and 2: Several spells just plain don't work or even do the opposite of what they're supposed to
FF3: Reflect doesn't work
FF5: Vampiring yourself sets your HP to full
FF6: physical evade does nothing, magic evade is used for both
Mystic Quest: Life instakills any non-undead enemy
FF7: Magic Defense on armor does nothing

I think in the JP version of FF8 a glitch let you junction the same magic to multiple stats.

edit: oh and let's not forget abusing Regen by opening the disc tray in 7

Dross fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 14, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, that opening the tray one is pretty hard to account for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dross posted:

Man they really sucked at programming magic for quite a while.

FF1 and 2: Several spells just plain don't work or even do the opposite of what they're supposed to
FF3: Reflect doesn't work
FF5: Vampiring yourself sets your HP to full
FF6: physical evade does nothing, magic evade is used for both
Mystic Quest: Life instakills any non-undead enemy
FF7: Magic Defense on armor does nothing

I think in the JP version of FF8 a glitch let you junction the same magic to multiple stats.

edit: oh and let's not forget abusing Regen by opening the disc tray in 7

A lot of the games have little bugs like that. Iai Slash in 9 has an overly-accurate hit rating because it's accidentally using Thunder Slash's somehow, which makes Thunder Slash basically worthless.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I never understood the people who call FF7 ugly. Yes, it's blocky and stuff, but it looks no worse than a lot of games of the same era. And it does some really beautiful things. There are some sequences that I still find pretty breath-taking. The way it uses color is still nice and the world is so atmospheric. And I only played it for the first time a couple years ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unmature posted:

I never understood the people who call FF7 ugly. Yes, it's blocky and stuff, but it looks no worse than a lot of games of the same era. And it does some really beautiful things. There are some sequences that I still find pretty breath-taking. The way it uses color is still nice and the world is so atmospheric. And I only played it for the first time a couple years ago.
It's less the blockiness of the models and more the way the backgrounds blend together and are hard to navigate and the way the models sort of jarringly contrast against them. There are some screens in that game that are impossible to navigate.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Early 3D was the ugliest era in video gaming in general. But there's certainly tons of love and details in the prerendered backgrounds.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Explain that vamp glitch in ff5 please? Not aware of that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of the games have little bugs like that. Iai Slash in 9 has an overly-accurate hit rating because it's accidentally using Thunder Slash's somehow, which makes Thunder Slash basically worthless.
Well I mean it was supposed to be a %damage attack, that's pretty worthless anyway in a game where the highest HP total is about 65,000.

I also like how its hit rate makes it inexplicably work on a super small handful of enemies.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Kanfy posted:

Early 3D was the ugliest era in video gaming in general. But there's certainly tons of love and details in the prerendered backgrounds.

Definitely. You kind of just have to look past the characters and soak in the backgrounds.

That loving Sned posted:

XIII-2 took me 20 hours to finish, but I had to stop halfway through due to one of the critical items being nearly impossible to find without a guide. By that point I was just dying for it to be over.

One of the things I really liked about FFXIII-2 was how you could do everything in it in a reasonable amount of time without it feeling really short. Even maxing out the Crystarium didn't take any grinding or anything outside of side quests. Of course, then you have the problem of making strong enough monsters to use for the optional bosses/coliseum stuff which took a decent chunk of grinding.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Agreed. Prerendered takes a lot of poo poo (I blame Donkey Kong Country) but there were some very pretty prerendered environments back in the day.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
FFVII is my favorite of the bunch, but I'm happy to admit it's ugly. Not even by today's standards, Chrono Trigger and FFVIII managed realistic proportions just fine in that era. Instead with VII we got Lego Popeye models.

I will stand up for the prerendered backgrounds though, they still look great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The backgrounds look great on their own, but they're implemented terribly into the game. Iunno, maybe it's because I was trying to play it on a huge-rear end TV, but I spent like fifteen minutes on one of the screens in the ice mountain area trying to figure out where the gently caress was where. Even the little arrow things didn't help much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That climbing section after one of the plates in Midgar collapse was pretty awful. There was no real difference between what I could walk on and what was background debris.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really think the PS1 era is like the prime era for remake-farming. It's a shame most of the stuff is too unpopular because there are a lot of ugly but great PS1 games that would be wonderful as actual rear end-put-into-it remakes.

Gimme a shinier version of Bushido Blade that isn't Deadliest Warrior. :allears:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Quick question: What's the best version of FFV to play these days?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I really think the PS1 era is like the prime era for remake-farming. It's a shame most of the stuff is too unpopular because there are a lot of ugly but great PS1 games that would be wonderful as actual rear end-put-into-it remakes.

Gimme a shinier version of Bushido Blade that isn't Deadliest Warrior. :allears:

If you're talkin' RPGs then I think you need a PSP, sir. That thing is lousy with classic PS1 remakes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Well I mean it was supposed to be a %damage attack, that's pretty worthless anyway in a game where the highest HP total is about 65,000.

I also like how its hit rate makes it inexplicably work on a super small handful of enemies.

I think how it's supposed to work is that Thunder Slash is supposed to be a 190% damage attack. But since it's glitched, it does 19% of the enemy's HP, and has 0% accuracy since it was supposed to be a weapon-based skill, and those use the weapon's hit rate. Which would have actually been pretty nice, since IIRC Stiener's only other single-target moves are Darkside and Shock, which takes 40 MP. At least that's what I've heard from people who hack the game or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The Machine posted:

Quick question: What's the best version of FFV to play these days?

General consensus is either the GBA version or the iOS version.