Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

zenintrude posted:

It looks more like cracking paint to me.

Yeah, it looks like a worn out postcard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think the filter really works for this one, it reminds me of an old war-time propaganda poster.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I really like that Catching Fire poster. It reminds me of great paperback adventure stories I read in middle school...which is appropriate I guess.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The logo sticks too much for my liking, the weird burning CGI metal icon and modern font really doesn't go well with the style the poster's going for. They shoulda reduced it down to a 2D design or maybe taken a photograph out of a metal copy of the logo to go with the slightly old-fashioned style. It's nice though, it isn't really crowded like a lot of posters seem to be.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Doesn't look much like Jennifer Lawrence.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

zenintrude posted:

Mockingjay.

Well excuse me princess.

I don't even watch Twilight :smug:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It's too bad it's a Lionsgate film because she looks to be standing on Paramount Pictures.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Ez posted:

Wow, that's really nice. I like the somewhat subtle eagle in the clouds.

I missed that, I think it's more giving her wings unless the bird's got it's head up her rear end?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

aga. posted:

I missed that, I think it's more giving her wings unless the bird's got it's head up her rear end?

Or it's behind her.

But I think it's probably a little bit of both.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I have been very happy with the marketing for The Hunger Games and I am not really a fan.

Catching Fire was the same movie that had teaser posters styled to look like fascist propaganda, right?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

The worst part of that poster is her feet appear to be sunken into the top of the mountain. She is sprouting out of it, instead of on top of it. The arrow in her hand looks tacked on, as do the shawl and quivver.

I do like the colors, the clouds are nice, and overall it isn't horrible to look at but it isn't something I'd ever want on a wall.

I made this to amuse myself, click for Jaeger-Size!

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Barometer posted:

The worst part of that poster is her feet appear to be sunken into the top of the mountain. She is sprouting out of it, instead of on top of it. The arrow in her hand looks tacked on, as do the shawl and quivver.

I do like the colors, the clouds are nice, and overall it isn't horrible to look at but it isn't something I'd ever want on a wall.

I made this to amuse myself, click for Jaeger-Size!

I hated the first movie and so did my girlfriend but now that she read the books and (book is better yadda yadda) is all excited I'm stuck with the next movies. This poster is loving fantastic though. I would have that on my wall the day it comes out. Looks like a classic adventure paperback cover. I do agree the logo should have just been a 2D no fire version of the mockingjay, or just have it the title, since the fans who are into that series already know what it is. And most people know Jennifer Lawrence is (for being a total boss) from this franchise or Silver Lining Playbook and would go see regardless.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Clearly I should've been involved in their production design.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Red Bones posted:

Looks pretty crummy to me. My favourite bit is probably how the brown filter has even turned the blue sky behind the actor's heads into a kinda washed out grey-brown. Its so bland, goddamn. It baffles me that we have an overcrowded design industry and we still get stuff like this.

That wasn't the movie he was talking about I'm pretty sure :ssh:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I love how everyone has used the Cherno's head in those Pacific Rim posters.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Young Freud posted:

I love how everyone has used the Cherno's head in those Pacific Rim posters.

Makes sense, it's the only one of them that's actually well designed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I used a different head, the Striker Eureka one, but I didn't post it because I wasn't cracking a joke. I just made a giant mecha based on my City of Heroes character.

I think the thing with Cherno is that it's the only one where the head is the central focus of the design.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bad joke incoming.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I still can't see any advertising for Lone Ranger without thinking "Jesus Johnny, that's a little racist."

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

cptn_dr posted:

I still can't see any advertising for Lone Ranger without thinking "Jesus Johnny, that's a little racist."

Wait, how is it racist?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Wait, how is it racist?

Johnny Depp dressing up as a Native American caricature, which are a people that white Americans committed utter genocide against, is pretty drat racist.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh? Didn't all Native Americans have birds in their hair?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not that it makes it any better but it is obvious by the teaser that he's mimicking the speech patterns of the old Lone Ranger TV show which also seems pretty racist.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jefferoo posted:

Johnny Depp dressing up as a Native American caricature, which are a people that white Americans committed utter genocide against, is pretty drat racist.

It's also The Lone Ranger, not The Culturally Sensitive Ranger.

Also, Depp has stated he's got some native american blood in him.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
No, dude, it's totally cool - I'm a 1/64th Cherokee.

I'm pretty sure getting a white man to play a Native American stereotype on the grounds that "he's got some Indian blood in him" is pretty racist.

Wubbles fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 15, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Also, Depp has stated he's got some native american blood in him.

I thought about that too.

I don't know, it's movies. It annoys me when white people get cast as everything but I don't consider it racist. Just boring.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vegetable posted:

Doesn't look much like Jennifer Lawrence.

It does however look like a bad wax statue of her.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I thought about that too.

I don't know, it's movies. It annoys me when white people get cast as everything but I don't consider it racist. Just boring.

OK let's say there was a movie with a black character and instead of hiring a black actor to play the character they they just got Johnny Depp and put brown paint on his face and he spoke only in ebonics, you wouldn't see the problem with that?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

CPL593H posted:

OK let's say there was a movie with a black character and instead of hiring a black actor to play the character they they just got Johnny Depp and put brown paint on his face and he spoke only in ebonics, you wouldn't see the problem with that?

Can I buy advance tickets for this?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Codependent Poster posted:

Bad joke incoming.

The 'Hungary' joke is what got me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CPL593H posted:

So it was like Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder?

It didn't bother me when Will Smith played Jim West in Wild, Wild, West. It might have been the only thing not wrong with the movie (aside from Selma Hayek in nice dresses). It didn't bother me when Idris Elba played Heimdall in Thor, who in Norse mythology was never portrayed as black. I really wanted Donald Glover to win the role of Peter Parker in the Amazing Spider-Man because it would have felt refreshing. As I said, it's movies. It sucks when white people get pretty much every role and when scripts are written specifically for white people to play in them. A lot of times that is due to racial preference (which is wrong) but it's also sometimes simply what was written. That said, if a character is meant to be Aboriginal that doesn't mean you have to have an Aboriginal actor. I mean, do you really want Adam Beach playing Tonto?

So the design of Tonto is stupid. It's stupid and goes overboard but don't consider it racist. I consider it stupid for a stupid Disney movie. The point about brown paint on his face really doesn't fit here. Especially since Disney showed the movie to Navajo Aboriginals and they didn't tell Disney to stick it.

Casting Depp is boring and regardless of whether he has Cherokee in him or not, it's simply a dull Hollywood decision. I don't consider it inherently racist. Because not everything is racist. Sometimes it's just boring.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
right thread, actually

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Casting Depp is boring and regardless of whether he has Cherokee in him or not, it's simply a dull Hollywood decision. I don't consider it inherently racist. Because not everything is racist. Sometimes it's just boring.

The single problem of this character is that it perpetuates a racial stereotype. Tonto, portrayed in this way, does nothing but seem to legitimize already well-entrenched presumptions. That is racist.

Wubbles fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 15, 2013

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Non-white roles are so scarce in most films that when they do arise, picking a white actor or actress for it is loving stupid because they (non-white people) don't/can't get 90% of roles that are out there anyway. It's absolutely racist, and laziness does not excuse it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is it racist if casting Johnny Depp ensures that they'll make 100 million more than if they casted anyone else?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It didn't bother me when Will Smith played Jim West in Wild, Wild, West. It might have been the only thing not wrong with the movie (aside from Selma Hayek in nice dresses). It didn't bother me when Idris Elba played Heimdall in Thor, who in Norse mythology was never portrayed as black. I really wanted Donald Glover to win the role of Peter Parker in the Amazing Spider-Man because it would have felt refreshing. As I said, it's movies.

None of these bother me, but oddly, (Star Trek Into Darkness spoiler) Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan after Ricardo Montalbán does bother me. I suppose because ostensibly due to the premise of how the new films relate to the old he's a recast of the same Khan Montalbán played rather than a reboot.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

None of these bother me, but oddly, (Star Trek Into Darkness spoiler) Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan after Ricardo Montalbán does bother me. I suppose because ostensibly due to the premise of how the new films relate to the old he's a recast of the same Khan Montalbán played rather than a reboot.

Yeah but do you really think Ricardo Montalban was the right ethnicity to play a character named Khan Noonien Singh? As far as I'm concerned getting it equally as wrong evens it out.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

We are also talking about a franchise that has featured the Klingons, with their negligible medical science, surgically altering their appearance to infiltrate the Federation, and vice versa. Khan having his appearance changed at the behest of Marcus as part of his cover to hide his true identity is not much of a stretch.

Slightly different Man of Steel poster.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

quote:

So it was like Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder?

There was a thematic reasoning for this that fit within the themes of the film. It was nothing but lampooning RDJ's character and how wrong these sort of practices are.

quote:

It didn't bother me when Will Smith played Jim West in Wild, Wild, West. It might have been the only thing not wrong with the movie (aside from Selma Hayek in nice dresses). It didn't bother me when Idris Elba played Heimdall in Thor, who in Norse mythology was never portrayed as black. I really wanted Donald Glover to win the role of Peter Parker in the Amazing Spider-Man because it would have felt refreshing. As I said, it's movies. It sucks when white people get pretty much every role and when scripts are written specifically for white people to play in them. A lot of times that is due to racial preference (which is wrong) but it's also sometimes simply what was written. That said, if a character is meant to be Aboriginal that doesn't mean you have to have an Aboriginal actor. I mean, do you really want Adam Beach playing Tonto?

Sadly we do not live in a post-racist society, and as a matter of fact, the vast majority of heroes and popular actors in Hollywood are white. Casting non-white actors in typically white roles isn't racist, it doesn't have any negative effect on society considering how little minority actors are cast in roles, and many roles are whitewashed and given to white actors on a regular basis.

Patrick Stewart once wanted to play Othello in a stage production. So he did, and completely reversed the racial lines of the play, opening up a great deal of roles typically reserved for white actors, and cast them with non-white actors. This was in 1997, and the review here is worth reading: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-11-19/features/1997323051_1_othello-iago-patrick-stewart

For Into Darkness, while not perfect, they changed the story around enough to make Cumberbatch's Khan represent something that makes his casting work thematically, that it arguably would have been more problematic to cast a non-white actor. Khan is a fascist, warmongering foil to Kirk's bravado and thirst for exploration, and is ultimately defeated by Spock and Uhura.

Tonto is a racist caricature of Native Americans and Johnny Depp continues to portray him as such going off the trailers. Boiling hundreds of years of violence and oppression down to a tidbit, let me put it like this - it's my ancestors raping and killing and pillaging your ancestors for all their land, forcing your ancestors to live off of reservations where you live in utter poverty and generations and generations afterwards suffer greatly for it. My ancestors are so inhumanely evil, as a matter of fact, to distribute blankets riddled with smallpox amongst your ancestors in an attempt to kill your whole race off with greater ease.

Then, some great time later, I, still reaping the benefits of my ancestor's atrocities, make a piece of comedic entertainment where you, still living in abject poverty, are portrayed as a cartoonish caricature for my people to laugh and make fun of. Played by a popular white actor known for "wacky" and "cooky" characters. Oh, and just for fun, models will take the sacred religious items of your culture and wear them to be "exotic." The patterns of your culture will be taken without your permission and used and sold in fashion for my profit. You still live in abject poverty, by the way.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 15, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jefferoo posted:

Tonto is a racist caricature of Native Americans and Johnny Depp continues to portray him as such going off the trailers. Boiling hundreds of years of violence and oppression down to a tidbit, let me put it like this - it's my ancestors raping and killing and pillaging your ancestors for all their land, forcing your ancestors to live off of reservations where you live in utter poverty and generations and generations afterwards suffer greatly for it. My ancestors are so inhumanely evil, as a matter of fact, to distribute blankets riddled with smallpox amongst your ancestors in an attempt to kill your whole race off with greater ease.

Then, some great time later, I, still reaping the benefits of my ancestor's atrocities, make a piece of comedic entertainment where you, still living in abject poverty, are portrayed as a cartoonish caricature for my people to laugh and make fun of. Played by a popular white actor known for "wacky" and "cooky" characters. Oh, and just for fun, models will take the sacred religious items of your culture and wear them to be "exotic." The patterns of your culture will be taken without your permission and used and sold in fashion for my profit. You still live in abject poverty, by the way.

I understand this. Here in :canada:, Canadians still openly resent and insult Aboriginals because they think getting tax exemption on a few things means you're lording over them.

We also only know the movie based on the trailers. Disney went to a great deal of work showing the film to Cherokee tribes and ensuring they approved it as NOT RACIST.

Maybe you might feel they are just beaten down to the point where they don't care. That's quite possible. But it's also possible we just got a slice of the movie and it ends up being a respectable performance. Similar to how people are fine with Into Darkness after watching it.

If he just plays it like a minstrel show, your point is valid.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Can I buy advance tickets for this?

Only if they let James Holmes out of prison for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If he just plays it like a minstrel show, your point is valid.

No, if he plays it not like a minstrel show, it's even more valid. Because then it's even more insulting they didn't cast a non-white actor, and somehow could only trust an established white actor with it.