Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

The other two weren't smugly attacked directly either. I was defensive because you were being offensive in your personal assumption of me and what I do or don't know. I'm glad you were feature on some blog, thats cool, but I agree with them that the copy on that page is laughable and detracts from the work.

So what you are saying is that you cant ignore words and look at pretty pictures? I feel bad for you son :snoop:

Scot Sothern- http://www.scotsothern.com/ (NWS)

Im really diggin on this NWS http://www.scotsothern.com/p/lowlife-photographs-and-literary.html Gettin that book.

You can also check his VICE column here: http://www.vice.com/columns/nocturnal-submissions NOT WORK SAFE (you have been warned 3times)

Musket fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bottom Liner, can I read a statement about your art? I'd like to hear something written by someone free of pretention.

Ed Ruscha.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

dukeku posted:

Bottom Liner, can I read a statement about your art? I'd like to hear something written by someone free of pretention.

Ed Ruscha.

These own.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

dukeku posted:

Ed Ruscha.

Please, fix the horizon in a few of them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I could never make it as an artist, because my blurbs would be all "uh, I was walking around and I had a camera with me. I saw this cool thing so I took a picture of it. Then I pushed some sliders around in lightroom until it looked awesome and finally I uploaded it."

Only the biggest badasses wear sunglasses in space.

Someone needs to donate a portfolio website to NASA, navigating those pictures is excruciating.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dukeku posted:

Ed Ruscha.

Ruscha, king of lists.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

xzzy posted:

Only the biggest badasses wear sunglasses in space.

Mr. Despair posted:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/AS17-162-24038HR.jpg

That's the biggest bad rear end of all: Maverick

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Every Building on the Sunset Strip is awesome. I bet he does a lot of fine art and show in galleries and festivals in between paid jobs.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

I could never make it as an artist, because my blurbs would be all "uh, I was walking around and I had a camera with me. I saw this cool thing so I took a picture of it. Then I pushed some sliders around in lightroom until it looked awesome and finally I uploaded it."

Start small. Write a few sentences about the thought process that led you to make a particular photo. Spending some time thinking about your work can only improve it.

EDIT: I need to delete entire sentences not try to rewrite them in place when I post.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 14, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

8th-samurai posted:

Spending a time thinking about you work can only improve it.

Quoting for truth.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

At the same time if you can't explain it in language your mom can understand then you probably don't understand it well enough.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spime Wrangler posted:

At the same time if you can't explain it in language your mom can understand then you probably don't understand it well enough.

Sorry your mom isn't as literate as our moms bro. :snoop:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dukeku posted:

Bottom Liner, can I read a statement about your art?

Absolutely, I don't have PM but you can email me at davidchildersphoto@gmail.com. Do we have a thread for anything like that? Talking about our work and getting feedback? Not like the portrait thread, or PAD, but ongoing series, "fine art", what have you.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-samurai posted:

Sorry your mom isn't as literate as our moms bro. :snoop:

Your post, exudes art. I want to plug my wang into the source brah. I wanna be in you.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

dukeku posted:

Is that a requirement now? Before criticism, submit own work to be vetted by the esteemed scholars of dorkroom.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I wonder what Rembrandt's artist statement was.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

wikipedia posted:

In a letter to Huygens, Rembrandt offered the only surviving explanation of what he sought to achieve through his art: the greatest and most natural movement, translated from de meeste en de natuurlijkste beweegelijkheid. The word "beweechgelickhijt" is also argued to mean "emotion" or "motive." Whether this refers to objectives, material or otherwise is open to interpretation; either way, critics have drawn particular attention to the way Rembrandt seamlessly melded the earthly and spiritual.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Man, that's pretentious as gently caress.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

casa de mi padre posted:

I wonder what Rembrandt's artist statement was.

"Because of the great zeal and devotion which I experienced in executing well the two pictures which His Highness commissioned me to make — the one being Christ's dead body being laid in the tomb, and the other Christ arising from the dead to the consternation of the guards — these same two pictures are now finished through studious application, so that I am now disposed to deliver the same and so to afford to His Highness. For in these two paintings the greatest and most natural movement has been expressed, which is also the main reason why they have taken so long to execute."

Or:

"Try to put well in practice what you already know; and in so doing, you will in good time, discover the hidden things which you now inquire about. Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know."

It could have been this too:

"A painting is finished when the artist says it is finished."

Pick one :snoop:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

"Because of the great zeal and devotion which I experienced in executing well the two pictures which His Highness commissioned me to make — the one being Christ's dead body being laid in the tomb, and the other Christ arising from the dead to the consternation of the guards — these same two pictures are now finished through studious application, so that I am now disposed to deliver the same and so to afford to His Highness. For in these two paintings the greatest and most natural movement has been expressed, which is also the main reason why they have taken so long to execute."

Or:

"Try to put well in practice what you already know; and in so doing, you will in good time, discover the hidden things which you now inquire about. Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know."

It could have been this too:

"A painting is finished when the artist says it is finished."

Pick one :snoop:

gently caress bitches, smoke trees, paint shadows.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-samurai posted:

gently caress bitches, smoke trees, paint shadows.

Oscar Santos

http://cartoonandcereal.blogspot.com/

Ohhh shi.. nws.

Musket fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 15, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

East Lake posted:

Is that a requirement now? Before criticism, submit own work to be vetted by the esteemed scholars of dorkroom.

Hey I know it's cool to get mad about art and stuff but could this thread in general just not do that so I don't have to go edit the rules thread to add a 9(b) about getting angry about the concept of art?

All art is poo poo, burn your cameras, hail satan, etc, but seriously calm down.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
If you're in or around NYC get over to the Met and check out the Eggleston exhibit they've got showing. It's mainly from the Guide book, with dye-transfer prints of all the well known shots.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Love the tonality and texture going on here in this set of BW shots of Thai tattooing...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2013/05/17/cedric_arnold_sacred_ink_examines_the_tradition_of_yantra_tattoos_of_southeast.html

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

http://www.robstephenson.com/photos/rockaway/

These are pretty great

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Henry Peach Robinson

Clifford Coffin

That first picture by Robinson is on display at the print room in the V&A in London. It's a composite of 4 different negatives.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

fuckin' hdr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Awesome words:

quote:

The best documentary work is as complex as its subject matter, does not attempt to fully resolve itself, and forces the viewer to interpret the work and engage with the subject matter independently. Filmmakers Dziga Vertov and Werner Herzog come to mind. Why no still photographers? Because the best still photographers have fled from any association with “documentary” as the field has become increasingly parochial, stiff and old-fashioned. Still photographers are the most conservative and least ambitious of visual artists because they are tethered to the photojournalistic tradition and to the general public’s misunderstanding of the medium as a tool of faithful communication. For documentary to be born again, those practicing it and those looking at it must accept that truth cannot be found or created within its bounds, only art.
http://www.americansuburbx.com/2013/05/asx-interview-gregory-halpern-on-documentary-ethics-2013.html

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

One of my favorite weather photographers, Jennifer Brindley, documenting the widest tornado ever (2.6 miles wide) this last Friday:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

That whole interview is great, thanks for linking it.

The segment on war reporting actually made me think about a report I'd read in VICE the other day - it was the story of the people on the ground, from both perspectives, and an overall diatribe of how badly Afghanistan has failed. Everything from troops surviving on the very opiates people initially sought to destroy, the Taliban moving in directly after troops leave, and swelling disharmony between (the seen as) imperialist coalition forces and the natives, who feel they are losing culture, religion, property and in a nutshell everything, in their "liberation". After watching and reading it all, the one prevailing question I had was - "what the hell is VICE doing covering this?"; and almost immediately realised that actually, war journalism and photojournalism has now become pretty much a cultural commentary, placating us with snapshots that neither outright tell or even slightly hint at the story behind the people.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Do you mean the VICE doc was sort of a narrow window into afghanistan or did you like the doc and thought other journalism/photography wasn't giving the subject its due?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I forgot the wikipedia article I found this from, and the photographer's name :/

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ihmemies posted:

I forgot the wikipedia article I found this from, and the photographer's name :/

Google Images says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Most of the photos in this TIME Life flashback are enjoyable enough:

http://life.time.com/culture/drive-in-theaters-photos-of-a-vanishing-american-pastime/

But Holy Hellfire!

J.R. Eyerman - Charlton Heston as Moses in "The Ten Commandments," drive-in theater, Utah, 1958

Click for the big, it deserves it :)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Hey nerds, Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters is available for instant watch on Netflix and it owns.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
This guy > http://www.flickr.com/photos/51321042@N02/

Peter Hill

Some really amazing digital photography in there. Kinda high tech but really effective

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Sludge Tank posted:

This guy > http://www.flickr.com/photos/51321042@N02/

Peter Hill

Some really amazing digital photography in there. Kinda high tech but really effective

oh god, this rear end in a top hat. Everytime I see him post on 500px, I start crying at how bad I am. I love his work.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
After having a more in depth look, a few of his photos look pretty overcooked on the post processing side of things, but most of it is spot on and just bullshit good.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Eggleston, Shore, and Others use Fuji X-series cameras to make "art". http://www.aperture.org/exhibition/photography/ world goes "idgi".

NWS. Tell your boss I said im sorry for not tagging it.

Musket fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Musket posted:

Eggleston, Shore, and Others use Fuji X-series cameras to make "art". http://www.aperture.org/exhibition/photography/ world goes "idgi".

Caution: boobies ahead.

• Locked thread