Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pryce
May 21, 2011

Or they're just loving with you. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The article announcing the stress test said:

quote:

Everyone that gets an invite into the Stress Test and makes a good faith attempt to log into the game during the test will be guaranteed an invite into a future (much more stable) Closed Beta test as a thank you.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Man how the hell did Aion ever get to 4 million? Aggressive marketing?

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

FutonForensic posted:

Man how the hell did Aion ever get to 4 million? Aggressive marketing?

The release of Aion in China coincided very closely with China effectively banning WoW for a while. That's a fair chunk of it.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
In reference to the discussion regarding vertical versus horizontal PvP progression, I love the fact that everyone in TF2 starts roughly on an even playing field (with a very small handful of sidegrades and melee items mostly being upgrades since you barely actually use them anyway) since all players I come across have a fair shake at killing me if they play well enough, but I still have my fancy hats and various dresses to parade around in. Also you can get special weapons that get progressively spiffier titles the more kills you get with them.

It'd be nice to play an MMO that worked like that, where I could just hop in and whack/blast dudes, not having to worry about a million varying differences in stats and just concentrate on skill.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Coming from a non-WoW/EQ MMO into WoW itself was pretty jarring, actually. The concept of max level characters being functionally identical except for free stats from 1 of 3 skill trees and gear giving +750 hp instead of +500 is pretty retarded. Ragnarok Online 1 pretty much did everything perfectly, as it turns out.

The difference between a level 90 and a level 99 character is like 9 levels of HP/SP depending on class modifiers (about 15% more generally) and enough stat points to pump up your major stats like, literally 1 or 2. Unless you were hitting a bonus, +1 strength is +1 attack which translates to about +1-3 damage. Because nothing is hard level restricted you started "endgame" content basically whenever you felt like it, all you needed were big enough balls.

The bad parts were that stat bonuses are seemingly random (strength is every 10! intelligence is every 5, 6, and 7! vitality is too complicated for you to understand so 1, 9, 30, 54, 72, 84, 97, or as much as possible!) and that everyone pretty much ruins their first character and wastes anywhere from 5-20 hours on it before starting over, and that if you misclick stat points at a high level you are potentially ruining a character that took months to make.

Gear upgrades basically didn't exist for the longest time because more raw stats meant the percentage based bonuses you got from carded weapons were stronger than the endgame weapon drops, and the weapons with the most slots were newbie weapons that dropped off of weak monsters (which were botted) and needed cards from other weak monsters (which were also botted). It still ended up working out really nicely though because the bot farms churned out 0.01% card drops fairly regularly while real, actual players farmed the endgame items that were actually useful instead. You could sell a single Raydric card for enough money to completely kit out 2-3 friends in basic endgame pvp gear (like 12-16 other cards). The valuable endgame content being somewhat difficult to afk farm combined with the players relentlessly persecuting any bots on the good maps meant you never had to see a bot again once you hit like level 70.

At this point in time the only real way to 'progress' your character past max level and decently upgraded equipment was making god items from endgame gvg drops, so most of the population was forced into guild alliance blocs to piss and moan at each other on emperium.org about how X guild leader is lying about castle drops or Y guild is full of botters and should be shunned. It was pretty cool for me, as a player, to be off in my own little corner of noob prontera gvg with the other noobs fighting over the shittiest and worst castles and checking forums immediately after the scheduled GVG and seeing 700 replies about who sucks, who is getting carried by who, etc. The god items being basically impossible to make (25 different 0.01% castle drops that you only get 4-24 chances at each day, nevermind that even getting a castle for your guild with 4 drops a day as a huge accomplishment) combined with the game being relatively popular kept people pretty pumped about Ragnarok Online way longer than they should have been, especially considering its basically a game where you spam potions and like one skill per class. The items themselves were quite frankly ridiculous (+40 strength ring, 120 is the max otherwise), and the best part was they ended up not mattering that much once people finally completed a few because everyone had a list of god item owners on the server and would focus them down with 30+ people.

It was considerably more awesome, IMO, when my lovely noob guild got their poo poo together and took a castle that was actually good from a guild that was also actually good than it was when I played WoW and my guild leader would post the tankspot video for this encounter in his vent comment and then we would dodge a laser or some other stupid gimmick and 1234 the boss for 10 minutes. And then somebody gets a +300 spellpower upgrade so the encounter will only take 9 minutes next time.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I think the WoW style raid/gear progression system is fundamentally flawed and boring and it's unfortunate that because of what WoW became it is some kind of standard that other games should be compared to or attempt to copy. I think, when you introduce a wow like item index where there are 100 "item levels" and, essentially, 100 weapons that are identical, except this one is 6% stronger, you introduce a whole lot of really lovely elements into your game. Considering that wildstar is seemingly a really solid and polished WoW clone, I'm not really expecting them to shake up the basic formula at this point. I'm pretty sure that I will quest to hit max level and have to chain heroics while getting poo poo on in battlegrounds (or equivalents) for like 2-3 weeks before I can have any fun and I'm honestly just kind of okay with that.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!
Let me get this straight. Do you honestly think Ragnarok loot system was perfect?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Reiz posted:

Ragnarok Online 1 pretty much did everything perfectly, as it turns out.

I just wanted to quote this bit because you spent a lot of time in that post describing some really awful, grindy crap. Like having to drop 5-20 hours of effort because WHOOPS you didn't know how the obtuse statting worked. Or you misclicked. And at one point you summed the game up as "basically a game where you spam potions and like one skill per class". I mean, I do think I get where you were going about accessibility and you definitely touched on the WoW/EQ/DekuGUI model's serious flaws but holy crap that game sounds... just horrible the way you described it.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Reiz posted:

blah blah blah tl:dr

Get out.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Watch this http://ht.ly/kZp4E

Wildstar poo poo starts at about 5:30.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

sTickHead posted:

Watch this http://ht.ly/kZp4E

Wildstar poo poo starts at about 5:30.

Is this show trying to be an Attack of the Show? Anyways, nothing too crazy from the video. I do appreciate how straight forward his answers were though. They know they're not going to revolutionize the MMO world but want to create a well made experience for people to enjoy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Thank you for making my own spergy post seem normal by comparison.

I probably was putting words in goon's posts, but I've seen too much :smug: from wow players about how they've lost more players than most MMO ever get, and it annoys the poo poo out of me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reiz posted:

Ragnarok Online 1 pretty much did everything perfectly

Well, if you say so!

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well, if you say so!

I doubt this guy has even played a actual western mmo.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
To get into the stress test you just sign up for beta right?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yes, though you still have to get selected.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

malhavok posted:

To get into the stress test you just sign up for beta right?

Stress test (in this case) is just a euphemism for "We're still in closed beta, but we send out a lot more invites now. Oh, if you put effort into actually logging in, you're in it forever."

Spider2414 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 14, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I tried signing up several times a while back but never got an email confirmation in return. Do they just not send one or are their signups hosed?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Jackard posted:

I tried signing up several times a while back but never got an email confirmation in return. Do they just not send one or are their signups hosed?

I signed up a few minutes ago and they immediately sent a confirmation.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

malhavok posted:

I signed up a few minutes ago and they immediately sent a confirmation.
Tried again and they actually sent something today, thanks.

Zerchi
Oct 28, 2008

Flumbooze posted:

Stress test (in this case) is just a euphemism for "We're still in closed beta, but we send out a lot more invites now. Oh, if you put effort into actually logging in, you're in it forever."

This is misleading. What they actually said was:

"Everyone that gets an invite into the Stress Test and makes a good faith attempt to log into the game during the test will be guaranteed an invite into a future (much more stable) Closed Beta test as a thank you."

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_beta_stress_test.php

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Zerchi posted:

This is misleading. What they actually said was:

"Everyone that gets an invite into the Stress Test and makes a good faith attempt to log into the game during the test will be guaranteed an invite into a future (much more stable) Closed Beta test as a thank you."

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_beta_stress_test.php

Then they changed it then since the last time I read it. They really have to sort out their communication.

Spider2414 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 14, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Welp, Rift is going F2P. That leaves WoW as one of the last major western MMO subscription holdouts, and it's stumbling. It would be very stupid and shortsighted of Wildstar to be a solely sub-based game at this point.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Welp, Rift is going F2P. That leaves WoW as one of the last major western MMO subscription holdouts, and it's stumbling. It would be very stupid and shortsighted of Wildstar to be a solely sub-based game at this point.

Well, I do believe that Final Fantasy XIV might be a subscription model as well, although I do not know how long that will last.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can see them going with subs initially as people are leveling, they're guaranteed to get money for a month or two after the standard free month. They'll probably get a few million players trying out the game too, so that's quite a bit of cash. For the people that won't play because of the sub, they'll eventually roll out F2P a few months down the line and nab those people too.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

i am tim! posted:

Well, I do believe that Final Fantasy XIV might be a subscription model as well, although I do not know how long that will last.

If they're smart they will go with a model similiar to RIFT and keep legacy members happy by still being able to sub to feel superior. But I want to see them allow new subs to gain the same benefits as legacy members just for the tears.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lyer posted:

I can see them going with subs initially as people are leveling, they're guaranteed to get money for a month or two after the standard free month. They'll probably get a few million players trying out the game too, so that's quite a bit of cash. For the people that won't play because of the sub, they'll eventually roll out F2P a few months down the line and nab those people too.

Yeah I can probably see that happening too. If Carbine is smart, they're planning for a conversion to F2P if not starting as that kind of game. Hopefully it comes soon after release.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If RIFT was any indication, the possibility of F2P will be an easy troll during beta.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/episode-20-emphisae.3170/

New Nexus Weekly. I can't really stand listening to these guys talk to each other but i'm sure there's some good info somewhere hidden in there.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Flumbooze posted:

The early communication about the stress test was a good faith attempt to make very clear: The stress test is going to suck. Hard. It will not be about how awesome or not awesome the game is, it'll be about killing the servers as horrifically as possible so we can get that out of the way nice and early.

This isn't the generic hype-the-game Stress Test, this is an actual "Break our poo poo because we need it to break" test. And of course, no matter how much pre-messaging is done to make that clear, people are going to complain and freak out if they're not able to play during a stress test. We're hoping the promise of a full invite as long as they help out will help cull that, but it's going to be rough regardless.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Tyberius posted:

If they're smart they will go with a model similiar to RIFT and keep legacy members happy by still being able to sub to feel superior. But I want to see them allow new subs to gain the same benefits as legacy members just for the tears.

Not only that, but RIFT is doing something else that I love. They are offering "Patron Passes" that let you get the benefits of subscriptions for a set duration of time: 3, 15 or 30 days. This kind of option is something that would definitely make me toss money towards sub games or FTP with sub games, because while I don't often get to play a game enough to make a monthly sub worthwhile, I could definitely see myself picking up one of these passes and using it when I knew I had time to play. It's also great for people who have gotten to a point in their play where they don't want to sign on as much anymore, so they can

With so many more MMOs coming out, game hopping is now inevitable. Offering options that actually encourage people to come back to your game, even if they only want to play for a short while, is a great way to get some $$ out of people who would otherwise give you nothing.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

sTickHead posted:

http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/episode-20-emphisae.3170/

New Nexus Weekly. I can't really stand listening to these guys talk to each other but i'm sure there's some good info somewhere hidden in there.

This is nice to listen to while working actually... Thanks.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

CLAM DOWN posted:

Titan might just make WoW go Free to Play if Titan itself is Free to Play.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well the thing is a lot of F2P games started as P2P and I don't see why most wouldn't. You get a big immediate return on your investment from box sales and the first few months of subs, and then later on when you swap over to F2P you drum up a lot of hype for your game, akin to a second release.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
Trion had the wonderful triple whammy of losing Scott Hartsman a few months back, who was a huge opponent of F2P systems, combined with flagging player counts due to releasing an expansion that was boring as poo poo and only had one new feature worth speaking of (a pretty half-assed housing implementation), and then seeing what I'm guessing is probably a very healthy revenue stream from Defiance's cash shop. Supposedly the first and the last had no impact on their decision, but I believe that about as far as I can pitch the rest of Trion's marketing BS. F2P I'm sure is a very attractive idea to them currently.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

THE PWNER posted:

Well the thing is a lot of F2P games started as P2P and I don't see why most wouldn't. You get a big immediate return on your investment from box sales and the first few months of subs, and then later on when you swap over to F2P you drum up a lot of hype for your game, akin to a second release.

Because it would be a really lovely thing to do, and good will counts for a lot? The money you would get on subs would pale in comparison to to the amount of money a cash shop would bring in, and charging a box fee isn't so far out there that doing a GW2 scheme of b2p + cash shop is shunned at all. You'd be trading customer approval for basically nothing, and if you're really only giving it a few months of subs then you're planning on announcing F2P within the first 2 months or so in order to drum up hype again.

The most interesting part of Rift going free to play is we finally have a game that wasn't failing miserably switching to f2p, and we get to see if f2p is just a way of squeezing money out of dying games or a viable way to run a game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 15, 2013

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Pryce posted:

The early communication about the stress test was a good faith attempt to make very clear: The stress test is going to suck. Hard. It will not be about how awesome or not awesome the game is, it'll be about killing the servers as horrifically as possible so we can get that out of the way nice and early.

This isn't the generic hype-the-game Stress Test, this is an actual "Break our poo poo because we need it to break" test. And of course, no matter how much pre-messaging is done to make that clear, people are going to complain and freak out if they're not able to play during a stress test. We're hoping the promise of a full invite as long as they help out will help cull that, but it's going to be rough regardless.

Yeah, I know, but at first they said you would just get access to the (full) closed beta,so I thought of it that way.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Bauxite posted:

The money you would get on subs would pale in comparison to to the amount of money a cash shop would bring in.

Yeah, after your player base has dwindled to that point... but not after a hyped release where you sell a few hundred thousand boxed copies at once.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah, after your player base has dwindled to that point... but not after a hyped release where you sell a few hundred thousand boxed copies at once.

Have we got proof that an MMO with x amount of players and cash shop makes more money than an MMO with the same amount of players but with a subscription? The only proof we've seen (in profit) is from MMO's that were nearly dead. Except for Rift, now.

That said, I hope Carbine uses something like LOTRO where you can choose to subscribe, to get monthly credit and all that other fancy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Flumbooze posted:

Have we got proof that an MMO with x amount of players and cash shop makes more money than an MMO with the same amount of players but with a subscription? The only proof we've seen (in profit) is from MMO's that were nearly dead. Except for Rift, now.

No and we never will because that is a nonsense scenario. The entire method of f2p is that if you make it free then you get exponentionally more jerks playing than otherwise and so many of those jerks will throw money at you that you ever wonder why you bothered with a sub model at all. If you could get f2p numbers while charging a subscription (like WoW) then there isn't much point in going f2p.

• Locked thread