Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I've never heard of tapping a P90 but I am intrigued, newsletter, etc.

Also since the building thread seems to be dead, I have an Epiphone SG Jr. that I've been fixing up for a while. I'm trying to remove the finish (the polyurethane TV Yellow looks cheap and plastic-y) so I can experiment with re-staining the wood but anyways I went at it with 220-grit sandpaper for about 45 minutes and ended up turning it matte. Not that I mind that look (you can kind of see the grain now!) but I was hoping to strip the finish completely. Anyone know of the best way to remove cheap, thick finishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Declan MacManus posted:

I've never heard of tapping a P90 but I am intrigued
I had one custom wound for an SG bridge position a while back, tapped it for leads and whatnot for a much rawer sound and a bit of built in volume boost.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Have you guys in the Coursera courses been making progress? I just finished finals and haven't had any time to do anything past the first lesson and right now I feel like I just can't be bothered

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

iostream.h posted:

I had one custom wound for an SG bridge position a while back, tapped it for leads and whatnot for a much rawer sound and a bit of built in volume boost.

It sounds like you had it wired the "wrong" way around, then, because tapping it would've made it sound tamer and have a drop in volume :confused:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

It sounds like you had it wired the "wrong" way around, then, because tapping it would've made it sound tamer and have a drop in volume :confused:
Hell I dunno, I told him what I wanted and he made it happen. :)
I pulled the volume pot for that pickup and it made it a little louder and a bit more 'raw' sounding. Apologies if I used the wrong term, I don't get much into the mechanics of these things, I just like making noise.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm not making GBS threads on you, it just sounded a little backwards to me, don't sweat it

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on you, it just sounded a little backwards to me, don't sweat it
Nah man, we're all good. I didn't take it negatively at all and wasn't intending to sound defensive.
My tech laughs at me due to the breadth of knowledge I have on so many random subjects but when it comes to the simplest things about guitar tech I go all 'duh make sound loud, gnarly, you go make good'. :)

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

The CEO of the company I work for just mentioned to me his wife bought him one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...CFcuj4AodflsACA

I think that's a heck of a lot of money to spend on a guitar that's forever associated with someone other than yourself.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

jwh posted:

The CEO of the company I work for just mentioned to me his wife bought him one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...CFcuj4AodflsACA

I think that's a heck of a lot of money to spend on a guitar that's forever associated with someone other than yourself.

drat, I never understand buying "signature" guitars unless the guitars do something really unique (I think Adrian Belew's Parker Fly used to fall in this category). Then again, I don't have $17k to throw around.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Sig guitars can be awesome if it is a new take on an existing design by a working muscian; the Johnny Marr jag is damned smart and it's all he uses now. poo poo like that 17k SRV thing is just dress up bullshit one step removed from Klingon swords.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yeah. A Red Special repro, I could understand. Heck, I could even understand a Setzer Dice Gretch or a Beano LP. You're trying to get a specific holy sound.

But SRV's sound is SRV plus Guitar. And it's more SRV than the Strat he's holding.

... Huh. Actually, I can't think of anyone besides him and Hendrix that is so clearly 'this is the man holding the guitar, whatever he touches sounds like _this_'. (plus pedals)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 15, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

What did they do, exactly, with the Johnny Marr jaguar? I have a '67 jaguar, and while I'll always love it, even I'd be the first to admit it's not exactly versatile or intuitive (tone circuit(s), bridge saddle design, to name a few things).

That said, they seem to sound and play better with 12s or 13s.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

Yeah. A Red Special repro, I could understand. Heck, I could even understand a Setzer Dice Gretch or a Beano LP. You're trying to get a specific holy sound.

But SRV's sound is SRV plus Guitar. And it's more SRV than the Strat he's holding.

... Huh. Actually, I can't think of anyone besides him and Hendrix that is so clearly 'this is the man holding the guitar, whatever he touches sounds like _this_'. (plus pedals)

Jerry Garcia would sound like Jerry Garcia if he played a Jackson through a Randall. A lot of guys are like that, though.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

fookolt posted:

drat, I never understand buying "signature" guitars unless the guitars do something really unique (I think Adrian Belew's Parker Fly used to fall in this category). Then again, I don't have $17k to throw around.

I've owned two. Yamaha TVL and the current Tweedy. Both did something that set them apart.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I've owned two. Yamaha TVL and the current Tweedy. Both did something that set them apart.

The Troy Van Leeuwen is my white whale

Also someone asked about the Johnny Marr Jag; it has an improved tremolo bridge system, bright switches, a short scale, custom Bare Knuckle pickups, and a longer trem bar that isn't free-floating. It's really different from a standard Jag.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

jwh posted:

What did they do, exactly, with the Johnny Marr jaguar? I have a '67 jaguar, and while I'll always love it, even I'd be the first to admit it's not exactly versatile or intuitive (tone circuit(s), bridge saddle design, to name a few things).

That said, they seem to sound and play better with 12s or 13s.

The Johnny Marr Jag is actually pretty interesting. It has a four way blade-switch instead of the on-off toggle switches on the lower bout and the upper bout gets rid of the strangle switch for a switch that controls pickup brightness. The bridge is also a Mustang bridge, but that's a pretty common upgrade.

revolther
May 27, 2008

jwh posted:

gently caress every doctor who puts this hanging in his waiting room. This guitar has no other purchasing audience.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

Also since the building thread seems to be dead, I have an Epiphone SG Jr. that I've been fixing up for a while. I'm trying to remove the finish (the polyurethane TV Yellow looks cheap and plastic-y) so I can experiment with re-staining the wood but anyways I went at it with 220-grit sandpaper for about 45 minutes and ended up turning it matte. Not that I mind that look (you can kind of see the grain now!) but I was hoping to strip the finish completely. Anyone know of the best way to remove cheap, thick finishes?

Hair dryer and a putty knife. A heat gun works too, but it's really easy to scorch the wood.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

jwh posted:

I think it's somewhat passable if you're really into a certain player and they have a really weird custom guitar with a lot of non-standard bullshit. Something like EVH's strat would be something I can see getting the base version. But when a custom guitar is a lot of set dressing and an extra ten grand it's loving stupid (like the distressed and quarter accurate EVH guitar). I think I'm just too used to making lovely guitars play great, but I can never justify paying more than $1,500 on a guitar because I know that with some elbow grease I can make a 900 star play like it's older brother. And after all that work it's my guitar. It seems really dumb and holistic and pretty much voodoo to think like that, but after playing for so long I believe it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Also since the building thread seems to be dead..

Could we start a new one?

My fat hands occasionally knock my Strat's pickup selector out of position when in the neck position. I was thinking of installing one of these rotary knobs where one of the tone pots are and then installing a push push/pull knob to control both original tone leads. Use the 6th position of the rotary knob to select "all on" from the Superstrat wiring.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The most interesting thing about the Marr jag is the that the 4-way switch has a series setting. I bought a series switch plate for my project jag and am waiting for my 4-way switch to show up.

jwh posted:

I have a '67 jaguar

Since you you don't like the bridge I'll trade you for my MIJ with a tune-o-matic. Just do it! DO IT!

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

TopherCStone posted:

Have you guys in the Coursera courses been making progress? I just finished finals and haven't had any time to do anything past the first lesson and right now I feel like I just can't be bothered

I'm a little behind in the intro class, I finished the first assignment and plan to get started on week 2 today. Week 3 was just released but I haven't even looked at it yet.

The improvisation class I'm not at the level where I can even attempt it for credit. I'm going to go over the lessons and stuff, but I doubt I will submit anything. Most of the stuff he is going over I don't even have a basic idea of what it is.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

The Troy Van Leeuwen is my white whale

Whys that?

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
So, uh, is it okay to ask about help with chords? Because I found this one song that I really want to learn, but the chords are pretty complex.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
What kinda help?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PlatinumJukebox posted:

So, uh, is it okay to ask about help with chords? Because I found this one song that I really want to learn, but the chords are pretty complex.

NO

Yes!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PlatinumJukebox posted:

It's a lovefest in here, don't worry. You'll always get input from helpful people.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What kinda help?

Ideally, some sort of method for figuring out chords by ear. I can't really do it, and the chords sound too complex to just use trial-and-error like I usually do. Alternatively, if there is some kinda program that can transpose chords/tab/sheet music from an MP3 source, that'd be neat.

I can't actually find the original song hosted anywhere (YouTube etc)... It's "Ciuri di Campu" by Lautumi. I found an acoustic cover, but I can't really make out what chord shapes are being played. Any tips for figuring out complex chords by ear?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Ideally, some sort of method for figuring out chords by ear. I can't really do it, and the chords sound too complex to just use trial-and-error like I usually do. Alternatively, if there is some kinda program that can transpose chords/tab/sheet music from an MP3 source, that'd be neat.

I can't actually find the original song hosted anywhere (YouTube etc)... It's "Ciuri di Campu" by Lautumi. I found an acoustic cover, but I can't really make out what chord shapes are being played. Any tips for figuring out complex chords by ear?

I have this problem and its slowly getting better just by practicing and playing a wide variety of chords and learning what they are without having to think about it. After a while you have a large chord vocabulary you can use to identify songs by ear. Slow for sure, but it's the only way I've discovered for me.

In other news, I'm planning on trading my 8 string for a Epi Les Paul this week. Good idea?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PlatinumJukebox posted:

It would help to have some understanding of theory and progressions so you can hear the kind of 'role' that each chord is playing, so you understand how it's stepping through and you can make an educated guess what you need to play. Obviously that takes some time!

I don't have my guitar right now, plus I suck, but my basic approach would be this - work out the root note of each chord, the kind of hey note that each starts on. Once you have that sequence, you can start working on a scale for each one - try root, major/minor 3rd and 5th, going up or down, and listen carefully to what she plays. Are your notes matching, or is she putting an inbetween note in there, or going higher? Once you can pick out the actual notes involved, the chord tones, try and relate them to the root note and work out the chord that's being played. Then see if you can finger that easily in a way that gives you all of those notes (don't forget being able to use open strings).

Once you do one or two chords, you'll probably start to notice a pattern in the arpeggios you're playing, and you'll be able to figure out the notes quicker. Same goes for qualities like major or minor - you can even bang out barre chords based on the roots you've found, just to see if major or minor seems to fit, maybe trying variations like a major 7th if they ain't quite right. The song is definitely about specific arpeggios though, so you'll need to find the right chord shape to make it easy to play the picking and fingering patterns necessary. Don't be afraid to look at where her hand is on the neck to get some clues

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Kilometers Davis posted:

In other news, I'm planning on trading my 8 string for a Epi Les Paul this week. Good idea?

Well, it's no Tele, but yeah, it probably is. Get a Tele. Then you will begin to understand.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If it feels right, get it, if it doesn't don't.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Warcabbit posted:

Well, it's no Tele, but yeah, it probably is. Get a Tele. Then you will begin to understand.

I've had a Tele for a few weeks now, it moved into my #1 spot immediately. It's part of the reason why I'm considering a LP. There aren't many tones I want that I can't get outside of that duo.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Got my Zoom G5 today and it's a load of fun just going through all the random presets but I'm kinda lost. I mean what do you do if you suddenly find yourself looking into a box full of 22 amps with matching cabinets and 100 odd effects pedals?

Already recreated some of the custom tones I liked from Rocksmith, checked a few presets and played about with power chords using the looper for a while. Now my head's full of crazy ideas about using the 5.1 mixing techniques I picked up from uni in March.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Yes, you will be able to identify them by ear with enough practice. For now, trying singing the notes of the chord and matching pitch on the guitar neck. Check out the chord ear trainer on musictheory.net and practice it until you can effortlessly identify the major, minor, diminished, dominant, suspended, and augmented chords. Then work on extensions.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Verizian posted:

Got my Zoom G5 today and it's a load of fun just going through all the random presets but I'm kinda lost. I mean what do you do if you suddenly find yourself looking into a box full of 22 amps with matching cabinets and 100 odd effects pedals?

Already recreated some of the custom tones I liked from Rocksmith, checked a few presets and played about with power chords using the looper for a while. Now my head's full of crazy ideas about using the 5.1 mixing techniques I picked up from uni in March.

Sounds like fun! I've been meaning to get a Zoom because my Roland Cube's models don't really do it for me.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Verizian posted:

I mean what do you do if you suddenly find yourself looking into a box full of 22 amps with matching cabinets and 100 odd effects pedals?

Figure out how to put as many tube screamers together in series as I can and then put that after a compressor?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

PlatinumJukebox posted:

All right I've had a quick go at this, and I think 2:40 onwards (the part without singing) will help you a lot. There's a very strong pattern to this - she plays a root note with her thumb, and then there's an arpeggiated bit of chord business on the higher strings. For me it helped to try and listen to them separately, since the root note moves every bar but the higher notes often repeat, or do some kind of variation - so instead of treating it as a series of chords, it might help to work out the root movement being played with the thumb, and then how the shape on the upper strings is changing. Two separate 'parts'.

Try and work out what the thumb's playing on the lower strings, hopefully it's not too hard to hear. Here's what I got:
D F# G A F# B G A - there's a very strong walking-up feel with the F# G A part

Now if you listen to that first note, it sounds very definite, like it's the centre point of that whole section. It kinda 'arrives' if that makes sense. I'd recommend trying a chord you know based on that note, and seeing if playing up and back down the strings of that chord give you anything like what you're hearing.

It's totally an open D major chord, and if you go 4 3 2 1 2 3 on the strings you get the same picking pattern and the same notes she's playing

Once you've played around and found that chord, listen to the high part of the guitar melody as she moves through the thumbed root notes. It's sort of not changing all the time, right? Sometimes they stay the same while the bass note moves around below, other times there's a variation in one or two of the notes, like a sort of mini lead line. Other times there's a pretty major shift, which is a good time to investigate finding a new chord shape instead of sticking with the one that we've obviously left behind.

The opening D major shape works well as a basis for the upper harmony while the root notes walk up through the F# G A part, although you might feel like there needs to be a stronger change on the G note (you work it out!). When we come back to the F# note everything goes minor as hell, which is a good sign that the upper harmony might need to change, and that the root note we're using isn't just a passing note to the next chord - so try an F# minor.

Knowing a bit of theory will help, since you can have a guess at the key we're in (D major) and the chords that key implies, so you can try 'em out. But that's really a starting point because the way the song is played, you're kinda working with fragments and important melodic phrases, so you don't want to be boxed in with specific shapes. They can get you in the region, and then you can say 'ok what's different about the notes I'm getting and what she's getting, and can I hear any clues in the way the melody is moving?' Sometimes it's as simple as shifting a note down a semitone or two.

Obviously I picked the easier part of the song there, but honestly that's a better starting point - easier to listen to and much more conventional in terms of the chords. If you can get that down, try the beginning which I bet will be a lot easier when you have a few of these tricks under your belt. (Like for the first chord: it's open D minor this time, and one of the notes shifts up and back down... try it). This ain't exactly the easiest piece to go with, but it's a good listening exercise and you'll start to pick up the patterns. Really nice song too

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Francostein posted:

Figure out how to put as many tube screamers together in series as I can and then put that after a compressor?

I think Ibanez made a tubescreamer amp pretty recently. I wonder when that'll show up on amp sims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Francostein posted:

I just checked. 7 before you run out of processing power.