Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Shame snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure what thread to drop this in, so I picked this one!

Later this summer, a giant piece of hardware is being moved from New York to Fermilab (in the Chicago suburbs).

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/presspass/press_releases/2013/Muon-g-2-201305.html

As I'm in Chicago, I'll have at least one night to try and get some fun shots of the process. The land route it'll take is this one:

http://goo.gl/maps/IpM5J

I'm just curious if anyone has any interesting ideas to try. The simple idea is to set up on an overpass and shoot it as it goes by. The interchange from I-355 to I-88 might make for a neat scene if I can find a spot. A panorama from the side of the road maybe?

Not quite as impressive a scene as moving a space shuttle through LA, but I take what I can get.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

xzzy posted:

Not sure what thread to drop this in, so I picked this one!

Later this summer, a giant piece of hardware is being moved from New York to Fermilab (in the Chicago suburbs).

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/presspass/press_releases/2013/Muon-g-2-201305.html

As I'm in Chicago, I'll have at least one night to try and get some fun shots of the process. The land route it'll take is this one:

http://goo.gl/maps/IpM5J

I'm just curious if anyone has any interesting ideas to try. The simple idea is to set up on an overpass and shoot it as it goes by. The interchange from I-355 to I-88 might make for a neat scene if I can find a spot. A panorama from the side of the road maybe?

Not quite as impressive a scene as moving a space shuttle through LA, but I take what I can get.

I vote timelapse. However that can be difficult if you still want regular photos and only have one camera.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

rcman50166 posted:

I vote timelapse. However that can be difficult if you still want regular photos and only have one camera.
I agree. One advantage of a timelapse if you do only have one camera is this gives you the excuse you've been looking for to get a basic point-and-shoot. Timelapse demands much lower IQ than regular photography, since you'll be stringing all those images together into a video that really has no need to exceed 1080px on the long edge. Modern P&S have built-in intervalometers, my couple-years-old Pentax Optio WG-1 can do anything from 10 seconds up to 99 minutes between shots. For a few dollars you can have a cheapo tripod with a cheapo P&S on top of an overpass, that won't kill you if it falls off. Meanwhile you shoot panoramas and other cool shots with your "good" camera.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, good idea. I'll have to dust off the 'ol PowerShot and see what I can do with it. I know it can run CHDK which makes time lapses easy.

Wouldn't have thought to do it if you hadn't mentioned it because I'm dumb. :downs:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Anyone plasti dipped a lens yet?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Ringo R posted:

Anyone plasti dipped a lens yet?

I color my lenses every now and then. But I use vinyl sticker to keep resale value up. Auto vinyling places have given the stuff to me before for free just because the amount I was asking for was scrap to them.

Also, I love it when people come into my work (retail photography) and act like they know more than everyone who works there. You 1) wouldn't come here if you knew about photography and hire a real professional and 2) wouldn't come here if you could personally do better. Sit down, shut up, and let me take photos. I literally had a guy come in saying they owned a photography company and that our passports were terrible. I sat him down and talked circles around him.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Who wants to talk about copyright? You want to? Maybe?

Sure, why not: http://membercentral.aaas.org/blogs/driving-force/behind-lens-insect-photographer?page=0,0

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rcman50166 posted:

I sat him down and talked circles around him.

Is that when everyone stood up and clapped?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

I color my lenses every now and then. But I use vinyl sticker to keep resale value up. Auto vinyling places have given the stuff to me before for free just because the amount I was asking for was scrap to them.

Also, I love it when people come into my work (retail photography) and act like they know more than everyone who works there. You 1) wouldn't come here if you knew about photography and hire a real professional and 2) wouldn't come here if you could personally do better. Sit down, shut up, and let me take photos. I literally had a guy come in saying they owned a photography company and that our passports were terrible. I sat him down and talked circles around him.

If you worked at the Picture People/Expressly Portraits and was not lab only, i feel bad for you (i dont). I used to work for them in the late 90s as a locations lab manager/tech. I loved working in the lab, hated when it got super busy and would have to interact with actual people who go to the mall for portraits.

I GOT A COUPON. gently caress those people.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Musket posted:

If you worked at the Picture People/Expressly Portraits and was not lab only, i feel bad for you (i dont). I used to work for them in the late 90s as a locations lab manager/tech. I loved working in the lab, hated when it got super busy and would have to interact with actual people who go to the mall for portraits.

I GOT A COUPON. gently caress those people.

Yea, Picture People. At this point I'm not sure who to dislike more. Picture people is a corporation who is very top heavy to the point where every sale needs to be around $100. They also don't pay employees livable wage. Our studio is in pretty terrible condition to the point where it limits what we can do. We tell corporate to send us new poo poo but they never do.

Then there is the customer end of things. Goddammit pictures shouldn't share anything with the fast food industry. God forbid you have to wait fifteen minutes to get your prints. The only thing that keeps me going is using very expensive lighting and my co workers who are pretty decent human beings.

I could rant for hours about the way that company works. But then I ask myself why I haven't just started my own then. :effort:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

Yea, Picture People. At this point I'm not sure who to dislike more. Picture people is a corporation who is very top heavy to the point where every sale needs to be around $100. They also don't pay employees livable wage. Our studio is in pretty terrible condition to the point where it limits what we can do. We tell corporate to send us new poo poo but they never do.

Then there is the customer end of things. Goddammit pictures shouldn't share anything with the fast food industry. God forbid you have to wait fifteen minutes to get your prints. The only thing that keeps me going is using very expensive lighting and my co workers who are pretty decent human beings.

I could rant for hours about the way that company works. But then I ask myself why I haven't just started my own then. :effort:

Get out. Preferably during the pet costume contest when everyone and their mother wants their FREE 8x10 WITH COUPON but forgets their coupon and rages at you over 8bux.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

found this little bargain in the thrift store today

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

drat, now that's what I call markup.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ahmeni posted:

loving Macklemore ruining thrifting for everyone

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Paragon8 posted:

loving Macklemore ruining thrifting for everyone

they also had another pentax mz-60 with a kit lens for $15 but i'm not falling for that again :colbert:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Isn't that stretching the definition of 'thrift' a little?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

ahmeni posted:

drat. I thought the guy down the street who tried selling me 3 x 500ml bottles of Rodinol for $185 (+ $15 postage) was bad.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Metered f/2.8 Rolleis are pretty expensive though, if that's what it is.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

HPL posted:

Metered f/2.8 Rolleis are pretty expensive though, if that's what it is.

It's not.
It's it's fugly brother - the Rolleiflex T. Which Rollei made to appeal the mass market.
Apparently Vivian Maier used one though, so resale value went through the roof.

Never mind that they are inferior in both operation and construction quality to a humble Tessar equipped Rolleiflex Automat, which can be had for 1/3rd of the Ebay asking price a T-model now brings. They rely on a plastic "belt" system to drive both shutter speed and aperture selectors. If that belt breaks, slips or grows loose - good luck finding a new one.

I will leave the conclusion, as to what that says about most people's ability to chose their gear, to the dear reader.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 15, 2013

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

VomitOnLino posted:

I will leave the conclusion, as to what that says about most people's ability to chose their gear, to the dear reader.

I just buy whatever Ken Rockwell says is the best.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Any stupid/fun presets for LR?

My camera can do a handful of novelty crap and yet mobile phones seem to offer a much wider range of garish crap to play around with.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
For actually making images look good: VSCO 1, VSCO 2

For hipster effects: Totally Rad, VSCO 3 (I used to use these before they were mainstream)

Bought but was not happy with and never processed an image successfully with: Trey Ratcliff

Fake Ken Rockwell fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 15, 2013

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

spog posted:

Any stupid/fun presets for LR?

My camera can do a handful of novelty crap and yet mobile phones seem to offer a much wider range of garish crap to play around with.

If you have Steam for the video games, look at CameraBag2 for cheap and cheerful. Separate app instead of integrated into LR, but for a tenner you can't complain.

Fred Miranda Jr
Jul 10, 2012

I spend endless hours in front of the computer perfecting techniques for the digital format.

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

For actually making images look good: VSCO 1, VSCO 2

For hipster effects: Totally Rad, VSCO 3 (I used to use these before they were mainstream)

Bought but was not happy with and never processed an image successfully with: Trey Ratcliff

I also suggest you check out my Velvia Vision plugin, available on my website.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Flickr has gone bananas. Check it out I guess.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

aliencowboy posted:

Flickr has gone bananas. Check it out I guess.

What the gently caress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess if you define "bananas" as in "refuses to let me log in", then yeah they've gone bananas.

Even tried to tell me I didn't have javascript enabled. :downs:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
weeeeeeeird.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
It looks like someone saw tumblr getting more and more popular.

But hey nobody needs things like "text" and "links" for a photo collection site, right? Let's just put all this poo poo on infinite scroll! If you want to find a particular photo, just keep scrolling! It's somewhere in there!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The photo stream is very 500px-flow-come-google-plus. It's visually more pleasing but does rather kill off the ability to do a quasi-blog post.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

casa de mi padre posted:

It looks like someone saw tumblr getting more and more popular.

But hey nobody needs things like "text" and "links" for a photo collection site, right? Let's just put all this poo poo on infinite scroll! If you want to find a particular photo, just keep scrolling! It's somewhere in there!

Yahoo bought tumblr just to get access to all those terrible layouts.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
My favorite feature is being unable to scroll to the bottom and click on links.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Biggr

Spectaculr

Doublr - $499 for 2TB!!!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
grandfatheredr on pror

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
rr

wait this is the best thread right

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'd be down with infinite scroll if it showed one image at a time instead of the most images at a time. It's just a crappy way of showcasing your work.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Alright, so we're freaking out about the new Flickr interface; but isn't this what we've been asking for? They've been making little tiny barely-noticeable changes over the years and we've all bitched about it being stuck in 2007. We can't really have something new and revived without a major update. It's like every time facebook changes. It sucks at first but we get used to it and can't imagine going back. When Marissa Mayer took over she said she was going to make things right again, and here's her attempt. Let's give it a few weeks and see how it goes.

In other news, I got an iPhone, instagram, and here I am shamelessly promoting my cat/raccoon photos: http://instagram.com/bradgillette

Also, my dad was just forced into retirement today so I can't gently caress around anymore. If I fail at photography I no longer have a safety net. Woot Fatigue Serious Mode.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
They've had the infinite scroll stuff in the groups and search pages for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Besides, now you can have full-res, full-screen of all of your favorite foot fetish and forced-feminization groups.